Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

geneseed is stored in the balls

But the balls are in the neck and chest and also where they should be.

And it's a guy's job to harvest your neck/chest/normal balls when you get shanked up the rear end by a bunch of grots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Does anyone have the name of that free print RPG, where you're a bunch of marines trying to custode a planet after it's taken over, but before the IDF has shown up? The gimmick is that you're so violently overpowered, that trying to do anything requiring finesse will most likely end in disaster.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Nice Marines?

Abilifier
Apr 8, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it's like planescape but warhammer and instead of the ethical alignments there's the winds of magic

Really? Planescape and the Great Wheel cosmology were actually pretty cool. The more people in this thread talk about AoS the more I want to learn about it. Is there like a lore channel on youtube or a podcast that talks about this? I'm not sure I want to jump into buying a book just yet.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

XeeD posted:

What if they paint the spores red?

Actually, is there a non terrible youtube that plays out a tabletop game without being insufferable nerds about it?

I don’t mind SN battle reports who mainly do Horus heresy stuff. It’s a fine line between long winded and boring nerds and wAcKY 🤪 insufferable nerds. Tabletop tactics in particular seems to have decided to whirlwind slam the latter since I last regularly watched their stuff, they were always on that side of things but holy moly they’ve gotten so much worse.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
So, I visited today and learned more about AoS - it's cool, like the aesthetic has shifted more towards a power-metal, Dark Souls kind of thing? There's like 4 separate kind of spooky ghost/skeleton/zombie/dracula armies. So, yeah, I'm saving up for a Vanguard.

While I was in the store, some dude was complaining to the manager about new people coming into the hobby at the expense of die-hards lmao.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Abilifier posted:

Really? Planescape and the Great Wheel cosmology were actually pretty cool. The more people in this thread talk about AoS the more I want to learn about it. Is there like a lore channel on youtube or a podcast that talks about this? I'm not sure I want to jump into buying a book just yet.

So each plane is relatively normal at the center, eg the realm of fire will be hotter than average but survivable , and then as you get towards the outer edges the laws of that wind start dominating so the realm of light becomes impossibly bright and your brain starts thinking so fast your head explodes. Except for the realm of death, which Nagash took over almost entirely and then tried to do a ritual to funnel all death into him except that blew up and inverted it, so in the realm of Death the fringes start fine and as you get towards the center it gets more and more death-y.

There's a whole bunch of waygates lying around that connect random points between different planes and this is usually what cities and trade routes get built around.

The Soulbound RPG does a lot for fleshing all this out and there's a writeup that sums up the lore in the trad games forum, specifically the Fatal And Friends review thread. Full of random cool bits. For example, the realms are so different that it's hard to nail down a currency, but one of the most widely accepted things is healing water from the realm of life. The realm of death has entropy out the wazoo so things break down fast, but that means that goods exported from the realm of death tend to be extremely durable since that's their baseline.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Elukka posted:

Nice Marines?

Exactly that, thanks!

naem
May 29, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

While I was in the store, some dude was complaining to the manager about new people coming into the hobby at the expense of die-hards lmao.

this will always be the single biggest problem with any hobby really but games in general

why would you be mad to have more people to do fun stuff with? would it really be better to have the same 3 guys to min max power game at and remove all possibility of fun or new experiences? can those three guys single handedly keep a games store in business? at the prices they charge they might actually

what if GULP a GIRL showed up??

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

How are chainswords powered, do they have little chainsaw engines and pull strings or do they use rechargeable batteries. It would suck to have to change a battery in the middle of chopping up big angry orks

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
little chainsaw engine but a switch, not a pullcord

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Smugworth posted:

How are chainswords powered, do they have little chainsaw engines and pull strings or do they use rechargeable batteries. It would suck to have to change a battery in the middle of chopping up big angry orks

Given the setting the answer is almost certainly 'either or both, depending'. There's likely a zillion models of chainswords within the Imperium alone.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Abilifier posted:

Legends of the Painty Men

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

naem posted:

this will always be the single biggest problem with any hobby really but games in general

why would you be mad to have more people to do fun stuff with? would it really be better to have the same 3 guys to min max power game at and remove all possibility of fun or new experiences? can those three guys single handedly keep a games store in business? at the prices they charge they might actually

what if GULP a GIRL showed up??

Because in their facile minds, the more people in the hobby, the more light gets shined on the grosser stuff and they're desperately afraid of change. The want things to remain exactly as they were when they got into the hobby at 15. How are they going to play a game with their 3d printed titty models if a girl shows up?

DnD is further along this route since Critical Roll brought a lot of newcomers to the hobby years ago and the regressives are getting to the mask off stage of their complaining.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
some peeps play wargames to make the little dudes whack the other little dudes, some peeps play wargames because they have a problem with violence and they're trying to sublimate it

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Elukka posted:

Nice Marines?

i feel like the ultramarines and the salamanders can actually do that kinda stuff because they usually arnt cut off from family or friends and tend to actually care about the people they protect. its nice.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the ultramarines are trained exhaustively in ruling and government, so salamanders it is

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like the ultramarines and the salamanders can actually do that kinda stuff because they usually arnt cut off from family or friends and tend to actually care about the people they protect. its nice.

Sounds weak

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

the ultramarines are trained exhaustively in ruling and government, so salamanders it is

Pretty much the whole deal with Ultramarines is their gimmick is logistics and organisation, so they're boring but hilariously effective in the role that Space Marines have ended up in as semi-independent powers. Even Imperial Fists can manage. IIRC, they actually recruit sometimes from Hive World convicts.

Kinda funny that Blood Angels are probably the worst on a bad day but apparently are overall actually among the nicest and even most humble Space Marines- since they know they have major issues, they have a unique measure of humility compared to other brainwashed super-soldiers and can sympathise a little better with human beings.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there's a lot of fully-intended irony because the original terms of horus's rebellion included that space marines and primarch should rule over baseline humans as the completely normal-sounding casus belli in addition to the space hell stuff

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So the latest Custodes codex has just dropped female Custodes into the canon without any commentary. Just tweaked the existing lore to use gender neutral terms and has some lore blurbs and art with female characters without making a big deal about it.

JAMES WORKSHOP! :argh:

Just kidding it owns actually.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I am so ready for the flame wars this is going to start

also can't help but notice this happens the same day Iran launches a drone attack on Israel. COINCIDENCE?!?!?!?!

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Pretty much the whole deal with Ultramarines is their gimmick is logistics and organisation, so they're boring but hilariously effective in the role that Space Marines have ended up in as semi-independent powers. Even Imperial Fists can manage. IIRC, they actually recruit sometimes from Hive World convicts.

Kinda funny that Blood Angels are probably the worst on a bad day but apparently are overall actually among the nicest and even most humble Space Marines- since they know they have major issues, they have a unique measure of humility compared to other brainwashed super-soldiers and can sympathise a little better with human beings.

Iirc weren't the salamanders the most normal/best to civilians? I even remember reading they got to see their families back at home sometimes

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
This thread inspired me to browse through some wikis to see what’s happened to warhams since I last played in the early 90s and it seems like every single stupid-looking model from that era now has an in-depth lore entry on how it’s actually some super-powered ancient tech? Like that space marine dreadnought model with the poo poo-eating grin has multiple pages written on how it’s actually much better than the recent grimdark versions, and that space marine model with the stupid topknot is apparently now a ‘thunder warrior’ with what looks like an entire book written about him online.

naem
May 29, 2011

the game may take itself a tad too seriously at times but these models look good as heck

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
We posting orks? I just did a couple:

Makari:

Ufthak Blackhawk:

I've since smoothed out and painted the greenstuff on Ufthak.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

stand firm soldiers! a solid bayonet line can disrupt a charge!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Thunder Warriors were the crude genetically enhanced super soldiers the Emperor used to conquer Terra and unite the techno-barbarian tribes. They were stronger than Space Marines but lacked other enhancements and were specifically designed to have short life spans so there wouldn’t be many hanging around after the Emperor controlled the entire planet. The first assignment given to the first Space Marines was to wipe out the last Thunder Warriors.

Some cleverer Space Marines who knew about this worried what it bode for them once the Great Crusade was victorious and the Emperor controlled the entire galaxy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Yvonmukluk posted:

So the latest Custodes codex has just dropped female Custodes into the canon without any commentary. Just tweaked the existing lore to use gender neutral terms and has some lore blurbs and art with female characters without making a big deal about it.

JAMES WORKSHOP! :argh:

Just kidding it owns actually.

People have been saying for years that it shouldn't be surprising that after all the crazy poo poo that it takes to make Space Marines and especially Custodes, gender is probably barely a factor. It's canon that they look freaky under the armour, and just as well they rarely take it off.

Gripweed posted:

Thunder Warriors were the crude genetically enhanced super soldiers the Emperor used to conquer Terra and unite the techno-barbarian tribes. They were stronger than Space Marines but lacked other enhancements and were specifically designed to have short life spans so there wouldn’t be many hanging around after the Emperor controlled the entire planet. The first assignment given to the first Space Marines was to wipe out the last Thunder Warriors.

Some cleverer Space Marines who knew about this worried what it bode for them once the Great Crusade was victorious and the Emperor controlled the entire galaxy.

And heavy implications that they were right to worry! The Emperor was right about one thing, that monstrous brutal super-soldiers aren't really meant for or good at integrating back into civilian life after the war is over.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the watsonian reason given for only-male space marines is that the emperor intended baseline humans to be the main peeps in the empire and intended that the supersoldiers be substantively dependent upon them to exist, so they don't supplant them. fabius bile, for example, doesn't give a single poo poo about that and therefore the new men can be women, too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Say what you want about Fabius Bile and his lab coat made of human skin, he's at least gender affirming.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the doylist reason is that the fem-models of any kind didn't sell and the retailers kept complaining

now, the female models in that era were absolute dog poo poo (bottom center, top right. bottom left for a similarly dog-poo poo-looking assassin, which would be a callidus nowadays)

so i tend to believe that it might be the looking-like-dog-poo poo thing more than it is the ooh-cooties thing that made them not sell. but gw decided that the place in the line for female models is in the sisters, so i guess that's where things are.

does the bad-sales thing still obtain today? the sisters battle sister squad is #110k-th best selling toy on amazon, and the equivalent troop choice sales for space marines are something more like #30k-th best selling toy on amazon, so that's not evidence against. and the battle sisters still don't look that great, lol

in between the doylist and the watsonian points of view are the real-life inspirations for the battle brothers and sisters of battle, which include as large part christian monastic orders of various kinds. you always see monastic vocab cribbed for sticking into the geneforged supersoldiers. and those, of course, are strictly sex-segregated for jesus reasons

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 14, 2024

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Say what you want about Fabius Bile and his lab coat made of human skin, he's at least gender affirming.

With the power of chaos you can affirm all genders at once

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Yeah, I assume with Chaos the tired "I identify as an attack helicopter!" joke isn't really a joke.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

limp_cheese posted:

Yeah, I assume with Chaos the tired "I identify as an attack helicopter!" joke isn't really a joke.

you want obliterators

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Obliterator

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

It's also very common for Titan Princeps to value the Titan as their body over their human body, eventually having their throne replaced with a sealed amniotic tank so they become essentially an organ of the god machine permanently.

The Bible
May 8, 2010

CitizenKain posted:

I've got a couple of friends that are huge into 3d printing. One does mainly doodads and bits for repairing things, the other does 3d figures with resin. As much as I like fiddling with nerdshit, its almost too much work. I got one that was a close out sale from a microcenter and I've made a few small things with it, but its a lot of effort.

Although I do need to print a case for my MiSTER at some point.

I figure my FDM printers are already giving me something that won't have a name for another 10 years. I don't dare add resin on top of whatever horror that is going to be.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
resin has a lot better results usually, its just that its a tad more expensive and fair bit more toxic

The Bible
May 8, 2010

resin has a lot better results usually, its just that its a tad more expensive and fair bit more toxic

Resin is absolutely gorgeous.

But yeah, that toxin part. I'll eventually bite, but I'll get one with some kind of exhaust that I can pipe out a window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
actually having the models around is safe... if you don't have kids around (or adults who eat figurines or whatever). and if you don't ever shave or sand it. etc etc