Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I am glad that there are a lot of supportive people in the thread. Does anyone know what we can do in practicalities to help people suffering from this, is their a pressure group or organisation specifically helping out or setting up opposition to this poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Jakabite posted:

Hi mfcrocker! I hope you come back more permanently, I remember always enjoying your posts when you were in here more regularly.

Hey thanks! It's pretty unlikely given we're about to replace one transphobic government with another, but I pop in from time to time

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Ok. So no posts then. Just a general vibe

I'm a loving moron for engaging with this, but look, if a dozen trans people are telling you that he's being transphobic then maybe before you wade in with a "well actually..." maybe consider that they know more on the issue because they have to? Because it's not you or me whose right to exist is being questioned.

And failing an ability to consider that, just go away. Either you're a WUM trying to get a reaction from people who face threats of violence and harassment for simply daring to be themselves, in which case you are scum, or you're a cretin who refuses to learn. And it's tedious trying to have a conversation with someone who refuses to learn or even just see things from somebody else's perspective.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Report from my first Unison conference - actually really interesting and engaging for me as a visitor! Some branches, especially those in Northern Ireland, have achived great things. It makes me want to do a better job in my branch, which I have wanted to do ever since I joined a couple years ago but being mental/disorganised/stressed makes that difficult.

What I didn't know until the first day was that Wes Streeting was originally invited to do a speech on the second day. What I also soon found out was that he had pulled out due to a "diary clash". There were a couple of (very brave imo) trans women who went up to give speeches in front of the conference publicly excoriating him for his public statements (and to a lesser extent the Unison service group which invited him). Additionally, multiple speakers emphasised that under no illusions would a Labour government would automatically mean more funding and better conditions for NHS workers (again, the McShitter was named and shamed here), so it's nice to know complacency is not encouraged in that regard. All these positions were very well received by the delegation. It was really nice seeing so many openly gender non-conforming members being present and heard with no issue. The gensec Christine McAnea also explicitly named transphobia as something Unison stood against (though we know talk is cheap, obviously).

I attended an event talking about administrators' role in digitalisation - i.e. is someone like me actually going to get a fiddle with a new Hospital Information System before some Band 9000 dickhead decides to sign off on buying it for a hundred million or whatever. Obviously user interfaces are one thing, but I did enquire as to how feasible it would be to have a team of national/regional Unison people who have some technical expertise and could actually sit in on the procurement process. I spoke to multiple people involved with such things, with me asking "I get the feeling it's decided by whoever shows the shiniest powerpoint and picks the nicest restaurant" and them responding "well, it's not SUPPOSED to, but also. yeah. that does happen a lot."

You can read some of the research here - it compared the UK and Norway, in health, banking, retail and food/drink processing industries. There are short summaries for full papers. I haven't looked closely yet, myself.
https://udig.powi.dmu.ac.uk/

Unison have also launched something called the "Admin Charter" with the intent of getting NHS Trusts to sign, which among other things asks them to commit to giving admin clear career progression (about half surveyed don't have a personal development plan!) and consulting them before implementing new technical changes. Personally, I feel the level of first-line tech support we have to do means we should be given clearer pathways into fields like software engineering or something.

There was a guest speech by Richard Pyle from Medical Aid for Palestine. I'll admit I've sort of tried to avoid reading about the specific horrors suffered by people in Gaza - hearing his report about what was happening down there right now, the unbelievable pain and loss and trauma.... you could feel it grip the soul of everyone in the auditorium. Unforgiveable atrocities and cowardice from everyone who's enabled it. There was a specific motion about healthcare workers in Palestine which the Standing Order Committee ruled out of order (for vague reasons) - this did not stop people discussing it in other motions, however.

I attended a racial bullying & harassment workshop which was actually run by a couple of Unison members in a neighbouring Trust who I intend to contact about how they run their whole joint (because we really aren't running poo poo right now lol). They'd achieved great things iin terms of accountability processes which was helped by them having the ear of certain directors and HR figures. Unfortunately my Trust does not have a functioning HR department lol.

The workshop also featured a very humble gentleman from a Scottish Trust, who opened by saying a couple years ago he would have thought UK racism was primarily an English problem, and that Scotland was more progressive than that, before his experience in the last two years disabused him of this notion. It seems to be a complete loving wild west out there in terms of companies getting license to recruit healthcare workers from abroad, and multiple situations where they arrive in the UK after great personal expense, only to be told that they do not have a job. The precarity that migrant workers are subjected to is oft-spoken of, but to hear the examples of racism, callousness, neglect was stomach-churning. The man look fairly loving drained just by talking about it and I have a great deal of respect for him. He had apparently become The Go-To Guy for migrant workers in his region with issues, despite he himself saying he does not feel he has the expertise to do so, and that he often feels out of his depth, though he forges on regardless. Audience members rightfully asked why aren't Unison building a regional team about this, but I don't recall any clear answers about that. I hope he and everyone he's been supporting do get more resources.

Also during the party (which was mid but I had a great time hitting a bar with some gay lads after - made a strong case for me going to the LGBT conference in November) I briefly was introduced to Sara Gorton, the lead negotiator for the recent paydeal, because my branch secretary happened to know her from way back lol. I did not say much (primarily because I was pished).

If you're even sort of active in your union branch, and you have the opportunity to go to a conference, I would really recommend it regardless of how you actually feel about your union as a whole. It's very affirming as a leftist to be surrounded by people who are eager to affect change in their workplaces and indeed the country as a whole. I don't consider myself the most social of people, but I felt relatively at ease striking up conversations with random people just by being in the same room as them.

Anyway! Sorry if this much-longer-than-intended wall of text has errors or typos in it but I am nursing a mild hangover. I'm sure there's something I forgot to add. Feel free to ask me any questions!

but finally, and most importantly: Bagelman in Brighton is so loving good dude. A++++ gluten-free bagel which they prepared in a separate area for me. It made me say "gently caress" in front of children in the shop.

On a more positive note, I'd like to say I really enjoyed this post. It was encouraging.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Nuclear Spoon posted:

Report from my first Unison conference...

This was a great post. Enjoyed it immensely despite all the other poo poo in this thread when I logged on this morning.

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns

mfcrocker posted:

It's tough, but it's always useful to remember that the actual TERF population is pretty drat low. It's just that a bunch of them happen to have national newspaper columns, or are editors of said newspapers.

Proper TERFs absolutely, but it keeps making national news so much it seems that little bits of it just seep into more people's brains it seems from what I've seen. Probably a bit of culture war bullshit mixed in as well, so I just seem to find more and more people that seems to have picked up the whole "Why do they have to keep pushing this into everything?" line which makes them just vaguely negative to various LGBTQ groups, and I just wanna shake them and scream "Because if you can just consider it normal you wouldn't think it was being pushed!"

It all feels very exhausting, but also seems a bit silly that I feel that way considering I'm not the one personally affected by it.

forkboy84 posted:

I'm a loving moron for engaging with this, but look, if a dozen trans people are telling you that he's being transphobic then maybe before you wade in with a "well actually..." maybe consider that they know more on the issue because they have to? Because it's not you or me whose right to exist is being questioned.

Absolutely this, when a whole thread, full of people personally affected by what that turd says, turns on you for a dumbass post, use some loving introspection.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I just hope that at some point we will have Rosena Allin-Khan as health secretary. Hey someone brought up that Unison post thing.

As a Band 9000 type when it comes to IT procurement some parts can be quite rigid, and it depends on how you score things in order to get a good response. I personally like to dip costs to quite a low scoring and quality / functional fit higher with the ability to trial systems without contractual onboarding.

Crown Commercial procurement is a bitch but if you do need some assistance on anything give me a yell on PM and can share a couple of things.

I would like to get more involved in union stuff but feel not my place so vibe along unless it’s done thing I can help with.

Starbucks fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Apr 11, 2024

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

if a dozen trans people are telling you that he's being transphobic then maybe before you wade in with a "well actually..." maybe consider that they know more on the issue because they have to?

Skinner meme: no, it's the trans goons who are wrong

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Josef bugman posted:

I am glad that there are a lot of supportive people in the thread. Does anyone know what we can do in practicalities to help people suffering from this, is their a pressure group or organisation specifically helping out or setting up opposition to this poo poo?

Off the top of my head and things that aren't like "your local queer bookshop probably has a bunch of stuff", Good Law Project amongst other things does some good work trying to challenge the legal/political system. As does Gendered Intelligence.

And if your access to healthcare has been shut off, hrtcafe.net exists

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Jesus Christ I recommended ignore because people were vocally distressed at having to read his continual posting, as a stopgap measure. I also put in a report last night where I asked the D&D mods to do something about the situation and I *also* argued with 99 in the thread and shouted down his poo poo to the best of my ability. Reacting to me as if I just came in and went 'ignore the bully and he will go away' and then swanned off is kind of upsetting tbh.

As others pointed out I don't have mod powers in this subforum and I don't have a history of going 'just ignore them lol' when it comes to this sort of thing.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Trying posted:

the uk is old. very old. it explains much

Not as true as it once was, at the next election Millennials will hold sway.

Our reign of terror begins now.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

HopperUK posted:

Jesus Christ I recommended ignore because people were vocally distressed at having to read his continual posting, as a stopgap measure. I also put in a report last night where I asked the D&D mods to do something about the situation and I *also* argued with 99 in the thread and shouted down his poo poo to the best of my ability. Reacting to me as if I just came in and went 'ignore the bully and he will go away' and then swanned off is kind of upsetting tbh.

As others pointed out I don't have mod powers in this subforum and I don't have a history of going 'just ignore them lol' when it comes to this sort of thing.

Yeah that's fair and entirely my bad

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

notaspy posted:

I have unfortunate news about how old early millennials are now

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Trying posted:

turn on my monitor

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

notaspy posted:

The Forced Feminisation will commence with haste.

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns

HopperUK posted:

I think you're ok Hopper, thread just running hot probably! Let's all just agree that the only good thing about this whole thing is some lurkers coming out of the woodwork because we support our trans brothers and sisters.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Just posting to add solidarity, and while this probably isn't the right post to piggyback off of, the goon fund is out there giving support to all who need it, but it needs everyone's support to keep doing so.

Goon fund payment details posted:

Hello, Friend!
Thank you so much for your interest in donating to the UKMT Solidarity Fund, you're awesome.
First I have to make sure you're aware the UKMTSF is not a charity (yet!), so you won't be able to claim Gift Aid on your donations.
To make a donation directly to the fund account, you can either set up a standing order or make a one-time payment to the following account:
Bank: Nationwide
Sort Code: 07-16-60
Account Number: 63158654
Account Holder: Daniel Sparks
If you would like to send a CHAPS payment, please use the IBAN GB97NAIA07009333333334 and quote 63158654 as the reference.
If you have any issues, don't hesitate to reach out and I'll get back to you as soon as I can:
SA: IrvingWashington
Discord: Bill Drummond
email: ops@ukmt.fund

And although SA does not in anyway condone or reward transactions to bodies that are not yet charities, this extremely untimely image joke was graciously fed into the system by josh04 if anyone wants to say they donated and I'll send a list through to a mod.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Right hopefully that will make the thread a bit more readable for the next six hours, if I can do it unilaterally I want this to be a formal threadban. I'm working in an asbestos enclosure soon so won't be available for a little while.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Trying posted:

I work in the trades and basically everyone I interact with in the industry in the elder millennial bracket is all-in on rishi's wild ride

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kecske posted:

I work in the trades and basically everyone I interact with in the industry in the elder millennial bracket is all-in on rishi's wild ride

So many people I know still think Millenials are 18-25 yo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I'm working in an asbestos enclosure soon so won't be available for a little while.

nice try bicth but that won't stop me from flaming you

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Why not?

Like I don't think that should be necessary anyway.

Have you considered not being 'an idiot troll oval office'?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Right hopefully that will make the thread a bit more readable for the next six hours, if I can do it unilaterally I want this to be a formal threadban. I'm working in an asbestos enclosure soon so won't be available for a little while.

Hopefully you will be sufficiently insulated from the hot takes itt

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, if it's like the mods are saying and IKs are the law of the land then yeah, I think you basically can do this unilaterally

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

So many people I know still think Millenials are 18-25 yo.

everyone under 40 falls under the umbrella of 'this new generation'

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Lurkers, rise up, post more.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I stay the same age, they just keep making larger children

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

kecske posted:

everyone under 40 falls under the umbrella of 'this new generation'

drat, only a few more months until I leave the new generation :(

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Thread having a normal one today.
Solidarity with our trans brothers and sisters, but I don't think getting mad at nj for posting about an interview is the right answer.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DreddyMatt posted:

Solidarity with our trans brothers and sisters, but I don't think getting mad at nj for posting about an interview is the right answer.

Solidarity probably doesn't look like telling your trans siblings whether to get mad or not

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DreddyMatt posted:

Lmao solidarity with those being oppressed but like, also get hosed?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

mfcrocker posted:

I mean, if it's like the mods are saying and IKs are the law of the land then yeah, I think you basically can do this unilaterally

njan9 relegated to furiously posting in the hours while owl is asleep before the probe hammer comes down again

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

young adults are legitimately terrifyingly tall now, nutrition science has marched on to the point where I am now in effect one of those tiny weatherbeaten factory workers from the Victorian age, it’s cool

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

mfcrocker posted:

Solidarity probably doesn't look like telling your trans siblings whether to get mad or not

Sorry, maybe I missed something. I thought it was Wes streeting being interviewed by Harry Cole, I didn't realise it was forums poster njan.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DreddyMatt posted:

Sorry, maybe I missed something. I thought it was Wes streeting being interviewed by Harry Cole, I didn't realise it was forums pretty njan.

You might have missed it with your poor reading comprehension, but people are plenty mad at Wes Streeting. They're also mad at people trying to downplay the transphobia of Wes Streeting.

tldr gently caress off out of here too

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns

keep punching joe posted:

Lurkers, rise up, post more.

No, I will never post!

DreddyMatt posted:

lmao if you're gonna go with 99 was just 'posting about an interview'

dadrips
Jan 8, 2010

everything you do is a balloon
College Slice

Jim Murphy was also NUS leader before becoming an MP, so it's got an established track record of producing some absolutely cracking Labour politicians

For those who don't remember - Jim Murphy was Scottish Labour leader for a total of six months before leading them into their electoral wipeout of 2015. He's also notable for being involved with the Henry Jackson Society who are a bunch of right wing yank nutters who want to nuke the middle east

Richybird
Apr 12, 2007
hi im rich
Dreddymatt can go gently caress themselves also

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Tesseraction posted:

njan9 relegated to furiously posting in the hours while owl is asleep before the probe hammer comes down again

reaching a mutual agreement with the IKs of auspol to ensure round-the-clock 6ers of each others trolls. this wouldn't have been possible before brexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Wanted to drop in again and say thank you to everyone who gave me advice last month. I’ve got my uncle’s possessions now, including the family violin. My mum and I appreciate it.

Now to go get lost in Manchester for another two days.