Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

So Harley is just an inmate now? Seems like a pretty big change to her character.

I know this is a what if series, so they can do whatever, but if she’s an inmate and not a psychologist, she’s not really Harley anymore, she’s just random woman who likes Joker. But whatever.

Harley has been both psychiatrist and inmate. No reason she can't have been one before.

It does mean she isn't corrupted and broken by the Joker in the same way but, uh, clearly not what they're going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I am more than fine with them dropping the whole "Joker gaslit and abused Harley to drive her insane" aspect of their backstory for something new.

Feels a bit less iffy having Harley be a mental health professional who struggles with her own mental illness and considers herself "through the looking glass" once she finds a like-minded person and they fall into a spiral of enabling each others psychosis.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah who could care about the lore when they've told a million different stupid (all extremely tedious because seriously who gives a gently caress about the Joker or Batman or Spiderman at this point unless you're like 12 and fresh without like 15 movie adaptations and 3 billion comics) stories about these characters in different universes.
I'm more turned off by it being a jukebox musical.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I noped out of that trailer the second there was a stage and they were dancing. Not for me

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The first one had such awful politics. Also The King of Comedy is much much better so just watch that instead.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Joaquin's gotta learn some new tricks at some point, kinda feel like every big performance he's done since The Master has just been a less interesting version of his performance in The Master

edit: actually Beau is Afraid was pretty fun

Also this.

edit: I also want to say that the first Joker and this one both have great trailers. Shame about the films though.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 10, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
One thing I love about this dead husk of an internet is the apparent need to automate dipshits. These guys are supposed to be a natural resource!!

I also like that we've gone from "every frame a photograph" to "every frame a screensaver". Didn't even know people still used those.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I go months without even seeing my background much less the screen saver

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
is it really a screensaver if its a still image

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Jokerlaughing.scr

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I use the 3D maze screensaver but every wall of the maze is a frame from Suicide Squad

gregday
May 23, 2003

The Joker is disturbing because he laughs at the things that make other people cry.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watching the Joker face bounce around my screen until it hits the corner dead on.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

gregday posted:

The Joker is disturbing because he laughs at the things that make other people cry.

Same things make us laugh, make us cry. If you read the book, that's the way of the world, baby.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Watching the Joker face bounce around my screen until it hits the corner dead on.

Driven to insanity and crime because it never does

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

“This movie seems like a screensaver” sounds more like an insult to me. Like you don’t watch it, you just run it on an unused monitor.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Laugh and the world laughs with you; weep, and you weep alone.

- Oldboy (1883)

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Jewmanji posted:

The first one had such awful politics. Also The King of Comedy is much much better so just watch that instead.

Also this.

edit: I also want to say that the first Joker and this one both have great trailers. Shame about the films though.

What do you think the politics of the first film were? I took it as neglecting and abusing the mentally ill by the rich and powerful will result in violence which is bad for society.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Apr 11, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

And the need for free meds bc meds are important

Lobster Henry
Jul 10, 2012

studious as a butterfly in a parking lot
How many Best Actor/Actress-winning performances have been followed up with sequels? That’s gotta be quite rare, right?

lol again that Joaquin won for joker. We gotta do better!!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Is lady gaga a good actor? I never saw those

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Is lady gaga a good actor? I never saw those

shes fine

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
I loved her in her 5 seconds on Sopranos.

Anyway especially with it being a musical, I could imagine she fits pretty well.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Why does Civil War not have a thread but Madam Web does.

I'm sure the discussion will be civil.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

Comstar posted:

Triticum Guzzler posted:

If you actually legitimately care about film, there is a good chance you do not post about it on this web site, because if you look at the movie forum (or the book forum, etc) you see that largely there's an incredible fixation on really childish products (and they are usually products rather than films) with a corresponding lack of taste. I'm sure it's an idea that's unfamiliar to you, as a grown man who wants to surgically replace his dick and balls with a coin operated motorised Donald Duck ride who is about 3 wispy chin hairs away from being a convicted rapist,

etc

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Comstar posted:

If you want a thread and don't see one, make one. It's not like it's hard.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People bring it up in the mega threads too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Prob because Madame Web's promotional cycle was hilarious. And Civil War mostly people are waiting to see it before having a take.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shageletic posted:

And Civil War mostly people are waiting to see it before having a take.

"The Movie You Can't Wait to Hate!"

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Prob because Madame Web's promotional cycle was hilarious. And Civil War mostly people are waiting to see it before having a take.

0 evidence of this being the case in most threads here

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

If you want a thread and don't see one, make one. It's not like it's hard.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shageletic posted:

Prob because Madame Web's promotional cycle was hilarious.

to be fair, the Civil War promotional cycle has been pretty funny too

https://twitter.com/A24/status/1778105939632996358

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

ghostwritingduck posted:

What do you think the politics of the first film were? I took it as neglecting and abusing the mentally ill by the rich and powerful will result in violence which is bad for society.

Part of it is this assumption that people who are struggling with mental illness have a greater propensity for violence than any other demographic which is a pretty harmful stereotype. I haven't seen the movie since it came out so I can't remember this very clearly but I remember having the distinct impression that the riot at the end was supposed to somehow be evocative of Occupy Wall Street in a way that colored leftists as violent and anarchic in the same way that Fox likes to depict the George Floyd protests.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Lmao the run time on the back

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
anyway i did the thing, knock yourselves out
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4058322

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

When the real civil war comes this will be a great T shirt to get shot in

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

When the real civil war comes this will be a great T shirt to shoot at

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Being a fan of a specific production company is weird.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Except Mosfilm and maybe Golden Harvest imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

and Toho and Daei and Hammer