Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don’t have proof that Joe Biden made a deal at a crossroads for the presidency, but you can’t prove he didn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

hispanix

blax

chinex

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Michael Penie Jr

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

it is the white lib's burden to educate those backwards hispanics

hey wait where are you guys going you owe us your vote

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

why not latinae

isn't that the right form anyhow

why not latino

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
latinaux

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Al! posted:

latinaux

cajun style

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't have a strong opinion about Sotomayor retiring or not but Supreme Court Justice Kamala Harris would be so loving funny please Santa I've been so good

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Maybe the entire issue of collapsing a diverse range of country/cultural backgrounds into a single term is itself the problem that can be solved simply by not trying to do that

first of all: how dare you

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

docbeard posted:

I don't have a strong opinion about Sotomayor retiring or not but Supreme Court Justice Kamala Harris would be so loving funny please Santa I've been so good

all rise for justice buttigeig

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Al! posted:

all rise for justice buttigeig

this would be pretty funny too

not as funny as

Justice Hillary

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

ELTON JOHN posted:

so i guess biden might be using an executive order to limit asylum seeker entry?

lol

lmbo
"We're told there's a fierce debate internally about the legality and politics of a Trump-like lockdown. But Biden, briefed on polls of rising voter anger, wants a dramatic step."

lol, lmao, vote blue no matter who!!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

docbeard posted:

The United States is also facing the election of a genocidal rapist fascist, but with typical American extravagance, they have two of them

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This was also nice and polite because he wasn't saying that stuff about other Europeans.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Latinx Squad, charge up and roll out!

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

This has to be psyop

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

my bony fealty posted:

not as funny as

Justice Hillary

hillary being nominated and being universally rejected by the senate

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Telluric Whistler posted:

Michael Penie Jr

Not to be confused with Michael Balls Penie, star of "Creed."

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

nothing here in this rulebook that says a donald trump cant be prez and supreme court justice

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm gay and in Texas so I'm around queer Hispanic people and I've heard some of them say Latine

I don't get why it makes some if you guys so mad. Like, nonbinary anglos exist and some of them prefer to refer to themselves with gender neutral language like "they" even though that's not customary usage or whatever.

Nonbinary Spanish speakers also exist, is it really such a big deal if the want to use words like elle, Latine, etc to refer to themselves, like who cares.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hello gay and in texas, i'm al

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1778591668469387305

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
$10 per lb of m&m doesn't sound too terrible

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

alright smart guys: if Sotomayor retires, where the %#K are the dems going to possibly find another lawyer who’s a democrat.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

lol how is it not Doing a Colonialism to invent a neologism because you don't like the rules of a language and would rather impose your ideology on it?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

lol how is it not Doing a Colonialism to invent a neologism because you don't like the rules of a language and would rather impose your ideology on it?

Because You're The Good Guys, here to enlighten educate show them the error of their backwards ways helpfully progressivise their means of speaking, yeah thats it

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Best Friends posted:

alright smart guys: if Sotomayor retires, where the %#K are the dems going to possibly find another lawyer who’s a democrat.

is the obvious choice for the future of the party.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Idk I've heard Spanish speakers use it.

Is it really inconceivable that, like, queer and nonbinary Spanish speakers exist, and maybe they're having their own conversations about sexuality and gender and language.

Idk maybe they don't have original thoughts of their own and their discussions and thoughts about queerness or gender equality or identity or whatever are all imposed by colonialist Anglos, but I kinda doubt it personally.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Best Friends posted:

It's Nichael's time to shine

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

$10 per lb of m&m doesn't sound too terrible

How much could a banana cost, Michael, ten dollars?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Tbf though my most colonialist opinion probably is that grammatical gender is dumb af and should be gotten rid of already.

Do I really feel like remembering that pens are ladies unless they are ballpoint pens and then they are gentlemen. Or that you need a gazillion demonstratives in three genders to get around in German and they don't even make sense, girls are sexless neuter things sure why not.

Or that (most) Dutch has two genders, but they're not what you think, the two genders are (1) male-or-female and (2) genderless.

This includes English, gendered pronouns are dumb too.

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 04:16 on Apr 12, 2024

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

my bony fealty posted:

not as funny as

Justice Hillary
they make hillary justice

trump wins

hillary loving dies because she’s 77

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Latine's fine. Latinx was abominable though and I will never stop shaming academia for making an exclusively textual term the default spoken notation.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Probably Magic posted:

Latine's fine. Latinx was abominable though and I will never stop shaming academia for making an exclusively textual term the default spoken notation.

Did anyone ever actually try to pronounce that in earnest.

I've only seen it written, I just figured it was the equivalent of other unpronounceable written conventions like s/he

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Latin-ayyyy🤌

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Jawa: Latini

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Hail Latan

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

VitalSigns posted:

Did anyone ever actually try to pronounce that in earnest.

I've only seen it written, I just figured it was the equivalent of other unpronounceable written conventions like s/he

They said Latin-Ecks, and I halfway expected Vin Diesel to explode out of a wall.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

I'm gay and in Texas so I'm around queer Hispanic people and I've heard some of them say Latine

I don't get why it makes some if you guys so mad. Like, nonbinary anglos exist and some of them prefer to refer to themselves with gender neutral language like "they" even though that's not customary usage or whatever.

Nonbinary Spanish speakers also exist, is it really such a big deal if the want to use words like elle, Latine, etc to refer to themselves, like who cares.

I'm willing to cop to it if I'm dead wrong on how this relates to the Hispanic community but my position is that I'm Filipino and when they tried to make "Filipinx" happen fuckin' nobody in the mother country liked it, not even the local queer community.