Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Adam Cole's AEW career

1) Start out hot.
2) Get overexposed because Tony is a complete homer for him, crowd turns against him.
3) Get catastrophically injured.

Crazy this happened twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Adam Cole's AEW career

1) Start out hot.
2) Get overexposed because Tony is a complete homer for him, crowd turns against him.
3) Get catastrophically injured.

Crazy this happened twice.

Did the crowd turn against Adam? I don't actually remember him getting anything other than good reactions

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I turned against him

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NienNunb posted:

I turned against him

you don't watch the show - you don't count as part of the crowd

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Shard posted:

Did the crowd turn against Adam? I don't actually remember him getting anything other than good reactions

We turned against him.
We are the crowd.
The people in the audience are noise makers.*

*Not really but this is where I take the pulse. Do we really diverge that strongly from the rest of the fandom? Maybe it's the difference between 'we want a better WWE' and 'We want to wash the WWE stink out of our bodies'. Because BTYBB was absolutely the former, even the ugh ambulance angle.

MJF is God's perfect sports entertainer and Adam Cole isn't too far behind him.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 10, 2024

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shard posted:

you don't watch the show - you don't count as part of the crowd

I watched All In, where he was one half of one of the worst matches I’ve ever seen.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

NienNunb posted:

I watched All In, where he was one half of one of the worst matches I’ve ever seen.

I envy you if that's your low water mark.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
In a vacuum, it was just a lovely match between two dorks. Given all of the context of its push and its positioning and the show it was on and the promotion it happened in, I am comfortable saying it is one of the worst matches of all time. It is 100% without a doubt the worst match I've ever seen.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I’ve been to amateur improv troupe shows that gave me the exact same feeling as that match.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

NienNunb posted:

I’ve been to amateur improv troupe shows that gave me the exact same feeling as that match.

Yes, and?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

We turned against him.
We are the crowd.
The people in the audience are noise makers.*

*Not really but this is where I take the pulse. Do we really diverge that strongly from the rest of the fandom? Maybe it's the difference between 'we want a better WWE' and 'We want to wash the WWE stink out of our bodies'. Because BTYBB was absolutely the former, even the ugh ambulance angle.

MJF is God's perfect sports entertainer and Adam Cole isn't too far behind him.

I honestly think we do diverge. We are an aging forum with a lot of older folks. And I can think of like a dozen times that the threads were not digging something, and the crowd clearly was. The Acclaimed for a long time was way over with the crowd and not here. I feel like that is just starting to shift.

The Brochachos were def over with the crowd and we hated that poo poo.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I like that song and the album it's on

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the Jericho match with Adam Cole was extremely dire. At his peak in the company, when he was just constantly on TV doing poo poo and taking up a lot of the Hangman reign, I was dreading them possibly putting the belt on him since his ringwork had deteriorated a lot and his overall persona I just never bought into, even back in NXT when he had endless cinematic fights with Johnny Gargano. pretty glad there's zero chance it'll happen now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MJeff posted:

In a vacuum, it was just a lovely match between two dorks.

AEW.txt

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

MJeff posted:

In a vacuum, it was just a lovely match between two dorks. Given all of the context of its push and its positioning and the show it was on and the promotion it happened in, I am comfortable saying it is one of the worst matches of all time. It is 100% without a doubt the worst match I've ever seen.

Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior at Halloween Havoc is still my worse one seen.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i bought a superkliq t-shirt because the taunt where the bucks kissed him on the cheek while he did the babay made me mark out. Now I am partially blame for the death of aew.

also i know we're not arguing about the video any more but it's an incredibly embarassing move from TK. Unless the footage is CM punk making GBS threads his own pants it's just going to make CM punk seem even cooler to 99% of wrestling fans, and if it is him making GBS threads his own pants the percentage only goes down to 90

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

the Jericho match with Adam Cole was extremely dire. At his peak in the company, when he was just constantly on TV doing poo poo and taking up a lot of the Hangman reign, I was dreading them possibly putting the belt on him since his ringwork had deteriorated a lot and his overall persona I just never bought into, even back in NXT when he had endless cinematic fights with Johnny Gargano. pretty glad there's zero chance it'll happen now.

This was one of my biggest complaints about Cole. Every one of his segments was SO LONG because he had to do his entire entrance and BOOM every. single. time.

Shard posted:

Hogan vs Ultimate Warrior at Halloween Havoc is still my worse one seen.

There are an endless number of WWE matches from 2011-present that could qualify as the worst match I've ever seen.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I’m sure the droves of potential fans coming in to watch the big fight footage are gonna want to stick around to watch The Natural Dustin Rhodes in action.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dustbin Rhodes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

NienNunb posted:

I’m sure the droves of potential fans coming in to watch the big fight footage are gonna want to stick around to watch The Natural Dustin Rhodes in action.

lol

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The aew hell thread is still breaking new grounds

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

lmfao

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

don't call him that or i'll kick your rear end

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

lol that got me. Bravo

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

NienNunb posted:

I turned against him

You who tried to convince me for years of this Adam Cole

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

don't forget the convoluted panama sunrise set up every single match for one of the dumbest moves in wrestling

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I just feel bad for Britt Baker

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Eat My Fuc posted:

You who tried to convince me for years of this Adam Cole

You don’t know poo poo about piss about 2012-2014 PWG, the ambrosia of the gods, before he got trapped in the Black Lodge

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Eat My Fuc posted:

I just feel bad for Britt Baker

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

My favourite thing about Adam Cole is this story from Chuck Taylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK_81F6x4ds

he seems like a good dude but he can't drink water right, how is he supposed to get over

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I'm watching Dynamite for the first time in a long time for this stupid video and this match is just a snooze to me.

This doesn't feel like putting your best foot forward when you're going to pop a rating.

First a run in to halt the first match and then immediately just running into the next one without a break or much of an explanation just seems weird.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Have you considered Penta is suffering from Willie Wonka’s trick and progressively swelling fatter

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

I'm watching Dynamite for the first time in a long time for this stupid video and this match is just a snooze to me.

This doesn't feel like putting your best foot forward when you're going to pop a rating.

First a run in to halt the first match and then immediately just running into the next one without a break or much of an explanation just seems weird.

I don't really know how to respond to this because I'm really enjoying this match and don't have anything really constructive to add.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

That was severely underwhelming.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wouldn't have shown that on TV but man it made CM Punk look like a little bitch

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I wouldn't have shown that on TV but man it made CM Punk look like a little bitch

there was no music or sound effects it was so different than anything else on tv its like CINEMA

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://x.com/AEW/status/1778223240277541341

This is embarrassing to watch.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Eh I think it fit the bucks character and the FTR promo built towards the match so it was an okay segment even if again the Punk video is only real interesting to people plugged into backstage drama

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think it was contextualized about as well as it possibly could've been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

So it was two pushes and then Punk put Perry in a headlock and then let him go when everyone intervened. So it basically played out as Punk said it did on Helwanis show.