Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hmn, had my first mid-mission CTD. Gotta say, that's the sort of thing that won't happen too many times before I just go play Apex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I bought a bag of lovely, juicy, sweet clementines, but a couple of them were rotten so I went back to sucking pig turds through a straw

Droxis
Dec 24, 2004

"The only thing peace accomplished was stagnation."

Sagebrush posted:

Also the termicide operations were pretty good and it's too bad that they were just a one-off. Idk maybe when the bugs get huge from all the steroids we're feeding them we'll have to gas them again. Here's to hoping

I feel as if the termicide missions are going to be part of an ongoing, slowly expanding and eventually rotating roster of context based missions. Hopefully, with what I assume is an inevitable all sides clusterfuck on the galactic war map, we will have a faster turn over on mission variety.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hmn, had my first mid-mission CTD. Gotta say, that's the sort of thing that won't happen too many times before I just go play Apex.

ok

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Droxis posted:

I feel as if the termicide missions are going to be part of an ongoing, slowly expanding and eventually rotating roster of context based missions. Hopefully, with what I assume is an inevitable all sides clusterfuck on the galactic war map, we will have a faster turn over on mission variety.

I'd rather they fix pathing on a lot of missions because the termicide missions were weird. And the defense maps, currently, are also weird as gently caress.

I think it's better if they just make the defense missions be like protecting a 20-25 step drill rather than whatever the gently caress the termicide tower missions were. At least the AI seems able to deal with that.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Nordick posted:

I bought a bag of lovely, juicy, sweet clementines, but a couple of them were rotten so I went back to sucking pig turds through a straw

we've all been there

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Ravenfood posted:

I said it a few days ago, but on Menket or similar the extract missions can have fire tornadoes turn the entire area into a sea of flames which gives you exactly gently caress-all options to win.

Flame-resistant armour would be an instabuy for me

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Nordick posted:

A diligent citizen watches for rotten communist agitators and takes appropriate action.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thanks for letting everyone know.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

well poo poo, we can't do this without you.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I appreciate that a game called Apex is presented as the alternative / opposite to a game named for, not only diving, but diving into Hell. Can't get any lower than that!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
They hate liberty

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Dammit.

Playing from a hotel room and it's going great, we're on the pad waiting for a transport and we finished everything and got a shitload of samples.

All of a sudden I'm alone, the other three guys I was just talking do have disappeared. As did all the robots and all their lasers. It's just me on the pad by myself. But the strategems the other three guys are throwing down are still popping into existence. I still see bombs raining down and blowing up empty landscape. Then the shuttle shows up, and I hop into it with 0 samples, and then the game crashes.

Neat failure mode, at least.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
:argh: I was angry and shitposting, but now I just feel foolish.

Played with goons and tried out that new priority defense mission. It's a welcome change of pace and much better than the "get 500" kills; I hope we see more missions that focus us on a single area.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Finally played the new missions type. Evacuate high value assets? Amazing. 10/10. No notes. Evacuate dumb farmers? Still sucks. 1/10. Let them die they were dumb enough to farm dirt and not join the Hell Divers.

Quasar cannon is fun. I've mainly been an EAT person, but the QC adds a fun, risk/reward alternative.

This game can be very frustrating at times, but its highs way outshine its lows. There's something about your character cackling like a maniac while they jetpack off a ledge and unleash their flamethrower onto a pile of bugs that shriek as they explode into piles of melted goo that's so satisfying.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I tried to get someone into the game, they played for like an hour and said "this game is trash, I'm going back to Apex." Literally left in the middle of a mission.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I love the flavor text that the bugs are just sentient enough to hate voting.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The new defense mission is fun but does show that any kind of chokepoint defense is trivialized by 1 or 2 EMS mortars. It only gets spicy when the bots decide to land on the cliffs above.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Triarii posted:

I tried to get someone into the game, they played for like an hour and said "this game is trash, I'm going back to Apex." Literally left in the middle of a mission.

Sounds like you should report them for treason immediately.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

i feel like the new mission would benefit heavily from not having two to three hulks, a half dozen striders and 10 devastators trying to walk through a wall by the end

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Martout posted:

Since we can find malfunctioning drop pods I think yes absolutely a few of them should randomly be jackpot ones

I did a trivial difficulty map a few days ago just to screw around with a gun I'd unlocked, and I found two of those malfunctioning drop pods. I shot both of them, and they both had a jump pack inside. So it's possible, but very rare.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Sindai posted:

The new defense mission is fun but does show that any kind of chokepoint defense is trivialized by 1 or 2 EMS mortars. It only gets spicy when the bots decide to land on the cliffs above.

Yeah, the choke does a lot of work, even if ridge splits your attention sometimes. If the game could send a few of the drop ships in behind it could make a fun scramble.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Triarii posted:

Definitely an Automaton agent provocateur trying to sow dissent.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jack B Nimble posted:

Yeah, the choke does a lot of work, even if ridge splits your attention sometimes. If the game could send a few of the drop ships in behind it could make a fun scramble.

it does, although i think it's because EMS mortars will occasionally hit dropships and cause them to unload their contents in the wrong spot

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Jack B Nimble posted:

The game has dropped on the helipad behind the doors 4 times for me so far.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Triarii posted:

Knowing literally nothing of apex, is it a pvp or a battle royale shooter?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

FunkyFjord posted:

Speaking of Penta, someone mentioned that that was the Blood Dragon to Malevelon Creek's Far Cry and, uh, that planet is just rust colored plants all around? The blandest creek yet.

Maybe it was a time of day thing but for me the gas giant was lighting everything up a deep gorgeous orange-red with incredible vibes

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Jack B Nimble posted:

:argh: I was angry and shitposting, but now I just feel foolish.

Played with goons and tried out that new priority defense mission. It's a welcome change of pace and much better than the "get 500" kills; I hope we see more missions that focus us on a single area.

I'm sorry I shot you that one time.

And that other time.

I will not apologize for the orbital laser though.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

It's so funny that there's a teir even below us. Imagining the grinding total war state of humanity where futuristic spacefaring line troops are issued loving break action shotguns god drat.

I always figured those belonged to the bug farmers/colonists instead of SEAF weapons.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

RC Cola posted:

Knowing literally nothing of apex, is it a pvp or a battle royale shooter?

I believe it is both of those things.

But I think the main thing he likes is the constant wall running and wall jumping and whatnot. He says this game feels like you're driving a tank.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

Triarii posted:

I believe it is both of those things.

But I think the main thing he likes is the constant wall running and wall jumping and whatnot. He says this game feels like you're driving a tank.

Oh. So he wants to play mirror's edge or Titanfall. Yeah this is not that

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm sorry I shot you that one time.

And that other time.

I will not apologize for the orbital laser though.

Haha the orbital laser got someone else, I saw it drag across the battlefield like a giant eraser and just remove them.

For my part I threw down a very carefully considered air strike and saw the outermost bomb just perfectly catch a team mate and send them, and their samples, down the cliff and below the extract. I shamefacedly fetched the samples myself.

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

i was disappointed when i found out the spear wasn't an actual, you know, spear :hist101:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

I said it a few days ago, but on Menket or similar the extract missions can have fire tornadoes turn the entire area into a sea of flames which gives you exactly gently caress-all options to win.

I did an extract mission earlier and had civilians get set on fire from walking through the fire left over from an orbital laser and they survived that just fine. So they've got the health to survive getting proc'd on fire, but I have no problem believing the absolute sea of fire left behind by fire tornadoes would be more than enough to cook all of them alive all the time.

Mazerunner posted:

Maybe it was a time of day thing but for me the gas giant was lighting everything up a deep gorgeous orange-red with incredible vibes

Yeah maybe, I think it was at night time but it was still real easy to see and the gas giant was very pretty, the rest of the world was not.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Apr 11, 2024

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

The thing about the Quasar is

quasar still owns

ur mom has 400 dps (dicks per second)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

aww, your mom lets you have *400* dicks??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i am enjoying the name of the planet Vernen Wells.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

vernon wells

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fire resist + grenade armor please, Arrowhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jerkface posted:

vernon wells

Yeah my buddy charted a course for "VERNON WELLS" and I was like wait... huh?