Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Leal posted:

So how did Grandpa end up dying?

Animatronic accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Sloober posted:

you're just unlucky then i got it NP before i had the rest just a few days ago

Before I'd made my first post I spent a whole day fishing, went through like 3 lures and caught over 30 fish without seeing the legend once. After you guys confirmed I was just unlucky I restarted the day and hooked it like 3rd cast. RNG be a bitch.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
On a related note, it can be surprisingly useful to check what bait Willy is selling now and then. Finding baits for like, Ice Pips and Octopus saved me a lot of spare fishing.

Also, making Squid Bait (or Trout bait in spring I guess) in advance can make the relevant festivals much easier/quicker.

I don't thiiink he sells Legendary baits, but if he did that'd be funny too!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Cambria Bold posted:

Pierre [...] capable of getting any.

Assumes facts not in evidence

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Eric the Mauve posted:

Assumes facts not in evidence

A valid point. Okay, at least Pierre managed to marry somebody. That bar is extremely low, but it does exist!

...Although now that you bring it up, I'm imaging a sitcom-esque situation where Pierre is forced to room with Clint after getting booted out and Clint keeps bothering Pierre to find out the secret to how he managed to bag Caroline, unaware that Pierre barely has any more game than him.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
Clint should move from Stardew Valley to a different game.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
He'd fit well in Rune Factory.

Cambria Bold
Jan 1, 2024

Clint would be the kind of guy to play rune factory for the waifus.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

There are so many pairs of broken glasses in the pond I think grandpa was a serial killer.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Anybody been having an issue where neither lightning rods nor solar panels give batteries? It's definitely put a strain on my farm expansion, even though I only really need them for the island at this point.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RandolphCarter posted:

There are so many pairs of broken glasses in the pond I think grandpa was a serial killer.

Tax auditors come annually to inspect the farm. They don't come back...

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Another pair of glasses for the deep.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I turn glasses into quality sprinklers and lightning rods and stuff. :)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Tax auditors come annually to inspect the farm. They don't come back...

Joja corp purchasing agents refused to take no for an answer when they offered to buy the farm. Year after year after year.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

Broken glasses and broken CDs...oh poo poo, grandpa was killing AOL marketers!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
gently caress that stupid loving cave puzzle

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

GotLag posted:

Join us. Thrive.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Zesty posted:

He'd fit well in Rune Factory.

Yes, have him go to Rune Factory 3 and then bring Raven over as his replacement. The valley needs even more redheads

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

GotLag posted:

I just did it in 2-3 minutes by abusing the fact that it gets slower each time you fail. Just fail the first round on purpose a few times and it's pretty easy

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

RandolphCarter posted:

Forget about it, it's Stardew Valley

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I really like the visible fish mod except for how it highlights just how chock full of garbage every pond, lake and waterway is :ohdear:

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

GotLag posted:

Just record a video with your phone or fail it a bunch

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

LLSix posted:

Animatronic accident.

Five Nights At JojaMart

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

flesh dance posted:

I really like the visible fish mod except for how it highlights just how chock full of garbage every pond, lake and waterway is :ohdear:

There's an option in the config to turn off visible trash!

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

HopperUK posted:

There's an option in the config to turn off visible trash!

Somehow I missed this, just changed it, cheers!

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

But how will you see yourself now?

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

boooooo :v:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

RandolphCarter posted:

But how will you see yourself now?

There's a mod for that :smug:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

MehrTentakelnBitte posted:

Still catching up with the thread, but FYI for "halfway" cheaters using the farmer name item spawner: Your Ex* will always say your name and nothing else.

I'm allergic to mod managers, so refuse to use anything SMAPI. The name spawner cheat felt justified because it was a built in "feature", and was limited by finding someone who said your name and how long I felt like bugging them. Obvious cheat, but felt better than just save editing in some money. Gus and Lewis were go to's that got patched, and using the phone is too tedious! Bumped into my Ex in the Halloween maze tho... no time limit and they don't wander? I felt like a super creep irl lol, but they paid for both community upgrades in like 5 min.

*:yikes:I'm doing a completionist run and almost half the spouses come with exclusive items or changes to the town... it's fine, I'll just wipe their memories when I'm done! :V

e: goddamnit, Leah's event only happens outside of Winter, I'm stuck with her for 3 more weeks! orz

Would just like to let you know that SMAPI isn't really a mod manager(there's not even a GUI), it's a mod loader.
Not sure if the difference matters to you, but it's there.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
yeah it just loads them it also tells you if your mods are out of date which i find a helpful feature of it! i had one mod that was out of date and it stopped me from being able to walk through the bus stop map.

fwiw you can cheat items so easily in this game by just like, using a text editor on your save file data, as long as you have one of an item in your inventory you can mod it up to whatever

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man, the warp obelisk for the island needs to be a lot cheaper. It feels so hard to get anything done on the island with how much time it takes just to get morning chores done + travel there. I suppose there is a bit of an intent that you're just supposed to sink some time there and make use of tents/sleeping at the island house, but it feels weird to have to neglect the home farm. Even though I have most stuff under control (grabbers, machines running off automate) I still feel like I have a bit of a control freak thing going on where I want to do morning rounds/check up on things / am paranoid that something will happen when I'm away.

I got this too :smug:

Because it was my buddy who crafted all the staircases.

I am amused by the idea that someone might see this message and go "...wait, I could have done that?"

But holy poo poo I made a half assed attempt to do it legit by bringing bombs and basically going as quick as I could and only made it down to like 50 or so, so I have no idea how you do it legit. I think that might have also even been with some occasional extra time via the time pausing that happens any time my buddy goes into menus and such.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I think there are techniques that force Pam to get to the busstop faster so that you get an earlier start, but that's too much work. No shame in using the staircase trick as I did.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Oxyclean posted:

Man, the warp obelisk for the island needs to be a lot cheaper. It feels so hard to get anything done on the island with how much time it takes just to get morning chores done + travel there. I suppose there is a bit of an intent that you're just supposed to sink some time there and make use of tents/sleeping at the island house, but it feels weird to have to neglect the home farm. Even though I have most stuff under control (grabbers, machines running off automate) I still feel like I have a bit of a control freak thing going on where I want to do morning rounds/check up on things / am paranoid that something will happen when I'm away.

I got this too :smug:

Because it was my buddy who crafted all the staircases.

I am amused by the idea that someone might see this message and go "...wait, I could have done that?"

But holy poo poo I made a half assed attempt to do it legit by bringing bombs and basically going as quick as I could and only made it down to like 50 or so, so I have no idea how you do it legit. I think that might have also even been with some occasional extra time via the time pausing that happens any time my buddy goes into menus and such.

bombs & luck, also you *can* use staircases and still get that comment, i think there's a threshold for it so you can still use them to skip monster lairs (i think it's actually pretty high? like 10). If you get lucky some shafts can drop you like 20 levels

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think there are techniques that force Pam to get to the busstop faster so that you get an earlier start, but that's too much work. No shame in using the staircase trick as I did.

less a technique and definitely not that much work and more "i'm being an annoying little poo poo" because if you stand in front of pam as she exits her trailer, like all NPCs she will get mad and phase through you and also walk like twice as fast. i think this can net you another hour or so, you can also do it on the bus screen but its less useful there

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 12, 2024

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Oxyclean posted:

Man, the warp obelisk for the island needs to be a lot cheaper. It feels so hard to get anything done on the island with how much time it takes just to get morning chores done + travel there.

I was thinking about the price of the obelisks recently and how I rarely end up buying them before the 'perfection rush' because I'm priced out.

Basically I'll never use the mountain/beach ones because they're too expensive to buy when I might still be going round those places. I never end up using the desert one because I already have 10 heart Sandy and all the iridium I need by the time I make it. Ginger Island at least has use for grinding perfection money.

What I'm saying, I think, is that they're generally too expensive to ever be of any actual use to me - despite me having made the purchase multiple times for the sake of perfection.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

Bombs + the "stairs appear more often" buff from the mining mastery statue on a high luck day. I usually only ever use staircases if the floor is one of those long windy ones or an infested one.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Noonsaliwah posted:

I was thinking about the price of the obelisks recently and how I rarely end up buying them before the 'perfection rush' because I'm priced out.

Basically I'll never use the mountain/beach ones because they're too expensive to buy when I might still be going round those places. I never end up using the desert one because I already have 10 heart Sandy and all the iridium I need by the time I make it. Ginger Island at least has use for grinding perfection money.

What I'm saying, I think, is that they're generally too expensive to ever be of any actual use to me - despite me having made the purchase multiple times for the sake of perfection.

I agree. I think the gold cost for them is too high, specifically. For the Island Obelisk, for instance, it takes long enough to get the fruit and Dragon Teeth necessary for the obelisk, and then you gotta get a million(?) gold on top of that? poo poo's expensive!

And the island one is really useful! It saves a poo poo-ton of time! The other ones are fairly meh, but the island one is basically essential!

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

The mountain obelisk is the most useless of them all, since it's warp point is a short walk by either going out the north exit of your farm or using the minecarts to go to the mine which is about just as fast. At least a warp totem makes sense in the case you want to get to the mountains from somewhere inconvenient.

And for the price of warp wand that Krobus sells that thing should just add a button to warp back to the farm instead of taking up the same inventory space as a totem.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i think the obelisks kind of assume you're doing some level of industrialization with like jars or kegs, i tend to start mine fairly early since i believe in spending money buying coal and stuff to ramp faster, like my early game jars are just coal buyers since that's one of the huge obstacles early on. since i fish so much i dont even have to spend produce in them since you can get so much roe to throw in them now. the dragon teeth requirement isnt that bad if you got a burglar ring since the lava lizards drop it fairly regularly. its also worth it when you visit the island to just empty out the entrance room of slimes and lizards since you might net some other goodies like pineapple seeds or heck, mango or banana saplings

stone has become my number one resource issue early game nowadays tbqh. it only ever gets solved when you start up the jade to staircase to stone deconstruction pipeline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
What are you doing that requires so much stone?

The coal nodes in the Quarry have completely solved my coal needs. But I'm not using all that much right now anyway.