Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

who cares what hillary wears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Agree with this tho, but I just don't see how this will get accomplished. Their incentives aren't there. There's enough Vote Blue forever people that they can win enough to get their sinecures upon retirement.

I don't think there are enough mindless blue voters to keep Dems strong, the issue here is that Republicans don't address material conditions either so there's no real reason for anyone to vote for them.

Republicans just blame all our problems on immigrants, black people, loose women, and gays. Which is enough to get a lot of votes, but there's also just too many voters who aren't taken in by that to make the GOP a permanent majority.

They could defeat the Democrats forever, easily, if they did the barest minimum to help people, which is more than the Democrats would ever do, but they won't.

We saw what happened when a political party made the slightest effort to improve the material circumstances of anyone besides oligarchs for a change, it was called the New Deal and Democrats won 5 terms in a row and had an almost unbroken hold on congress for 60 years

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

they need a midwest white guy with a picture of a juggalo in there

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Rubellavator posted:

who cares what hillary wears

I'm sorry are you saying her ~ICONIC~ pantsuits didn't define an entire generation

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

lol

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SixteenShells posted:

why didn't you photoshop the arrow going the other way
I did end up doing that sorta. Started with the one pointing right then went to the true ending slide so the metaphor would become completely literal.

I also included these helpful diagrams:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shageletic posted:

I mean the Whigs collapsed because they couldn't get a uniform stance on slavery, breaking up with Nebraska Kansas and people in the North pissed off at the spread of slavery into terrotories to create another parry with the remnant making up the Know Nothing party like you said blaming catholic immigration for their problems. Both issues stem from economic arguments, material concerns not satisfactorily being met by the Whigs. This is a far cry from voting for a party that does nothing materially at all, like the Dems.
Sorry, that really should have been "anti-slavery ex-Whigs," my bad.

quote:

Agree with this tho, but I just don't see how this will get accomplished. Their incentives aren't there. There's enough Vote Blue forever people that they can win enough to get their sinecures upon retirement.
Yup, for sure. The article blaming the voters for the Democrats not getting the votes is pretty short-sighted.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nichael posted:

the lgbt acronym is getting so huge you're going to need to stretch the bumper sticker for it out over multiple vehicles
We've got a great big convoy
Succin through the night

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Many young voters dislike both Biden and Donald Trump and aren't going to vote. A very polite way of expressing this is that some are what are euphemistically called "low-information voters" and blame Biden for things he can't control. It's like: "I read all about the eclipse and wanted to see it but it wasn't available in my state so I am going to blame the president. It's his fault." Many of them have no idea: (1) what Biden tried to do as president and (2) why he couldn't get it.

Kirsten Mansel (23) is a liberal who wants to teach Biden a lesson because he didn't cancel student loans or protect abortion. She is willing to accept a Trump presidency to stick it to Biden because she is angry. Maybe somebody ought to tell her that Biden tried to cancel student loans but the Supreme Court, full of Republican appointees, said he didn't have the authority to do that, and nevertheless he is trying to do what he can on the interest on the loans and other things. While he or she is at it, maybe someone should tell Kirsten that only Congress can make a law making abortion legal nationwide and all Republicans oppose that, so the votes aren't there.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

Does anyone really think Rubio would have sent out big beautiful checks?

Most likely. He voted for it twice. He might not have said "it should be a big beautiful $2000 check" for the second one, but he voted to approve $600

They kinda had to do something. People couldn't work, if you don't get the people some relief on a mass unemployment crisis, well that's the kind of thing that tends to end with politicians dangling from light poles.

E: also even if he privately opposed the checks, they were each a part of massive must-pass covid legislation, and the only way to block them would have been to veto the entire bill which would have touched off economic panic. No way would that have been worth it.

Even Trump backed down when his threat to veto the second bill because the checks weren't big and beautiful enough caused chaos

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 17:36 on Apr 11, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

HallelujahLee posted:

lol at still covering for his genocide loving buddy

time to face facts

joe biden and bernie sanders love rape and that is the cornerstone of their friendship

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Disliking both as opposed to being completely ambivalent seems like it inherently requires voters to not be low information??

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

it's cool that biden picked the dumbest way to do loan forgiveness and now it's just impossible

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Hitler had an economic message. Therefore,

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://twitter.com/ok_post_guy/status/1778224829998813221

I like how this person keeps posting the "Presidential Greatness Project Expert Survey" done by professional historians as his evidence

he is the worst president in us history if you consider the fact that all us presidents are nazi rapists who should be locked up or cadaver synod-ed as needed

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

no 🤡s nichael? B-.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Ham Equity posted:

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4586780-senate-democrats-baffled-by-calls-for-sotomayor-to-step-aside/

Yeah, I just can't imagine why after the RBG thing and then the Feinstein thing people wouldn't want soon-to-be septuagenarians in spots that get lifetime appointments coming into an election where their side is likely to lose.

The 77-year-old, 65-year-old, and 74-year old quoted in this piece are understandably confused (given their age).

I'd like to run a hypothetical forward. Trump is a legitimate threat to democracy. He will spearhead a Christofascist takeover of the USA. Any pretense of democracy is eliminated, Trump is our new dictator on day one. In that scenario, do Sotomayor and the other liberals on SCOTUS and in Congress plan to keep their jobs? Like, say that dictator Trump keeps SCOTUS around and doesn't even fire any of them, and for some reason he keeps Congress around even though they don't decide anything meaningful. Are they going to willingly keep their seats while America turns into Nazi Germany 3.0 and lend legitimacy to its government with their presence?

So why all this hand-wringing about careers? If there's a real chance of all the above happening, isn't giving up your position in government to help elect Biden a no-brainer decision?

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

pencilhands posted:

Many young voters dislike both Biden and Donald Trump and aren't going to vote. A very polite way of expressing this is that some are what are euphemistically called "low-information voters" and blame Biden for things he can't control. It's like: "I read all about the eclipse and wanted to see it but it wasn't available in my state so I am going to blame the president. It's his fault." Many of them have no idea: (1) what Biden tried to do as president and (2) why he couldn't get it.

Kirsten Mansel (23) is a liberal who wants to teach Biden a lesson because he didn't cancel student loans or protect abortion. She is willing to accept a Trump presidency to stick it to Biden because she is angry. Maybe somebody ought to tell her that Biden tried to cancel student loans but the Supreme Court, full of Republican appointees, said he didn't have the authority to do that, and nevertheless he is trying to do what he can on the interest on the loans and other things. While he or she is at it, maybe someone should tell Kirsten that only Congress can make a law making abortion legal nationwide and all Republicans oppose that, so the votes aren't there.
f-

do not see me after class

you know what you did

Jen heir rick
Aug 4, 2004
when a woman says something's not funny, you better not laugh your ass off

Rubellavator posted:

it's cool that biden picked the dumbest way to do loan forgiveness and now it's just impossible

look, it's very complicated ok? lots of very smart people have looked into it, and this is just the best way to do it. loans can't just be forgiven. you have to apply formulas and poo poo until it adds up. interests have to be accounted for. middle men must be paid. otherwise it's unfair and profits might be lost.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

HallelujahLee posted:

ranking my list of hitlers
oh, so it's only cool when matt did it on hell of presidents

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Nichael posted:

I did end up doing that sorta. Started with the one pointing right then went to the true ending slide so the metaphor would become completely literal.

now i'm imagining a one-way sign with the arrow pointing down as a visual metaphor

also, neat! i've always been fond of the sincere approach to presentations. keeps it interesting for the audience

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Jen heir rick posted:

look, it's very complicated ok? lots of very smart people have looked into it, and this is just the best way to do it. loans can't just be forgiven. you have to apply formulas and poo poo until it adds up. interests have to be accounted for. middle men must be paid. otherwise it's unfair and profits might be lost.

relevant stakeholders must be included! you forgot to ask jesus and the banks whether it was okay to cancel loans!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

pencilhands posted:

Evergreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHouxwLbBWw

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
love hearing people say trump was a uniquely terrible president for repealing roe v. wade, something he didn't do

he elected judges given to him by mitch mcconnell when there was a vacant seat. which is what every republican president would've done.

trump even argued against repealing it behind the scenes because he knew it was a electoral disaster

meanwhile joe biden could've tried to codified it when he had the house and senate (or well, did anything) but didn't, because he knew it would've been an electoral disaster for the republicans. which person in this scenario acted more uniquely evil?

Automata 10 Pack has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Apr 11, 2024

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SixteenShells posted:

I'd like to run a hypothetical forward. Trump is a legitimate threat to democracy. He will spearhead a Christofascist takeover of the USA. Any pretense of democracy is eliminated, Trump is our new dictator on day one. In that scenario, do Sotomayor and the other liberals on SCOTUS and in Congress plan to keep their jobs? Like, say that dictator Trump keeps SCOTUS around and doesn't even fire any of them, and for some reason he keeps Congress around even though they don't decide anything meaningful. Are they going to willingly keep their seats while America turns into Nazi Germany 3.0 and lend legitimacy to its government with their presence?
Yes. 100%

SixteenShells posted:

So why all this hand-wringing about careers? If there's a real chance of all the above happening, isn't giving up your position in government to help elect Biden a no-brainer decision?

See above.

Bernie was polling like 20 points higher against Trump than Clinton was. If he was a crazy dictator who was gonna nuke the world like they said, nominating Sanders should have been a no-brainer. Why would you take any risks even if you thought Hillary could still win.

In reality they would rather lose to Trump than countenance Hillary stepping aside when it was Her Turn, so going with the careerist was the no-brainer regardless of the fact that she was the worse candidate.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

is pepsi ok posted:

Konnichiwa, Hillary desu.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

they need a midwest white guy with a picture of a juggalo in there

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

VitalSigns posted:

Most likely. He voted for it twice. He might not have said "it should be a big beautiful $2000 check" for the second one, but he voted to approve $600

They kinda had to do something. People couldn't work, if you don't get the people some relief on a mass unemployment crisis, well that's the kind of thing that tends to end with politicians dangling from light poles.

E: also even if he privately opposed the checks, they were each a part of massive must-pass covid legislation, and the only way to block them would have been to veto the entire bill which would have touched off economic panic. No way would that have been worth it.

Even Trump backed down when his threat to veto the second bill because the checks weren't big and beautiful enough caused chaos

yeah I that's a good point, so yeah he was even more of a boilerplate republican than I gave him credit for. which is kind of funny considering that like if trump is a fascist dictator and he's governed like a "sane republican" like what does that say about one of the 2 parties, the ability of liberal democracy to beat fascism and democrat leadership's insistence that we need a strong republican (fascist) party

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I hope Hillary ends up puking her sushi like HW did, wearing that

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I say I say I say Juche, son

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Automata 10 Pack posted:

meanwhile joe biden could've tried to codified it when he had the house and senate (or well, did anything) but didn't, because he knew it would've been an electoral disaster for the republicans. which person in this scenario acted more uniquely evil?

https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1778408076632031677?t=_fq37BG-pHi-cIj5hjRFCA&s=19

Like what is the difference. Why should Biden get a second term for failing (or refusing) to stop it during his first term.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

pencilhands posted:

couldn't biden just put loans in forbearance and set interest rates to 0% for the entirety of his presidency (thus giving people a reason to reelect him)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Biden may not be immediately responsible for failing to stop the repeal of Roe but he certainly is the national figurehead of the political party that did fail to stop it

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

spacemang_spliff posted:

couldn't biden just put loans in forbearance and set interest rates to 0% for the entirety of his presidency (thus giving people a reason to reelect him)

something something covid was emergency circumstances so Trump had legal justification to start it but Biden doesn't have it to continue it. i dunno. i agree with you.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/kareemisposting/status/1778432617928368584?t=hBi0dVNFqPatZPMHUcx2Tw&s=19

Juicekanda forever

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

SixteenShells posted:

something something covid was emergency circumstances so Trump had legal justification to start it but Biden doesn't have it to continue it. i dunno. i agree with you.

ah it's a good thing he declared the emergency over then

but like couldn't he do it without an emergency declaratoin, can't he just direct his education secretary to do it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
OJ Simpson, MF Doom and John Lewis blowing out RBG's back walls in heaven

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

gradenko_2000 posted:

OJ Simpson, MF Doom and John Lewis blowing out RBG's back walls in heaven

New Warren blunt rotation

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SixteenShells posted:

now i'm imagining a one-way sign with the arrow pointing down as a visual metaphor

also, neat! i've always been fond of the sincere approach to presentations. keeps it interesting for the audience

thanks. I've basically just been escalating how literal and over the top I can get with answers here since day one. the answer is, there's no limit to what I can say because I don't think lib students are even processing anything.

at one point I told them to thank the school's federalist society on a job well done in achieving everything they ever wanted by dismantling all regulations, and it was blank looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

spacemang_spliff posted:

No he cannot, last May Democrats joined Republicans to make it illegal to put loans back in forbearance after September 2023

E:
https://www.politico.com/news/2023/05/30/debt-ceiling-deal-biden-student-loans-interest-00099144

quote:

The deal reached by President Joe Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy to raise the nation’s debt limit would force the administration to resume collecting federal student loan payments and interest for millions of Americans at the end of the summer.

The agreement, the text of which was unveiled Sunday evening after weeks of negotiations between the White House and GOP leaders, would terminate the ongoing pause on monthly payments and interest after Aug. 30.

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Apr 11, 2024