Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im hearing tragically that playing chained echoes violates bds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Al! posted:

im hearing tragically that playing chained echoes violates bds

That was a major selling point for me.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Slowly working through Diablo 4's campaign on Gamepass when I don't feel like playing anything else and its okay I guess. I'm not really an ARPG player nor am I in the gambling stage of the game so I can't really comment on those systems, but the combat is pleasingly chunky and the story/presentation is decent. I appreciate that it doesn't fall into the trap of some DARK FANTASY stuff where everything is horrible and never gets better. NPCs will react positively to you finishing side quests and advancing the story, even if those changes aren't actually reflected in the game world. Keeps everything from feeling pointless, which is kind of ironic for game who's endpoint is a loot treadmill.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
much like with David Warner as Irenicus in BG2, Ralph Ineson voicing Lorath does a lot to carry the campaign in D4

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i've been playing spiritfarer and i've been pleasantly surprised; the gameplay is light enough to just sort of vibe with and not worry too much about maximizing my time; sailing around in the beautiful ocean world and cooking food for my ghost buddies is relaxing; i'm also finding it more affecting than i expected, partially due to Stuff In My Life, partially due to being a sap in general, and in large part just the quality of the writing and characterization.

tonight, i was in the process of seing one of my spirits through the final door, and everyone else on my boat gathered around to see us off. since it was taking a while for them to get to the exit point, i started talking to the other waiting spirits... and they were all hungry since it was morning. we ended up departing for their final transition beyond this demimortal plane with a backdrop of the rest of the crew absolutely going to town with their eating animations, which tbh is how i think i'd like it to be for me as well.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
spiritfarer is too sad, 0/10

uncle frog..... :nms:

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Ive tried to like Battle Brothers several times over the years, but the best strategy being to bully a guy with daggers to get his armor is just such a massive turn off for me. I hate that kind of tedious micro management of an encounter I've clearly decisively won in order to maximize resources. I dropped Battletech, a game I otherwise really liked, over the same thing

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Al! posted:

this is what i call my "i really liked stellaris but i cant afford it" problem

They finally came out with a subscription for Stellaris. For $10 a month you can play with all the DLCs. Theres a few I don't own because they just never appealed to me, like Astral Planes or First Contact, that I might try out some month just to see if I'm missing anything.

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

I've been feeling burnt out on gaming for the last couple of months, so i haven't touched a single game in some time. Buy a game, play for a couple of hours, let it collect dust, repeat. I think it's probably for the best that I put gaming aside for a while, however, as of today I have a really strong urge to play Tears of the Kingdom again. Never finished it, might give it a spin after work!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
i mean this with no ill-will or malice, but that's called depression

we've all been there

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah, staring at your games list for an hour unable to decide what, if anything, you want to play, then booting up something and listlessly clicking around for a bit before abruptly closing it without saving is a classic sign of brain troubles

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

https://twitter.com/SamLakeRMD/status/1777820551416873304

also echoing everyone recommending crosscode and chained echoes, those two games are incredibly good

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Xaris posted:

spiritfarer is too sad, 0/10

uncle frog..... :nms:

thats just death man

i ended up getting to the end game stuff too early so i had to sit through like 4 funerals in a row to complete the game :smith:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Nix Panicus posted:

Yeah, staring at your games list for an hour unable to decide what, if anything, you want to play, then booting up something and listlessly clicking around for a bit before abruptly closing it without saving is a classic sign of brain troubles

but that's every day :v:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Nix Panicus posted:

What if you also f5 forum threads?

sassypotassium
Jun 12, 2023

Nix Panicus posted:

I am quite aware of that. Last september I was struggling with panic attacks for the first time ever, I have been in therapy since december. Been feeling a lot better as of late. Even though collecting korok seeds might not be the very best thing for a person's sanity... We'll see.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Nix Panicus posted:

Don't doxx me please. :(

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Fuckt Tupp posted:

thats just death man

i ended up getting to the end game stuff too early so i had to sit through like 4 funerals in a row to complete the game :smith:
yeah yeah i know. that one hit hard for personal reasons just up and gone

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Nix Panicus posted:

Ive tried to like Battle Brothers several times over the years, but the best strategy being to bully a guy with daggers to get his armor is just such a massive turn off for me. I hate that kind of tedious micro management of an encounter I've clearly decisively won in order to maximize resources. I dropped Battletech, a game I otherwise really liked, over the same thing

You don't have to do that and it's only really worthwhile for brigand bosses and knights for a handful of times in a playthrough. I guess it's that Soren Johnson (I think) quote where if given the opportunity, players will optimize all the fun out of the game.

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

hey uh whoever mentioned Moonring i loving love you. this game is loving ridiculous

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Buddykins posted:

hey uh whoever mentioned Moonring i loving love you. this game is loving ridiculous
if you want another free addicting game, try Orb of Creation https://marple.itch.io/orb-of-creation

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Definitely buying spiritfarer too. I need a good cry

Buddykins
Feb 12, 2011

Xaris posted:

if you want another free addicting game, try Orb of Creation https://marple.itch.io/orb-of-creation

hell yeah thank you :cheersbird:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Been playing the old C&C games (not the remakes). I forgot how brutal the first C&C was, especially the Nod campaign with the constant airstrike that can one shot every building if they hit right.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

It's so good, go for the beta branch in Steam. Best "idle" clicker number-go-up game for the 5 to 12 hour range. Love casting spells.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Nix Panicus posted:

Play like I do and completely ignore that nerd poo poo. Any armor that couldn't survive being beat on is clearly not worth it and also I'm sorry used armor? Like a peasant? I pay for armor with the spoils of my many victories.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sassypotassium posted:

I've been feeling burnt out on gaming for the last couple of months, so i haven't touched a single game in some time. Buy a game, play for a couple of hours, let it collect dust, repeat. I think it's probably for the best that I put gaming aside for a while, however, as of today I have a really strong urge to play Tears of the Kingdom again. Never finished it, might give it a spin after work!

THC edibles are the trick here, take one and in an hour you'll have a window of an hour or two where you get some of that old feeling back. Boot up the game then and theres a good chance it will become self-sustaining

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

there's nothing wrong with wanting to take a break from games for awhile and coming back to it refreshed. having a diverse set of hobbies is good for you imo

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

anyone do cyberpunk in vr with the luke ross mod? wonder if it's worth the effort

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I sure the vr freak will let you know momentarily

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
its VReally jank, idk Al! probably lvoed that poo poo lol

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

Been thinking about it and the optimal number of Hitlers per JRPG is 3. One main Hitler antagonist, the Hitler behind the Hitler you find out about in the last couple hours, and a non-party Hitler on the protag's side to tut-tut and moralize at. Ideally Hitler Prime has a crew of 3-6 lieutenants of a Goebbels/Himmler/Göring nature, most with their own dungeons. Check out my Substack for more.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

its VReally jank, idk Al! probably lvoed that poo poo lol

ok cant be hosed anyway ill just play it regular

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
it just does the lil parallel trick where it splits the baby (fps) by switching camera position. so when i tried it the ghosting effect sucked rear end.... which is made even worse because it needs to use its own homebrew framegen to get the fps back up because its loving cyberpunk lol. in 10 years when you can run that poo poo at 120fps real frames it'll be badass

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
actual games with proper resolution textures, etc look extremely badass in VR.... like looking at the city scape kicks rear end. but then i just deleted all that crap lol. it'll be real cool eventually... with pathtracing it'd be eyepopping beyond belief

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
yep. and if thc doesnt work a lil key bump should do the trick

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Iirc Chained Echoes has 4 Hitlers, one of whom is a group with no named individual members so I dunno if it counts

Frederick / Gwayn / church CEO guy / Vaen

Gwayn also might not count come to think of it. Pseudohitler

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
If chained echos truely is the XenoSomething successor, then how many crucifixions occur?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
if meta wasn't metarded they'd just pay the engine development companies to put easy hooks for VR rendering but that'd be a scheme to push hardware whereas they want to have their super face console facebook closed ecosystem that doesn't actually work or make money for anybody lol. oh well