Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

haddedam posted:

I was hoping sts 2 to have better art but they're still using the same programmer for everything.
It's okay, they're a tiny indie dev living hand to mouth from the 1,5million sales they got. They need every penny just to survive and I guess art courses or practise is too expensive.

you're right. their art programmer should probably be shot (e: with a "nerf gun" in "minecraft")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
STS with worse art is just monster train

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only good dreckbuilder is Balatro

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

STS's art is great. It's got flavor, it's got panache it doesn't matter if it isn't technically good if it has those

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

STS with worse art is just monster train

They traded art for actually enjoyable gameplay.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
STS with worse art is just not possible

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Foul Fowl posted:

STS with worse art is just not possible

Rimworld.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
it's a great game. but it looks like poo poo. dogshit; from a dog's rear end.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
That's cruelty squad and it is one of the best looking games since it was what he was going for and he pulled it off.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

haddedam posted:

Rimworld.

well. you got me there.

e: cruelty squad is one of my favourite games but that's a whole different thing. though it does make me wonder what a card based game that deliberately tried to obfuscate its mechanics with hosed up horrible graphics would be like. it sounds kind of cool.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The only game with real dogshit art is Okami because you can make the dog take a poo poo and someone had to make the assets for that

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Just two trophies away from platinuming Bloodborne. I just need to kill the queen in the chalice dungeon and do the ending where I chill with the Moonbeast. God drat this game is so good. Also apparently I've logged 350 hours with it lol

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Foul Fowl posted:

well. you got me there.

e: cruelty squad is one of my favourite games but that's a whole different thing. though it does make me wonder what a card based game that deliberately tried to obfuscate its mechanics with hosed up horrible graphics would be like. it sounds kind of cool.

I mean I know a few programmer art card games that are in playtesting, you can find many on itch.io

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

haddedam posted:

I mean I know a few programmer art card games that are in playtesting, you can find many on itch.io

i need to be a precisely calibrated and delicately ordained kind of horribleness. like some goon said about cruelty squad; the dev put in a ton of effort to make a great game, and then put in twice as much effort to make the game look like a shitpost. that's the kind of card game i want.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Sold.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

the ugliest game of them all, Dwarf Fortress, is also one of the best. weird how that works

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Why are you guys hating on STS's art so much? It's not bad :confused:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just finished my new card game a couple hours ago. I think slay the spire is the better game but my cards are pretty.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

tbh everyone talks about slay the spire or whatever. the best roguelike deckbuilder is Hand of Fate 2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

All of these fuckin kind of games blend together for me so it's very funny that they had a whole trailer event filled with nothing but them

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I maxed out ascension in Monster Train, but most of the expert challenges were a bit too extreme for me. Balatro's really good but I'm using the upcoming patch as motivator to not just burn all my free time playing it over n' over. Cobalt Core is really fun and also has a neat story.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Quackles posted:

tbh everyone talks about slay the spire or whatever. the best roguelike deckbuilder is Hand of Fate 2

i've not thought about that game in a while. It's really good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

All of these fuckin kind of games blend together for me so it's very funny that they had a whole trailer event filled with nothing but them

Ohhh I was wondering why I got a sudden rush of new games Poppin up all at once. Thought it was just springtime for rogueadjacents lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vermain posted:

part of StS's charm is that it's got a low rent "indie studio trying their best" art style, and the sequel having something more overproduced like a mobile gacha title or some kind of polished cel shaded style would take away a lot of that

it does look like they're adding additional flair here and there, like the silence is doing a hitstun animation in one of the screenshots, and the larger scale of the shop sprites makes it clear they're not merely sitting on their laurels in terms of art

Yeah I liked Slay the Spires style and also lol at calling that "programmer art"

On the other hand, the Monster Train studio's style is exactly that mobile gacha vibe and it pushes the brain button that makes me recoil by a mile, I had to stop playing it because I thought it was too ugly. I know people are excited by their new game but I saw one frame of it and thought "ugh no thanks"

Edit: lol beaten on dunking on monster train

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Ugly artstyle, great game quadrant (Case of the Golden Idol)
Great artstyle, bad game quadrant (Final Fantasy XIII Fabula Nova Crystallis)
Great artstyle, great game quadrant (Disco Elysium)
Ugly artstyle, bad game quadrant (your favorite game here)

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I hate Brotato's hideous rear end Newgrounds flash anim art, looks horrible. Really fun game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Game needs an option to skip through the blind wrapup screen but otherwise good

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saint Freak posted:

Ugly artstyle, great game quadrant (Case of the Golden Idol)
Great artstyle, bad game quadrant (Final Fantasy XIII Fabula Nova Crystallis)
Great artstyle, great game quadrant (Disco Elysium)
Ugly artstyle, bad game quadrant (your favorite game here)

Play Dragon's Dogma instead of any of this

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I like Case of the Golden Idol's gross rear end art style lol

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

Hmm, so we'll need to add in some kind of Jank Axis on the Z plane.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

no

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I hate Brotato's hideous rear end Newgrounds flash anim art, looks horrible. Really fun game

Brotato looks bad but I'll take it over Binding of Isaac any day.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh, Brotato is another game, I thought you were misspelling Balatro in a funny way

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Brotato, Balatro
Let's call the whole thing off

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

verbal enema posted:

sts but with Hylics gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Are there any threads on this site where I can make fun of gamers crying that videogame women aren't sexy enough?