Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
My Lala is basically a mixture of a cartoon character and my grandpa (yeah, he was short, but not that short), so no elaborate backstory for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don’t RP, so backstory and characterization were something I came up with when I set up my apartment/house and had to decide “what kind of place would she have?”

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

My WoL’s Watsonian backstory is an amorphous blob of details I can’t bring up now (or ever, in this thread) mixed with her original inspiration that I hope to write some day. But on the Doylist side I can tell you her name, Knight Gawain, was from my first playthrough of FF1. And it’s her chosen name, not a title. Knight has confusing ideas about building her brand and cribbing from interdimensional myths.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

All my characters are just transplants of characters I've played in tabletop RPGs, art OCs, or in one case a retainer whose design I liked enough to make a full character. That last one later became a character I played in a Fragged Empire 2e game.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
WoL backstory, eh?

My WoL is part of a mooncat clan with a strong affinity for lightning (to a point of every single one of them has a patron god of either Byregot or Rhalgr, and they're very friendly with the Sylphs. Put it this way once they realize what clan Nami is, they'll go from calling her "Walking-one" to "Lightning-one"). Her early life was standard mooncat-in-the-Shroud fare, then the moon fell. The clan was scattered, and Nami escaped the fires with only her sister, neither one having any idea where any others of their clan may be.

2 years into the 5-year-timeskip, Nami and her sister got into a massive fight, one which resulted in Nami's eye scar. Unable to reasonably trust her sister, she peaced off to the furthest place on the map she could think of, which is to say if her sister was on the mainland, then Nami would go hang out on Vylbrand. She stayed in Limsa's territory for the next three years, doing odd jobs here and there to make ends meet, before being given a formal offer to join the Arcanist's Guild, after having studied their ways from afar (and being noticed doing so). ARR's story opens with Nami on her way to her first day in the guild, and she uses the techniques she learns therein to hone her skills as an adventurer and thus expand the range of tasks she can do. Eventually she has that chance meeting with one Y'shtola Rhul.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I never thought of character backgrounds for my WoW characters, they formed from the aether as full grown murder hobos. Once I finally settled on a look for Emegen though, I couldn’t help thinking of one. She left her fishing village to avoid a future of fish guts; guarded caravans around the steppe for a while, picking up fighting and crafting skills from the people she worked with. Then they ran into an Imperial inspection and poo poo went sideways, she barely escaped with her life and hopped on the first boat out of Kugane. Found a flyer in Limsa about bow training in Grindania and took a cart out there.

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

My WoL 's family came from the Steppes, having left it some time ago. They were Qestir, which I chose to explain why my WoL doesn't speak that much. Of course, she's positively a chatterbox compared to other members of her family and tribe. She set out for adventure and, well, found it.

... also, she's something of a chuuni, and her favorite jobs are Black Mage, Dark Knight, and Reaper.

If the game ever comes with a "dark healer" type I may just be forced to main it.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
My WoL didn't really have a backstory to start, but kind of developed one between coincidences and characters I really liked. For example, he started as just a mooncat named, well, "Davin Valkri", until I noticed that, hey, that's just one letter and an apostrophe off from the mooncat valid tribal name "Dav'ir"...

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
My WoL is a Qerel Xaela, with her "Fray" being essentially an external manifestation of her Inner Beast/Will of Karash created by the Dark Knight Soul Crystal. She was a real hellion during ARR, but after the Banquet and the DRK Storyline, she's calmed down significantly. Beyond that, most in the realm know her as "The Warrior of Light's taciturn companion" more than anything else.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Sanguinia posted:

I didn't want to bog down in the minutia of the system, but I NEVER bought those before Shadowbringers and now I've bought every one that's come up. Before it was way more important to me to save up my Hunt currency because it was so annoying to get, but Bicolor Gems come faster and easier during the level-up process and there's not much better to buy other than the music scrolls, which are almost too expensive to bother with. Add in the once-again-increased size of the zones and it's actually really well designed to funnel me into a reward that gives me practical gameplay value that until now I wouldn't have even considered.

For Centurio Seals, Stormblood hunt trains are still pretty popular, though not nearly as much as trains for later expansions. With 40 seals per A-rank hunt mark killed, if all 12 marks are still up that's 480 seals per train. (And there are achievements for killing the unique A-rank and S-rank hunt marks up through Stormblood, if that's a thing that matters to you.) For ARR and HW, those hunt trains basically don't exist since a single player anywhere near the level cap can trivially solo those A-ranks, but you can get plenty of Allied Seals through a certain piece of side content that you've skipped so far.

Personally, I gave up on grinding out bicolor gemstones specifically for buying most of the ShB orchestrion rolls, and just bought the more affordable ones off of the market board. Most of the rolls from ShB shared FATE zones are marketable, but the later ones aren't as a rule. Even without orchestrions, there are still plenty of expensive gemstone-exclusive rewards, especially in zones where you've maxed out the shared FATEs. Sometimes crafting materials are a better value for your time by buying with gemstones in comparison to grinding mobs or spending entirely too much gil for them on the MB, though I'm pretty sure that all the mats that you can buy for gemstones can also be acquired from hunting ventures by retainers with combat jobs at the appropriate level.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.

Kerzoro posted:

My WoL 's family came from the Steppes, having left it some time ago. They were Qestir, which I chose to explain why my WoL doesn't speak that much. Of course, she's positively a chatterbox compared to other members of her family and tribe. She set out for adventure and, well, found it.

... also, she's something of a chuuni, and her favorite jobs are Black Mage, Dark Knight, and Reaper.

If the game ever comes with a "dark healer" type I may just be forced to main it.

Chuuni players represent. I too yearn for darrrrrk healer.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
No shame in aspiring to be Black Jack

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
[Modnote: don't talk about future poo poo jfc]

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 11, 2024

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
My first (and so far only) major alt, Kay, is a Viera sellsword that, at least at first, was mainly in it for the money -- people with a sufficiently strong Echo and the martial ability to stand against a Primal are thin on the ground, so it paid well, and that's how Alphi knew where to look when Livia slaughtered most of the Scions back in post-Titan ARR.

He convinced her to take up the cause, first by trying to appeal to her better nature, then by giving up and just offering her a shitload of gil.

She wasn't as close to the Scions as the canon WOL at the time of the Banquet, but she couldn't exactly stay in Eorzea either, so she went with Alphi and Tataru to Ishgard, still telling him - and herself - that she was just in this for the pay.

... She stopped pretending it wasn't personal after the Vault. Taking Thordan down was very definitely personal.

Likewise, she still did an okay job at pretending she didn't care much for the Scions while helping Alphi retrieve them, mostly telling herself that they covered her escape, so she owed them at least a check-in. Alphinaud lamented a great deal about her mercenary nature. Y'shtola, on the other hand, just gave her a knowing look.

And then Alphinaud's sister resurfaced, and she was Smol and Angry and Fierce and Stubborn and pretty much every single Protective Big Sister instinct that Kay had been carefully and studiously repressing kicked back in with a vengeance.

(May edit this with a screenshot later but she mains two classes that haven't been touched on here yet)

kaosdrachen fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 11, 2024

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Imagine the (physically) strongest, dumbest conjurer in the world, blessed by Nhaama and with power from the kami(we blessed her wrong, as a joke.) Fresh off the Steppe and a few years in Kugane she takes a boat to Limsa to travel to sample cuisine and trips face first into the ARR plot, becoming the Scion's token genki foreigner and Xaela member. Luckily becoming one of the top five strongest fighters in the world carries a lot of weight in world affairs, as well as the scholarly nerd club. It makes a lot of the later expansion excitably dumb WoL dialogue options really fun, as well as the second half of Stormblood. Overprotective big sister to the twins, naive enough to fall for a wallet inspector but can punch demigods.

Being the WoL isn't much fun in RP terms so the premise ends with the first sentence and power level caps off at "really strong elementalist/geomancer-style CNJ who physically trains like a PUG." Disarm my staff? Clotheslines u.

I'm half-expecting to meet her in a Hildibrand quest sometime.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Quantum Toast posted:

I'm half-expecting to meet her in a Hildibrand quest sometime.

You honor me. :3:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I feel like we shouldn't be talking about how intense the expansion does or doesn't go.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Who has time to buy six entire mats per gold rated FATE when you already have to farm an entirely unreasonable number of them to buy all of the music rolls and TT cards and other assorted geegaws on the merchants?

More importantly, mats are worse value compared to the tradable items so should never buy mats anyways. I've farmed up somewhere from 25k to 30k gems and mostly liquidate it by selling off furniture.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Yeah, good luck getting Shared FATEs maxed out when interest in them dies shortly after the initial wave of the expansion.

I was able to do one of the two starting zones FATEs, mostly because I was joined by a rather terrible botting player who was frequently at the same one as me, to contribute at least a little toward the health sponge bosses.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

My character's backstory is pretty simple -- they were living in the south sea isles with their family when a tragedy happened back at home. They then were filled with a longing to just get out of there in order to deal with the loss, and took the boat to Eorzea.

They are also on the goofball end so naturally they signed up for the ancestral lalafell calling (THM / BLM) the first chance they got. My name itself is a stage name since it doesn't jell with the lala naming conventions. They then took up the DRK blade after all the BS they went through in ARR / early Heavensward and its been their main since.

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 11, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The trick to fate work is to throw up a partyfinder that says you're grinding shared fates. Odds are you'll get some company eventually.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also a friend in my FC doesn't really have a character, and named his Thaumaturge Hrothgar Hott Coldmann as a joke. So to add to the joke I said that when he came to Ul'dah his heavy slavic accent and not knowing the common tongue, he tried to explain he was a thaumaturge looking for work.

"I am... Hot Cold Man."
"... Adventurers just get Weirder, Alright, Mister Hott Coldmann, cause no trouble."

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Onmi posted:

Also a friend in my FC doesn't really have a character, and named his Thaumaturge Hrothgar Hott Coldmann as a joke. So to add to the joke I said that when he came to Ul'dah his heavy slavic accent and not knowing the common tongue, he tried to explain he was a thaumaturge looking for work.

"I am... Hot Cold Man."
"... Adventurers just get Weirder, Alright, Mister Hott Coldmann, cause no trouble."

A Metal Gear character that doesn't get RP'd very often.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

Yeah, good luck getting Shared FATEs maxed out when interest in them dies shortly after the initial wave of the expansion.

They're doable with w Chocobo eventually,but it isn't very fun.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 11, 2024

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

When I'm solo I usually only do the boss fates. Doing the fates where you have to kill 20 enemies sucks when they only spawn 2 or 3 at a time.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Craptacular! posted:

I was able to do one of the two starting zones FATEs, mostly because I was joined by a rather terrible botting player who was frequently at the same one as me, to contribute at least a little toward the health sponge bosses.

I managed to do it for Shadowbringers, but the soulless grind completely killed my interest in doing it for Endwalker.

It'd be nice if they could halve the Shared FATEs after the expac is no longer current.

Onmi posted:

"I am... Hot Cold Man."

Of course the guy named Hott Coldmann plays the job that lets you cast nukes. :v:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Speaking of joke names, I have another femroe alt named "Four'lalas Trenchcoat".

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Speaking of joke names, I have another femroe alt named "Four'lalas Trenchcoat".

A coworker of mine plays a lala named Tataru's Legbreaker which I appreciate deeply

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I managed to do it for Shadowbringers, but the soulless grind completely killed my interest in doing it for Endwalker.

It'd be nice if they could halve the Shared FATEs after the expac is no longer current.

Just remove the "Heavy" Flag and let BLU deal with it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Of course the guy named Hott Coldmann plays the job that lets you cast nukes. :v:

Well, he's a Red Mage now.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I got in a bit of a zen state finally finishing off the shared FATEs a few months back, mostly solo because nobody joined PF, also using it to level two tanks at the same time (maxed both before I finished off the experience). You get real familiar with the difficulty floor of FATEs and how easily the higher scaling kicks in when others pop in for a bit to help out. I just went to different worlds when people didn't stick around but threw the scaling off.

Delivery FATEs are a welcome sight when grinding like that. The worst are enemy extermination when they trickle in and their spawn points can be outside the boundaries.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Meanwhile I did it for Endwalker but every time I try to go back and do Shadowbringers I burn out. I don't mind doing the fates solo, but something about it just... ugh. Feels like it's taking a lot longer even though I can objectively show (to my own satisfaction) that the actual fates aren't popping slower or taking longer or anything.

dyslexicfaser
Dec 10, 2022

Having fates be a potential way of completing mogtome challenges in the last mogtome event was a good idea. I wish they'd required more than 5 a week, tbh.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

While Sang guess Roe adoption as the origin of my joke name, I instead decided to tie it to a head-canon I developed when I noticed that the emblem above the Platinum Mirage desk in Ul'dah was a d20. So I concluded that the Actual Terrible Secret of the Syndicate is that they're a bunch of sweaty nerds who hide their grognard TTRPG sessions behind a cover of 'exclusive gambling den'. And since they're entitled fucks on top of that, they sometimes yoink randos off the street to act as NPCs, which is how on night one in Ul'dah, my WoL had to listen to Teledji or Lolorito (I flip between the two) whine incomprehensibly about "my immersion". After getting through that without bursting into laughter, she adopted the phrase as a nom de guerre.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Honestly the actual worst thing about fate grinding is that even when you max out all the areas in both expacs with shared fates it doesn’t give you enough to buy all the goodies. I didn’t mind working towards the actual goals in the areas as much but the idea of grinding out those last couple orchestrion rolls… there’s only so many podcasts i can listen to….

I did absolutely love the changes to the last mogtome event though. That poo poo was great.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Getting the Fallen Angel Wings needs like 4000 ShB FATEs to get enough gemstones.

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.
I love the IDEA of RP and coming up with a character backstory but I have never been in a community for it and don't have enough confidence in my creativity to do it, unfortunately.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Jumley posted:

I love the IDEA of RP and coming up with a character backstory but I have never been in a community for it and don't have enough confidence in my creativity to do it, unfortunately.

I believe in you Jumley <3

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Not that anyone asked, but I'm sharing anyway -

I have a very odd relationship with my Warrior of Light.

Background: My character's name "Mordiceius Ketsumei" is a combination of two names I used way back when I played vanilla/TBC WoW. "Mordiceius" was a name I created back in 2005 for an Forsaken Holy Priest. Obviously, I've carried that name with me since then (goddamn it has been 19 years of me using this name). "Ketsumei" was a name I used for my Blood Elf Paladin at the launch of Burning Crusade. Me, being a massive weeaboo, wanted a "fitting" name so I went with the Japanese word for "blood oath." It felt fitting for a Blood Elf Paladin.

When I started FFXIV, I started as a catgirl because... obviously.
2013 Catgirl
Toward the end of ARR, my wife started playing and created a catgirl, so for the sake of diversity, I fantasia'd to a highlander.
Moments after Fantasia (circa 2015).

It's an odd thing. I've kept my character's same hair since 2015. There have been brief moments when I changed for a day or two or changed the color briefly, but those are always extremely temporary and I always return to the original - though her hair color now is just slightly darker than it was originally. Over the years, I feel like my Warrior of Light became an extension of myself. My WoL has allowed me to explore my personal identity in a generally "safe" environment.

But I digress - it wasn't until a couple years ago that I actually started developing a backstory for my WoL - as I'd started dipping my toes into the random RP venue. The reason I started this post with the backstory on the parts of my character's name is that I built my WoL's background in a way to accommodate the names. I consider "Mordiceius" to be a male/masculine name. And while my WoL is a strong force of nature, she is a woman. Keeping this in mind, the backstory I came up with was a way to reconcile that. I decided that "Mordiceius" wasn't a name for her - it was a title.

My WoL Backstory posted:

Her name is Ketsumei - or Kets for short. Her earliest memories are in Vylbrand. She never knew her parents. She just knew life as an urchin. When she was a child around 10 years old, she stowed away on a ship docked in Limsa. This ship ended up being a pirate vessel in all but name. She was, naturally, quickly discovered by the crew. Instead of throwing her overboard, the captain took pity on her, admiring her gumption and bringing her into the crew.

The captain happened to be a bit of an eccentric fellow - and perhaps one that was a few Triple Triad cards short of a deck. He was a man with a background shrouded in mystery. He never spoke of his past, only his life as a pirate. To everyone who knew him, he was born a pirate and he would die a pirate. People knew so little about him that they never knew his true name. He demanded that everyone refer to him as "Mordiceius" but insisted that it wasn't a name, but a title. According to him, the word meant "captain" or "leader" in his homeland's native dialect. Being that he never clarified where his homeland was, this is something that was never corroborated. Everyone referred to him as Mordiceius or The Mord.

Kets spent her teenage years serving on The Mord's ship. She fought. She drank. She played cards. She was an equal to any other man on deck. Though everyone knew she was The Mord's favorite. Someday, she would be his successor - something that not everyone was pleased about. The years went on.

In the year 1572 of the Sixth Astral Era, Kets and crew were out on the Rhotano Sea when the world ended.

There was word of conflict between the Eorzean City States and the Garlean Empire at Carteneau Fields - but that was a matter for other people to deal with. War meant that more ships would be sailing. More supplies to be pillaged. No one could have prepared for the wave that struck their ship. The Mord tried his best to guide the ship through the storm, but little could be done when the wave's impact cracked their mast. Kets could only watch as it fell directly toward her captain. She held his hand as he died. As the life flickered from his eyes, he spoke to her, "Mordiceius... means light. Be the light in the darkness for others..."

Unfortunately, it was too late for the ship. The Calamity had struck.

Ketsumei - Mordiceius Ketsumei, would strike out in the world and make her Mord proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jumley
Oct 10, 2012

There's hope for you yet.

Sanguinia posted:

I believe in you Jumley <3

Thank you <3

One thing I have never been able to do is fantasia permanently to another character. I always return to my original Au Ra man and I only fantasia during downtime between story patches. It never feels right to experience story with another character. Joey Tortellini (yes a dumb Comedy Bang Bang reference but the name at this point feels integral to my character as silly as it is) with his particular mannerisms and expressions feels like the WOL to me in this story and I'd have a hard time changing it up (though I change my hair constantly to match the mood of the story)