Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah the deck has that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I'm still salty about glissa being compleated, mostly because it's after being the protagonist of three books I've actually read.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Party Miser posted:

I'm still salty about glissa being compleated, mostly because it's after being the protagonist of three books I've actually read.

Three books in which the multiverse actively went out of its way to poo poo all over her, too.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Khanstant posted:

His form of mind control is more terrifying than phyresis, at least you can tell when someone goes all Phyrexian because they start oozing gross stuff and getting all biometallic and haranguing folks about joining their new church.
.Jace just casually mind controls people to see and believe what he wants and he could make them just not know about it or appear not to.

Jace is gonna end up at a brain plane and settle into megabrain mountain, and become the big bad villain trying to carry out his misguided goals on way too big of a scale too fast by jaceifying whole planes.

If Jace doesn't end up the villain of the next story I will eat his hat.

Gary from the Vallout Vault, but everyone is Jace. There is even a set coming to support it

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I didn't realize how much gold they truly struck with Mothman until last night, when I was in a pod where three people had different Mothman decks. One person with the precon, one person going full mill, and me with a strategy of maxing out rad counters and capitalizing on the big graveyards.

We should've all played them in the same game just to see what sort of hell that produced. Probably a Cruel Somnophage swinging for triple digits.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1777700523145056501?t=PS6zdAiPGgfPqOeeRmQWxQ&s=19

What

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

that guy is insufferable to listen to so of course he would do poo poo like that. i do not wish him well in this endeavor.

Anyways, i was wondering if the card "Annie joins up" means you get two sets of converted tokens or you just changed them twice (i think it's just converted twice). With something like Mondrak Glory Dominus do you get triple the tokens, or is it doubled and then doubled again? With Krenko (tin Street) I think you do the counter and token thing and then do it again?

I'm sorely tempted to add that to my jinnie fay cat firehose deck of it's broken instead of just really good. It's otherwise not as amazing for the seven creatures that do synergize off of it, but still kinda tempting.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Party Miser posted:

that guy is insufferable to listen to so of course he would do poo poo like that. i do not wish him well in this endeavor.

Anyways, i was wondering if the card "Annie joins up" means you get two sets of converted tokens or you just changed them twice (i think it's just converted twice). With something like Mondrak Glory Dominus do you get triple the tokens, or is it doubled and then doubled again? With Krenko (tin Street) I think you do the counter and token thing and then do it again?

I'm sorely tempted to add that to my jinnie fay cat firehose deck of it's broken instead of just really good. It's otherwise not as amazing for the seven creatures that do synergize off of it, but still kinda tempting.

Idk what converted tokens are, but you just do the whole triggered ability twice. Triggered abilities are anything that says "when" "whenever" or "at" (as in, at the beginning of your upkeep).

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
jinnie fay "if you would create one or more tokens, you may instead create that many (cat or dog tokens with specific stats/abilities)"

i think the "instead" kills it from being as strong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Party Miser posted:

jinnie fay "if you would create one or more tokens, you may instead create that many (cat or dog tokens with specific stats/abilities)"

i think the "instead" kills it from being as strong.

Most token doubling cards are replacements effects, not triggered effects. Probably all of them, but Magic has so many I'm not confident in saying that for sure.

Anything that uses 'instead' is a replacement effect, along with 'skip' and 'as'.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Party Miser posted:

Annie Joins Up only doubles your triggered abilities. Mondrak and Jinnie Fay are replacement effects and so are unaffected by Annie Joins Up.

In the case of Krenko, yes, you'll put a counter on him and make tokens equal to his power, then put another counter on him and create tokens equal to his power again.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
Ah, i figured Mondrak was a trigger because i misremembered the phrasing. whoopsy.
Thank you!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Too much of a coward to play Land Equilibrium, Restore Balance, or even just Confounding Conundrum

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Confounding Conundrum is the funniest card in magic

It may actually be funnier in Brawl on arena than in person, because your opponent plays an explosive vegetation effect and has to bounce two lands, then the game kinda stops and they hover over the card, click away, hover over it again, and then their head explodes

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Regardless of the rest of the tweet, I do agree with the sentiment of "I wish there were more options between 'do nothing and get run over by green land ramp' and 'blow up all lands'". There should be more cards like Urza's Sylex, where it's not strictly a Balance effect but something that more-or-less fairly is a soft reset on mana availability.

That said, this is a great opportunity to remind people that Cleansing exists!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I completely agree with Saffron Olive's sentiment. When you put together a graveyard or aristocrats deck one of your thoughts should be "how do I deal with rest in peace?" When people build landfall decks they don't give a gently caress about confounding conundrum, zo-zu, polluted bonds, or beast within / generous gift. Confounding Conundrum sounds like a good counter for it but realistically it's letting the landfall deck put more lands in their hand, or letting the glacial chasm reset the counters. In my own landfall deck the things I go find with crop rotation or Kura are usually field of the dead and one of the bounce dual lands just so I can keep bouncing that one land and constantly getting landfall triggers.

Having the 'nonland' stipulation on a lot of recent spot removal cards is not really helping either. However, there are a surprising amount of lands that do land destruction but few people actually run them.

With that said, cleansing rules. It's basically Price of Progress but also fucks up mono-green players

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, this is something I remember Maldhound pointing out. We get mad at every other color getting to do their thing; we'll turn the cannons on a red deck daring to look like they're playing too fast, a blue deck forcing you to play mother-may-I, a black deck making our favorite stuff die. But we just don't do the same thing to a green deck going off, even when it's really obvious they are.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, this is something I remember Maldhound pointing out. We get mad at every other color getting to do their thing; we'll turn the cannons on a red deck daring to look like they're playing too fast, a blue deck forcing you to play mother-may-I, a black deck making our favorite stuff die. But we just don't do the same thing to a green deck going off, even when it's really obvious they are.

The commonality is that the other four colors are doing things to you or your stuff and green, for the most part, isn't. The majority of casual commander players seem to be in it to see their deck do its thing, so when four colors screw that up and one doesn't, the four get most of the attention.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I've learned that people are greedy little piggies and will always let the person casting tempt with discovery go find 4 lands.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I let green do its thing because the green player isn't going to win anyway.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

I've learned that people are greedy little piggies and will always let the person casting tempt with discovery go find 4 lands.

I always stare down the rest of the table and tell them to turn it into a 4 mana Rampant Growth. It's worked the few times I've seen it played in person, but it never works online. I'd play the gently caress out of Ruination in a mono-red or Rx deck, though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Lmao land ramp is generally the worst kind of ramp, miles behind mana rocks and dorks.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Lmao land ramp is generally the worst kind of ramp, miles behind mana rocks and dorks.

I feel like people are playing way fewer board wipes these days so I'm way less apprehensive about playing mana dorks than I was in the past.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
But at least there's reasonable options to tech against rocks, treasures, and dorks if you really want to - and even more than that, WOTC is actively printing strong new hosers against them (Dauntless Dismantler is the first example that comes to mind). There simply aren't many available choices at the casual or high-casual level to hard-counter mass land ramp. Completely wiping all the lands off the board isn't the answer but there's still a lot of design space between "Armageddon" and "nothing" that just isn't utilized very often.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
*thing that beat me last* is the worst thing in Commander and we should do something about it!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Landwipes are valid cards and it is a fault of the casual perception of EDH that building decks without a focus on a balanced manabase that they get shunned. There are plenty of good cheap mana rocks and dorks these days, and every color has at least some way to pump out treasures. Having lands be some kind of sacred no-touchy space has always been very weird to me especially when this concept lets one color absolutely run away with games because they know they'll never be interacted with on that axis.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Balon posted:

*thing that beat me last* is the worst thing in Commander and we should do something about it!

Wish we could fit this into the thread title.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Make a Farewell that can hit lands too.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

Make a Farewell that can hit lands too.

Decree of Annihilation and Worldfire

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but I want the choice.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Catastrophe

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

orangelex44 posted:

But at least there's reasonable options to tech against rocks, treasures, and dorks if you really want to - and even more than that, WOTC is actively printing strong new hosers against them (Dauntless Dismantler is the first example that comes to mind). There simply aren't many available choices at the casual or high-casual level to hard-counter mass land ramp. Completely wiping all the lands off the board isn't the answer but there's still a lot of design space between "Armageddon" and "nothing" that just isn't utilized very often.

The reasonable option against land ramp is to ignore it because it's inefficient enough you just win around it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Like, these are people getting mad about Cultivate and Kodama's Reach, which are manaliths.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Seth plays in a bizarre meta, his opinions on commander are all because he has no idea what most metas look like

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Toshimo posted:

Like, these are people getting mad about Cultivate and Kodama's Reach, which are manaliths.

Ah, they're manaliths and lay of the lands, in one! That's value, there.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Seth plays in a bizarre meta, his opinions on commander are all because he has no idea what most metas look like

I get the feeling this applies to a lot of people talking about commander online.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Toshimo posted:

More people should play Aven Mindcensor, Opposition Agent, and Ashiok, Dream Render.

Comedy Options: Mindlock Orb and Stranglehold

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Six of the top nine green cards per EDHRec are land ramp cards, and four of them are two mana (plus Sakura Tribe Elder's at #12). If we look at the top cards regardless of color they make up four of the top twelve with only Sol Ring and Arcane Signet as the other mana sources (to be fair though the signets and talismans start coming in from 12-20). The only other mechanic that's anywhere near as dominant within it's color is blue and counterspells, which is five of the top twelve in-color but only two of the top fifty overall (counterspell at #5, then dropping all the way to Negate at #40).

Land ramp in some form is very, very prevalent across the format.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

orangelex44 posted:

Six of the top nine green cards per EDHRec are land ramp cards, and four of them are two mana (plus Sakura Tribe Elder's at #12). If we look at the top cards regardless of color they make up four of the top twelve with only Sol Ring and Arcane Signet as the other mana sources (to be fair though the signets and talismans start coming in from 12-20). The only other mechanic that's anywhere near as dominant within it's color is blue and counterspells, which is five of the top twelve in-color but only two of the top fifty overall (counterspell at #5, then dropping all the way to Negate at #40).

Land ramp in some form is very, very prevalent across the format.

Yes, but EDHREC, while a useful tool, is bith meaningless as a gormat barometer, and a self-reinforcing problem.

We've had this discussion a thousand times, but EDHREC is fed with extremely bad data and the inly thing it is in any way accurate about is that a large number of players plsy stock oe nearly-stock precons (which are often packed with terrible, inefficient green land ramp).

Remember: We are talking about a site where Swiftfoot Boots outranks Lightning Greaves (vecause it's in more precons), where Eternal Witness is the #3 creature of all time (while almost never being worth a deck slot) and Ruinous Ultimatum is a Top 50 card (lol, lmao). Using it as a yardstick for anything is folly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, a reminder: When people say "Land Ramp", they are almost exclusively talking about "Basic Land Ramp", which gets sparser in durect ratio to the presence of basic lands as decks get more powerful. That throughline alone should be all the indication that you need that "land ramp" isn't actually very good at all.