Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Nullsmack posted:

My favorite part of that is where it implies the holographic people are replicated meat puppets driven by tractor beams. But on screen they should've ragdolled if they exited the holodeck too far instead of just dissipating.

I’d assume that when the hologram interacts physically with someone, it replicates a meatsack, but if it’s just interacting with other holographic objects and such photons and force fields suffice.

Or something.

Phy posted:

Imagine?? What do you think Boimler has to clean out of the biotraps?

Jizz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

It just replicates a bag of mostly water.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blue Moonlight posted:

I’d assume that when the hologram interacts physically with someone, it replicates a meatsack, but if it’s just interacting with other holographic objects and such photons and force fields suffice.

The fluff and shows seem to indicate that holodecks became more forcefield-and-projection based over time as technology advanced, and in the process got more capable and also easier to make and run.

It seems like initially the holodeck didn't really use projections much at all: the wall was all 3D holoscreens and everything inside the walls was replicated and manipulated with tractor fields. Then they began just 3D projecting things you weren't actually touching, and then some of the things you interacted with were forcefield-based instead of replicated, and so on, until later on it seems like holodecks are mostly just forcefields and projections and relatively little replication.

(I've techwanked that even in the later days, the way that a forcefield-based projection has the proper tactile feel and warmth is that it's a forcefield shape with a replicated layer on top to give you the right feel. So later on it's less meat puppets and more meat balloons, which puff into virtually nothing if the power is cut. Since from a sciencey point of view it seems much easier to do that than have a forcefield that can arbitrarily perform all types of the trillion complex atomic-scale interactions at once that tactile sensation involves, in any arbitrarily dynamic shape. But that's just my idea.)

Nullsmack posted:

My favorite part of that is where it implies the holographic people are replicated meat puppets driven by tractor beams. But on screen they should've ragdolled if they exited the holodeck too far instead of just dissipating.

I assume that the glowing dissipating in that episode is basically the holodeck version of a fancy animation when you close a window on your computer. They were still in range of the holodeck manipulators but it's set up to autoremove anything that moves past the door with a neat swoosh effect.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 11, 2024

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Imagine one of the meat puppets clipping through a wall
Imagine?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Cojawfee posted:

You get too far from the origin of the holoprogram and the characters start warping all over the place as floating point errors stack up.

Star Citizen is still in alpha in the 24th century. Early days, people. They had to first invent holodecks before development could start in earnest.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Imagine?

It’s just like my government job where we always casually say sassy stuff to each other and look at memes

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Black Alert!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Unkempt posted:

Black Alert!

Y'know, I'm pretty sure the original intention for Black Alert was 'we're about to do something classified not everyone on the ship is authorised to know all about, unauthorised personnel remove yourself from necessary areas', but because it was the thing they said before the Spore Drive the writers kept it as the thing they say before Spore Drive even now the original meaning doesn't apply. (hell, given Discovery's production issues, there might not be anyone left from back then)

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

It's actually a fond reference to Lt.Black, the officer that invented it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
It makes a cool sound

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I hope one day we hear what the hell was happening behind the scenes of stuff like Discovery and Picard.

TuxedoOrca fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 11, 2024

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The next volume of the Fifty Year Mission should be entertaining.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
So, how many of these new characters we met during the meet n greet are backdoor intros for main characters in Academy series?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

swickles posted:

So, how many of these new characters we met during the meet n greet are backdoor intros for main characters in Academy series?

Tilly’s crush, definitely.

EDIT: It makes no sense, but drat make Oded Fehr a regular.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
‘Star Trek’ Origin Story Movie Will Be Set Decades Before 2009 Film

CinemaCon 2024: The new project will be produced by longtime “Star Trek” steward J.J. Abrams

https://www.thewrap.com/star-trek-prequel-toby-haynes-seth-grahame-smith-announced/

Paramount Pictures is ready to boldly go (again).

After rumors circulated earlier this year, Paramount has officially announced a new “Star Trek” prequel film, this time taking place decades before the original 2009 “Star Trek” film. “Andor” director Toby Haynes will direct from a script by Seth Grahame-Smith (who is also writing another hotly touted CinemaCon title – the third “Now You See Me” film). J.J. Abrams is returning to produce.

But then again we’ve heard about a new “Star Trek” movie before.

Now, we are finally getting word of another film in development, with another writer/director team. But it’s not the first time that a “Star Trek” prequel script has been floated, as Erik Jendresen, co-writer of “Mission: Impossible: Dead Reckoning,” had submitted a script for “Star Trek: The Beginning” before J.J. had taken over and pitched his 2009 version. It depicted the Earth-Romulan War.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
there have been so many false starts on another Star Trek movie post-Beyond that at this point I won't believe it's happening until it actually starts filming

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, Earth-Romulan War sounds like a cool setting but I’ll believe in a new Trek film only when I’m actually sitting in the theater waiting for the production logos to start scrolling by.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The puzzle part was interesting. Rayner meeting the crew was fun.

The relationship stuff dragged rear end.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

FoneBone posted:

there have been so many false starts on another Star Trek movie post-Beyond that at this point I won't believe it's happening until it actually starts filming

With studio's current trend of tossing out nearly done things for fun, I won't believe it until its actually out.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The relationship stuff dragged rear end.

rayner understanding that bosses who wanna be friends, or worse 'a family', are loving creeps is a nice change.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

boo boo bear posted:

rayner understanding that bosses who wanna be friends, or worse 'a family', are loving creeps is a nice change.

It did strike me as real funny that the council is so mad at him, “yeah he just spent 30 years as a wartime captain but times are different now”. Are they really? Maybe don’t give him the delicate top secret or diplomatic missions but you really can’t find something out on the frontier for a little more rough and tumble leader?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I do find it amusing how we were just discussing that Disco does an OK job of using the Volume, and then in 5x03 down in the caves its painfully obvious that it’s basically the modern-day version of this from TOS: a very nice painting with a bunch of crap superimposed.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Are we supposed to think Captain Raynor is secretly working with the thieves the whole time? Because it really felt like Captain Raynor was working with the thieves the whole time. They "monitor starfleet communications" to routinely plunder the gravity graveyard patrolled by Raynor. They know they have exactly 8 minutes to finish up. Once he's off the mission Raynor is being a creepy dude spying on Tilly and Adira. The baddies are constantly one step ahead despite being 2 people with no backup, against a much larger force of very clever people working together.

Someone has to be feeding them information. And it has to be someone on Raynor's ship. And Raynor is the only person from that ship that we meet.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Blue Moonlight posted:

I do find it amusing how we were just discussing that Disco does an OK job of using the Volume, and then in 5x03 down in the caves its painfully obvious that it’s basically the modern-day version of this from TOS: a very nice painting with a bunch of crap superimposed.

That is a very nice painting, mind

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Can they get Book something else to wear? Something that looks a little more formal and in keeping with the uniformed crew he’s working with/turning up to places with?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Blue Moonlight posted:

Well that's the right way to use it

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

That is a very nice painting, mind

Not so nice for mustachio'd men named Kirk.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Gonz posted:

Per the TNG Technical Manual:

Yes but how do you put lubricant on a forcebeam? Won't it sizzle off? How do you get the textures right?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

The Last Call posted:

‘Star Trek’ Origin Story Movie Will Be Set Decades Before 2009 Film

CinemaCon 2024: The new project will be produced by longtime “Star Trek” steward J.J. Abrams

https://www.thewrap.com/star-trek-prequel-toby-haynes-seth-grahame-smith-announced/

Paramount Pictures is ready to boldly go (again).

After rumors circulated earlier this year, Paramount has officially announced a new “Star Trek” prequel film, this time taking place decades before the original 2009 “Star Trek” film. “Andor” director Toby Haynes will direct from a script by Seth Grahame-Smith (who is also writing another hotly touted CinemaCon title – the third “Now You See Me” film). J.J. Abrams is returning to produce.

But then again we’ve heard about a new “Star Trek” movie before.

Now, we are finally getting word of another film in development, with another writer/director team. But it’s not the first time that a “Star Trek” prequel script has been floated, as Erik Jendresen, co-writer of “Mission: Impossible: Dead Reckoning,” had submitted a script for “Star Trek: The Beginning” before J.J. had taken over and pitched his 2009 version. It depicted the Earth-Romulan War.

Does JJ producing something not just mean his name is on it but he doesn't have much day to day input?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Does JJ producing something not just mean his name is on it but he doesn't have much day to day input?

It could mean that. It could mean he's actively involved and giving notes, and his notes are backed by "I'm the one paying the bills around here". You can't tell from the title "producer" alone.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Depends how busy he is with the back to the future reboot

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Azhais posted:

Depends how busy he is with the back to the future reboot

Zemeckis said they’d do that over his dead body though?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale own the BTTF IP and as far as I can tell, they've both said no reboot will happen while they still draw breath.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Jesus Christ, JJ Abrams is gonna murder those guys

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I thought Abrams had been relegated to the Mattel cinematic universe making Barney vs Hot Wheels or something.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
lol Disco went to a quarry and found a gorignak

Also there's a terrible day-for-night filter for...reasons??

Edit: co-starring Oyin Oladejo and Emily Coutts as Commanders Not Appearing In This Episode

CPColin fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Apr 12, 2024

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Apollodorus posted:

Star Citizen is still in alpha in the 24th century. Early days, people. They had to first invent holodecks before development could start in earnest.
Good news on that front: Engineers recreate Star Trek's Holodeck using ChatGPT and video game assets

Spoiler alert: They didn't.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Turns out everything on the holodeck is actually being built, acted, and filmed by a bunch of low-paid actors on a frontier world.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

"Computer."

*rustling sound* "Hello, thank you for calling Enterprise customer support. My name is Zora. I want to let you know that our conversation today may be recorded for quality and training purposes. Whom do I have the pleasure of speaking to this evening?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I really hope the next episode of Discovery opens with "Okay cool, with this bug they planted on you that our hyper advanced security system immediately detected, we can plant false leads to capture those two."