Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Recommend to me some miniature assembly stands please? Holding things in place while super glue dries gets old really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
i bought the arms and base for the big gw holder and have no complaints

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

armorer posted:

Recommend to me some miniature assembly stands please? Holding things in place while super glue dries gets old really fast.

Superglue accelerator. No idea what you mean by an assembly stand though, sorry.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
a thing to hold the man

edit: i am also a thing made to hold the man

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

My Spirit Otter posted:

i bought the arms and base for the big gw holder and have no complaints

I saw this, but I don't use the gw holder (I 3d printed a few different ones that work great for me.)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don’t like gimmicky GW stuff but their handles rock

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've been getting a lot of mileage out of my DIY painting handles that are just old pill bottles filled with rocks and some double sided tape. Also here's a bird

It's pretty much all contrast paints aside from the black/white parts and the bone on the base. Did a little bit of wet blending on the dorsal parts of the wings and I'm happy with how much it looks like the catalina macaw that I used as a reference photo.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
those feathers look great dang

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I'm asking about articulated arm platforms, which hold the parts you've cut off the sprue in place while gluing (or applying green stuff, miliput, etc). I have painting handles covered pretty well.

Thanks for the note on superglue accelerator though, I should get some of that as well. All I'm seeing are spray bottles of it, does anyone sell a dropper bottle?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

armorer posted:

I'm asking about articulated arm platforms, which hold the parts you've cut off the sprue in place while gluing (or applying green stuff, miliput, etc). I have painting handles covered pretty well.

Thanks for the note on superglue accelerator though, I should get some of that as well. All I'm seeing are spray bottles of it, does anyone sell a dropper bottle?

If you take off the spray bottle cap you can use the hose on the inside to drip the accelerant like a makeshift dropper bottle. Or use a cheap plastic pipette.

As for the articulated arm platforms, any "helping hands" type device will work for it

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you take off the spray bottle cap you can use the hose on the inside to drip the accelerant like a makeshift dropper bottle. Or use a cheap plastic pipette.

As for the articulated arm platforms, any "helping hands" type device will work for it

Good call on pipettes, I actually have some of those already! I have a helping hands platform for soldering work as well, but I think the alligator clamps are too strong and would probably mark the plastic.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Instead of making GBS threads up the 40k thread with my scrub painting questions I figure I'll ask in here. What's the best way to apply stuff from a transfer sheet? Are 'ardcoat and Lahmian Medium really necessary? I have some Speedpaint Medium but I'm assuming that is a different type of medium, and I don't have any gloss, so I guess I should wait to try to use them until after acquiring those things?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

armorer posted:

Good call on pipettes, I actually have some of those already! I have a helping hands platform for soldering work as well, but I think the alligator clamps are too strong and would probably mark the plastic.

you can get alligator clips with varying strength springs. if you have lovely head shops around you, a couple pairs of roach clips attached to some solid core 12-14 guage wire will be rigid enough to hold anything in place.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Let’s say I wanted to do a diorama based on the Warhammer DLC for Powerwash Simulator using a pair of Skitarii rangers and a Dreadnought.

1. What’s the best way to do the “water spray” effect?

2. What’s the best way to do an “industrial” base for everything to stand on?

3. What’s the best way to do “extensions” on their water sprayers?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ominous Jazz posted:

it's stinky but not two container stinky

edit: what's a good CA glue because mine sucks

If you're having trouble with CA glue remember that it goes "off" after a while even if its still liquid.

I use cheapo hardware store superglue and after I year or so I relegate bottles for use mixing talc filler instead of gluing parts..

Frog Act posted:

Instead of making GBS threads up the 40k thread with my scrub painting questions I figure I'll ask in here. What's the best way to apply stuff from a transfer sheet? Are 'ardcoat and Lahmian Medium really necessary? I have some Speedpaint Medium but I'm assuming that is a different type of medium, and I don't have any gloss, so I guess I should wait to try to use them until after acquiring those things?

There was an exceedingly long discussion in either this or the 40k thread a week or so back about decals.

In short

1. Gloss coat area you want decal on - doesn't matter if you spray or brush. You can use Stormshield or any other gloss. I personally use acrylic floor wax.

2. Wet and apply decal directly to surface. Wick off excess water with tissue or a q-tip and flatten down decal as much as possible but don't worry if it doesn't quite conform if the surface is complex.

3. Apply MicroSOL to the decal - just brush it on and leave it to dry. Repeat until decal flattens down - the Microsol will dissolve the carrier film until the decal lies flat.

4. Apply gloss over decal. You can brush this on if you're quick and careful, or spray it on. Then matte coat over to finish.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 10, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Frog Act posted:

You want micro sol and micro set. Really just micro sol, but the set helps a lot in the first step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQiDs9nI7P4

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

ive never tried micro sol/set, ive only ever just used water and have had no problems.

ive only ever thrown on a lot of water onto the area, dropped the decal in, positioned it with some tweezers, then wicked away the water with a brush. then ran matte finish over it.

if im putting a bigger decal on a terminator shoulder, i split the top 1/3rd of the decal and it will sit nicely.

id give it a try with just water first, but im cheap and dont want to spend 30 dollars on something with a very specific use that ive discovered i dont need, unless that thing is actual warhammer

im not saying you shouldnt buy micro sol/set, just that you dont have to.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Thanks everyone! Yeah, i remember when I first played back in the distant past the general consensus seemed to be that you could just stick them on with water. I don’t really have anything with any appropriately smooth, noticeable surfaces going at the moment anyway so I’ll probably get the appropriate tools at some point but it’s nice to know it is theoretically possible with just some water which I feel like I recall being explicitly in the directions in late 90s box

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Microsol is 5 bucks and turns decals into floppy things that will bend around a space marine shoulder perfectly

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Eej posted:

Microsol is 5 bucks and turns decals into floppy things that will bend around a space marine shoulder perfectly

this is the truth and the way

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I use Tamiya Mark-Fit, it works great.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Let’s say I wanted to do a diorama based on the Warhammer DLC for Powerwash Simulator using a pair of Skitarii rangers and a Dreadnought.

This Luke Towan video has him making a waterfall out of some glue and thing plasticard, like from a cup, that looks pretty good, and I bet you could get it to suit your needs, especially since many pressure washers have the fan spray option. The relevant part starts at around 28 minutes. For extensions for the water sprayer, I think if you could find a bit/weapons sprue from the space marine jump guys with the cartoonishly long guns that might work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1QtnvgxFKA

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
A decal setting solution of some type is not utterly necessary, but it's kind of like a decent sable brush versus whatever synthetic you can grab at the local big box store. It's a huge quality of life increase.

Though if you get Microsol/set over one of the JP solutions that come in a fat, heavy glass bottle, maybe tape them down or find a holder for them or something. I've never used an entire Micro-etc bottle because I've always knocked most of it over, repeatedly.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

My Spirit Otter posted:

you can get alligator clips with varying strength springs. if you have lovely head shops around you, a couple pairs of roach clips attached to some solid core 12-14 guage wire will be rigid enough to hold anything in place.

Never even occurred to me to DIY one with some cheap alligator clips and wire. I could totally do that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

IncredibleIgloo posted:

This Luke Towan video has him making a waterfall out of some glue and thing plasticard, like from a cup, that looks pretty good, and I bet you could get it to suit your needs, especially since many pressure washers have the fan spray option. The relevant part starts at around 28 minutes. For extensions for the water sprayer, I think if you could find a bit/weapons sprue from the space marine jump guys with the cartoonishly long guns that might work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1QtnvgxFKA

Awesome, I’ll check out the video, thanks. A fan spray effect is exactly the look I’m going for.

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

Something I really struggle with is maintaining focus on a project beyond a week or so. I've been picking at this piece for 3.5 weeks and reached a block where I just want to call it done. I think I'm happy with it overall.

I did have a lot of fun building the base, but word of warning with those paper plants - they're exceptionally fragile and large ones really could do with using florists wire or something similar to support the stems if you try them!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

if thats not done, i havent finished a single mini. great work

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

grassy gnoll posted:

A decal setting solution of some type is not utterly necessary, but it's kind of like a decent sable brush versus whatever synthetic you can grab at the local big box store. It's a huge quality of life increase.

Though if you get Microsol/set over one of the JP solutions that come in a fat, heavy glass bottle, maybe tape them down or find a holder for them or something. I've never used an entire Micro-etc bottle because I've always knocked most of it over, repeatedly.

It's not but again... it's five bucks. Why make things more complicated when it's so cheap to get the easy solution?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Xenomrph posted:

Something like this?

https://bsky.app/profile/vincentknotley.bsky.social/post/3kogq27jchm2m

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

As for the power clean, you might want to think about what you have the object being cleaned standing on. If you don't want to worry about making a small pool of standing water then have the object being cleaned stand on a grate or something similar, and if you want to do a little pool of grime and muck have the object standing on diamond deck or some other garage material.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

God damnit! And here I thought I was being original!

(But yes exactly that)

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Becklespinax posted:

Something I really struggle with is maintaining focus on a project beyond a week or so. I've been picking at this piece for 3.5 weeks and reached a block where I just want to call it done. I think I'm happy with it overall.

I did have a lot of fun building the base, but word of warning with those paper plants - they're exceptionally fragile and large ones really could do with using florists wire or something similar to support the stems if you try them!

Yeah, I'd be overjoyed to call that mini 'done' Really nice work.

Here's my maximum effort, minimum quality (I couldn't find a penny):

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

grassy gnoll posted:

The setting solution is entirely optional if you have good decals and know how to gloss them properly. The softening solution is situational. If you're just placing decals on completely flat surfaces (eg robots/Gundams) then it's not necessary though it can still help "thin" the decals down if they're particularly thick. If you're dealing space marine shoulders though I would say it's pretty essential unless you want to get into cutting your decals to make them sit flat or spend ages slowly finangling them into submission.

It costs less than a bottle of GW paint and that one bottle will last you forever if you don't tip it over. The opportunity cost savings alone is huge.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

If you're not painting for a competition where everything has to be perfect I assume it's ok to call things done and move on. You can even tell yourself that someday you'll go back and fix up the parts that still need work, and then never do it because you've moved on to another project or ten since.

Someday I'll go back and paint the shoulder pats in an off color and add decals on my infantry squads. But that day may never come too.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Apr 11, 2024

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Frog Act posted:

I was also very intimidated starting to do decals because all the tutorials list like six things you need that I don't have, but here's what I've been doing that works pretty well --

1. Set up with MicroSet (I got it in a two-pack with MicroSol)
2. Wet and apply decal.
3. Once dry, brush a couple times with MicroSol to fit around the curved surface
4. Apply 2 coats of matt varnish to make it look painted on

And this worked pretty well. Maybe someday I'll mess with gloss varnish and other stuff, but for this I only needed 3 bottles which will last forever, versus getting a ton of stuff to start

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is there any difference between MicroSet and MicroSol vs Vallejo Decal Fix and Medium?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I tried decals yesterday and spilled the microsol bottle all over the place and it doesn't smell great

Edit-typo

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 11, 2024

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I tried decals yesterday and spoiled the microsol bottle all over the place and it doesn't smell great

But how does it taste?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Xenomrph posted:

But how does it taste?

Like the stuff used for dyeing eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted: