Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Necrothatcher posted:

Also, after like 200 hours across two games I have absolutely no idea wtf Sephiroth wants to do.

Sephiroth, like most people in this game, wants to gently caress Cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Necrothatcher posted:

If they'd actually made a choice it would at least have been a relatable moment for players - if she dies we get a similar sense of loss and grief as the original and if she lives we get to feel like we've beaten back fate. Going with some weird multiversal ghost overlapping realities thing is barely comprehensible bullshit that nobody can possibly relate to on an emotional level.

i thought the ending was really really sad and it made me cry harder than the original game

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

also aerith came back as a ghost in the original game too, it was kinda a pivotal thing

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I just fought Rufus again as I’m wandering through the game so my wife can see it, and once I realized I had to queue up Focused Thrust before I saw “Reload” and not when I saw it, that chump went down like a chump. It actually became a really fun fight, with a shitshow scramble when the dog came in but I was able to pull it out.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Augus posted:

i thought the ending was really really sad and it made me cry harder than the original game
Yeah as much as I love the OG game, the combo of the fakeout of saving Aerith and how absolutely loving NUTS Cloud is acting afterwards just destroyed me.

I'm sure people have pointed this out here, but I love how he's the only one to go into the final battle without his Limit Gauge fully charged.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Raxivace posted:

Yeah as much as I love the OG game, the combo of the fakeout of saving Aerith and how absolutely loving NUTS Cloud is acting afterwards just destroyed me.

I'm sure people have pointed this out here, but I love how he's the only one to go into the final battle without his Limit Gauge fully charged.

Yeah, it really drives home Cloud does not get it. Everyone else is loving pissed and Cloud isn't.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
spare a thought for someone who definitely made a whole theory video out of this stuff before the patch

https://twitter.com/Elchit9/status/1778390149103010251

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Wondering about the implications of the mako running dry in the Biggs reactor timeline. Is that just a timeline where the mako ran out, or is the mako dry in every apocalypse sky timeline? Is this because these alternate timelines exist within the lifestream somehow (see that brief connection in the Gi boat)?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The mako is dry because they’re already in the mako. Makes u think

(No really I think that might have something to do with it.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You know, is it me, or is Heidegger kind of getting the best showing (in terms of like, being least terrible) of the non-Reeve Shinra Gang?

Hojo is loving Hojo
Scarlet has been a reoccurring boss and terrible person
Palmer tried to kill you in a giant robot.
Heidegger has been an absolute poo poo, don't get me wrong, but he also like genuinely tried to save Rufus' life in a way that seems bizarrely self-sacrificing compared to his allies.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Heidegger is a bastard, but he seems like a true believer.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Heidegger's having the time of his life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpaGO1K1HS4

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Look, Palmer was having a really poo poo vacation even if he was trying his best not to blow up at anybody about it until he lost his bird race.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Heidegger just wants to kill people. He doesn't want to do paperwork. As a result, it is essential that he not get promoted any further.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

This game seems to have leaned into him and Scarlet having weird but distinct laughs, the Gyahaha vs Kyahaha.

Another way these games rule.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

ImpAtom posted:

You know, is it me, or is Heidegger kind of getting the best showing (in terms of like, being least terrible) of the non-Reeve Shinra Gang?

Hojo is loving Hojo
Scarlet has been a reoccurring boss and terrible person
Palmer tried to kill you in a giant robot.
Heidegger has been an absolute poo poo, don't get me wrong, but he also like genuinely tried to save Rufus' life in a way that seems bizarrely self-sacrificing compared to his allies.

Not at all, imo. Scarlet is remarkably competent, she's just a bad person. But she's very good at what she does, far more so than the original game! Heidegger's only actual virtue is his relative physical courage; he's not afraid of getting hurt. But he's never really gotten a chance to show his stuff in any practical way; he's a terrible leader whose plans basically never work out.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
She can also fire off an entire assault rifle magazine from the hip and control the recoil fully, yet also almost completely miss her target.
A woman of many talents

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Scarlet is sort of competent if you choose not to hold things like "deliberately puts herself in positions where by rights she ought to die" against her on the grounds that she can't actually die until disc 3.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Jetrauben posted:

Not at all, imo. Scarlet is remarkably competent, she's just a bad person. But she's very good at what she does, far more so than the original game! Heidegger's only actual virtue is his relative physical courage; he's not afraid of getting hurt. But he's never really gotten a chance to show his stuff in any practical way; he's a terrible leader whose plans basically never work out.

I dunno, he has Avalanche playing to Shinra's script through part 1. I mean he doesn't succeed in killing them exactly but he gets his inside job 9/11 done so he can have a war he can crime in.

Scarlet is fairly competent but she still loses her fights and has to run off, and also her plan to catch a WEAPON seemed to have been trying to pull it out of the lifestream with a crane like a UFO catcher.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Either Scarlet is insanely competent because she can pilot complex mech prototypes, or the designer of said mechs is the insanely talented one by making them so fluidly intuitive that even a sadistic C suite exec can pilot them out of the box

I personally think its the latter, but we never get to meet any of the quietly talented Shinra engineers that frankly work miracles with technology that everyone else seems to take for granted

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sure okay posted:

Either Scarlet is insanely competent because she can pilot complex mech prototypes, or the designer of said mechs is the insanely talented one by making them so fluidly intuitive that even a sadistic C suite exec can pilot them out of the box

I personally think its the latter, but we never get to meet any of the quietly talented Shinra engineers that frankly work miracles with technology that everyone else seems to take for granted

Scarlet is the one who designed her own mechs. This was true even back in FF7 classic. (The Proudclad/Proud Clod is her 'greatest creation')

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Taking credit for someone elses work is definitely something that stretches my suspense of disbelief less than the idea that she's deep in prod development drafting AutoCad schematics

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Palmer demonstrates quite aptly what happens when someone unqualified tries to pilot a Shinra mech

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Palmer shows many shades of idiot. He throws a tantrum over superficial things like a chocobo race and his hotel room. He also fails to read the room during the board meeting by saying "well of course they hate us, were the baddies!"

Scarlet is not an idiot. She throws temper tantrums too but she stays focused on the job and doesnt get caught up in stupid stuff.

Is she "prototype mech designer" smart? Thats a bridge too far for me, but I will buy that she's just naturally better at piloting them than the rest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

sure okay posted:

Palmer shows many shades of idiot. He throws a tantrum over superficial things like a chocobo race and his hotel room. He also fails to read the room during the board meeting by saying "well of course they hate us, were the baddies!"

Scarlet is not an idiot. She throws temper tantrums too but she stays focused on the job and doesnt get caught up in stupid stuff.

Is she "prototype mech designer" smart? Thats a bridge too far for me, but I will buy that she's just naturally better at piloting them than the rest.

I mean that's her entire thing. She was a genius weapon designer who was at the forefront of Shinra's war machine development which is why she got promoted to that role in the first place. Same reason Hojo is so high up despite the fact everyone around him vocally despises him.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

making weapons for shinra is easy, just mash the “more mako” button until you make a bigger boom or the planet dies, whichever happens first

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Palmer is a genial twit mostly, but in the original he managed to get a abandoned and decommissioned rocket space worthy in a day and foils all efforts to stop or divert the launch. He probably is very good at his job.

His job just does not exist, for the most part.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Hojo is notably riding Gasts coattails. I think he is only where he is because he looks and sounds the part. In point of fact, there are repeated scenes where Rufus asks him what in the hell is going on and he never gives a straight answer. Hojo is a con man with an ant farm.

I mean I won't die on this hill but it seems off to me that anyone high up in Shinra is there out of merit. Rufus is given the head job by daddy, and both Heideggar and Palmer are shameless boot licking sycophants. Rufus seems to enjoy Scarlet's callous advice and sadistic sensibilities.

Scarlet has a title and a history of being a brilliant engineer. Sure. But we never see her do any of that stuff, and I would buy the idea that she has a little ratatouille in her cleavage telling her how to make mechs than her actually being good at making mechs.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Reeve?

Also half the bosses in the game are weird but very genuinely dangerous Shinra robots. Like yes they don't drop the party but the party is very tough.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 11, 2024

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, Hojo is pretty explicitly a second rate scientist who shot Gast in the head and stole all his research

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I think the question has been raised before of whether Hojo is actually any good at science or whether he just injects anything into anything, and then declares himself delighted with whatever the result happens to be? Super soldier? Excellent. Mutated monstrosity? Excellent. Corpses? What fascinating battle data!

On reflection, Scarlet seems good at her actual job but she breaks every single rule on the Evil Overlord List, so whether she's "competent" or not depends on whether you hold that against her.

Heidegger generally succeeds at whatever he's doing, but he mostly seems to succeed because he has huge technological, logistical, and strategic advantages, and he doesn't really seem to get that. Like, the reactor bombing incident was basically him and a team of hundreds equipped with super-advanced robots, weapons, and surveillance tech, working to lure in five guys with mostly melee weapons, and he acts like he's incredibly clever for pulling it off.

Reeve is basically the one competent, sane person holding the company together and he tells himself he's keeping everything from falling apart disastrously but he's actually just enabling Shinra's evil.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hojo is an extremely gifted scientist from what we're shown.

It is just that his 'extremely gifted' area is creating abominations against god and nature without morals. Gast might have been better but Gast also was like... not the kind of guy who decides to show a woman her other mother's bones for funsies.

But every horrible mutant twisting mass of flesh designed exclusively to kill is either Hojo or Jenova and a lot more of it is Hojo.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Hojo is also responsible for two AI's in his own image, whatever is going on with Chadley and his siblings and probably made the Holodeck technology that Shinra uses and Chadley miniaturized

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Nah.. Hojo clearly has no clue what he's doing. It's why everything is "fascinating" to him. He's just forcing experiments to freebase mako and observing the results.

And Scarlet invents weapons in the same way Elon invents. She just says "make cannon bigger" and takes all the credit of accomplishment.

I mean we're talking about people who think the "promised land" is a literal place on the surface of the planet.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Hojo put a human and a dog in the same cage to see if they would gently caress. It's clear his entire skill set is mashing two weird things together and calling whatever the result is a success.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
Yeah I think Hojo is textually a loving idiot who's a massive victim of Dunning-Kruger, he's just lucky enough to be working with The Thing such that "stuff Jenova cells into it" basically always (temporarily) "works," if by "works" we mean "does not immediately die." Also, his laboratory discipline is awful given how many monsters are basically "Hojo made an unspeakable abomination for funsies, and then just kinda shrugged when specimens broke out and bred in the wild."

He's not really a scientist, he wants to be a scientist, but he's basically a Jenova cultist.

That said, Reeve is clearly extremely good at his job, given he and his department are able to keep Midgar functioning (for a given value thereof) despite the active neglect and underfunding they get from the entire rest of Shinra as they funnel all of Shinra's revenue into deranged megaprojects, death robots or crimes against nature. The Urban Development department would probably be able to build a much better world if Shinra didn't keep loving them over! It's just that if they leave, the entire thing collapses.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 11, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

He did make Vincent which I don't think had anything to do with Jenova. He just turned some random guy he shot into an immortal monster.

Dunno if that shows he's a great scientist but he has some ability.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Hojo is a Rusty Venture sort of scientist, and he's extremely okay with that.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

in the original the only Sephiroth clone that made it to the Reunion was one that Hojo considered a reject and when he realized this he threw a temper tantrum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Just finished last night, and after sleeping on the ending, I'm in the "Well, let's see how they pull it together in part 3" camp, as I am just as confused at this point of the story as I was in the original.

Other than that, game very good.

sure okay posted:

I mean I won't die on this hill but it seems off to me that anyone high up in Shinra is there out of merit. Rufus is given the head job by daddy, and both Heideggar and Palmer are shameless boot licking sycophants. Rufus seems to enjoy Scarlet's callous advice and sadistic sensibilities.

Yeah, I bet they aren't complete morons (aside from Palmer), but Shinra as even moderately meritocratic seems like a stretch.

I mean, that psycho Middle Manager apparently makes enough to design his own tournament arcs with rare monsters from around the world!