Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I wonder if anything is different between Diablo and Diablo 4 that would make matchmaking seem more appropriate

i do miss the server browser, there's an ineffable essence to joining 'BigBaalz 13' that matchmaking can't match

also the gem, and the user list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Cerepol posted:

i do miss the server browser, there's an ineffable essence to joining 'BigBaalz 13' that matchmaking can't match

Same. That stuff was pure magic in the mid-90s, and I’m baffled that nearly 30 years on Blizzard managed to create a situation in which it’s actually harder to meaningfully interact with other players.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

they cant do that anymore. the moment someone got scammed or had a drop stolen bcos they joined a random lobby there would be 100 youtube videos screaming about how unfair it is.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Stux posted:

they cant do that anymore. the moment someone got scammed or had a drop stolen bcos they joined a random lobby there would be 100 youtube videos screaming about how unfair it is.
Sadly, you’re right.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I just take 4x10 stacks, and that's usually plenty. I believe you get 3 pearls for finishing a vault, and I have over 100 at this point so I'm not going to run out before the season ends.

I started doing this too because it's not like I was actually going to be avoiding traps on a charge barb. My number of pearls did not go down doing this and I pretty much always had enough stacks to open all the chests at the end.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cerepol posted:

The fact that there’s no gem equivalent is all the proof you need that the real talent at Blizzard left long ago

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

The fact that there’s no gem equivalent is all the proof you need that the real talent at Blizzard left long ago

No cow level either. Hell, not even a single Diablo!

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

There’s plenty of clues that just stop dead for a cow level. Probably scrapped to get the game out the door, hopefully it makes an appearance in the expansion

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Rainbow cows.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

just get like 50 vault points or whatever and barrel through cinders

pearls are extremely common

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Finally clearing level 100 nightmare vaults - feels good.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Stux posted:

linear progression is boring and dull. rng drops are fun.

Oh, absolutely - there should always be hard to find, god-like chase items that rocket you into harder content or make farming hilariously easier - but you should be achieve this without the current WT4 experience of "I haven't found or been able to craft a worthwhile upgrade in 20 hours of play time and I'm not even at level cap"

Affix changes and tempering will hopefully smooth this over a bit, and making Uniques a bit easier to find while doing things other than farming specific bosses for them will hopefully keep the RNG drop fun factor there.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
how long are you suggesting it should take to find a 'god-like chase item'?

e: or am I reading that backwards and you're saying that chase-item drop rates shouldn't have much bearing on mid-late game rate of gearing

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 11, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Chasing godly items should always be the logical endpoint of any ARPG. The problem right now in D4 is that 1) the uber uniques are not godly and 2) they require doing one specific game activity to the detriment of anything else. In D2 a Ber can drop from Baal, but you're almost as likely statistically speaking to get one from some random basket in Durance of Hate. In Diablo 4 you have some MMO-level keyfarming everyone hates with 1 canned boss encounter everyone just smashes through to have any realistic chance of seeing an uber drop. And unlike HFTs in D2 it's not a one-and-done or able to be traded. All this for a pool of rather underwhelming items to begin with.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Chasing godly items should always be the logical endpoint of any ARPG. The problem right now in D4 is that 1) the uber uniques are not godly and 2) they require doing one specific game activity to the detriment of anything else. In D2 a Ber can drop from Baal, but you're almost as likely statistically speaking to get one from some random basket in Durance of Hate. In Diablo 4 you have some MMO-level keyfarming everyone hates with 1 canned boss encounter everyone just smashes through to have any realistic chance of seeing an uber drop. And unlike HFTs in D2 it's not a one-and-done or able to be traded. All this for a pool of rather underwhelming items to begin with.
uuuuuh

Grinding for ever to find some single god drop actually loving sucks both as a gameplay experience and an end game state. Today's D4 sucks balls yes but what D4 PTR is chasing is at least conceptually better where people custom craft their entire build and spend a lot of time refining and perfecting it. So you end up at least with people crafting their own end game builds and having a better time doing it instead of everybody having the same end game megadrop in mind and end game builds looking largely the same. I would get bored out of my mind hoping for some mega macguffin to eventually drop no matter if its D4 Duriel or D2 Baal or PoE or WoW or whatever, it always sucks in the end repeating X activity Y times for a 0.Z% chance at some drop.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 11, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Requiring some obscenely rare drop to progress is stupid as hell but simply having extremely rare things in the game is unquestionably cool and good, albeit d4 trying to have chase items should probably be secondary to d4 actually having an interesting amount of uniques/legendaries in the first place

What you're describing Bisse sounds a helluva lot like how d3 handles mid/late game build progression, but without sets, unless I'm missing something?

Bisse posted:

I would get bored out of my mind hoping for some mega macguffin to eventually drop no matter if its D4 Duriel or D2 Baal or PoE or WoW or whatever, it always sucks in the end repeating X activity Y times for a 0.Z% chance at some drop.

generally in arpgs these things work on the idea that you're playing normally and maybe you happen to find one and then it lets you do something entirely different. outside of unemployed people or streamers playing fulltime, chase items aren't really things people farm directly for in most cases. on the other hand, if you have like 20 or so items like that in the game and people on average find 2 or 3 in a regular season of play, that's enough that they get to play with them but they also remain special and add a unique experience to each season.

returning to d4 specifically, designing compelling items worth being that rare is difficult and d4 seems to need more regular uniques/legendaries much more than it needs op ultra rare items or w/e

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 11, 2024

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

POE is fun because there is a giant list of very valuable stuff that could drop at any moment, and you can sell that stuff off to other people if you don't need it.

In D4 there is no economy and most drops are usable and often catered to your specific character. This means the list of rare drops is tiny by comparison and often made exceedingly rare to the point you can consider yourself lucky to find one or two over your entire season if you put in a normal amount of time.

Chase items are a must to make an ARPG feel good to grind, but the way D4's single player experience is set up makes it all very very dull.

For a self proclaimed MMO ARPG, D4 severely lacks in the community department

But I often have terrible opinions

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Trading is great it's dumb how neutered it is in the always online diablo

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
An MMO with no matchmaking and no auction house and the cosmetics aren’t worth buying and no pvp arenas and guilds do nothing and there’s no group content beyond blitzing the stuff you can do solo anyway.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Kaysette posted:

An MMO with no matchmaking and no auction house and the cosmetics aren’t worth buying and guilds do nothing and there’s no group content beyond blitzing the stuff you can do solo anyway.

And then the one endgame activity that gives you the best items in the game is ludicrously weighted towards full groups

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
The way chase items work in D4 is completely backwards. If I am powerful enough to kill the boss that drops Uber uniques and have them on farm, why do I need the chase item that it drops? The quest to get a build enabling item for my Druid, when I already have to have a really good Druid build to farm it is silly, and its not going to keep people playing for long.

I'd rather see build enabling items start dropping in WT3 with reduced stats, and then have the uber bosses drop shards, in addition to items, that you take to a vendor and trade in for any unique item. Make the vendor versions have lower stats so the boss drop is still the best thing to get. You know what I want to do when I have a fairly geared out Druid that can beat endgame content? Try that cool looking Wizard build, or the new Necro build I see people playing. I might feel like I've had my fill of the season, but if I look at my stash and see I have enough shards to start up a new build for a new class, I'll be tempted to give it a shot rather than move on.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Being able to craft and refine your items is a real good step in the right direction for me. But also having Uniques that are utterly broken that are rare drops would be nice. Of all the drops, these should be super exciting to get - some of them are! But having some sort of automated trade system in place would be fine. Like some sort auction house-like thing where it's "Offering X, looking for Y" that you simply slot the item they're looking for in and you instantly get the item they posted. Where items are the currency instead of gold.

Having alternatives to ultra rare drops is a good thing. I liked Diablo 2 but farming for those rare runewords was not fun, so I never did it. But I also never traded for anything because I simply did not know the value of anything. So having QoL features that make these things as quick and painless as possible would be awesome.

Having MMO-like raids would be neat too - uber bosses being something you can just queue for in a party finder and make them mechanics-heavy encounters.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I finished the campaign but aren't sure if there's anything campaign-like left for me. I visited the Tree and saw that there are kill quests, but since I mostly like following stories are there any of those left?

EDIT: Since I'm not a big ARPG fan maybe I'm just done, but that's ok. I enjoyed it.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 11, 2024

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

I finished the campaign but aren't sure if there's anything campaign-like left for me. I visited the Tree and saw that there are kill quests, but since I mostly like following stories are there any of those left?

You can do the side quests. The witch lady I think has a new tiny quest line after the campaign.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: Since I'm not a big ARPG fan maybe I'm just done, but that's ok. I enjoyed it.

If you made a seasonal character then you can do the season quest line now. It should be marked with a green leaf symbol on the map

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

We're a little over a month away from season 4. I'm ready for a season reveal. I think I want to play this video game again soon.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Story stuff is done yes. If you like doing quests you can finish up the last of those. Otherwise the game is now about getting better gear, higher levels, reaching WT4, beating uber bosses, etc. If that doesn’t sound exciting then you could replay the campaign with a different class. Otherwise just thank the game for the good times.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
I think the key to chase items being a better idea is to have content where they might actually be useful. Because, yeah, getting the best items from the most difficult content feels weird. "I can already do this, so what point is there in getting more powerful?"

Current D4 doesn't have that in the slightest, while S4's Not Greater Rifts should in theory help on that front.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

bio347 posted:

I think the key to chase items being a better idea is to have content where they might actually be useful. Because, yeah, getting the best items from the most difficult content feels weird. "I can already do this, so what point is there in getting more powerful?"

Current D4 doesn't have that in the slightest, while S4's Not Greater Rifts should in theory help on that front.

I agree with this completely. I play as an Upheaval Barb and there are some incredibly great aspects that make it an easy build to get to and it only gets stronger from there when you find gear with the proper stats on it. I looked up little bits for the build to get an idea of what to go for and that lead me to some of the videos from people who live for building up characters. They're doing like 100 million damage with every Charge and Upheaval in them. I look at the uniques they have, that say that are BiS, and they are indeed super powerful then I look up who drops them and they're, essentially, the final challenges in the game.

It's like it's missing the last step, but I don't know what that solution to that problem is either. So you get all the greatest gear then you can fight super duper uber bosses, but what would they drop to incentivize you? If they're mechanically super fun then that could be a good reward in of itself but since these games are skinner boxes having that treat at the end of that fight would have to be pretty special and significant beyond bragging rights. Unique transmogs, maybe?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

In Diablo 4 you have some MMO-level keyfarming

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

TyrantWD posted:

The way chase items work in D4 is completely backwards. If I am powerful enough to kill the boss that drops Uber uniques and have them on farm, why do I need the chase item that it drops?

because then you win the game and the character is over. no one needs a hellfire torch if they are able to get a hellfire torch. no one needs poe uber boss drops if they are able to beat the bosses that drop them. like what is even the proposed solution, would you like an end game activity that drops nothing and rewards nothing and serves as purely a gear check and thats it. a final boss that has no loot table?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Jimbot posted:

It's like it's missing the last step, but I don't know what that solution to that problem is either. So you get all the greatest gear then you can fight super duper uber bosses, but what would they drop to incentivize you? If they're mechanically super fun then that could be a good reward in of itself but since these games are skinner boxes having that treat at the end of that fight would have to be pretty special and significant beyond bragging rights. Unique transmogs, maybe?

just copy the dang PoE totem/cosmetic poo poo for doing stuff during a season imo
I am also on the odd end where I find doing challenging content its own reward, however in arpgs with number goes up it becomes quite hard to make difficult content that isn't just difficult because number is too low. it requires good mechanics and design, sure lock a capstone behind needing big number but don't make it trivial like the current end content if your number is stronk

Considering how long it took them to fix the uber Lilith visual fuckery im not sure they got it in them, which is wild considering they have a shitload of ideas from their other games to adapt to arpgs.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Stux posted:

because then you win the game and the character is over. no one needs a hellfire torch if they are able to get a hellfire torch. no one needs poe uber boss drops if they are able to beat the bosses that drop them. like what is even the proposed solution, would you like an end game activity that drops nothing and rewards nothing and serves as purely a gear check and thats it. a final boss that has no loot table?

This is where the lack of trading kills it, you get a perfect sorc torch and you can equip a whole new character, or get a perfect item for your dude or whatever, it gives that longevity at the high end.

Hitting the jackpot in d2 feels good because it's either a perfect item you need or you can transform it into a bunch of hr to get whatever you're currently chasing. Some builds like a Nova Sorc can be extremely expensive to perfect (and a blast to play when strong) and rolling a few different guys in a season has alot of strengths (a smiter for your torches, a barb to hork Trav, etc.)

flashman fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 11, 2024

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

that i agree with. the diablo 3 loot 2.0 rework and its consequences have been a disaster for the diablo series.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Stux posted:

that i agree with. the diablo 3 loot 2.0 rework and its consequences have been a disaster for the diablo series.

Agreed. I dislike the homogenization of classes as well so everyone needs to be the same at doing every thing

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Stux posted:

its wild cause it's easily fixable, enable drops for top tier loot to be class agnostic. you wont get flooded with trash for not your class.

OR loot filters

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think they're adding a loot filter to S4. When an Ancestral drops with only 2 affixes, they will helpfully give it a bright Yellow highlighting. If 3 affixes, kind of a orangey brown

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
After playing Last Epoch and PoE coming back to Diablo IV for the PTR and slowly realizing that there's still no loot filter was absolutely wild for me.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
wish i had a glute filter because some of these posts are rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Good one!