Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

R.D. Mangles posted:

Hi this is Shohei Ohtani, the guy who very famously doesn't speak English. I have two exciting pieces of information for you: One, I speak perfect English now. Two i have some enormous financial transactions

I mean, there are reports out there that Ohtani does have a solid grasp on the Enlish language. He just used Ippei to gently caress with the media. And to not talk to anyone else as well, I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Sydin posted:

SI fired almost all of their writing staff and are just churning out AI slop these days, they are absolutely not a reputable source.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Add it to Pyrex and Instapot for companies that are poo poo now thanks to LBOs and whatnot.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Take the mask off Ippei and it's actually Bugs Meany

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

if it's ok with everyone I am going to keep making jokes about shojei being an obsessive gambling degenerate when I can think of one I think is funny.

:same:

Also can banging and Ryan Braun blaming his hot piss on antisemitism

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

It's easy for me to assume that Ohtani uses all his time and brainpower for baseball and would much rather pay someone he trusts to handle mundane things like paying bills.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

On April 5, MIZUHARA made a $1,000,000.00 bet on the Washington Generals with BOOKMAKER A. On April 6, he sent a text message to BOOKMAKER A that “I thought they were due”

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

On April 5, MIZUHARA made a $1,000,000.00 bet on the Washington Generals with BOOKMAKER A. On April 6, he sent a text message to BOOKMAKER A that “I thought they were due”

lol

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Strider has a torn UCL, Max Fried's ERA is 18, and Acuña has no homers and a .632 OPS

Braves are in first place

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

mcmagic posted:

Does Ohtani know that he's doing billionaires a huge favor with the way he structured his contract?

He did himself favors too, win win

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Luigi Thirty posted:

oh no

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Encyclopedia Brown references in TYOOL 2024 :allears:

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Luigi Thirty posted:

lmao

R.D. Mangles posted:

shohei ohcani

:prepop:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

:same:

Also can banging and Ryan Braun blaming his hot piss on antisemitism

Hmm Ohtani is cool unlike that rear end in a top hat Ryan Braun.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Ippei Mizuhara might just be the lousiest gambler that has ever existed. Just absolutely godawful at the whole thing.

And this counts the gambler who slumped over and died on the train after talking about card games with Kenny Rogers.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Gonz posted:

Ippei Mizuhara might just be the lousiest gambler that has ever existed. Just absolutely godawful at the whole thing.

And this counts the gambler who slumped over and died on the train after talking about card games with Kenny Rogers.

I mean Jordan got his dad murdered, don’t think we’re on that level yet

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
On the one hand, a young sports billionaire being an idiot with money is a tale as old as time, and far simpler than multiple federal agencies playing along in a massive conspiracy to cover up his crippling gambling addiction by framing his innocent agent (who is a compulsive liar and also that's totally unrelated).

On the other hand, the jokes have been good so far.

Also with this revelation, Ippei is potentially safer in American federal prison than he would be returning to Japan as Baseball Judas to Shohei's Baseball Jesus. Lmao

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

N: Rangers lose yet again.
V: Baseball really is just 162 chances for fans to be mad, isn't it?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
LoLstros

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It's great we're missing our entire rotation because it makes coming up with excuses so drat easym

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I didn’t watch but you dont give up…uh that many runs in one IP unless you’re tipping

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

zoux posted:

I didn’t watch but you dont give up…uh that many runs in one IP unless you’re tipping
:ironicat:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Just even more proof (as though we needed any) that Dusty Baker was the greatest manager that ever lived

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
More like CANSas

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
For what it's worth, apparently the account Ippei was using to skim cash was specifically the one Ohtani used for charity.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Captain Log posted:

For what it's worth, apparently the account Ippei was using to skim cash was specifically the one Ohtani used for charity.

Using rich people's definition of charity there was nothing illegal done.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eric the Mauve posted:

Just even more proof (as though we needed any) that Dusty Baker was the greatest manager that ever lived

It was all Maldy

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

bawfuls posted:

That was an all time postseason memory for me, will never forget how fast 56,000 people went from despair to elation in that moment

I was there baby, and it was my 25th birthday, too!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1778498360565014574

I have no idea anymore

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

At some point, Ohtani probably told all those accountants, financial guys etc. "I don't give a poo poo about money, talk to Ippei, he''ll let me know if it's important"

Mizuhara is more personal assistant than translator anyways. He's a Japanese dude in LA. He has exactly zero need to speak English at all if he actually cared to deal with stuff himself. He can find Japanese bankers, lawyers, accountants, doctors, etc. if Ippei was handling stuff for him it was because Ohtani didn't care, not because of language. The only people he has to talk to in English are the team and media.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Honestly it's a bit telling that the bookies just assumed Ippei must clearly be making proxy bets for Ohtani. This is also presumably why they extended him so much credit. Wonder how many pro athletes are actually making bets this way, presumably with much better obfuscated financial trails.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
this is a good point:

https://twitter.com/AndrewBrandt/status/1778525326660034672

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Pretty sure you don't get into specifics on those kinds of calls. It's just being used as a sort of MFA check: bank sees a large sum put through, calls you at a known good number to say "hey is this legit?" and if you say yes that's good enough for them.

I think once you get into the millions they may require some in person stuff for wires to go through but it sounds like Ippei took it out in dribs and drabs of thousands/tens of thousands.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to guess that Ippei acted as interpreter over the phone and spoke in Japanese to imitate Ohtani and then in English as himself. It's unlikely some random bank person is going to be able to tell it's the same guy speaking in Japanese/English.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

Honestly it's a bit telling that the bookies just assumed Ippei must clearly be making proxy bets for Ohtani. This is also presumably why they extended him so much credit. Wonder how many pro athletes are actually making bets this way, presumably with much better obfuscated financial trails.
They extended him so much credit because he was always good for it. This was a lot of smaller payments over a period of 2-3 years.

Popete posted:

I'm going to guess that Ippei acted as interpreter over the phone and spoke in Japanese to imitate Ohtani and then in English as himself. It's unlikely some random bank person is going to be able to tell it's the same guy speaking in Japanese/English.
Ippei also set up the account for Ohtani and would likely know all of the answers to security questions (mother's maiden name, street you grew up on, whatever).

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

explosivo posted:

Anyone else here playing Helldivers 2 and did a double take when the new order was on planet VERNEN WELLS?

Yep

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

pseudodragon posted:

At some point, Ohtani probably told all those accountants, financial guys etc. "I don't give a poo poo about money, talk to Ippei, he''ll let me know if it's important"

Mizuhara is more personal assistant than translator anyways. He's a Japanese dude in LA. He has exactly zero need to speak English at all if he actually cared to deal with stuff himself. He can find Japanese bankers, lawyers, accountants, doctors, etc. if Ippei was handling stuff for him it was because Ohtani didn't care, not because of language. The only people he has to talk to in English are the team and media.

Yeah, I think this is where I'm at. The only thing Shohei is guilty of is putting more trust into a dude who didn't deserve it that was clearly warranted. Definitely agree he should fire his agent.

Sydin posted:

I mean, the amount of match-fixing (or if not match-fixing then definitely stat-fixing) that goes on in, say, mid to lower level NBA/College Basketball is an open secret to anyone with even a cursory knowledge of the sport, and given MLB's sudden interest in online betting it only stands to reason some players would want in on that.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Popete posted:

I think the only thing we can say for sure is Ohtani is a certified financial criminal who commits income tax evasion

tax Dodger was right there....

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

(Negligent homicide is a disgrace to the entire common law tradition. It might be as bad as felony murder)

April is a tough month to start baseball in the NE

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

it's not a good point, that guy was all-in on the Ohtani conspiracy when the story broke and he's now desperately trying to find a way to not be wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

He isnt wrong Ohtani is a criminal and his sentence should be playing the rest of his contract out in Houston.