Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

twistedmentat posted:

I'm talking about the scene where Val Looks up and sees the Kaiju Sentinel just blasting everyone and everything, just murdering any mutant purely for their continued existence. The look she has is "jesus christ, is this how much humans hate mutants?"

Oh, I agree with your read on that scene. But you originally said, "People have been saying that this episode proves that Val Cooper is Mystique", and I was responding to that, because my post is talking about Val (maybe Mystique) being very interested in Rogue. That's why people are saying that.

But yeah, the other scene could be evidence that she's not Mystique. But Mystique would still react in horror to that, and Val asking if Rogue accepted being named Queen feels like a Mystique thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I love how all these mutants fled oppression and violence, building a new home for themselves, then immediately decide to establish essentially an unelected monarchy.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

The writing in what if? Season 2 looks so poo poo now in comparison lol.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GateOfD posted:

The writing in what if? Season 2 looks so poo poo now in comparison lol.
I felt like S2 took way fewer risks than S1 did. Which I really don't understand because the whole point of the 'What If..' stories is usually to go hog wild since continuity doesn't matter

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I don’t imagine Magneto will suddenly back slide. I don’t think people really want him as a villain anymore.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

FlamingLiberal posted:

I felt like S2 took way fewer risks than S1 did. Which I really don't understand because the whole point of the 'What If..' stories is usually to go hog wild since continuity doesn't matter

S1 was enjoyable for me. But wanted S2 to push more, but then it felt like a bunch of scraps.
Also was a bit disapointed that they didn't make Spider-man into Kenny, and killed him in every episode, cause he pretty much dies in almost all the what ifs I read that has him in it lol

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Zoobtro posted:

they're going to gently caress it up at some point of course but right now we're in the sweet spot, and it's pretty drat sweet! legit hyped for the 3 part finale.

It isn't bad for shows to give characters time to breathe through. Like the I love you thing from Forge felt totally rushed and unearned.

That said, they do fit a lot in 30 minutes and I respect them for that

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Does anybody watch this with an actual kid? I think we’re forgetting the pacing is meant for 8 year old attention spans. We may all just be miscalibrated.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
What a loving episode, god drat.

I was not sure how to interpret the fact that the pupil of Callisto's eye was shown visibly constricting at around 26:08, but Google informs me this is simply an animation trope signifying that she is very much dead indeed? :confused:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Marsupial Ape posted:

Does anybody watch this with an actual kid? I think we’re forgetting the pacing is meant for 8 year old attention spans. We may all just be miscalibrated.

This episode was tv14 so I don't think it's aimed at 8-year-olds? Maybe teenagers. But I feel like the target audience really is people who were kids when the original show aired. And yeah, the original show was paced like this too.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’m being hyperbolic about 8 year olds, but my point stands.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

MMAgCh posted:

What a loving episode, god drat.

I was not sure how to interpret the fact that the pupil of Callisto's eye was shown visibly constricting at around 26:08, but Google informs me this is simply an animation trope signifying that she is very much dead indeed? :confused:

It should be the opposite tho, right? Like the iris muscles should go slack

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

pupils dilate on brain death, then constrict upon rigor mortis

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A bit more voice actor chat.

TAS Cable had the fuckin' perfect voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylxWmuphQqg

Apparently, he's not actually dead, they just gave TAS Gambit his role instead and made him the X-Cutioner. I...don't really get it, unless it was just a way to respect the OG crew, like keeping Jan's old VA around as Valerie Cooper.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Did they just play "Happy Nation" by Ace of Base? or is it just my computer and is Gambit dead?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

A bit more voice actor chat.

TAS Cable had the fuckin' perfect voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylxWmuphQqg

Apparently, he's not actually dead, they just gave TAS Gambit his role instead and made him the X-Cutioner. I...don't really get it, unless it was just a way to respect the OG crew, like keeping Jan's old VA around as Valerie Cooper.

TAS Gambit does a better Brolin impression.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

wait so was it ever established what Gambit's limitations were charge wise cuz uh
if he could do the whole planet that would make him rather powerful

Alright:

Baseline, Gambit can charge anything of any size so long as it's not living. The bigger the object, the longer it takes to charge, the bigger the boom. The more contact he has with the object, the quicker the charge.

However

They never touched on the this in the show and I'm only spoilering it in case they do: That's Gambit after having had himself nerfed. If he hadn't had Sinister remove bits of his brain and then later completely burned out the higher potential of his power fighting a version of himself that reached that full potential, Gambit's actual powers are just full and free control over potential and kinetic energy, which lets him do way more bullshit than just blow things up. But he can still do that too and without physical contact

thrawn527 posted:

I think it's more her reaction to Rogue being asked to be Queen. She seemed very invested in what Rogue's answer was. As Mystique would be, but why would Val Cooper care that much?

twistedmentat posted:

I'm talking about the scene where Val Looks up and sees the Kaiju Sentinel just blasting everyone and everything, just murdering any mutant purely for their continued existence. The look she has is "jesus christ, is this how much humans hate mutants?"

They could split the difference here and say both Val (welcoming Magneto and the X-Men to the island/fleeing from the Sentinel) AND Mystique as Val (questioning the decision to Magneto in charge and Rogue being his queen) were there.

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 12, 2024

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Sorry, meant to edit

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Did they just play "Happy Nation" by Ace of Base? or is it just my computer and is Gambit dead?

Yes to both. Lol if you look it up on youtube there is a ton of new comments from yesterday on the top rated video for it.

Also, uh, that song has some certain interpretations based on the comments :stare:

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Apr 12, 2024

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Genosha has statues and murals of a mutant supremacist and is, in a very literal way, an ethnostate. It's not a completely thematically inappropriate choice, the most questionable part of it is giving Ace of Base money through royalties.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Marsupial Ape posted:

I have been. He enjoys it, though he did find the last episode “a bit sad”. I do have to pause and explain a lot though he does get it.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I remember thinking when they were in a club earlier in the season that the music seemed a bit generic and not particularly of the 90s and then this episode I was impressed by them popping in a fake Ace of Bass song. Like woah that's pretty spot on, only to find out it was a single from way earlier.

Also uh Ace of Bass had good choons and shite opinions as far as I recall..

Edit: Ah yeah one of em was a Neo Nazi skinhead in the 80s. Fuckin hell these lyrics

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 12, 2024

Lamont
Mar 31, 2007
Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Shoehead posted:

I remember thinking when they were in a club earlier in the season that the music seemed a bit generic and not particularly of the 90s and then this episode I was impressed by them popping in a fake Ace of Bass song. Like woah that's pretty spot on, only to find out it was a single from way earlier.

Also uh Ace of Bass had good choons and shite opinions as far as I recall..

Edit: Ah yeah one of em was a Neo Nazi skinhead in the 80s. Fuckin hell these lyrics

Hah, I also thought it was a fake Ace of Base song made up for the show, that was an actual track??

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Lamont posted:

Hah, I also thought it was a fake Ace of Base song made up for the show, that was an actual track??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWjCStB6k4o

Edit:

Shoehead posted:

What? a neo-nazi skinhead? I am guessing it is the blond guy? The lyrics make more sense now talking about the brotherhood.

Edit2: Ugggh I never knew and bought their cassetes and cds.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/rm35nr/ace-of-bases-secret-nazi-past

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 12, 2024

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Lamont posted:

Yup.

Skios fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 12, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's 1997, if Ace of Base isn't playing, everyone should be going "Why isn't Ace of Base playing"

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Listening back while looking up that song for that post, it's kind of blatant in retrospect what a signpost that song was.

quote:

Ideas by man and only that will last
And over time, we've learned from the past
That no man's fit to rule the world alone
A man will die, but not his ideas

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Skios posted:

Listening back while looking up that song for that post, it's kind of blatant in retrospect what a signpost that song was.

quote:

Happy nation
Living in a happy nation
Where the people understand
And dream of perfect man
Situation leading to sweet salvation
For the people, for the good
For mankind, brotherhood

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How did we not see the sign

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Dash of Fash

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

zoux posted:

Did you try opening up your eyes?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://x.com/BeauDemayo/status/1778778058180415533

What a vague statement. I wonder what he means by this.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

NikkolasKing posted:

Clearly he’s admitting his involvement in the Cuban Missile Crisis

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fool! Beau DeMayo's car needs no gasoline!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

NikkolasKing posted:

Hmmm, yes, why might a gay black guy identify with a character who has experienced constant bigotry and injustice in their life, and who struggles with how best to deal with those who would oppress them?

It truly is a mystery.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

he was literally posting about how he's from orlando, used to go to Pulse, and knew people who murdered there so yeah

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWjCStB6k4o

Edit:

What? a neo-nazi skinhead? I am guessing it is the blond guy? The lyrics make more sense now talking about the brotherhood.

Edit2: Ugggh I never knew and bought their cassetes and cds.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/rm35nr/ace-of-bases-secret-nazi-past

Ok this makes sense (not the Nazi part, that's new). I also thought this was a fake song that was trying to mimic Ace of Base and it felt era-appropriate.

I can see the success of '97 causing a shift in Marvel's future but I have a hard time seeing Spider-Man or Avengers doing as well as an animation reboot or even something new. Maybe F4 would do well.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

eke out posted:

he was literally posting about how he's from orlando, used to go to Pulse, and knew people who murdered there so yeah

I didn't see that part. Fair enough.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

zoux posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don’t imagine Magneto will suddenly back slide. I don’t think people really want him as a villain anymore.

I think it could go either way, and it'll probably have a lot to do with whether or not theres are any mutants directly responsible for what just happened

Magneto as a hero or anti-hero is definitely a capital T Thing, but at the same time, never underestimate the willingness of long-running stories to revert back to an old status quo