Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the line read right after it cuts to black is insanely raw. what an ep

Teek posted:

Yeah, maybe just that he was a "rub people the wrong way" kind of person. Which can mean a lot of things in terms of needing him removed for the good of the team.

yeah i was thinking similarly from the responses, obviously there was a negotiated exit but there always can just be interpersonal issues that don't involve any wrongdoing.

eke out fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Apr 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Rubber Chicken posted:

That and the hints of an AoS return this week. Wow.

The loving WHAT?!?!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Rogue straight saying to Gambit your power is to light up anything you touch and my power means I can never feel it is such perfect and obvious squaring of their relationship that I feel stupid for not realizing it 20+ years ago. Embarrassing, like how I didn’t realize that Namor is just Roman backwards until my late 20s.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Rogue straight saying to Gambit your power is to light up anything you touch and my power means I can never feel it is such perfect and obvious squaring of their relationship that I feel stupid for not realizing it 20+ years ago. Embarrassing, like how I didn’t realize that Namor is just Roman backwards until my late 20s.

It's also a line that is heartbreakingly romantic and also incredibly horny. So perfect X-Men.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Marsupial Ape posted:

Well I didn’t know that about Namor until just now.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well I didn’t know that about Namor until just now.

Are you sitting down? You might want to because I'm about to tell you that Alucard is Dracula spelled backwards.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

swickles posted:

The loving WHAT?!?!

Winderbam or whatever his name is, head of Marvel TV said with the success of X97 and how good Daredevil is looking, he wants to bring back SHIELD next and the Coulson actor was making some noise online too.

Fingers crossed because that would be great

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Rubber Chicken posted:

Winderbam or whatever his name is, head of Marvel TV said with the success of X97 and how good Daredevil is looking, he wants to bring back SHIELD next and the Coulson actor was making some noise online too.

Fingers crossed because that would be great

An in canon AoS would be awesome. As long as they get Ming Na Wen back.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
Jeff Ward also said he'd come back but ONLY if Deke Shaw is still director of SHIELD

Which, eh

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
I always thought the Daughters of the Dragon spinoff they were teasing in the Marvel Netflix shows would have been cool.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Spacebump posted:

I think it is clear they are starting New X-Men stories and it won't be contained to this episode. The Madelyne/Jean/Scott astral plane scene was similar to an Emma/Scott/Jean scene in New X-Men. Episodes 8-10 are titled Tolerance Is Extinction. New X-Men's first arc was E Is for Extinction and had a version of what we just saw happen on Genosha.

Considering the Bastion tease in last week’s ep, it seems they will go for Operation Zero Tolerance..

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

With how much that episode took from the Morrison/Quitely run, I'd be very surprised if the last three episodes aren't something of an adaptation of E is for Extinction.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
So Rogue went from 2 boyfriends to 0 boyfriends in the space of an evening.

Bloody great episode. Is there a full list of the characters who were taken out this episode?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

First thoughts on '97 is that I did not expect Ray Chase to basically do a spot-on TAS Cyclops impersonation. I figured all the new VAs would just do their own thing, not try to replicate the originals. This guy sounds nothing like Noctis in FFXV, I wouldn't even suspect it was the same guy if I didn't know. Bravo to Mr. Chase.

I've seen a fair number of complaints about Rogue's returning VA, the "she just doesn't got it anymore" kinda thing, but Rogue was never particularly well voiced anyway. I actually prefer her more...subdued. performance here. No, I think Wolverine is the one who has suffered most from the ravages of age. TAS Wolverine had an amazing voice but now he just sounds...well, old.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Disagree, I think Wolverine's character is such that it doesn't matter if Cal Dodd sounds a bit older (and honestly, he largely sounds the same to me, I was shocked when he first speaks and I was suddenly 9 years old again) but Lenore Zann's voice clearly struggles with the vocal fry she uses for Rogue now. It's not impacting her performance, and I think that's important to note, her acting is still fine, it's just hard to not be conscious that this is the voice of a woman in her 60s coming out of this 20-something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m pretty sure Magneto and the other Morlocks are still alive, because we get a very quick voice from what I am pretty sure is Nightcrawler right before the beam goes through Magneto’s barrier.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Disagree, I think Wolverine's character is such that it doesn't matter if Cal Dodd sounds a bit older (and honestly, he largely sounds the same to me, I was shocked when he first speaks and I was suddenly 9 years old again) but Lenore Zann's voice clearly struggles with the vocal fry she uses for Rogue now. It's not impacting her performance, and I think that's important to note, her acting is still fine, it's just hard to not be conscious that this is the voice of a woman in her 60s coming out of this 20-something.

That's why Jean's old VA is Valerie Cooper now, or so I've heard. She certainly does not sound like Jean or Jill Valentine anymore.

So kinda strange they kept Rogue's original VA.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m pretty sure Magneto and the other Morlocks are still alive, because we get a very quick voice from what I am pretty sure is Nightcrawler right before the beam goes through Magneto’s barrier.

That's Magneto, telling Leech not to be afraid, tying into Leech's earlier line about Magneto saying he wouldn't be scared again.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
So like.....5 episodes in.....why the gently caress did they fire the dude running this show again? I thought there was no way they could meet expectations. I was right, the Xmen 97 team blew way past them into the next galaxy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Shaw and Emma are alive too, as I think Shaw and Madelyne were just knocked out, not killed, and I don't think we see Emma again after the attack.

MikeC posted:

So like.....5 episodes in.....why the gently caress did they fire the dude running this show again? I thought there was no way they could meet expectations. I was right, the Xmen 97 team blew way past them into the next galaxy.

Apparently for conduct issues.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Show SO good

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
loving hell this is the best thing marvels made since endgame

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I really do like the new/altered openings each episode. I say altered openings but really, it's just continual subtraction with the exception of Magneto replacing Xavier in EP2. But with a loss each ep, and all the deaths in EP5, who will be left in the opening lineup by Episode 10?

I recall reading at least a smattering of dissatisfaction with Episode 3. People felt it rushed way too much and for something that requires a lot of emotional investment, rushing something is the worst thing you can do. Having just finished it, I also felt the opening was way too fast-paced.

Over in Comic Book Animation thread, somebody talked about how pre-Unlimited Justice League was almost nothing but two-parters. I loved that. I really do hope '97 is coming out guns blazing to ensure its success and then the next season will be approved for more episodes and so can take its time.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Magneto was right but he was also a Groomer!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Scarabrae posted:

Ah, dammit, you broke the seal.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Scarabrae posted:

Oh god that's why he was friends with Xavier.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Nightcrawler can replace Gambit I guess.

Put Emma and Shaw in charge next I guess.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
There are so many paths and story possibilities that just opened up on X97, my god.

I have some outlandish thought in my head that season 2 could be a twist on Schism with Rogue and Storm as the leaders instead of Cyke and Wolvie.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Here's my thoughts:

Magneto is alive. He survived and had Leech turn off his powers, which is why the Tri Sentinel no longer sensed an Omega. He's probably gonna be gone for a while though.

Maddie is dead. She got vaporized. Cable couldn't save her. Him showing up means maybe there will be time travel shenanigans and all of this is undone, but I don't think so.

Gambit is probably gonna be dead for a while.

The X-Men will probably pick up a new member or two, with Nightcrawler and Emma being my guesses.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Here's my thoughts:

Magneto is alive. He survived and had Leech turn off his powers, which is why the Tri Sentinel no longer sensed an Omega. He's probably gonna be gone for a while though.

Maddie is dead. She got vaporized. Cable couldn't save her. Him showing up means maybe there will be time travel shenanigans and all of this is undone, but I don't think so.

Gambit is probably gonna be dead for a while.

The X-Men will probably pick up a new member or two, with Nightcrawler and Emma being my guesses.

Colossus was also a character that shows up a few times in the original series but never joined the team officially

I also think your first theory is probably true

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

FlamingLiberal posted:

Colossus was also a character that shows up a few times in the original series but never joined the team officially

I also think your first theory is probably true

When did they start production on this?

Having an amusingly Russian guy hits a bit differently now than in actual 1997

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Magneto and Co. are absolutely dead. You don’t do that episode of story and then immediately undercut it by softening it with “actually it wasn’t so bad.”

That’s just your wishful thinking.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
I watched the original series as a kid. I gleaned a lot of X-Men historical info from that and I lived in a rural area with no internet and still came out very knowledgeable about X-Men.

This episode provided so much backstory. I could be wrong but I don't think they mentioned Logan being over 100 years old in the OG series but they did today.

They combined the storylines of Genosha, Genosha genocide, krakoa, quiet council, Scott's telepathic trysts, Exodus, Glob/pixie/armor/nature girl, the gala, Emma Frost/shaw/Hellfire club, Rogue/Magneto/Joseph/Gambit, light-hearted Kurt and I'm sure a lot more that I missed. If they tried that when I was a kid I would have been overwhelmed.

I am an optimistic person when it comes to modern adaptations to things I loved growing up to a fault (looking at you Amazon's Wheel of Time) but X-Men 97 exceeds that expectation. Just like the original series it isn't afraid to deal with complex issues or try to talk down to the audience.

With the original, as a grade schooler I understood that these characters had more to them then the 22 minutes the show had allotted to them. But that's what drew me back each week.

97 keeps that tradition alive and doesn't talk down to the audience. These characters have more going on than within the confines of the episode and that's fine. It makes it feel more real.

...or I could be hopelessly optimistic and I'm completely wrong. Either way I'm enjoying this so much

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Magneto and Co. are absolutely dead. You don’t do that episode of story and then immediately undercut it by softening it with “actually it wasn’t so bad.”

This wouldn't even be the first time this show (counting the original series) made it seem like Magneto was dead. I'm not buying it until we see a body.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What a loving episode. Never expected this show to be this good after all the animated crap Marvel has put out over the years.

Marsupial Ape posted:

This episode was filled with great lines "Yet so many allow their leaders to be terrorists." and "Oh, right. You were there.' and of course the last line.

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024

Soul Glo posted:

Putting him with the one mutant that could mask his power signature is a hell of a red herring if so

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Rubber Chicken posted:

Putting him with the one mutant that could mask his power signature is a hell of a red herring if so

it was so they could break your heart with the “don’t be afraid” as he died protecting the morlocks

like, c’mon. that’s good writing. this kind of fan wishing happens anytime a bad thing happens to characters they like. if they immediately roll it back next episode with a “lol actually we’re fine!” how would that NOT cheapen this episode?

i’m not saying the season doesn’t end with cable doing timestream shenanigans to unfuck things, but there’s no way they do episode 5 and episode 6 starts with magneto dusting himself off

also i would bet good money rogue is in magneto’s place in the opening credits next week

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 11, 2024

Rubber Chicken
Mar 13, 2024
I don't disagree really

I like a good red herring, personally

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

FlamingLiberal posted:

This wouldn't even be the first time this show (counting the original series) made it seem like Magneto was dead. I'm not buying it until we see a body.

They established early on that that laser beam doesn't leave bodies, just vaporizes you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

Like, this show couldn't be more clear that it is taking and adapting X-Men stories from the comics to the cartoon and parts of this episode were basically lifted directly from an issue of the Morrison and Quitely run. They even have a perfect reproduction of one of the panels from that comic. If you know what happens from that series then you know that there's a good chance they're going to keep following story beats from it.

That's why I think Magneto survived. But he won't be back until next season. The rest of this season is probably going to deal with whoever was behind the attack, and there's a real good possibility that it's Cassandra Nova. Tolerance is Extinction is way too close to E is for Extinction for it to be a coincidence.