Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

McGavin posted:

It's always better for you to earn more money.

For most people yes, but if you're on disability or food stamps or certain other types of benefits a 25¢ raise can cost you most or all of them. I worked at a grocery store where we'd specifically hire people on benefits because they would refuse raises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

There's also a limit on how much someone can earn while being claimed as a "dependent".
Gimme the money.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

And he somehow WASN'T the worst person at that company.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

And he somehow WASN'T the worst person at that company.

Yeah, you already said you worked there too. 🙄

(jk)

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Cthulu Carl posted:

... and once said he had a list of women to rape if society fell apart ...

Funny how every workplace has some variant of this guy. Everyone knows not to leave the intern alone in a room with him yet somehow nothing can be done.

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Related is the guy who keeps bringing up violent crimes and saying if he were there the violent crimer wouldn't be alive. Had one of these today and I'm not sure if the message they want to send is that they're unstable and not in control of their emotions and think about muggings and rape and murder a lot but there you go

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

A Stupid Baby posted:

Related is the guy who keeps bringing up violent crimes and saying if he were there the violent crimer wouldn't be alive. Had one of these today and I'm not sure if the message they want to send is that they're unstable and not in control of their emotions and think about muggings and rape and murder a lot but there you go

Oh yeah, we had that guy too. Weirdly into The Walking Dead and doomsday prepping. Probably just dreaming of the day he gets to shoot people.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

There was a guy like that at the same company as weather guy.

Dude bragged about having a Luger with SS grips and also having so many guns he had one in arm's reach no matter wear he was in his home.

Also that the guns were loaded and unsecured so he could get to shooting faster.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

There was a guy like that at the same company as weather guy.

Dude bragged about having a Luger with SS grips and also having so many guns he had one in arm's reach no matter wear he was in his home.

Also that the guns were loaded and unsecured so he could get to shooting faster.

Dear World,

My house is full of easily accessible high value items that are incredibly easy to launder. I hope nobody shows up during my regular working hours and takes them all.

Sincerely,

David Ipshit

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Barudak posted:

Dear World,

My house is full of easily accessible high value items that are incredibly easy to launder. I hope nobody shows up during my regular working hours and takes them all.

Sincerely,

David Ipshit

Dude also got yelled at by the front desk because he kept getting his Amazon orders of Doritos and Mountain Dew delivered to the office and sounded like he was going to keel over and die anytime he walked more than twenty feet.

So maybe he did need guns squirreled away in every nook and cranny because he sure as hell wasn't going to be able to run to a gun locker.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

He needs so many guns around because they keep popping out of his cheeto and grease soaked hands like a bar of soap

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The best part is that dipshits like that always live in the safest areas possible yet talk like their house is in downtown Mogadishu.

It’s all just so much Walter Mitty fantasy overcompensation with a huge side of fantasizing about killing “those people” and breathlessly posting on next door when they see someone walk down the block who they don’t think belongs there. Why? I leave that as an exercise for the reader.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

The best part is that dipshits like that always live in the safest areas possible yet talk like their house is in downtown Mogadishu.

It’s all just so much Walter Mitty fantasy overcompensation with a huge side of fantasizing about killing “those people” and breathlessly posting on next door when they see someone walk down the block who they don’t think belongs there. Why? I leave that as an exercise for the reader.

I shared a cube wall with a giant scared suburban baby named scott. He was often planning and talking about his upcoming trips to Disney world, and otherwise was fretting about urban crime. For geographical context: he lived and worked in the suburbs south of Denver that are the whitest, richest, safest, and most vanilla (Highlands ranch). Denver itself is a safe, vanilla city for the most part. Yet Scott lived in fear that ravening urban criminals were migrating southwards towards his enclave. So he did the logical thing and bought a second home in Wyoming, because he felt that Colorado's days were numbered, what with legal pot and all. He swore that WY was still safe. The only catch is that he'd have to white knuckle drive north through Denver on the highway to reach Laramie, praying that his car didn't break down.

This was in the context of the 2012 election, and wouldn't you know it, he was convinced that a second Obama term would spell the end of Civilization. I sometimes wonder how deranged of a trump supporter he must be these days.

The best part of office life is that I got to absorb all of this by cube proximity. I never talked to him and would just overhear this garbage every day.

My other cube wall was a boomer lady who vocalized literally everything and spoke to herself all day, making a continuous commentary to nobody in particular. She didn't have any horrendous viewpoints, though, so she got a pass.

Why yes, I did start wearing headphones for 8 hours a day!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I didn't notice that Wyoming and Colorado are next door and I lol at all the possible misconceptions and stereotypes on both sides.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Barudak posted:

He needs so many guns around because they keep popping out of his cheeto and grease soaked hands like a bar of soap

LOL, amazing visual.

My boss is pissing off all the construction contractors we work with and I get to be the bad news messenger for his many twiddlings to the blueprints. I hate it.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Barudak posted:

]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_rvPl25zq0

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Wild EEPROM posted:

I love hearing stories of companies trying to cheap out on things and it ends up costing them so much more than if they just spent the money

I have gotten to the point in my brewing career where I'm no longer shy about telling owners that You Get What You Pay For, especially when it comes to critical equipment and capex projects. I dreaded whenever my boss in Denmark told me he'd gotten a Good Deal on something, because it meant that disaster was imminent within a month of using whatever he'd gotten. For instance, the 900 used kegs from China that were so filthy I had to manually clean every single one because there were chunks of mold too big to fit through a keg spear, or red wine barrels from South Africa that ruined every beer I tried to do barrel-aging with. Even my much more reasonable current boss had to be talked out of driving three hours away to buy a grundy (a janky oldschool serving tank) that he could Get A Good Deal On, because a) we didn't have the room in our already-packed cold room, b) grundys are a nightmare to work with even in pristine condition, and c) I couldn't make it out there to do an inspection myself, which I absolutely insisted on doing to make sure they didn't just sell us a giant pile of rust.

Also, cheaping out on things and not watching the contractors who gave you the cheapest quote is how the previous brewery I worked at had floors that sloped away from the floor drains.

Rain Brain
Dec 15, 2006

in ghostlier demarcations, keener sounds
Put in a request for access to two different but related data sets a couple weeks ago. Hear back last week that one of them was rejected, oh well it's new, they might not be officially granting access yet, and the other set is more immediately important anyway. Find out today that I was rejected for the second set (by the same person who rejected the first request) because I didn't have permission to view the first set.

Thinking I might be caught in a ouroboros of bureaucracy I dug deeper into the first rejection only to find that it had been issued because the field on the pdf approval form you're required to submit with access requests has a very small visible window for entering the names of the specific folders you need, and the requestor had failed to click into the field and scroll down to read the full list that had been entered into it.

Turns out this is not the first time they've rejected requests, which take weeks to go through, because of their inability to use Adobe Acrobat.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

I worked at a grocery store where we'd specifically hire people on benefits because they would refuse raises.

Speaking of management hiring a certain kind of people for dumb reasons, my work somehow has a preference for hiring people with mild-to-severe dyslexia. I'm up to 4-5 coworkers in various positions and functions already. No idea if it's a coincidence or conscious decision.

At one of my previous jobs (~20y ago) my boss liked to hire people with Asperger's, because "they focus real good on their work". They were ok but personal hygiene wasn't great.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Rain Brain posted:

Turns out this is not the first time they've rejected requests, which take weeks to go through, because of their inability to use Adobe Acrobat.

At my work we have a form that is a completely fillable PDF that does automatic calculations based on the numbers that you enter. The number of forms I have to reject because the user printed it out, filled it out by hand, and got the calculations wrong is staggering.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

McGavin posted:

At my work we have a form that is a completely fillable PDF that does automatic calculations based on the numbers that you enter. The number of forms I have to reject because the user printed it out, filled it out by hand, and got the calculations wrong is staggering.

I'd memory-holed this: I used to work for a ocmpany that used Excel sheets for expense reports. I had an employee who'd print out a blank, fill it by hand. Scan it (on a flatbed) and email a jpg it to me for approval.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Once upon a time, there was a form I had to fill out in order to start an ECN. The form was created by a busy body. It was a Word document, not a proper form, underscores instead of fields, and for some reason in the Diablo font. 100% of the form was copy paste from our ticket system (except the parts you literally could not copy and had to hand type, these parts had no bearing on the ECN). To gently caress with the busy body, I began printing the forms and filling them out by hand. They would reject them because they could not copy and paste from the form.

The person that busy body replaced was great. You'd send her a ticket number, she'd send you a ECN number. Then she got pregnant and quit after maternity leave was up (good for her).

Once upon a time I was selected as a possible candidate for being interviewed by our ISO9001 auditor. I said, "Great! Maybe we can talk about our ticket to ECN process which is completely undocumented." I was unselected as a possible ISO9001 interview candidate.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Salami Surgeon posted:

Dumb poo poo your work does: for some reason in the Diablo font.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

pumped up for school posted:

I'd memory-holed this: I used to work for a ocmpany that used Excel sheets for expense reports. I had an employee who'd print out a blank, fill it by hand. Scan it (on a flatbed) and email a jpg it to me for approval.

That only happened once, and you showed them how excel works and it was never a problem again, right?

McGavin posted:

Most of the fillable pdfs I have to use are virtually unusable trash. Half the timeI end up recreating them in word or Excel, filling that in, pudding and emailing it back. Noone's ever complained so idk what the gently caress they were thinking in the first place.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Outrail posted:

That only happened once, and you showed them how excel works and it was never a problem again, right?

Lol. Lmao even. Every time I've tried to teach someone a better way I've been reprimanded for interfering with their workflow by their managers after the person I taught complained.

I'm stopped offering help and instead watch people write down numbers on a sticky note. Close and save the excel file. Open the other file. Then hand key in the number from the note. And repeat for each number.

I have to assume it's intentional at this point.

Especially since I'm being asked to offload some of the work and the tools I've developed back to the person who used to do them. That a new director is takkng over and noting that some of her team only seem to have about a day's work between the 4 of them is probably a coincidence.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Outrail posted:

I'll cop to "sort of." I was a new hire manager working remote. This employee was an engineer w/ 20 years on me and we'd never really met. I was perhaps more timid of hurting feelings than I should have been. It took several iterations before we got away from that. Amazing engineer, though.

But since we're talking forms, same job: OSHA 300 logs. For those not in the know that's a standardized statement classifying work-related injuries. This isn't just an internal form that gets filed and buried in a company storage locker, it gets submitted to the gov't and (on request) to clients who want to evaluate your safety record. So you'd think a teensy bit of professionalism, or formal writing, would be in order.

Handwritten by the H&S person at the time: "Broke pointer finger finder bone." [<--- that's my favorite] "Sat on cactus while toilet requiring stickes" "Hurt self drinking drink" "Got sick" and so on. My contribution "Stung 25x by bees - a LOT!"

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Outrail posted:

Most of the fillable pdfs I have to use are virtually unusable trash. Half the timeI end up recreating them in word or Excel, filling that in, pudding and emailing it back. Noone's ever complained so idk what the gently caress they were thinking in the first place.

This one is actually good and works as intended. I check the manually completed forms by entering the numbers into the automated form.

I once had someone recreate the form in Excel. It was wrong.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Ravus Ursus posted:

I'm stopped offering help and instead watch people write down numbers on a sticky note. Close and save the excel file. Open the other file. Then hand key in the number from the note. And repeat for each number.

I used to work at a place that had both of these people except it was the same person.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ravus Ursus posted:

Lol. Lmao even. Every time I've tried to teach someone a better way I've been reprimanded for interfering with their workflow by their managers after the person I taught complained.

I have to assume it's intentional at this point.

Especially since I'm being asked to offload some of the work and the tools I've developed back to the person who used to do them. That a new director is takkng over and noting that some of her team only seem to have about a day's work between the 4 of them is probably a coincidence.

If you have to deal with that can't you say 'they are interfering with MY workflow. Please submit an excel file with the required data.' and then report them for not doing the work. gently caress em.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I try and have a little sympathy for older workers who have been someplace forever. I used to work in a factory where one department used to do some very manual work but you got to sit down all day in an air conditioned room and it actually did take some skill so it was considered a prestige job for workers who had "paid there dues".

Then in the 2000s they automated the whole process and suddenly all these old folks who were still 10-15 years out from retirement had computer toucher jobs for the first time in their lives and 1 week of re-training. Most of them got by through brute force memorization of where to click in what order. Any software updates that changed the UI would hobble the whole department.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Our version skipped the step of using Excel & would take out a blank piece of paper & ruler & begin drawing lines. I was chatting with a brand new hire she was supposed to be “training” & he had concerns.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Handwritten by the H&S person at the time: "Broke pointer finger finder bone." [<--- that's my favorite] "Sat on cactus while toilet requiring stickes" "Hurt self drinking drink" "Got sick" and so on. My contribution "Stung 25x by bees - a LOT!"

I see they entrusted you as head bee guy, too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7TV0bRmOtY

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Outrail posted:

If you have to deal with that can't you say 'they are interfering with MY workflow. Please submit an excel file with the required data.' and then report them for not doing the work. gently caress em.

God help me I wish. I thought toxic positivity was a joke until I got here. I poo poo you not, rule one is "you have to be nice"

Any criticism of any kind? Not ok. It's aggressive and not nice. But this dumb rear end who either can't read a pivot table or a regular table to find an item number and it's cost can send me a list of items she's "seeing conflicting information on, can you please verify it?" Can just lie so she doesn't have to do the work and that's ok.

She didn't find conflicts with data. The poo poo she was looking for doesn't exist in the database because it was discontinued in 2015 so it's information is hidden specifically so that people don't try to quote products based on decades old costs.

But I'm the rear end in a top hat for asking her to check again because I see the data table has notes saying exactly that. I'm the dick because I wouldn't just do her job for her because she was "so swamped trying to put this last minute presentation together". She's known about it for 3 weeks and has put it off. I know this because I can hear every conversation down the hallways because it bounces directly into our office and she has spent SO MUCH TIME bemoaning her inability to eat gluten that she hasn't had time to do this presentation instead.

This place is a trash fire. The quantitative analyst said he didn't understand our business but he understood business as a whole so he was definitely gonna help us leverage AI to take us to the next level.

We make and sell craft supplies. Our best selling item is poster board. But they're trying to expand the market by selling to *checks notes* farm supply and feed stores???

I will miss the bonkers nonsense this place presents every day. It's a fevere dream, but I imagine most small businesses that are into second and third generation aren't too different from this.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
Our national accounts manager for a big client called a sudden meeting with our district's branches over billing issues. Didn't check availability, pissed off a bunch of people. We have been asking her for MONTHS for information and help so we can get stuff billed and she's either said it wasn't her job (it is) or ghosted any requests made on email chains where she's specifically asked what she can do to 'remove roadblocks'. She is incredibly lazy and useless. My branch in particular was really far behind due to a mix of my predecessor just not doing the billing (it's not the main part of the job, we just get it thrown on the pile) and the person on the clients end having literal cancer and dementia and not processing what stuff my predecessor did manage to do. They've since gone on medical leave, but their replacements are saying they won't sign anything.

So the NAM sent out this scary looking excel file showing the amounts each branch was behind, and my branch was behind almost 200k. I look at the invoices she's got listed and no, I've done like 75% of those and the others I'm stuck because the client contacts are telling me they won't pay. I call our invoicing specialist I've been working closely with, and she is also pissed because she has a lot to do that isn't dealing with someone throwing a power tanty. Also her numbers were completely wrong!

So on the call I can practically hear this NAM sharpening her knives when she gets to my branch. The invoicing specialist pipes up and informs her that her numbers are incorrect, sends her the correct sheet. I ask to share my screen and present my own tracking sheet where I have documented who signed what when and who has told me to pound sand. You could feel the frustration over the denied pound of flesh. She told me to send her the spreadsheet and emails so she can follow up. Can't wait to have this happen again in two months with no work on her end!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Ravus Ursus posted:

I will miss the bonkers nonsense this place presents every day. It's a fevere dream, but I imagine most small businesses that are into second and third generation aren't too different from this.

I basically became the second gen manager of our org and yeah, that feels.

In some ways it feels like I've systematically taken most of our projects out back and drowned them in the pond so we can replace them with similar looking but functional projects.

Never would have happened if my bosses let me tho, I have to give them credit there. I can't imagine trying to fix a small business while the aging out of touch owners refuse to let go.

Flipside is it's trivial for them to cripple us with 'implement my genius ideas'. That's been quite a fight over the past year but I'm starting to win this war with the power of brute force stubborness, malicious compliance and being unpleasant and difficult to work with.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Tomorrow my job consists of riding the train, buying jelly, and mailing jelly.
It's very nice jelly.
https://www.kitchoan.jp/shop/c/ck1013/

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

Tomorrow my job consists of riding the train, buying jelly, and mailing jelly.
It's very nice jelly.
https://www.kitchoan.jp/shop/c/ck1013/

looks peachy keen

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Ravus Ursus posted:

We make and sell craft supplies. Our best selling item is poster board. But they're trying to expand the market by selling to *checks notes* farm supply and feed stores???

Hey, the kids in 4H have to make presentations on poster board!

I have no idea if they still do that. Or ever did.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Farm supply stores are Walmarts that sell fertilized chicken eggs and fish antibiotics. Poster board seems right on brand, as well as most other craft supplies I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

zedprime posted:

Farm supply stores are Walmarts that sell fertilized chicken eggs and fish antibiotics. Poster board seems right on brand, as well as most other craft supplies I can think of.

I buy pond fish food from a farm supply store and it's wild wtf all they sell in there. Also sometimes you get to see cute little baby chickens or ducks.

I've literally found hardcover first edition books with full number lines by well known authors in the discount bin at Tractor Supply Company.