Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Legit question, in that context of this is normal where do you put the fight when you remember that Punk, the guy who moaned about the biggest house AEW had being jeopardized by empty headed Hangman Page, went and did exactly the same thing with a sucker punch and a lovely guillotine?

Strike one was the rant, which should have been stopped a lot earlier by Tony if he had any gumption or leadership to him, and then Brawl Out. We don't know how long any actual suspension was by Punk since he was injured at the time. This is strike two and from my past experiences I would say it would lead to a bigger fine, another unpaid vacation, and having to genuinely stand in front of the entire locker room and sincerely apologize before coming back. I know Punk said he quit but people say poo poo in the heat of the moment and when they calm down you can have reasonable discussions. It's also important to remember that star players do get different treatment than role players, if this was someone who's jobbing in three minutes on Rampage they don't get any strikes they get tossed out.

When I say conflicts like these were normal I don't mean it was Fight Club 24/7, I mean that over the course of a season tempers got heated and occasionally flared out of control. Sometimes the more respected coaches were able to get things under control before they reached a boiling point, sometimes sometone took an elbow and immediately retaliated and the whole thing was done in two seconds of action and thirty seconds of yelling. It only became an issue if someone wasn't able to let matters be and that's the poo poo that could sink entire seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Joey McChrist posted:

i aint reading all of that dogshit part deux

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
My genuine takes are this:

I think worked shoot angles/feuds suck and this at the end of the day was just another one of those.

The footage didn't show me anything I wasn't already aware of from all the reports and witnesses. Knew Punk walked up to Perry and started arguing, knew he shoved first and put Perry in a headlock. Knew he bumped into the guerilla position monitors where Tony was. Knew Joe pulled them apart and then Punk lunged and yelled at Tony. Knew Punk was a thin skinned guy with anger issues who can't fight. Wish people weren't blocking the fight so we could see if Perry slipped right out. Felt bad for Chris Hero and thought it was funny HOOK didn't care.

Thought Ospreay's promo at the HHH jabs were better because that's just straight shooting back at someone who took shots at you. Rather had Tony Khan call CM Punk a thin skinned psycho and post the video on twitter. A shame Punk's mostly playing cool and not melting down but I guess we're destined to do this forever with the next interview he has on the WWE sponsored Pat McAfee or Ariel Helwani interview show.

Think its funny that because the CCTV footage of CM Punk fighting backstage aired on AEW TV that they're able to send copywrite strikes to people on twitter for rehosting it. Helwani saying this happened to him for putting his Punk interview audio over the CCTV footage. Its weird though that they uploaded the segment to youtube without the CCTV footage though.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Shard posted:

They did introduce a Tony proxy in nxt years ago he's gone now I think

he's just the cum tuesday von wagner guys manager/tag partner and his only defining thing is being a dad now, but mostly off tv

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
If you think that CM Punk was really in the right... then please donate to the CM Punk legal defense fund that'll totally go to CM Punk and not towards fixing my busted car.

Pm me for details.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cm punk bought tommy tallarico's house

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

It only became an issue if someone wasn't able to let matters be and that's the poo poo that could sink entire seasons.

Interesting. Could sink the biggest house

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Gumball Gumption posted:

Interesting. Could sink the biggest house

Only if a failure of leadership allows for it. If your house of card is so fragile one push knocks it over, it's the fault of who built it.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Totally different feud, House of Card is facing Edge and Eddie Kingston

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Aew gonna be pushed any day now

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

One day people are going to point to Tapegate as the night that made them quit aew much the same as the wwe blood money shows did for people.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i'm gonna need more footage of fans reactions there

https://twitter.com/EliteClubS0B/status/1778233809613508771

edit lmao that account is so weird, ELITE fan account branding but just full of making GBS threads on AEW and pro punk?

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 11, 2024

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

loving morons

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Shard posted:

One day people are going to point to Tapegate as the night that made them quit aew much the same as the wwe blood money shows did for people.

schiavone should have said "this'll put butts in the seats" just to cap it off

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I find it really funny that it was so quiet there that you can hear individual people’s voices echoing in the reaction videos

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Punk and Perry both saying Punk had an entourage backing him up when it was just Jerry Lynn and maybe Dustin Rhodes doing agent work??? Honestly wished they never showed the footage just because all the stories were funnier to imagine

Green Toad
Jan 18, 2024

C. Everett Koop posted:

I didn't watch (because lol at watching AEW) but I can't believe the thing that everyone said was a bad idea turned out to be a bad idea. The only person who benefitted from this making TV was CM Punk and the only way he could have benefitted more was if the tape showed him getting Tony in mount and crushing him with a ground and pound for fifteen minutes.

Let me place something into context: I used to work in sports, spent a lot of time in and out of locker rooms. Once you reach a certain level of competition, where there's actual stakes to what people are playing for, there's almost always some kind of confrontation at least once a season. Sometimes it's pushing and shoving, sometimes someone grabs another person and they wrestle for a second, sometimes punches actually get thrown. It may be during practice, it may be in the locker room, once for me it happened on the bus back from a game right after we all stopped at a gas station at 2 in the morning. It lasts for maybe one to two seconds before everyone rushes in to break it up. The end result is laps for those involved, fines if those involved earn money, the coach gives one of those serious talks to the whole team afterwards, and everyone moves on. 99.9% of the time it doesn't go public because it ends up not being a big deal, and part of what makes it a big deal is that it happens somewhat regularly. I've seen it bring a team together, I've seen it finish a bad team off, I've been around teams where the tension is so thick people start wondering who's going to be the first one to start a fight. It's a thing that happens in locker rooms.

"This can't happen in a professional workspace" is what people say and I would agree. If you did this in an office or a worksite or a classroom you'd be disciplined and probably fired. But this isn't your normal workspace. Your job doesn't depend on you slamming into other people for several hours a day, either in practice or in the games themselves. You don't have to look over your shoulder for someone wanting to take your spot and your playing time and your position and your paycheck. When lives are at stake, conflict inevitably arises, the question is how do you deal with it when tensions finally reach a boiling point. A lot of it comes down to good leadership and as we've seen time and time again with Tony, even bad leadership is beyond him.

I know no one's going to read this and are instead going to tell me to shut up and go gently caress myself and eat a bullet or whatever, but that's the honest truth. Leak this footage to TMZ the day after firing Punk if you want to win an online PR slapfight, but this poo poo was embarassing and the only person who comes out looking good is the person this was supposed to embarass.

Also Shang Tsung is far better than Quan Chi, Quan hasn't won a single fight in MK while Shang Tsung nearly overook Earthrealm, plus Shang was the villain in the one good MK movie since we don't talk about Armageddon and the new one was mid at best and furthermore I

phil brooks can't punch hard enough to hurt anyone

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
i dont think aew is turbo hosed and doomed to repeat wcw 2000 or whatever. i just thought it was a dumb idea and was not something i enjoyed or cared about watching on the only wrestling show i try to watch every week.

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015
https://x.com/OCSteveSDS/status/1778244262473429019

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
that's a bit too jase thread material imo

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

smdh they didnt even do the meme right

Meth Rollins
Jun 24, 2005
There is so much adderall usage in this thread tonight.

15-20 minutes of stupid bullshit seems light for any wrestling show, historically. Not sure what all this death knell talk is

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Meth Rollins posted:

15-20 minutes of stupid bullshit seems light for any wrestling show, historically. Not sure what all this death knell talk is

The video attracted some bad faith posters and also brought out some poo poo posters. But one poster is having like an existential crisis with aew for some reason and everything the company does makes him hope it dies soon.

I don't get it. Aew puts on good wrestling matches and I like good wrestling matches. Also its not run by sex traffickers which is nice.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Shard posted:

The video attracted some bad faith posters and also brought out some poo poo posters. But one poster is having like an existential crisis with aew for some reason and everything the company does makes him hope it dies soon.

I don't get it. Aew puts on good wrestling matches and I like good wrestling matches. Also its not run by sex traffickers which is nice.

WWE has brand recognition and brand recognition is all a lot of people are interested in lately. That's probably not changing until a brand becomes too toxic to support, but it kinda seems like there's no such thing any more.

Meth Rollins posted:

Good username/post combo.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Seriously this thread is starting to devolve into r/squaredcircle nonsense.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Kirios posted:

Seriously this thread is starting to devolve into r/squaredcircle nonsense.

Let the hell thread be the hell thread please

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

This subforum is r/AEWofficial.

A wrestler punched another wrestler oh no!!! What a demon! This is a workplace! Please ignore all the other times this happened and I thought it was cool before.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

RBX posted:

This subforum is r/AEWofficial.

A wrestler punched another wrestler oh no!!! What a demon! This is a workplace! Please ignore all the other times this happened and I thought it was cool before.

okay name the times it happened and i thought it was cool

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
Hello my fellow goons, I know this may be out of line, but I don't think people should be assault their coworkers and threatening their boss. But I'm just a normal guy. Unless it's a Billionaire. Does Tony Khan count if it's his dad money?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

u wander into aew hell u dont get to complain when the devils start gettin their rabbles in

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ZHamburglar posted:

Hello my fellow goons, I know this may be out of line, but I don't think people should be assault their coworkers and threatening their boss. But I'm just a normal guy. Unless it's a Billionaire. Does Tony Khan count if it's his dad money?

tony is a billionaire himself through his analytics company that his dad helped him start, but he is a miniscule billionaire compared to his multibillionaire dad (who granted is the very rare example of a billionaire who got there himself and not through old money)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Booker and Batista
Goldberg Jericho
Vince Bret
Shawn Bret
Brock perfect
Brock Kurt
Andrade Sammy

Probably more we don't hear about because it's not a big deal and usually people don't fight the stars of the company because that career suicide. Just like this fight wasn't a big deal like Samoa Joe said. It only got blown up because some people aren't used to confrontation and get scared to death whenever someone raises their voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTzZli5jOEk

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Ringo Roadagain posted:

okay name the times it happened and i thought it was cool

eddie kingston and sammy

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Punk and AEW made so much funny poo poo in such a short period of time. Demonic voice Punk ranting about his coworkers while eating muffins and his boss sitting there not knowing what to do, a fight where someone got bit for no reason and that person wasn't even really involved in the fight, the elbow drop to the balls, getting hurt trying to do the move of the guy you called out, getting mad at getting chopped, and so on.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

eddie kingston and sammy

I dont think eddie kingston attacking sammy was cool and neither does eddie kingston.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Punk and AEW made so much funny poo poo in such a short period of time. Demonic voice Punk ranting about his coworkers while eating muffins and his boss sitting there not knowing what to do, a fight where someone got bit for no reason and that person wasn't even really involved in the fight, the elbow drop to the balls, getting hurt trying to do the move of the guy you called out, getting mad at getting chopped, and so on.

the elbow drop in the balls will always be the best part of cm punk's aew legacy

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Tony’s face during that scrum is still one of the best moments in wrestling history

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

I dont think eddie kingston attacking sammy was cool and neither does eddie kingston.

Some tough guy New Yorker he is then

Happiness
Oct 10, 2004

RBX posted:

Booker and Batista
Goldberg Jericho
Vince Bret
Shawn Bret
Brock perfect
Brock Kurt
Andrade Sammy

Probably more we don't hear about because it's not a big deal and usually people don't fight the stars of the company because that career suicide. Just like this fight wasn't a big deal like Samoa Joe said. It only got blown up because some people aren't used to confrontation and get scared to death whenever someone raises their voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTzZli5jOEk

i think it probably actually got blown up because the same guy punched people in front of his bosses on multiple occasions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

His "bosses" tried to come in his locker room and grandstand and they hosed around and found out.