Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Cranappleberry posted:

thought Scoop would be about litter box cleaning technique. 0/10

One review described it as "self-congratulatory", acting like they were breaking the story of the century, rather than something that spawned a bunch of jokes but left Andrew with all the privileges of royalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Is anyone else watching Ripley? It's pretty bone chilling

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Basically every woman I know was super hyped about it, going to watch it just for Andrew Scott unless someone says it's trash

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
We're talking about it in the pop culture thread. The majority opinion is in favour. I quite like it - the lead is eerily twitchy and awkward.

And while I'm here, a question about the first episode: Greenleaf mistakes Ripley as a classmate of his son. I know how this happens in the other versions, but here it just seemed to be a random mistake. Did I miss something?

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 9, 2024

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I like it but I'm confused. At some point they go into space, right?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was 3 episodes into Ripley when I said to myself "This really seems familiar, like I've seen it before" and that's when I realized it's Talented Mr. Ripley. Took 3 episodes. #DetectiveMedullah

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wrong franchise, this is the one about the guy who solved the mystery of the fur-bearing trout

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I assumed it was about the believe it or not guy lol.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I also thought it was an Alien thing at first, and I love the Damon movie. Saw it in a theater with my dad as a teen, that was fun.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Every time I see the name "Ripley" out in the wild I automatically assume it's related to Believe it or Not even though that's literally never been the case

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

it’s lore that the believe it or not guy was Ellen’s grandfather

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

drat, grandpa would have loved this Alien.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

"Hmm, what would my grandfather do in this scenario??"

*beats the xenomorph to death with an oar*

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The D in Detroit posted:

Every time I see the name "Ripley" out in the wild I automatically assume it's related to Believe it or Not even though that's literally never been the case

In GTAV the Ripley's Believe It Or Not equivalent is called Bishop's.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

nonathlon posted:

And while I'm here, a question about the first episode: Greenleaf mistakes Ripley as a classmate of his son. I know how this happens in the other versions, but here it just seemed to be a random mistake. Did I miss something?

I thought the implication was that the real Tom Ripley was some unremarkable kid who no one ever noticed and is now probably dead.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zone of Interest is up on HBO now

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just finished Frieren at the Funeral, it's the best show I saw all year, sorry Shogun

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
My wild take but McGregor is the only watchable part of the new Road House. He’s just so loving wild and out there. And the way he walks. I can’t explain it, he’s not good, but I am so utterly curious what he does next in every scene because I truly have no idea what is going to happen. I imagine he’s not acting and this is just who he is as a person.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Idk he just kinda looked bloated and gross to me. I didn't even particularly hate him before watching the movie

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

a youtube tumbnail caught my eye the other day with the title "Conor McGregor in ROADHOUSE acting like a PS2 character for 2 min straight" and I thought.. yeah that sums it up

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Just finished Ripley. I've never read the novel or seen the 1999 film adaptation, but I really enjoyed it. It was refreshing seeing a crime thriller focused on the killer that didn't involve him being some sort of genius that was constantly one step ahead of the police. A lot of the tension comes from the patient observation of Tom fumbling around as he tries rather ineptly much of the time to avoid getting caught. The show runners did a good job of leaving you on the edge of your seat wondering how much of his survival would be the result of him committing his crimes in 1960s Italy and dealing with its unsophisticated police system and how much would result from his own cleverness.

The one real problem I had with the plot in the end was the final meeting between Tom and Inspector Ravini in Venice. It really strained belief to have this shrewd detective not recognize his main suspect whom he had interviewed twice because of a wig, fake beard, and low lighting. From some brief reading on the novel and 1999 film, this encounter seems to be unique to this adaptation? If so, it was definitely a misstep. Still, given the final scene, I would definitely watch a season 2 featuring Ravini continuing to hunt Tom.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

fallout sure is a tv show

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

A MIRACLE posted:

I've only seen one episode and it suffers from the same thing every streaming show has now where because it doesn't have to fit within the constraints of a TV schedule every scene goes on too long

The raiders attacking the vault, the Brotherhood nerd being dressed down, Goggins waking up...every scene is double the length that it should be, nothing is left on the cutting room floor, which makes stuff that should be snappy and fun fall flat because they drag it out, what could have been a tight 45 minute intro is a 76 minute slog. It's like every streaming exec saw stranger things with its bloated 70+ minute episodes and took all the wrong lessons from it

Also basic editing mistake to cut to the Brotherhood guy doing stuff in a nondescript field, the first time you the viewer should see the wasteland should OBVIOUSLY be the first time the main character does, that's just an obvious storytelling miss

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

Just finished Ripley. I've never read the novel or seen the 1999 film adaptation, but I really enjoyed it.

The one real problem I had with the plot in the end was the final meeting between Tom and Inspector Ravini in Venice. It really strained belief to have this shrewd detective not recognize his main suspect whom he had interviewed twice because of a wig, fake beard, and low lighting. From some brief reading on the novel and 1999 film, this encounter seems to be unique to this adaptation? If so, it was definitely a misstep. Still, given the final scene, I would definitely watch a season 2 featuring Ravini continuing to hunt Tom.

That stood out for me too. It's a weird thing to invent and insert into the story, unnecessary. It was a good disguise but ... come on.

Something other things I liked about Ripley:

* The characterization of minor figures in the story. The overly friendly hotel clerk, the one that clearly can't be bothered, the cop who clearly didn't want to find the body, the sullen housekeeper ... there's a lot of details there. Ravini could have cracked the case but he just didn't like the dogwalker.

* There's lots of twitches and silences and glances from all the characters. People aren't perfectly composed. It adds to the atmosphere.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Netflix has done incalculable damage to both movies and TVs by inventing the formula of 480 minute "prestige-ish" TV shows that should have been a 90 minute movie. Such dogshit.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

Netflix has done incalculable damage to both movies and TVs by inventing the formula of 480 minute "prestige-ish" TV shows that should have been a 90 minute movie. Such dogshit.

It's crazy how padded almost every single one of their shows feels

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Wasn't Ripley originally made for Showtime?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I liked the first episode of Fallout well enough, but they definitely should have held the Brotherhood of Steel stuff until the second episode.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The cast of Ripley is so completely inferior to the 99 movie its hard to get through. The main guy looks like he's 40+

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

banned from Starbucks posted:

The cast of Ripley is so completely inferior to the 99 movie its hard to get through. The main guy looks like he's 40+

Since I didn't know the story I didn't notice his age at all. I don't think there's anything in the setup that demands that he be young?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

banned from Starbucks posted:

That's cause he's almost fifty. But also, the 99 cast was an all-timer.

Boy of Joy
Sep 28, 2001
I thought I was dead. But I think I'm Cleopatra, too.
With all the Ripley buzz I somehow have never watched anything related to it so I recently watched Purple Noon, the French one from ‘60, and it was pretty good! Also Alain Delon is the hottest man to ever grace the silver screen, good grief. I should probably check out the 90s film

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.
Speaking of Alain Delon, Le Samouraï (on Max and Tubi) is a banger

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Enos Cabell posted:

I liked the first episode of Fallout well enough, but they definitely should have held the Brotherhood of Steel stuff until the second episode.

IMO I got a very strong sense that this is how the original cut of the season played out, with more stuff in the Vault that was cut.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

nonathlon posted:

That stood out for me too. It's a weird thing to invent and insert into the story, unnecessary. It was a good disguise but ... come on.

Something other things I liked about Ripley:

* The characterization of minor figures in the story. The overly friendly hotel clerk, the one that clearly can't be bothered, the cop who clearly didn't want to find the body, the sullen housekeeper ... there's a lot of details there. Ravini could have cracked the case but he just didn't like the dogwalker.

* There's lots of twitches and silences and glances from all the characters. People aren't perfectly composed. It adds to the atmosphere.

Re characterizations: I love that basically every character, except for Dickie, his family and that one landlady seem to have an inherent distrust of Ripley. Watching people's faces fall as he walks away became one of my favorite running gags.

Re twitches and glances: The quick head shake the housekeeper gives Dickie in Atrani when she's serving drinks to the Mafia guy was a small moment that I actually rewound to see again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A MIRACLE posted:

Yeah a good one

“Imm trying to ta eat mah beans!!!!!”

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

im on episode 5, it is extremely fallout-y. walton goggins is pretty funny as usual. gonna finish it today probablyt

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Good bit in the Fallout TV show to have Michael Rapaport play a bloodthirsty member of a fascist cult

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Bad bit to have Michael Rapaport's corny wannabe beastie boy rear end appear anywhere tho tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

they nail the setting and the CGI looks awesome (on my laptop)