Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I kinda go back and forth on the whole Wizard's secret love child thing, on the one hand there are a LOT of hints that it's Abigail (her latent magic and seemingly now permanent purple hair, Caroline's old visits to the Wizard tower she had to stop because of Pierre's jealousy, the Wizard's speculation about having a child in the village and heavily implying he and the Witch are separated because he had an affair) but OTOH I just kinda like the idea that it's Caroline better.

I do wish there was a mod that would add events around Abigail actually becoming his apprentice though, there's a ton of setup about her magical talent and his desire to train someone, but it all just gets left hanging. Hell I wish in general there was more progress for the characters who you don't end up marrying besides them all ending up perpetually stuck in their respective ruts. I'm way too far into my 1.6 save that's already kinda running out of steam to throw in the rival hearts mod, but it's definitely going in next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

I kinda go back and forth on the whole Wizard's secret love child thing, on the one hand there are a LOT of hints that it's Abigail (her latent magic and seemingly now permanent purple hair, Caroline's old visits to the Wizard tower she had to stop because of Pierre's jealousy, the Wizard's speculation about having a child in the village and heavily implying he and the Witch are separated because he had an affair) but OTOH I just kinda like the idea that it's Caroline better.

I do wish there was a mod that would add events around Abigail actually becoming his apprentice though, there's a ton of setup about her magical talent and his desire to train someone, but it all just gets left hanging. Hell I wish in general there was more progress for the characters who you don't end up marrying besides them all ending up perpetually stuck in their respective ruts. I'm way too far into my 1.6 save that's already kinda running out of steam to throw in the rival hearts mod, but it's definitely going in next time.

The thing I like about it being Caroline is that Abigail's magic and wacky hair can both be explained by the witch and wizard being her grandparents, it also explains why Caroline's hair is such a weird green hue as well, the only thing that doesn't track is Pierre being jealous about it

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TurnipFritter posted:

like she curses Haley's Camera so everything she takes a photo of dies,

Worlds shitiest twilight zone: a magic camera that will cause any living thing that’s taken a photo of to die.

It does not make them die sooner. It just makes them mortal on the off chance they weren’t already

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Worlds shitiest twilight zone: a magic camera that will cause any living thing that’s taken a photo of to die.

It does not make them die sooner. It just makes them mortal on the off chance they weren’t already

Smartphones are thus a tool of anti-magic activists trying to eliminate the immortals from our world.

This reminds me of how in the TV show Ultraviolet (no relation to the movies, very good stuff) their vampires didn't show on film, so when they went after them with guns they'd attach a little videoscreen to the top of the gun. If you could see it with your eyes but it's not on the screen, it's a vampire.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

explosivo posted:

Convenient Inventory with the deposit to nearby feature is great, NPC map locations is great, Visible Fish is great... just a bunch of little things that really improve the experience without feeling overly cheaty.
I haven't played this game since launch but honestly NPC Map Locations is probably what will get me to do it

I don't love how there's still so much friction compared to games that have come out since, but all that stuff is moddable so :getin:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

This is how we defeat Yoba.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Mederlock posted:

the only thing that doesn't track is Pierre being jealous about it

Pierre being a dick always tracks

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Maybe I will actually finally install NPC Map Locations whenever I get to 1.6 (read: when I have finished FF7 Rebirth)

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
hmmm this is concerning, the internet has taught me a wizard's source of power is remaining celibate

Faucet Drinker
Apr 10, 2007

Seems like we need a paternity test expansion with its own follow up character progressions

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

hmmm this is concerning, the internet has taught me a wizard's source of power is remaining celibate

Are you conflating wizards and monks? Or perhaps wizards and incels?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Or perhaps wizards and incels?

Incels are certainly magical. For example, Clint manages a disappearing act whenever its time to pick up the tools :argh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mad Wack posted:

It's perfectly fine as long as he doesn't have an 8th son.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah how many kids does the Wiz have, and does he happen to have 7 older brothers?

...dammit Mr. Qi is his 8th son, isn't he

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Honestly one of my favorite things about Stardew is that they DONT outright just tell us/prove these things.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Abigail being the Wizard's child feels almost too clean, because it gives a concrete excuse for why her family is somewhat dysfunctional even though a lot of families are unfortunately just like that. Their situation honestly reminds me a lot of the Pataki's in Hey Arnold: the dad who's obsessed with his business and money to the point of neglecting his family, the spacey mom who leans on "smoothies" "tea" to cope with her low key depression, and a daughter who's honestly got quite a bit going on but sorta falls through the cracks because she doesn't act the way her dad wants/expects her to. A family that on the surface level seems like it should be stable and great, but in reality struggles to really emotionally connect with one another.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I also enjoy that it's not outright stated. It's fun to pick that apart for yourself the first time through.

Thanks to the goon who recommended Dynamic Reflections! That plus visible fish has made the water in the game look stunning.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Enjoy your last year winning, Pierre.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Zesty posted:

lmao

I've decided I reject the Abigail as the Wizard's daughter theory. Just a strange bit of fanfiction people grasp onto. Farewell...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I feel like this makes it so explicitly probable that people who knee-jerk say it can't be the case are just weird hipsters.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My personal headcanons are so complicated that I need conspiracy boards to explain them, I'm not moved by simple A + B = C logic. Plebians.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Midnight Voyager posted:

I feel like this makes it so explicitly probable that people who knee-jerk say it can't be the case are just weird hipsters.

There's no way all these very suggestive lines got put into the game just for the answer to be "actually, nah" That's just not how storytelling works.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The wizard's daughter was your grandma, that's why she is never seen nor mentioned by grandpa, she blanked his mind. Half the birds in town are your aunts and uncles, your dad only survived because he had a rabbit's foot in his pocket.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think Concerned Ape made a very chill, feelgood game full of overall decent people. He added character flaws to many of them to prevent them from being boring, one dimensional cardboard cutouts, and in some cases opportunities for character growth. Of course the internet, being the internet, hyper-fixates on those flaws, and enters a feedback loop that ends with "X character is actually Hitler and in this essay I will explain why their existence is the worst thing ever and they deserve to be violently murdered"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Mostly true, but Pierre and Lewis are just terrible people.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Abigail is the Krobus's daughter.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

brb writing a mod that makes Krobus always refer to himself in third person as The Krobus

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Eric the Mauve posted:

brb writing a mod that makes Krobus always refer to himself in third person as The Krobus

I will install this, idk where that habit came from but I can't shake it

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I genuinely love this thread, it's like 10% game mechanics and 90% discussions about lore that comes from a place of love. It's all so wholesome

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

Caroline is one of the least likely women in the game to be the wizard's daughter, because she specifically talks about moving into town and him already being there. So in order to make that work, you have to construct some extra backstory about her family living in the valley before and her somehow moving away on her own, or the wizard and witch living wherever she was from and coincidentally all moving back to the same place, and now you've gone out on a limb to explain something that the game has already given you a simpler and more sensible explanation for. And that still doesn't get at why the wizard would want you to keep it a secret; that makes sense if it's a love child from his affair with the local shopkeeper's wife, but doesn't make any sense if it's just his regular-rear end kid with the person he was married to at the time.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Radia posted:

lmao

I've decided I reject the Abigail as the Wizard's daughter theory. Just a strange bit of fanfiction people grasp onto. Farewell...

You can't do that! You can't just have an opinion like that!

I love the thread too. And when I bitch about Stardew characters it's just because it's fun to be a bit mean to fictional people that it can't hurt. I don't think Pierre is the worst, I just enjoy calling him names. Clint I *do* think comes off much creepier than was perhaps intended.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Sloober posted:

that's some monstrous sprinkler placement there chief

we’ve been over this. i could move the whole column down a row, but then i’d just have three tiles of coverage wasted on the bottom row instead, and additionally i’d have wonky lines of sprinklers. not sure what you want me to do? :shrug:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

we’ve been over this. i could move the whole column down a row, but then i’d just have three tiles of coverage wasted on the bottom row instead, and additionally i’d have wonky lines of sprinklers. not sure what you want me to do? :shrug:

They're just joshin, your farm is perfect because it is yours

Hey anyone who has a bit of their farm they're proud of, let's see it! I want some inspiration going into Year 2.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The worst things about Clint are his festival dialogues pining for Emily after you’ve already married her

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Zesty posted:

the trash display whips rear end tbh

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

counterfeitsaint posted:

I think Concerned Ape made a very chill, feelgood game full of overall decent people. He added character flaws to many of them to prevent them from being boring, one dimensional cardboard cutouts, and in some cases opportunities for character growth. Of course the internet, being the internet, hyper-fixates on those flaws, and enters a feedback loop that ends with "X character is actually Hitler and in this essay I will explain why their existence is the worst thing ever and they deserve to be violently murdered"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
My goal for the next grange display is going to be 9 Lucky Purple Shorts now that I know where an endless supply is.

I'm not patient enough, but you could theoretically decorate the entire town with them now.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

counterfeitsaint posted:

My goal for the next grange display is going to be 9 Lucky Purple Shorts now that I know where an endless supply is.

I'm not patient enough, but you could theoretically decorate the entire town with them now.

Gold-trimmed shorts in the middle, I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Not gunna link Twitter, but apparently there’s a new patch (1.6.4) coming next week - “more bug fixes and a few goodies”

And it has no impact on the timing of console 1.6 releases.