Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Man, Big Joel's video on Conservative Comedy is hard for me to get through. Not because it's badly done, but because usually videos on conservative culture are shorter or focused on breaking down a specific idea, but this is just showing how blatant hatred is an essential part of their amusement. It feels more depressing and real than a lot of similar videos.

I've learned within the past two weeks that the guy who made that kinda funny gluten-free parody and the chick who did the 25 different accents on youtube both became totally insane people. I can only hope the Saad continued to not give a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Dawgstar posted:

The only two story arcs he wrote were one with the Lizard controlled by Kraven the Hunter's heretofore unknown voodoo girlfriend
I found out only recently that Calypso wasn't invented by McFarlane and was in fact created by Dennis O'Neil for a Kraven story in Amazing Spider-Man #209 back in 1980. I always assumed Todd just completely made her up for Torment because he wanted to draw a hot voodoo lady.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Vagabong posted:

Did NorthenLion's voice change in the last 8 years? I used to watch his Isaac content back in the day and I swear he sounds completely different.
His voice has absolutely dramatically changed. He's said that he used to put on a bit of a voice when streaming/recording and doesn't anymore, but I think it is also just over a decade of doing this stuff and getting older.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

LazyMaybe posted:

His voice has absolutely dramatically changed. He's said that he used to put on a bit of a voice when streaming/recording and doesn't anymore, but I think it is also just over a decade of doing this stuff and getting older.

He was seriously ill for a bit too at one point, and I think that changed his voice somewhat as well.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Nuebot posted:

Other people, especially those outside of your personal circle, can serve as a very important like, humanity buffer? I don't know a better way to put it, but insular fetish spaces can get really hosed up if they're exclusively filled with people who are into whatever insanely specific and niche thing it is because without some kind of outside reality check people fall down some really weird rabbit holes and kind of lose all sense of perspective and reality

But enough about our posting itt.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DMorbid posted:

I found out only recently that Calypso wasn't invented by McFarlane and was in fact created by Dennis O'Neil for a Kraven story in Amazing Spider-Man #209 back in 1980. I always assumed Todd just completely made her up for Torment because he wanted to draw a hot voodoo lady.

Huh. That's a little impressive. Not enough to make the story good because I recall it's mostly pretentious captions over the art, but impressive.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Schurik posted:

Haw incredibly ridiculously bad Lady Ballers is was put into sharp relief by a video that's not even about it, but about a movie from the same thought sewer that actually gets its audience. Those dweebs can't hold a candle to actually insane right wingers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5jkQsHuaWA

this video was really good, thanks for sharing

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

that ticket buying scheme is really smart lol

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've been subbed to Nebula for a while now, and it's kind of fascinating to me how bad it is as a 'general browsing' site for videos. To be slightly fair, there are a few people making videos on there that just happen to not be in my wheelhouse, especially among the ones with more prolific output, so I am getting fewer cool vids to watch than most I'm sure, but lack of good videos isn't the worst thing.

The biggest issue is that there appears to be no way to block channels from showing their new videos. It's one thing when some random channel releases their monthly video you have no interest in, but why on earth do I need to get spammed by this garbage TLDR News channel a half-dozen times a day? Why are the people curating Nebula allowing that kind of spam on 'recent uploads' in the first place? There are a couple other similarly annoying ones but none with the same level of output. I am sure you can probably curate your own view of only channels you subscribe to or whatever but it would be nice to be able to have a little bit of discovery and see if new channels pop up or one of the group of channels I respect but do not watch actually put out something I'm interested in for once. But to do that my feed has to be filled with 75% garbage news videos from 2-3 channels.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Given the whole “creator clubhouse” thing Nebula has going on, I imagine a no-recommend feature would be upsetting to the folks in charge.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Again though, a lot of the stuff I don't watch is either obviously curated towards a similar enough audience, or post rarely enough to not be a big deal. Except these handful of news channels that poo poo out daily+ videos to always dominate the only usable feed on the site, the last released one. The ones for First/Early content are ok too but not as relevant. Don't get me started on my complaints about the general video browsing on there...anyway, point is these are clearly completely different from like every other channel on the site - so if they are so obsessed with making the perfect platform or whatever why are these channels even there?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Insurrectionist posted:

I've been subbed to Nebula for a while now, and it's kind of fascinating to me how bad it is as a 'general browsing' site for videos. To be slightly fair, there are a few people making videos on there that just happen to not be in my wheelhouse, especially among the ones with more prolific output, so I am getting fewer cool vids to watch than most I'm sure, but lack of good videos isn't the worst thing.

The biggest issue is that there appears to be no way to block channels from showing their new videos. It's one thing when some random channel releases their monthly video you have no interest in, but why on earth do I need to get spammed by this garbage TLDR News channel a half-dozen times a day? Why are the people curating Nebula allowing that kind of spam on 'recent uploads' in the first place? There are a couple other similarly annoying ones but none with the same level of output. I am sure you can probably curate your own view of only channels you subscribe to or whatever but it would be nice to be able to have a little bit of discovery and see if new channels pop up or one of the group of channels I respect but do not watch actually put out something I'm interested in for once. But to do that my feed has to be filled with 75% garbage news videos from 2-3 channels.

I don't even understand why that channels, and ones like it, exist. I've noticed this "People livestreaming themselves reacting to the news" format seems to be weirdly popular in the right wing online media sphere, but there's definitely a few of these channels on the left as well and I just don't understand what the appeal is. At least with something like Some More News it's not updating on that regular a basis so they're able to focus on broader topics that have been making the news, but the idea of a near daily show of people just...reading and reacting to news articles just seems like such bad, low effort content to me. If I want the news, I'll just read/watch the news.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Again though, a lot of the stuff I don't watch is either obviously curated towards a similar enough audience, or post rarely enough to not be a big deal. Except these handful of news channels that poo poo out daily+ videos to always dominate the only usable feed on the site, the last released one. The ones for First/Early content are ok too but not as relevant. Don't get me started on my complaints about the general video browsing on there...anyway, point is these are clearly completely different from like every other channel on the site - so if they are so obsessed with making the perfect platform or whatever why are these channels even there?

The impression I get is that it's an MCN with their own hosting tacked on, and some drapery of creator equity to appear like a co-op.

Here's the ceo vibing for yah to get a better sense if the company.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb3v-2BHC1w

ETA content I enjoy, here is a video discussing generative music and patching techniques. I tend to agree with Omri's perspective, or perhaps his approach? His videos on VCV rack patching and module tutorials have been really instructive for my rookie bleep blooping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRYpsvS1nMg

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 11, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Given the whole “creator clubhouse” thing Nebula has going on, I imagine a no-recommend feature would be upsetting to the folks in charge.

somerton was kind of right that its basically an in-group thing. that tl;dr news guy is probably just friends with someone.

edit: note that this does not mean he should have been on it

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Insurrectionist posted:

so if they are so obsessed with making the perfect platform or whatever why are these channels even there?

It’s the perfect platform for me to spend five bucks on once every two years to watch Lindsay’s stuff.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Paladin posted:

It’s the perfect platform for me to spend five bucks on once every two years to watch Lindsay’s stuff.

sometimes I also watch cool Jon bois style video essays on nebula as well

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Radia posted:

sometimes I also watch cool Jon bois style video essays on nebula as well

Oh didn’t know he was on there, I’ll add that to the rotation next time I subscribe.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Paladin posted:

Oh didn’t know he was on there, I’ll add that to the rotation next time I subscribe.

he isn’t, but there’s a science documentary guy who openly credits Jon Bois with inspiring his data visualization presentation style
I’m phone posting but if you look up the guy who almost faked his way to a Nobel prize you’ll find him

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Radia posted:

he isn’t, but there’s a science documentary guy who openly credits Jon Bois with inspiring his data visualization presentation style
I’m phone posting but if you look up the guy who almost faked his way to a Nobel prize you’ll find him

BobbyBroccoli?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Man, Big Joel's video on Conservative Comedy is hard for me to get through. Not because it's badly done, but because usually videos on conservative culture are shorter or focused on breaking down a specific idea, but this is just showing how blatant hatred is an essential part of their amusement. It feels more depressing and real than a lot of similar videos.

Can't remember if it was the same one but he did an in depth look at JP Sears and they're this term I'm trying to remember about how people can blatantly contradict their own previous values to fit in to their new in group. Sears used to be a New Age guy with more banal and neutral humor then he flipped to being alt right, going from making fun of anti vaxxer hippie types and flat earthers to making fun of people wearing masks and worried about climate change.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

KingKalamari posted:

BobbyBroccoli?

yes!!

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

jp sears is a guy desperately trying to fill the hollow space in his soul with external validation by affecting as many signifiers as possible of the group he's trying to ingratiate himself with

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Ivypls posted:

jp sears is a guy desperately trying to fill the hollow space in his soul with external validation by affecting as many signifiers as possible of the group he's trying to ingratiate himself with

Sears left the community that he should be in to enter in to one he really shouldn't be in and it shows

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lmfao

copy
Jul 26, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I have just finished binging this series so I can finally talk about it. It's online creator-adjacent but more found footage / mockumentary stuff, but the current way of watching most of it requires either knowing how to read Chinese fansubs or having no aversion to using your phone translation tool to read the subtitles.

It started with me watching this video that came up via the algorithm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7jkdBoddUE

which I don't recommend you watch first. I would suggest you watch the movie here first, then the video itself (which is also good, as it points out a bunch of interesting missable clues):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtZkPmURGX8

Essentially, this is part of a series of Japanese mockumentaries done in the mundane documentaries you would see on NHK television, and this particular entry is accessible to English speakers because it features a white middle-aged lady as the reporter. However, this is not a standalone entry - this is actually the sequel to one of the original broadcasts of this series.

The series is called 放送禁止 which means "Removed from Broadcasting", essentially LostMedia.mp4s that are rearranged to show why they were removed in the first place. It's an anthology series of 7 tv shows and 3 tv movies where each episode (save for 4) are standalone where there are a bunch of twists and turns, with hints scattered throughout the background and so on pointing at the true nature of the relevant episode.

Unfortunately the only non-Japanese resource I could find for these series have Chinese fansubs, and I don't see any English versions available. These are:

01: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av69174903 - A tv crew investigates why a group of young people who crashed an abandoned warehouse rumoured to be haunted has gone missing. This is easily the weakest of the whole series and I'm glad it's not my first, because it's pretty half-baked. It does however set up the foundation of having things easily missed revealing the actual stuff.

02: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1gU4y1o7ys - the first "Big Family" which is a prequel to the only English language entry. Watching in either order is fine, but watching this first will set up a bunch of things mirrored in the sequel. A documentary ostensibly about a family of 9-10 (unusual in Japan) becomes more sinister as there are weird spirit photos appearing in their mailboxes, mysterious injuries and then a disappearance. The sequel movie picks up 7 years from this with largely the same actors. A strange note is that all the daughters have names of fruits and the sons have names of Street Fighter characters

03: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1f44y1N7hU - Stalker Hell. IMO a miss because it's about an investigation about a lady being stalked and then the twist is kinda expected. While "Big Family" also has it, this has a heavy focus on and starts the series's propensity for Japanese wordplay which probably makes it difficult to translate.

04: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV14Y4y1s7be - A neighbour keeps causing nuisance to a family. This is not bad, the twist is pretty easy to spot and fun.

05: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1QY4y1i7se - A commune (cult?) where people failed by society are led by a “poet”. This has a large element on wordplay which just makes you sigh deeply when you realise what they are going for.

06: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1n34y1b7rU - Death Limit. Like Big Family, this is also a 2-parter. A battered wife asks a reporter to document her abuse so she could report to the police... or is it?

07: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1eg4y197Dr - The Heartfelt Diner. This is a complete riff on Midnight Diner (on Netflix), down to the layout of the diner and some of the wait staff getup. It's a diner where the owner lady will listen to your problems and act as your therapist. Things seem fine until violence and murder occurs... or is it as simple as that??? In my opinion this is a great entry that is deeply marred by the introduction of a "host" who says a bunch of nonsense words about how "is this diner really that good... or is it as simple as that???" so if you actually do watch it just skip everytime he appears onscreen.

The tv movies:

01: https://www.dnyy.cc/player/msP4444E-1-1/ - the sequel to Death Limit. I personally think the first 3/4 of this is good enough and I'm not entirely sure they need that last twist at the end, which just drives it to some peak melodrama. Also features terrible Japanese wordplay! I still do recommend this 2-parter.

02: The Big Family sequel (the youtube video with the English reporter)

03: http://ljmovie.com/kan/97216-1-1.html - Undoing a Brainwash. A woman "brainwashed" by a charismatic charlatan has to go through a procedure where a psychiatrist tries to undo her "programming". I think it's dumb once you get the full story, but extremely fun with some great twists, and the two lead actresses put in some good work.

Again I'm caveating that you do have to know Chinese to enjoy these, and I'm not sure if there's any effort being made to have English subs. I got a lot of the above through a Chinese fansite at https://fsjz.netlify.app/ where they list out clues for some of the episodes.

if you like documentary style found footage horror you might like Fake Documentary Q too bro spec these two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctmqpxwlLOs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKVq82u_JDc

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Grondoth posted:

Sears left the community that he should be in to enter in to one he really shouldn't be in and it shows

Sears left California, a state with more republicans than many other actual red states, because, "it isn't safe for me to speak my mind anymore" :tinfoil: lmao.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Panfilo posted:

Can't remember if it was the same one but he did an in depth look at JP Sears and they're this term I'm trying to remember about how people can blatantly contradict their own previous values to fit in to their new in group. Sears used to be a New Age guy with more banal and neutral humor then he flipped to being alt right, going from making fun of anti vaxxer hippie types and flat earthers to making fun of people wearing masks and worried about climate change.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/what-is-cult-hopping-nxivm-dos-838750/ this is the source from the joel video

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Panfilo posted:

Can't remember if it was the same one but he did an in depth look at JP Sears and they're this term I'm trying to remember about how people can blatantly contradict their own previous values to fit in to their new in group.

Quisling?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve learned that the zoomers I know all call people chuds but they don’t know it means republicans so they just call bad gamers chuds lol

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
'Chuds' is one of those terminally online terms that's fine to use in forums but gets awkward sounding when people use it out loud in casual conversation, like Mommy Milkers.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

mycophobia posted:

this video was really good, thanks for sharing

I enjoyed the video (it had come up in my recommendations before but I'd avoided clicking it because I didn't know which side it was on and I had a fear it would absolutely poison my algorithm). I think she got a bit too far over her skis in a few places. The rant in the end with a cartoon oversimplification of the hero-culture views of the morons falling for the movie's propaganda (and painting the entire political right as those morons) especially feels like an unforced error. Also, there were a few places where it felt like she was adding caveats to be a good leftist on the internet. (Listing various rights that we as a society need to strengthen to prevent the instability and deprivation that leads to children being exploited and she throws in "religious rights"???)

But honestly, these are extremely tiny nits to pick with what is overall a very insightful video.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

it means cannibalistic humanoid underground dweller. learn the lore

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Panfilo posted:

'Chuds' is one of those terminally online terms that's fine to use in forums but gets awkward sounding when people use it out loud in casual conversation, like Mommy Milkers.

anybody that says either should be killed with coil gun technology

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I don't remember if "mrbeast not being able to leave the house without thinking about how to monetize it" came up in this thread, but this video popped up in my recs and went in a direction I wasn't quite expecting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUwQLhixKdk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Panfilo posted:

mommy milkers is not fine to use op

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if someone irl said "chuds" i would just assume they're politically active online.

if someone irl said "mommy milkers" i would assume they have legal issues related to how close they live to a school.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ghostlight posted:

if someone irl said "chuds" i would just assume they're politically active online.

if someone irl said "mommy milkers" i would assume they have legal issues related to how close they live to a school.

yeah

most people I know offline just refer to republicans as shitheads, assholes, or the uncle who everyone puts up with.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

like I said I was playing some games with my zoomer friends and they kept calling other players chuds and I finally had to ask what it means to them.

They looked it up and they had no idea it meant far right people.

It’s just another version of calling other players “kids” “these kids loving suck.”

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
chud... a fine movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Ghostlight posted:

someone who would say that likely goes TO school