Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i liked the matrix reloaded when they shoot all the guns and the cameras like whoa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dillbag posted:

The Prestige is a completely different film the second time around.

Its just an exact copy of the first time, big deal

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Gonna add Children of Men to the list of massively depressing amazing movies to only watch once. Only three years away till we actually reach the year it took place! :shepface:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Any discussion of “movies you only watch once” needs to include Come and See.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

fartknocker posted:

:same:

Also, Dear Zachary

Edit: I had a similar experience as someone described above for Grave of the Fireflies. My buddy and I rented every anime in our local Hollywood Video over many months (yes, accidentally finding a misfiled hentai along the way). But another time we got Grave of the Fireflies and hoooo boy it sure was not the teen drama or whatever magical bullshit we thought it was going to be.

Railing Kill has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Apr 10, 2024

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

fartknocker posted:

Man. I seem to have seen more of these than I had expected

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The new documentary about Alex Jones and Sandy Hook has a few soul crushing and absolutely enraging parts. Sometimes at the same time!

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

No

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

Gonna add Children of Men to the list of massively depressing amazing movies to only watch once. Only three years away till we actually reach the year it took place! :shepface:

would totally watch it again

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Does Enter the Void count for this list? I honestly don't remember much of the movie other than That scene.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Railing Kill posted:

:same:

Also, Dear Zachary

Edit: I had a similar experience as someone described above for Grave of the Fireflies. My buddy and I rented every anime in our local Hollywood Video over many months (yes, accidentally finding a misfiled hentai along the way). But another time we got Grave of the Fireflies and hoooo boy it sure was not the teen drama or whatever magical bullshit we thought it was going to be.

I saw it in a dorm room full of dudes and as soon as the credits rolled one of my friends turned to me with tears in his eyes and bellowed "Why did you do that to me?"

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I watched children of men right after my first was born and it was roooough

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Maybe I'm weird but I love Children of Men and have watched it frequently and show it to people who haven't heard of it. Am due a rewatch soon

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Another depressing movie is Liquid Sky from 1982.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRjiEBNxnKw

Movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyIhqT5bkEM

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Children of Men may be bleak as hell but those long takes during the intense scenes are just perfect.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Abugadu posted:

Children of Men may be bleak as hell but those long takes during the intense scenes are just perfect.

It’s still one of the better examples of long single shots. Movie is wonderfully made.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Scratch Monkey posted:

I watched children of men right after my first was born and it was roooough

The Mist

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Uncensored balls of totality right here:

https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/solar-eclipse-testicles/

https://x.com/UNTLDent/status/1777752679734706252

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Barometer posted:

Something Awful; PYF funny picturemovies you don't want to watch again because they traumatized you

Grave of the Fireflies was something I was not expecting to experience, when I rented it all those years ago.

I bought it for my (12-YO) son for Christmas one year. He did watch it once.

Based on what he related to me, I have no desire to see it.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Cartoon Man posted:

Uncensored balls of totality right here
LOL. A buddy of mine got me with that gif just a few hours after the eclipse. Legend.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

Maybe I'm weird but I love Children of Men and have watched it frequently and show it to people who haven't heard of it. Am due a rewatch soon

Same. And it goes by so fast! I swear it feels like a 45 minute movie every time I watch it

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

thiccabod posted:

Same. And it goes by so fast! I swear it feels like a 45 minute movie every time I watch it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barometer posted:

They're probably worried people will think it's a kids movie and let their children see an incredibly powerful anti-war movie. Totally worth the tears.

SBS, a free-to-air channel in Australia that airs foreign films (mostly late-night with lots of nudity), used to sometimes do a Ghibli film a week. Mostly the Miyazaki films, but Grave of the Fireflies was in the rotation too. I presume deliberately so as a twisted gotcha.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Stoatbringer posted:

“Arrival” (with the big black squid aliens) needs to be watched twice. Things that seemed a bit odd or inconsequential the first time round take on a whole new significance on a second viewing.

movie is dope

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I miss Wayne Gretzsky’s posts

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
The first time I saw grave of the fireflies it was on TV, so I missed the first 10 minutes. I kept telling my mom she has to see it. Finally she agrees, and we start watching the movie. 5 minutes in, and I’m sobbing, and she’s wondering what is so sad about throwing away a candy tin.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

another headline from that site

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Liquid Sky and Enter the Void are two of my favorite movies. I guess I really like neon or something.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Liquid Sky and Enter the Void are two of my favorite movies. I guess I really like neon or something.

I've only ever seen Enter The Void once but I've watched the opening credits probably two dozen times

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

thiccabod posted:

I've only ever seen Enter The Void once but I've watched the opening credits probably two dozen times

The plot and story are fine, but the images are what stay with me. Totally beautiful film.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Incredible. What a loving badass

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Amphigory posted:

Please add Irreversible to the "can only watch once" list

I seen it in the cinema when it came out and it was some experience, but never again

The theaterpub I was working at played that movie once, like most of the theater walked out pretty early on.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

DreadUnknown posted:

The theaterpub I was working at played that movie once, like most of the theater walked out pretty early on.

I respect Gaspar Noe a lot for making movies that are just loving hard to watch. I'm pretty sure he explicitly stated that he is actively trying to find ways to make watching his movies as uncomfortable as possible. Like, putting sound into the opening of Irreversible that you don't consciously hear but that will drive you loving nuts.

edit: Found it!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

teen witch posted:

The new documentary about Alex Jones and Sandy Hook has a few soul crushing and absolutely enraging parts. Sometimes at the same time!

Like him going on holiday at a luxury resort on Kauai just a few days ago despite pleading too poor to start paying back his victims?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Neddy Seagoon posted:

SBS, a free-to-air channel in Australia that airs foreign films (mostly late-night with lots of nudity), used to sometimes do a Ghibli film a week. Mostly the Miyazaki films, but Grave of the Fireflies was in the rotation too. I presume deliberately so as a twisted gotcha.

Oh yeah, Des Mangan is a loving monster.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That's a god tier prank. If I tricked a TV station into thinking my balls were an eclipse I'd want it on my tombstone.

"Here lies deoju. His balls blocked out the sun."

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

deoju posted:

That's a god tier prank. If I tricked a TV station into thinking my balls were an eclipse I'd want it on my tombstone.

"Here lies deoju. His balls blocked out the sun."

it's the stuff legends are made of. like something out of ancient myth. you could found a religion on that capital. trickster God poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Testicality of the Eclipse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Testical eclipse of the heart, 1# power love ballad of the ages!