Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of horses and money:

https://www.advisorhub.events/women

quote:

3:35 pm - Stilettos to Spurs: Life Lessons Learned From My Horse

Hilary Kosloske, Senior VP, Portfolio Manager, D.A. Davidson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

What? Those are monthly payments. In dollars.

I've been living in CA too long, I assumed that was 750k and 500k. I cant even imagine a house that could be purchased for $750 a month. Hell, a lot of Americans spend that much on a car payment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the buried lede is that his mortgage is actually $1500/mo or more, he's just counting it as 750 net because he's getting 750 a month from his inlaw tenant

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Depends. It boils down to about $100 per ticket per day for a single park, but if you want to jump between parks in a single day the price goes up to ~140. But if you buy more than one day at a time the price goes down on a per-day basis. A 5 day park hopper is about $500, for example.

Note that's per ticket. So if you're taking a family of 4 there for 5 days and get the park hopper you're into it for a bit over $2k just in tickets before you factor in hotels etc. 11k sounds a bit excessive, but who the gently caress knows what they were spending on hotels and airfare. Depending on what their travel costs were it could be anywhere from mildly overspending on some dumb poo poo to going full YOLO with the crazy priced experiences.

drat, I'm really not looking forward to ponying up that disney cash for 3 kids when the time comes in a couple years. Maybe we can keep it 3 days or under in the park.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

rufius posted:

Is Disney really that much? Or is it that much if you buy every loving experience under the sun?

Like if I buy fast passes for family of 4 and go 2 days, am I paying that lol?

No and I’d be willing to bet that they’re sparing no expense, or at the very least not looking at cheaper options when they go, probably because they “don’t want to look poor”.

My family growing up could afford going to Disneyworld because we didn’t fly, my dad drove the family van there down the east coast from PA and back and we paid nothing for a hotel because an aunt lived close. My mom would pack lunches, if/when we did eat at a restaurant, we shared food.

There are people that may not fly first class, but they don’t look at cheaper options, will pay for flights on a whim, or fly when they feel like it, likely not even bothering to consider cheaper flight options or driving. Then, they have to get a car instead of relying on ride share to/from the hotel and back and don’t want to use the provided free transport between parks.

They don’t want to stay with the poors at one of the cheaper hotels, so they opt for a more expensive one that provides all the same options, but people (especially Disney people) know the hotel cost tiers and you can’t post pictures from the pov hotel and have friends knowing you stayed at the cheapo option. Then, they’ll buy a shitload of toys/junk and eat at restaurants every day. They also buy tickets plus the (expensive) fast passes.

I know a lot of people like this.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

They don’t want to stay with the poors at one of the cheaper hotels, so they opt for a more expensive one that provides all the same options, but people (especially Disney people) know the hotel cost tiers and you can’t post pictures from the pov hotel and have friends knowing you stayed at the cheapo option. Then, they’ll buy a shitload of toys/junk and eat at restaurants every day. They also buy tickets plus the (expensive) fast passes.

I know a lot of people like this.

This is the kind of stuff that blows my mind. I consider anyone who spends all-the-way disney trip money more than one with grave suspicion because for that kind of money or less you could be living like a king in some of the most beautiful places in the world. Anything from Paris to remote island beaches, whatever you desire. But you will need a passport.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

I’ve heard people (dumbly) argue that if you have to pinch pennies at a luxury or entertainment experience, you can’t really afford it and are going to have a substandard experience. They would say to try something cheaper in the first place, like springing for all the extras at Six Flags instead of eating sandwiches at Disney.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i got a hundred bucks on competitive cheer

I'll book that at, oh say, -750

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i got a hundred bucks on competitive cheer

The numbers also line up pretty well with travel soccer, softball, or even volleyball. Though the fact that the father is referring to it as something the daughter enjoys and wants to do rather than something she is suffering through "because she could get a scholarship" does make those options less likely.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

rufius posted:

Is Disney really that much? Or is it that much if you buy every loving experience under the sun?

Like if I buy fast passes for family of 4 and go 2 days, am I paying that lol?

Family of 4 traveling from Minneapolis, June 8-15:

Airfare (4 tickets, economy): $1040
Bag fees (4 checked bags): $140
Rental car (Budget, MCO airport, full size sedan): $315
Hotel (1 room 2 queens, Holiday Inn Orlando): $1246
Theme park tickets (7 days, 4 people): $2652
Fast pass (4, 7 days): $560
Captive audience food prices for lunches: $1400
Parking (economy lot, 7 days): $210
Taxes: ~$500
Total ~$8000 before incidentals or breakfast/dinner

So the answer to your question is that you can go much more cheaply if you're going for only two days, but 10 grand is easy to get to for a week vacation, even if you're trying to save money (no eating out except for lunch, non-resort hotel, shared room)

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Motronic posted:

You could be living like a king in some of the most beautiful places in the world. Anything from Paris to remote island beaches, whatever you desire. But you will need a passport.

Yeah, but a lot of people are terrified by the thought of interacting with people who are poor, brown, or speak a weird language. Then again, you get all of that in Florida as well

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I’ve heard people (dumbly) argue that if you have to pinch pennies at a luxury or entertainment experience, you can’t really afford it and are going to have a substandard experience. They would say to try something cheaper in the first place, like springing for all the extras at Six Flags instead of eating sandwiches at Disney.

I think that this can be accurate, depending on how much you are pinching pennies. Having to spend 15-20 hours in a crowded car, spend the weekend in a trash-tier Orlando motel, all so you can go on 6-8 rides (and meet 1 princess) over two days at Disney World does sound less fun than just living it up at the nearest Six Flags.

Of course, typically the people making these arguments are trying to say that anything less than staying at the nicest in-park hotel and paying for every premium experience is a bridge too far, when there is clearly a huge amount of middle ground.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Cerekk posted:

Sounds like the teaser rate on the website. Tack on $100/day insurance, taxes, additional driver fee, extra fees to pick up the car at the airport, prepaid fuel, etc. Renting a modest car for a week can easily be $1000+, even if the web site says "$45/day" or something. (and yes, I realize some of those fees are optional, but this is the bwm thread)

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

drk posted:

Sounds like the teaser rate on the website. Tack on $100/day insurance, taxes, additional driver fee, extra fees to pick up the car at the airport, prepaid fuel, etc. Renting a modest car for a week can easily be $1000+, even if the web site says "$45/day" or something. (and yes, I realize some of those fees are optional, but this is the bwm thread)

Eh I travel to Orlando for work and routinely get a car for $120/4 days. Orlando and Las Vegas have the cheapest rental cars in the country.

Granted that is a corporate rate but either way the point is that "a $11000 Disney vacation" doesn't mean they're splurging on every possible experience -- it probably just means they were there for a week.

Cerekk fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 10, 2024

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Seeing ticket prices for Disney Tokyo going for as low as $50 w/ exchange rate got me pondering the breakeven on flight cost vs days spent at park. Saving $90/day/person on park passes...

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Plus if you were to fly to a foreign country you could spend the other half of your trip doing literally anything else than walking around a giant crowded corporate theme park

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
3 days in disney tokyo for the kids and wife, 3 days crushing my family at street fighter in Shinjuku arcades for me. Fun for all

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I've got family near Disney, so we've spent more than our fair share of time there over the years. It's never going to be a budget proposition - and this is specifically why my wife and I more often than not gently caress off to the Gulf coast around the Tampa area after we do our necessary family poo poo, I don't think we've been inside a park in a decade - but there are absolutely more expensive and less expensive ways to do it.

Basically, there's a minimum threshold of how much it takes to get into the park, but once inside you can go fairly cheap if you're not eating out all the time. However, they also will 100% offer you anything and everything to max out whatever budget you can think of. Want to spend $1000 a day? $5000? $10,000? Oh you better loving believe that if you decide you want to spend like Saudi royalty that they have some insane experience package that will let you do that.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

He's edited the post now to clarify the afterschool activity is competitive gymnastics.

Also I'm sure you will be shocked to learn that a bunch of his other posts are on daytrading and memestock subreddits.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

extravadanza posted:

Seeing ticket prices for Disney Tokyo going for as low as $50 w/ exchange rate got me pondering the breakeven on flight cost vs days spent at park. Saving $90/day/person on park passes...

The yen is insanely weak compared to the dollar right now which sucks real bad for Japan but is incredible for American tourists. A perfect time to visit if you can swing it. Hell, if you went right now you could still catch cherry blossoms in bloom if you head into northern Honshu or Hokkaido.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Plus if you were to fly to a foreign country you could spend the other half of your trip doing literally anything else than walking around a giant crowded corporate theme park

I think the foreign country comparison is a bit bad, just because they're two totally different things. Disney is pretty unique in being a totally curated experience that is jam packed - one end to the other, wall to loving wall - with poo poo that will entertain kids. It's literal kid in a candy store territory just in terms of all the loving poo poo there is to do. It's also pretty well buttoned down, and frankly they're masters at handling those crowds. As long as you're not an idiot going on Christmas or Halloween etc. it's not a crowded feeling experience.

We don't have kids, but I've been on hand for traveling with nephews and nieces and there's just a different kind of vacation. There's no trying to find some kid friendly activity that they want to do, or dealing with a bored 10 year old who doesn't give two shits about the amazing cultural experience you're giving them.

If you're a 30 year old disney freak going there by yourself? Yeah, get a loving life. But I totally get why someone with a few school aged kids opts for Disney instead of dragging them around Paris.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

extravadanza posted:

3 days in disney tokyo for the kids and wife, 3 days crushing my family at street fighter in Shinjuku arcades for me. Fun for all
There is no experience that will make you feel older than walking into a Tokyo arcade.

One of my traveling companions dragged me to a maid cafe, and even that paled in comparison.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Volcano posted:

He's edited the post now to clarify the afterschool activity is competitive gymnastics.

Also I'm sure you will be shocked to learn that a bunch of his other posts are on daytrading and memestock subreddits.

Okay, the fact that the gymnastics is still only an afterschool activity and the kid isn’t living in one of those crazy gymnastic prep camps means they’re doing it better than many other parents.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

extravadanza posted:

drat, I'm really not looking forward to ponying up that disney cash for 3 kids when the time comes in a couple years. Maybe we can keep it 3 days or under in the park.

As a kid who never went to Disney and has never been to Disney in 34 years of life...

You can just not do it. You can say no. It won't ruin your kids. I turned out fine. Ignore my post history.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
We live within driving distance of a Disney park and had annual passes on and off. We'd go a few times during the year which spread out ticket costs to ~$30/person/day. That got less affordable since the pass prices have gone up significantly (and now our kids are old enough to need tickets)

Day passes over the last 25 years have outpaced inflation by 5x, and the annual pass prices have doubled that.
The highest tier of annual pass with no restrictions in 2011 was $389. The current one in 2024 is $1,649 (with 14 blackout dates).

They are experts at separating people from money via customer segmentation. They do not want people driving in, staying off property, and going several times per year on a $500 pass doing it on the cheap. They want the whales who are buying multi-day passes, staying on-property, and having the whole all inclusive experience at $15k+.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
This may be a controversial opinion but I would probably give up my second house before making my daughter give up an extracurricular that she enjoys and is almost certainly positively impacting her health and discipline

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Volcano posted:

Cerekk posted:

This may be a controversial opinion but I would probably give up my second house before making my daughter give up an extracurricular that she enjoys and is almost certainly positively impacting her health and discipline

That actually is much better than tumbling or cheer, which are custom designed to excract money from parents. The kid can probably still participate in school gymnastics for free - just not the competition team.

Volcano posted:

I'm sure gambling has nothing to do with these budget shortfalls.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cerekk posted:

It's not a second house. The second mortgage is a HELOC payment that they used to pay off their first $40K of debt, that they had before they got their second $40K of debt.

edit: I'm pleasantly surprised by the activity.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

Cerekk posted:

Family of 4 traveling from Minneapolis, June 8-15:

Airfare (4 tickets, economy): $1040
Bag fees (4 checked bags): $140
Hotel (1 room 2 queens, Holiday Inn Orlando): $1246
Theme park tickets (7 days, 4 people): $2652
Fast pass (4, 7 days): $560
Captive audience food prices for lunches: $1400
Parking (economy lot, 7 days): $210
Taxes: ~$500
Total ~$8000 before incidentals or breakfast/dinner

So the answer to your question is that you can go much more cheaply if you're going for only two days, but 10 grand is easy to get to for a week vacation, even if you're trying to save money (no eating out except for lunch, non-resort hotel, shared room)

This is absolutely similar to what I priced out going to Orlando for Disney World and it is insane how much everything costs at Disneyworld.

Of course if you want to do the sweet sweet Disney Star Wars experience, here: https://www.theverge.com/22949905/star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-interactive-disney-world-photos-price, it starts at $4.8k per person and goes up from there lol

quote:

As such, this is not an assessment of whether the whole package is worth the eye-watering $4,809 starting price that Disney is charging for a Galactic Starcruiser stay. (The exorbitant price tag was never far from my mind when I was touring the “ship,” though.)

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Going to an amusement park without buying whatever their fastpass thing is is miserable now. And I'm too cheap to buy it, so I think I may have scarred my kid and his friends, lol.

Maybe teaching them that theme parks suck will be the gift that keeps on giving.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Depends. It boils down to about $100 per ticket per day for a single park, but if you want to jump between parks in a single day the price goes up to ~140. But if you buy more than one day at a time the price goes down on a per-day basis. A 5 day park hopper is about $500, for example.

Note that's per ticket. So if you're taking a family of 4 there for 5 days and get the park hopper you're into it for a bit over $2k just in tickets before you factor in hotels etc. 11k sounds a bit excessive, but who the gently caress knows what they were spending on hotels and airfare. Depending on what their travel costs were it could be anywhere from mildly overspending on some dumb poo poo to going full YOLO with the crazy priced experiences.

Took a kid to Disney World for a week for a birthday, 3 adults 1 child, ~11k was about right for all in on tickets + food + mid range resort.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah no, you have to get the fastpass or it's hell.

My kid's scout troop decided to spend their cookie money on a 4 day Disney trip so she gets a trip for free with food and souvenir allowances. I am the only mom not paying to come along on the trip, because ugh Disney.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Cyrano4747 posted:

I think the foreign country comparison is a bit bad, just because they're two totally different things. Disney is pretty unique in being a totally curated experience that is jam packed - one end to the other, wall to loving wall - with poo poo that will entertain kids. It's literal kid in a candy store territory just in terms of all the loving poo poo there is to do. It's also pretty well buttoned down, and frankly they're masters at handling those crowds. As long as you're not an idiot going on Christmas or Halloween etc. it's not a crowded feeling experience.

Not only that, but it's easy. Everything is right there, always convenient and polished, no need to think. Especially for people with kids and frantic lives, a no-stress vacation is valuable. This is why Disney, cruises, etc. continue to be popular even when they're more expensive than other, incredibly awesome places - some people just want to turn their brain off and consume for a week.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Disney does not seem to be a no-stress vacation

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Disney has timeshares, and my Dad foolishly got one. My Christmas present one year was a guide on how I could reserve the time share and pay him back, if I wanted. Not only was that hilarious, the guide itself went into detail how you have to be a hawk on the reservation website, because Disney-crazed people apparently reserve the dates the moment they go up for reservation, six months in advance, like they do for those fast passes. Lol.

I can still hear him saying, you know there's not much to do at Disney after the first couple times, and the regret was already palpable.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 10, 2024

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
anyone who wants to go to Disney should be made to watch this before they decide to buy a fast pass or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yjZpBq1XBE

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

YggiDee posted:

anyone who wants to go to Disney should be made to watch this before they decide to buy a fast pass or not

everyone should watch it, regardless

i've watched it more than once

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Watch it and then buy a fast pass because if they're so determined to remove it it must be worth having.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My company hired a guy to be an on-site engineer with our biggest customer. The only requirement was that he had to be able to drive to their site in Georgia if needed.

He moved to Orlando, because he is probably the most Disneyfied adult man I have ever met. He and his whole family appear to spend pretty much all of their leisure time consuming Disney product, attending Disney events, and getting excited about the next Disney product.

Warmachine posted:

As a kid who never went to Disney and has never been to Disney in 34 years of life...

You can just not do it. You can say no. It won't ruin your kids. I turned out fine. Ignore my post history.

This is my plan.

My wife went to Disneyland for a high school trip so she's got fond memories but I'm gonna push for foreign travel instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

YggiDee posted:

Let me sum it up: get a fast pass and have fun. Don’t get a fast pass and don’t have fun. The video tells you why.