Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
My WoL only started to consider Alphinaud something of a little brother after the disaster that was the bloody banquet. The way he was so miserably crushed and so plainly devastated and contrite afterwards erased all of her irritation at how he'd been bossing her around and generally treating her like a prop. He wasn't a terrible person, he was just a kid. One that was going to need taking care of in the immediate future. Alisae is part of the package sibling deal, plus she was a lot less thoughtlessly bossy, so it was easy to start thinking of her as a little sister, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

My character woke up on a boat to Limsa with an axe and amnesia

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Same, except on a carriage to Gridania. Last thing she remembered was chopping trees badly on Vylbrand, then she lost a bunch of years during which one of the moons blew up and somehow ended up with a back tattoo.

Despite her spotty memory, she's sort of weirded out by how some things seem to have changed. Could have sworn she used to be able to wear underwear under her clothes, which was the style at the time.

Algid fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 10, 2024

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Imagine the (physically) strongest, dumbest conjurer in the world, blessed by Nhaama and with power from the kami(we blessed her wrong, as a joke.) Fresh off the Steppe and a few years in Kugane she takes a boat to Limsa to travel to sample cuisine and trips face first into the ARR plot, becoming the Scion's token genki foreigner and Xaela member. Luckily becoming one of the top five strongest fighters in the world carries a lot of weight in world affairs, as well as the scholarly nerd club. It makes a lot of the later expansion excitably dumb WoL dialogue options really fun, as well as the second half of Stormblood. Overprotective big sister to the twins, naive enough to fall for a wallet inspector but can punch demigods.

Being the WoL isn't much fun in RP terms so the premise ends with the first sentence and power level caps off at "really strong elementalist/geomancer-style CNJ who physically trains like a PUG." Disarm my staff? Clotheslines u.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
Before reading this post about going to Alisaie first, I was of the opinion that going to Alphinaud first was a "better" route. This is despite me choosing to go see Alisaie first! Won't go into details yet but just wanted to say that reliving this story through Sanguinia has gotten me to rethink things a bit :)

FuturePastNow posted:

My character woke up on a boat to Limsa with an axe and amnesia
This is more backstory than I've thought about for my characters

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
My WoL is just some guy who decided to become an adventurer in Ul'dah to get out of his parents' shadow and accidentally wound up involved with some organization that wants to save the world.

So, y'know, original plan is going pretty well, give or take some trauma.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

My WoL is just some guy who decided to become an adventurer in Ul'dah to get out of his parents' shadow and accidentally wound up involved with some organization that wants to save the world.

So, y'know, original plan is going pretty well, give or take some trauma.

Same, basically. Rode into Ul'dah with stars in her eyes and hopes of making it in the big city, probably by punching things for money. Events rapidly escalated from there.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My WoL's story is she's from the boonies of Western Thanalan who came to Ul'dah to get medicine money for the few surviving family members after the calamity. She's never really stopped thinking of herself as a doofus answering a ad to kill mole rats. The only other important detail was that her family specialized in pearl-diving before the Calamity. This is important because she occasionally uses 'prepare to get shucked' before before a fight (only twice in my head, and one time is later in this LP).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

My WoL's back story is just they came from a small island or something that we'll never see, so she's new to any place we'll see in the game. Other than that, they became an adventurer for excitement and glory, until she realised she was actually fighting for people she cares about around Ultima Weapon.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
My WoL's story is something I tend to write after the fact, rather then as I do the content. I settled on Sami being a mooncat from the shroud who's clan fled to Gridania during the moon falling, did the lancer questline before FFXIV begins, had her clan break apart during that time due to stress from being mistreated, and on finishing the Lancer questline, left in disgust. ARR starts with her heading to Ul'Dah to make her fortune as a gladiator / pugilist. Beyond that it's fairly basic; she's very much a shonen protagonist who Fights For Her Friends and loves going out and being active, which goes great with her desire to help others as much as she can. Joining the scions was the best thing that could've happened to her.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

At some point I fear they'll add an NPC that, by suncat naming convention, is canonically my dad and I'll have to come up with an actual backstory to explain it.

So far though there's surprisingly few S tribe miqos running around.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Mine went to Gridania to learn some conjuring magic and got caught up in events. She doesn't really WANT to be doing any of this, but isn't enough of a jerk to just gently caress off and let the world go to hell. Thus she spends most of her time vaguely annoyed at everything, waiting for an opportune moment to slip away back into obscurity, but that never seems to happen. She didn't choose the WoL life; the WoL life chose her.

Welcome to Shadowbringers, Sang!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

My original idea was to just play it off as my WoW mage stranding herself in a world where her magic didn’t work… then decided to go for something a little more original.

Now, she’s from a Thavnairian slum town near an alchemy byproduct dumping site, and was the result of a one-night stand between her mother and a wealthy merchant who paid for a solid education in Hannish alchemy in exchange for never bringing it up with his actual family. She did that while picking up some Dancer lessons on the side, decided that she was going to have to go abroad if she was going to make more than a decent wage, and somehow ultimately wound up in the carriage to Gridania, and all of the shenanigans that ensued.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
My WoL's story begins when Prince Arthas Menethil and Illidan Stormrage fell through a spacetime portal into Eorzean where they met Raubahn who was, surprisingly enough, an omega. And then

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

So, I went back and re-created my end-of-Stormblood look, sans jewelry.

And if anyone's curios, the coat is the Plague Bringer's Coat from Saint Mocianne's Arboretum and Pharos Sirius hardmode. I ran both of those so many times, trying to get it to drop... And it was absolutely worth it, since it's still my go-to outfit for Summoner.

Apologies for the crappy screenshot, I am Not Good at making them all pretty-like. :v:

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

My WoL's concept is 'Everyone's Cool Lesbian Aunt', and Alisaie is definitely her favorite niece.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

My WoL lived in one of the forests near Dalmasca, and was just starting his training to become a lone guardian of the forest when the Garleans attacked and burned the whole thing down, killing his mentor. He leapt on the opportunity to escape the life of solitude that had been forced onto him and moved to the city, but found he didn't really like it, especially since it was under military occupation. Eventually made his way over to the Black Shroud and fell in with a band of poachers. Lived with them for a couple decades, but after seeing the woodwrath kill a bunch of people, thought about giving the city a try again, and so got on a card heading for Gridania.

The fun thing about Viera is that you can give them a hundred years of backstory and they'll still be relatively young :v:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Begemot posted:

My WoL lived in one of the forests near Dalmasca, and was just starting his training to become a lone guardian of the forest when the Garleans attacked and burned the whole thing down, killing his mentor. He leapt on the opportunity to escape the life of solitude that had been forced onto him and moved to the city, but found he didn't really like it, especially since it was under military occupation. Eventually made his way over to the Black Shroud and fell in with a band of poachers. Lived with them for a couple decades, but after seeing the woodwrath kill a bunch of people, thought about giving the city a try again, and so got on a card heading for Gridania.

The fun thing about Viera is that you can give them a hundred years of backstory and they'll still be relatively young :v:

This is why I loved RPing as the crazy long-lived races in WoW like the Draenei. Figuring out what your character was doing for 10,000 years was fun for me.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sanguinia posted:

This is why I loved RPing as the crazy long-lived races in WoW like the Draenei. Figuring out what your character was doing for 10,000 years was fun for me.

Absolutely agree at least in terms of Viera lifespans and the potential fun for them. 10 000 years is too long though.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I see my character as having a more collegial relationship with most of the Scions. Over time they have become friends, but their relationships with her are definitely defined by their common goals. My character sees Alphinaud as someone who occasionally needs to be reminded he's human, and she enjoys teasing him. She has more of a mentor/mentee relationship with Alisaie. Alisaie really just needs moral support, and my character provides when needed. My character thinks Alisaie probably has a crush on her, but it's a teenage platonic crush. Alisaie is really just looking for approval, and that my character is able to provide.

Yarrik
Jan 2, 2015
Welcome to Shadowbringers: poo poo Is About to Get Real.

thefailtrain
Apr 4, 2011

Counterpoint: More pink.

Sanguinia posted:

Shared FATE is simplicity itself: every event now rewards an extra currency, Bicolor Gemstones. A unique vendor in every zone sells you stuff in exchange for this currency. The more FATEs you clear, the more things they offer. You'll find music scrolls, furniture, Triad cards, Materia, and all the other standard miscellany that people are eager to hoover up in a new expansion. The first tier of items is available by default, and the second unlocks after a mere six FATEs.

Theoretically, the most important thing they put into these shops is actually the first and cheapest thing unlocked. Every crafting material dropped from monsters in the zone is available for just two bicolors a piece, adding an easy way to pick up what you need without having to remember spawn locations or deal with drop RNG or waiting on combat retainers. Back when Shadowbringers was current, you could even get High Quality versions of these materials (for twice the price). This went away with Endwalker making High Quality raw materials no longer exist, of course.

thefailtrain fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 10, 2024

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
the most important thing on the bicolor vendors is the mountspeed map at rank 2 :colbert:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Who has time to buy six entire mats per gold rated FATE when you already have to farm an entirely unreasonable number of them to buy all of the music rolls and TT cards and other assorted geegaws on the merchants?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

inside me there are two WoLs

ignoring that one time i was a lalafell

i was highlander all the way up to shadowbringers, so i have a lot of attachment to her and feel like she's more representative of "me", but i love and cherish my Hrothgar so much that i miss him if i ever change off him.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

I've roleplayed for years with my character, so like 95% of the personal lore and stories are in not-WoL land. It hasn't stopped me from from pondering otherwise though. They're the child of a Lalafellin Thanalan miner who had a very, very firm sense of wanting a son to pass on the family tradition. So much that he preemptively gave them a masculine name (Vinalo Mabunalo). He instead got a girl that he promptly declared a boy anyway. Fast forward 17 or so years later, a grand falling out over destiny and genders happened and Vinalo was kicked out of their home and wandered until some sort of feeling led them to the Black Shroud. They eventually joined up with the Stillglade Fane and became an accomplished healer, leaving a couple years after the Calamity (due to personal disagreements). There's a whole mess of things I've written and roleplayed, but I suppose the WoL edition of Vinalo ended up taking a job for the Scions instead of some other innocuous job and got roped into this whole mess.

And now I have a non-binary healer/botanist in their late 30s, just trying to do some good in the world.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

I went into FFXIV having no intention of giving a backstory to my WoL but bits and pieces accrued over time. It started with me mashing together two separate generated names in character creation, resulting in name that doesn't quite fit Lalafell naming convention (Yada Y'di). I also went with one of the forehead jewels that looks a bit like a Garlean third eye. Over time, those two elements evolved into a life spent under Garlean occupation - though I never narrowed down where, probably somewhere close to Ala Migho - without any family or much contact with other lalafells. His identity therefore ended up being a mis-mash of bits and pieces of knowledge of the outside world, filtered through imperial propaganda. He snuck through into Gridania during the chaos after the Calamity and ended up working as a sell-sword, which is how he originally fell in with the Scions as hired muscle.

I didn't consider an age for him at first but he was definitely a tired, old man by the end of Shadowbringers. He gets on best with Isildaure and I like to think that the two of them had run-ins back in Gridania before ARR kicked off.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

orcane posted:

the most important thing on the bicolor vendors is the mountspeed map at rank 2 :colbert:

I didn't want to bog down in the minutia of the system, but I NEVER bought those before Shadowbringers and now I've bought every one that's come up. Before it was way more important to me to save up my Hunt currency because it was so annoying to get, but Bicolor Gems come faster and easier during the level-up process and there's not much better to buy other than the music scrolls, which are almost too expensive to bother with. Add in the once-again-increased size of the zones and it's actually really well designed to funnel me into a reward that gives me practical gameplay value that until now I wouldn't have even considered.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Sanguinia posted:

I didn't want to bog down in the minutia of the system, but I NEVER bought those before Shadowbringers and now I've bought every one that's come up. Before it was way more important to me to save up my Hunt currency because it was so annoying to get, but Bicolor Gems come faster and easier during the level-up process and there's not much better to buy other than the music scrolls, which are almost too expensive to bother with. Add in the once-again-increased size of the zones and it's actually really well designed to funnel me into a reward that gives me practical gameplay value that until now I wouldn't have even considered.

If you have any stockpile of rested XP, grinding out your shared fate log is a great way to level additional jobs. I think I was able to level 2.5 jobs from 70-80 while doing the logs with full rested XP.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

Since the age of your WoL and headcanons are in discussion. I've mentioned before but playing a Viera allowed me to have some interesting discussion and thoughts. Some of which colour his experience of Shadowbringers story uniquely.

But overall, as I've mentioned in the past my personal story for Hanayuki Mikazuchi is that he is a little bit over 100 years old. So not young for a Viera but solidly into the early middle of his potential lifespan. I forget if all the Scions would know this by now, but certainly Shadowbringers made him think on his age compared to the others a lot more, and the fact that he would likely outlive every single one of them too.

He's a somewhat old man in a young man's body, because Viera are perpetually beautiful and youthful until they near the very end of their lives, and never before has he felt it as much as he will over the course of his adventure on the First.
Funny that the first named one you meet in the First, Lyna, is (spoilers for EE3 content) a veritable moppet in comparison at a mere 33 years of age.

Sanguinia posted:

Reserving some comments on that but I will say that you won't have enough bicolor gems to buy all the orchestrion rolls by simply ranking all Shadowbringers zones up to max, it's a deliberate grind for those. Also, the ARR zone riding maps were worthwhile before they added flight to all zones in patch 5.3, it's roughly flight speed and that was valuable for tribal quests, gathering, and hunts!

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
At the same time, beyond collector instincts, you...really don't need all orchestrions. They literally only get used for playing in your house, and for when you want to listen to a song but, for whatever reason, don't want to open youtube.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

ProfessorCirno posted:

At the same time, beyond collector instincts

Its a box to check off, Sang's doomed. :ohdear:

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

There is a list with gaps in it and that is unacceptable

(May have burned through all my gil getting materials to make scrolls... again...... yesterday...)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Its a box to check off, Sang's doomed. :ohdear:

:negative:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
On the bright side, the bicolor gem orchestrion rolls are tradable, so you can always pay whatever people want on the market board instead.
Cheapest Sands of Amber on Primal right now is like 473,000 gil.

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
My WoL, D'valen Tia, was carried out of Ala Mhigo when he was around 4-5 by his mom, who was an ex-Fist of Rhalgr turned rebel against the mad king, and his aunt who actually raised him to that point. The aunt got injured while they fled to Gridania, but the first conjurer they could get to refused to treat her being Ala Mhigan and gave an excuse about how they wouldn't dare upset the Elementals by treating an Ala Mhigan. This was one of his earliest memories, and gave him a chip on his shoulder about Gridania.

Many years later, he an his mom fought with the allies as adventurers during the battle at Cateneau, but his mom disappeared when the Calamity hit, and D'valen was critically injured and spent the next few years recovering at Camp Bronze Lake followed by staying with a doctor friend of his mom's. He was originally planning on going to Ul'dah, and would have never considered Gridania, if some dude hadn't offered him money to track down a pair of rich kids, who had ditched their bodyguards, and make sure they got to their destination in Gridania. He wasn't excited by the prospect, but hey he needed money for a new weapon, and he had heard there was a lancer guild in Gridania. Should only be a short diversion...

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly I initially never thought of a RP backstory for my WoL, specially since I switched races over the years.

Nowadays as a Hellsguard I just headcannon my WoL is from some backwater village in Alabathia's Spine who just went out to see places, which will never be a problem in canon cause we ain't seeing any more of Alabathia's Spine besides the Diadem and the Sea of Clouds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I just made my dude as close to a self insert as I could (although I should be a midlander not a highlander) and that's about it. My retainers look just like my main dude. I don't RP so I don't really have a backstory.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

She's from the Brume and a merchant's daughter.

Not the WoL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I don't really do online RP, though I used to play in person D&D when I was younger, but I have terminal fanfic brain and if I'm going to inhabit a customizable character for 300+ hours you bet your rear end I'm filling in those blank spaces.