Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Qubee posted:

And to make sure I understood it right, once Paul and the Fremen teamed up, they started wreaking havoc on Hark's spice harvesting operations, because of Paul's knowledge of how Hark's operate? Whereas before this teaming up, the Fremen weren't able to inflict this level of disruption on the harvesting capability?
Exactly. Previously the Fremen were a costly, but manageable nuisance. Through Paul‘s knowledge the small group with Paul and Stilgar managed to mostly grind the Harkonnen spice harvesting to a halt.

quote:

I loving loved this movie drat I want to rewatch it.
I’ve watched it three times and enjoyed it more each time. Very few movies achieve that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

DTurtle posted:

I’ve watched it three times and enjoyed it more each time. Very few movies achieve that.

at least for me, this is the case with all my favorite movies. this one is no exception, and I already loved it on the first viewing

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just watched it last night (released late here) and goddamn what a movie. Goddamnnnnn

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Doltos posted:

Same. Visually stunning, beautiful set design and costume design, terrible choice of actors for a variety of parts.

Ok I will say as much as I loved this movie

1. They made Stilgar a bit of a joke. Like he’s comic relief by the end

2. Zendaya just sounding like a modern American teen took me out of her scenes so much

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
how is stilgar comic relief?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Of course Paul provides valuable inside knowledge of how to disrupt spice harvesting, he's literally just been on the other side of the equation as his father has a headache over how to unfuck the mess the Harkonnens left for them. He just has to think about what would have been most inconvenient for him if he had remained.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I want more Geidi Prime, that whole sequence was the best bit of the movie - so much so that everything that happened after actually felt a little underwhelming.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tankbuster posted:

He’s the funniest part of the movie.

*paul trips over a rock but catches himself*

AS WRITTEN!!!’

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Tankbuster posted:

Dude literally played out a Life of Brian bit in the movie.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, how can you not recognize that he’s the comic relief? I think it works for the film, but that’s absolutely his role.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I think it's just differing definitions of "comic relief"

Some people might take that to mean "one dimensional character there to go "drat that's crazy" and be goofy".

It's clear that Stilgar has a couple of moments that are there to make the audience chuckle (in both movies), and the smash-cut edit in DUNC2 is there to emphasise that. But he's also a much deeper character and a great performance so I can understand people balking at that descriptor.

Lisan al-Ghaib!

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

He has some of the few jokes in a movie thats mostly deadly serious so yeah a little bit of comic relief, but they're near the middle not the end though.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

https://twitter.com/Thatoneguy64/status/1769145447254311408

agreed unfortunately. Walken is obviously a great actor but "Weapon of Choice" aside, an odd pick for this role. The best way I can say it is he's not a sci fi guy. He just can't inhabit a weird planet and act natural.

I can think of several actors who would've done better but my restrospective pick is James Cromwell, aka Uncle Ewan from Succession.

- looks and sounds "imperial". He's 6 freaking 7, and has what I'd call a "severe" tone of voice. And at least for us Americans, an English accent helps us place a "royal" role.

- he's a sci fi guy. Did many bit parts as various aliens on Star Trek. He would understand Dune.

- he's just as old as Walken, but more of a bitter, world weary vibe that you'd expect the emperor of the known universe to have after a long reign.

Walken was fine, his performance fit the Emperor as a character as just a guy who's extremely Done. Literally the first thing his character does on screen is disappoint his daughter by being passive.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Apr 11, 2024

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I didn't mind the Stilgar bits, they weren't over the top or anything, but could have lived with a different take on the character too. Totally agree that Zendaya's accent feels like it's from another film altogether.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I didn't view Stilgar as comic relief, I just viewed him as a typical loony fanatic.

The ending scene in the fundamentalist temple, was Paul scrying into the past and saying information that he should not have been aware of? Like that guy who wanted to fight him, how his grandma got hit in the eyeball with a rock and lost her eyesight?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Qubee posted:

I didn't view Stilgar as comic relief, I just viewed him as a typical loony fanatic.

The ending scene in the fundamentalist temple, was Paul scrying into the past and saying information that he should not have been aware of? Like that guy who wanted to fight him, how his grandma got hit in the eyeball with a rock and lost her eyesight?
Drinking the water of life unlocks the memories of past lives, as they told Jessica when she took it - she'd get the info of all Reverend Mothers before her. Paul also did, and so he knew about the grandma.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I mean Javier Bardem is a hilarious actor also, just doesn’t get much chance to show it. He was very funny but I felt like it undermined the gravitas he had a bit, he does come off as “loony fanatic” or funny guy but he’s also capably leading a band of people living in literal hell

Simply Simon posted:

Drinking the water of life unlocks the memories of past lives, as they told Jessica when she took it - she'd get the info of all Reverend Mothers before her. Paul also did, and so he knew about the grandma.

Also (and part of the reason they call him abomination) he gets memories of both men and women, which nobody alive has ever done before. It’s part of the whole breeding project bloodline thing

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I mean Javier Bardem is a hilarious actor also, just doesn’t get much chance to show it. He was very funny but I felt like it undermined the gravitas he had a bit, he does come off as “loony fanatic” or funny guy but he’s also capably leading a band of people living in literal hell

Also (and part of the reason they call him abomination) he gets memories of both men and women, which nobody alive has ever done before. It’s part of the whole breeding project bloodline thing
1) I think him being super affable and funny (both deliberately - with the scorpion joke - and unintentionally) was a great setup for him being deadly serious about wanting Paul to kill him and then leading fanatics into a genocide later. I think there's lots of people irl who would go "lol at their kooky rituals" about actual fanatics and then go "oh" when said fanatics overthrow a regime and murder thousands, which has happened quite often. I see this similar to how Paul is set up like a typical young hero and then turns out to be Absolutely Not That

2) I wanted to stick to book info so I didn't mention that - I don't think the film gives us the "men too" info?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
stilgar is morpheus to paul's neo. His comic moments at being a grumpy old man is secondary to that. Paul learning to ride the worm starts to make him believe and everything after the fight at sietch tabr is him being rewarded for his faith. The movie literally ends with him leading the way to paradise.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

He gets raptured at the end.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

If you look at Stilgar's journey from Dunc 1 to the end of Dunc 2, then he starts as a super serious, bad rear end Fremen who takes no nonsense from anyone, to someone who is somewhat skeptical of Paul, to someone who starts to believe, to someone who wants to believe, to someone who needs to believe, to someone who believes and then starts to see all the prophecies come true and becomes a fanatic true believer.

Just imagine what it would be like if Jesus really came back to Earth and started building up his 1000 year reign on Earth (please ignore if that is true to the Bible, there are people who believe it). How do you think people who believe that would react? That is what Stilgar's journey with regards to Paul represents.

And they manage to make it parts of that journey funny. And then start driving home the consequences of that belief.

It was amazing to see the reaction of most everyone watching the end of the movie. How quickly the mood shifted in the theater from triumphant elation over Paul defeating Feyd-Rautha, to the stunned reaction to Paul marrying Irulan and starting the Holy War. It feels a bit like the "Are we the baddies?" skit. You can really see and feel the gears in the heads of the audience turning trying to work in what happened in those last few minutes.

It's such an insanely well done shift in the mood.

Qubee posted:

The movie didn't explain it too deeply, but my interpretation is that Paul is pretty omniscient. He knew the history of that guy, but he also knew what was going through the head of the one leader (who told Chani to get out and tried to stop Paul from talking).

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Apr 11, 2024

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

it could be ancestral knowledge or mind reading (both of which jessica is demonstrated to have access to), but paul can also see the future. so it's possible he just said the combination of words which would lead to those dudes bowing to him.

the powers granted by spice/water of life are deliberately ill-defined, even moreso in the films than the books. it's one of the things that works to make paul/jessica seem more alien and sinister. audiences have been conditioned by the likes of star wars for the fantasy/sci-fi characters to have cool, well-defined super powers to support their characterization as the hero. the subversion in dunc is that you don't really know what paul is capable of.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DTurtle posted:

It's such an insanely well done shift in the mood.

Everything from feyd dying to the ships blasting off is such a great build up. "Send them to paradise" is pretty metal.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

kalel posted:

it could be ancestral knowledge or mind reading (both of which jessica is demonstrated to have access to), but paul can also see the future. so it's possible he just said the combination of words which would lead to those dudes bowing to him.

the powers granted by spice/water of life are deliberately ill-defined, even moreso in the films than the books. it's one of the things that works to make paul/jessica seem more alien and sinister. audiences have been conditioned by the likes of star wars for the fantasy/sci-fi characters to have cool, well-defined super powers to support their characterization as the hero. the subversion in dunc is that you don't really know what paul is capable of.

It must be a living hell to occupy the present moment in such a condition. you have an immense library of knowledge that enables you to extrapolate anything, but you also don't really need to do that because you also have access to any possible future where you might have to make use of that knowledge, so you know a thing from two directions.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Simply Simon posted:

1) I think him being super affable and funny (both deliberately - with the scorpion joke - and unintentionally) was a great setup for him being deadly serious about wanting Paul to kill him and then leading fanatics into a genocide later. I think there's lots of people irl who would go "lol at their kooky rituals" about actual fanatics and then go "oh" when said fanatics overthrow a regime and murder thousands, which has happened quite often. I see this similar to how Paul is set up like a typical young hero and then turns out to be Absolutely Not That

2) I wanted to stick to book info so I didn't mention that - I don't think the film gives us the "men too" info?

It shows the faces of men which I suppose could be inferred a bit, but yeah they don’t say it explicitly. We don’t know if the memory of Harkonnen is from the baron or Jessica

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Morpheus believes neo is the one but he also tries to bring it out of him so he himself can believe it.

“He’s beginning to believe”

Where’s Stilgar is on that hype train and don’t give a poo poo.

“Ah im not the mahdi.”

“Ahh just what the mahdi would say! As written!!!!”

It’s hilarious

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lol that apparently Bene Gesserit training explicitly includes 'how to turn your wimpy son into a warlord with one weird trick, this prophecy we prepared earlier'

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
I cracked up when he said the "small centipedes" were dangerous and held his hands two feet apart, and when he cruised by on the worm yelling. love my Stilgar

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Simply Simon posted:

This version of stilgar also sets up either Paul Atreides or Alia complaining about Stilgar becoming a creature of Muad'dib, a religious true believer through and through (in dune Messiah i think?)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lol that apparently Bene Gesserit training explicitly includes 'how to turn your wimpy son into a warlord with one weird trick, this prophecy we prepared earlier'

Helps if theyve been trained in leadership since birth, are human supercomputers, BJJ masters, and the product of millenia of inbreeding to produce psychic powers

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I've never read the books but I remember stumbling across the fact that Paul eventually becomes an inhuman blob-like creature, I wonder how the movies are gonna handle that

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Qubee posted:

I've never read the books but I remember stumbling across the fact that Paul eventually becomes an inhuman blob-like creature, I wonder how the movies are gonna handle that

that’s book 4, messiah is book 2

and that’s not paul.

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Leto II Did Nothing Wrong

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Internet Savant posted:

This version of stilgar also sets up either Paul Atreides or Alia complaining about Stilgar becoming a creature of Muad'dib, a religious true believer through and through (in dune Messiah i think?)
Yeah, but don't call him a cuck or he'll fuckin' stab you.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

John DiFool posted:

Leto II Did Nothing Wrong

That's right

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I appreciate that Stilgar is funny because he is a funny person and not because he's doing quips and waggling his eyebrows at the camera.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Supposedly the IMAX screenings are extended starting April 19? But there's no theaters around me that have it :(

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Supposedly the IMAX screenings are extended starting April 19? But there's no theaters around me that have it :(

I think it's limited to the top 20 cities based on the number of screenings or revenue during the initial run?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

distortion park posted:

I didn't mind the Stilgar bits, they weren't over the top or anything, but could have lived with a different take on the character too. Totally agree that Zendaya's accent feels like it's from another film altogether.

Yeah I don't think Zendaya is a bad actress it's just that there were multiple moments in that film where it felt like the characters were talking in accents you'd hear in present day rather than some far flung future desert planet. Same with Florence Pugh.

I also don't think Chalamet's smoldering, quiet delivery that he does in most films works as a warleader. When he was trying to put edge in his voice for the big Fremen meet up it sounded like Christian Bale doing his angry batman voice.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zendaya is a good movie star and a poor actress

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Monica Bellucci posted:

The Holy War is happening whether he wants it or not.

Eh I dunno about that, he could have the guild keep them on arrakis and rule from Caladan if he wanted to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Blood Boils posted:

Eh I dunno about that, he could have the guild keep them on arrakis and rule from Caladan if he wanted to
He already told the Fremen that they can have the galaxy by its balls by threatening to withhold spice from it. The guild would fold immediately to the Fremen doing this and ferry them wherever, perhaps first to Caladan for some stern words with their Messiah who must have just gotten confused a little, right?