Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I feel like I blinked and missed something, despite watching the whole thing

What happened to Coopers kid? I saw her at the party in episode one and that was it? Did I miss a scene?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Manwithastick posted:

What happened to Coopers kid? I saw her at the party in episode one and that was it? Did I miss a scene?

Didn't miss anything, it was left unresolved

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Manwithastick posted:

he asked muad'dib "where's my family?" in the last episode, so I imagine we're to believe that his wife took her to a management vault without him

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Manwithastick posted:

Knowing Nolans work, a lot of questions like this will be answered in later seasons.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I guess I will spoil it even if it is from an old game but: The NCR was in rough shape in New Vegas. It obviously it still had an army and central administration, but their gold reserves had been irradiated, and they were now dependent on water as a reserve asset, and the NCR dollar was already the weakest currency in the wasteland. Also, there were pretty enormous splits between the various NCR states over resources and raiding was increasing inside the borders of the NCR itself. Kimball was betting big on New Vegas and the Dam and even by the game started it was clear the NCR was barely handling it. It isn't that crazy if the NCR loses at Vegas one way or another (from what it looks like), then Shady Sands gets nuked, it would fragment. We will see if it actually gets wiped off the face of the map, or that the story continues.

Also, the courier chaos ending would fit what happened to New Vegas, none of the big factions win but the courier isn't able to control the streets, New Vegas isn't nuked, but still becomes a ruin divided by raiders.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I'm finding this show incredibly boring

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

Just finished ep3.

So far this is just a lot of fun. It's the best version of what it is that it could possibly be, I think.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Up to episode 5 and am enjoying it more and more with each episode.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Okay but by the end Lucy doesn't seem to have become a hardened wastelander, as she's unable to kill her literal genocide-performing father (but was able to do a sick 180 no scope mercy kill on her mom) and Max's madness pretty much evaporates once he reconnects with Thaddeus and finds out Thaddeus had basically just been in his shoes and was trying to save himself from getting beat up all the time.

It's season one dude. You don't spend season one describing your characters and then fix them. Also, Max is still very mad as hell. He lost everything on a lie and then everything he thought he gained turns out to be a lie. That dude is gonna kick off BIG.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 5 days!)

you know what i especially like at least about these first 3 episodes is - it's all centered on one plot line. we have different threads to follow here, and in a lot of shows at least one of them would feel like a drag because usually they aren't directly connected and tend to connect up only later on. this can be an especially deflating problem in action/adventure shows like this.

but here, they've tied everybody's storyline into the same 'quest' so everything feels relevant, there's no sense of having to wait for the important part to resume

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I've been able to watch two episodes so far and I'm enjoying it but don't find it super compelling. Not because of lore but because the pacing and plotting feels wonky. The introductory scene with the nukes was excellent but after that everything has been devoid of weight and even the big action scenes have felt low-stakes, akin to a bloodier family adventure/road movie.

In a way that's pretty close to the experience of playing the games so maybe I'll warm up to it, but I was hoping for something a bit smarter or maybe more cinematic when it needs to be. Whoever compared it to Twisted Metal was right. I do dig the humor.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I would say the first episode starts real strong, episodes 2-4 feel like they are from a much lower budget show, and then 5-8 pick back up again.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Whoever pointed out about the injuries to the left feet were right on the money, it's kinda hilarious they commited to the bit.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Doltos posted:

I think a ton of people who played Fallout only played a couple of games out of the series and barely paid attention to the lore. I imagine this show is trying to soak up a lot of those people instead of the ones that are going to freak out if New Vegas isn't remade shot for shot.

I feel seen.

Played 3/NV/4 and didn't think any of them are special. It's a fun world to exist in, but my appreciate only goes about that deep :v:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
how did it become a socio-cultural live wire is something I will never get. A fine if somewhat buggy videogame and people are telling me now that a "proper fallout show" should be about ballot stuffing in the NCR. The body horror stuff was a nice addition. Very important for the people eternally mad at the games for not showing tiddies.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

how did it become a socio-cultural live wire is something I will never get. A fine if somewhat buggy videogame and people are telling me now that a "proper fallout show" should be about ballot stuffing in the NCR. The body horror stuff was a nice addition. Very important for the people eternally mad at the games for not showing tiddies.

Nobody said that, you simply made it up. Damned by falsehood.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the biggest criticism of the show so far isn't the usual "THEY MADE IT WOKE" stuff in it. Its glup shitto tier "why oh why isn't the NCR thriving todd, don't you want society to rebuild?"

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
i think the whining is understandable. 1/2/NV and 3/4/76 had distinct aims but are both tied to a single franchise. they're tonally almost two separate properties.

people wanting more of what the former offered are naturally going to be disappointed in anything the creators of the latter are involved in. i understand Bethesda wanting to continue in what they've established even if it isn't what I'd like from the franchise.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It seems like a lot of people were pissed about the NCR breaking up and Shady sands being moved but honestly I think the later episodes kind of makes this moot because it seems just there is just more story to be had.

Otherwise, beyond episodes 2-4, it ended pretty strong. [spoilerTthe ending shot is literally of at least a somewhat intact New Vegas, it wasn't erased from the Bethesda-verse. There are also Sunset Sarsaparilla ads everywhere as well.[/spoiler]. If people are having issues with identity politics, they are looking for them. If anything, perhaps too many characters are morally grey but it evens out a bit.

Also, I think not only Vault-tec, but most of the main corporations in the universe being on it makes sense. If anything linking them all together solve some issues. In the end, it doesn't really makes sense for the Enclave to exist while the rest of the US government was trying to cool things down unless they are fully backed by American business. The cold fusion capsule is Vault-tec and it ends up in Enclave hands as well. It wouldn't be that different from historical fascism, in all honesty, in Japan/Italy/Germany. If anything, the vault-tec experiments, Big MT, and West Tek make a lot more sense if there was always going to still be a US government around doing the heavy-lifting after the survivors are exterminated.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 12, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
See it can't be that they chose the game with the most high fidelity assets or most popular in terms of people playing it. Its a deliberate slight to people on twitter. Wonder if I would have been fuming instead if it was based on elder scrolls.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The really cool narrative stuff in Elder Scrolls would never be adapted, yes.

Don't think you could do an elder scroll series that would have as much appeal to audiences as this either, flat out.

Big benefit to this series is that the basic vibe and setting of fallout has strong and instant visual appeal to people who never play video games.

People long for the end of all things...

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 12, 2024

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think it's totally and thematically consistent for a series with the tagline "War never changes" to show that we as a species are unable to overcome our violent nature even in the face of assured extinction.

Is it a cynical? Sure. Is it a mean-spirited story to tell? Absolutely. But it's true to the world. No way a renewed democracy gets to thrive unimpeded in a world where people have portable nuclear rocket launchers

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think it's totally and thematically consistent for a series with the tagline "War never changes" to show that we as a species are unable to overcome our violent nature even in the face of assured extinction.

Is it a cynical? Sure. Is it a mean-spirited story to tell? Absolutely. But it's true to the world. No way a renewed democracy gets to thrive unimpeded in a world where people have portable nuclear rocket launchers

Yes this is what I've been saying. Except they also don't tell that story well or really at all, which is what the criticism is. That'd be interesting to see and a cool narrative addition to the story.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It also really depends where they go with it, the show starts off bleak in Fallout 1-type state, but by the end it gets a little more complicated. The NCR just being fine and flying off into the sunset after New Vegas never really seemed earned, and the question becomes: does the universe just reset itself or start moving off in a different direction.

Also, it is a big question what they do with the Brotherhood of Steel because they make it very clear they aren't the good guys but they may end up being a useful foil against Vault-tec and the Enclave.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Sharkopath posted:

Yes this is what I've been saying. Except they also don't tell that story well or really at all, which is what the criticism is.

Except they do?

And they even picked a structure that has multiple concurrent "playthroughs"

Pretty neat poo poo, and damned if I'm not excited for what comes next

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Chronicles of Liebowitz wasn't about people finally rebuilding but actually cyclical?

Ardennes posted:

Also, I think not only Vault-tec, but most of the main corporations in the universe being on it makes sense. If anything linking them all together solve some issues. In the end, it doesn't really makes sense for the Enclave to exist while the rest of the US government was trying to cool things down unless they are fully backed by American business. The cold fusion capsule is Vault-tec and it ends up in Enclave hands as well. It wouldn't be that different from historical fascism, in all honesty, in Japan/Italy/Germany. If anything, the vault-tec experiments, Big MT, and West Tek make a lot more sense if there was always going to still be a US government around doing the heavy-lifting after the survivors are exterminated.

I do like the specific way they show near the end of the show. It also gives walton goggins' character some depth because he goes from johnny appleseed in the pre-war world to becoming a caricature that becomes a wasteland legend.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

BrotherJayne posted:

Except they do?

And they even picked a structure that has multiple concurrent "playthroughs"

Pretty neat poo poo, and damned if I'm not excited for what comes next

The story of the fall of the west coast, not a criticism of the shows narrative in general. This is a different discussion.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Narratively it firmly sets up Vault-Tec as the bad guys based on what Moldaver says. The show gives a glimpse of a functioning society without vault-boy looking down from every poster and then takes it away.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sharkopath posted:

The really cool narrative stuff in Elder Scrolls would never be adapted, yes.

Don't think you could do an elder scroll series that would have as much appeal to audiences as this either, flat out.

Yeah if they do an Elder scrolls they should 100% Daggerfall it up. Five epsiodes of the first season spent getting lost in one dungon only for the hero to figure out that thing they were meant to get in there wasn't actually in there. Than they spend all their gold trying to summon a daedric prince only for it not to work as they got the wrong date.

But also TV show set in Morrowind show could be legit great. Although god would the FX budget have to be high to do the place justice. I say get the Jim Henson's workshop involved in Labyrinth muppet that poo poo up.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

The story of the fall of the west coast, not a criticism of the shows narrative in general. This is a different discussion.

I guess, yeah. I can see that, and I do get why it's frustrating for people who were told "this is a continuation of the game world" because clearly that's not 100% true. It'd be a very goofy way for the show to tell the story like "the old world collapsed, here's the story of people trying to make it by in what came from that" and then add a "but also society had kinda rebuilt but that one also collapsed the exact same way as the old one so watch that as it happens now while we introduce the world state we actually want to tell our story in"

It'd be way too baggy a way to introduce non-familiar people to the setting. They wanted blank slate, ground zero fallout world but Bethesda said "no" it has to keep moving the timeline for whatever reasons so... eh. I also strongly suspect though that now that we've got the "this world is a lawless hellscape" out of the way it makes way more sense to introduce our group to the remnants of the NCR next season for a higher stakes plot line between all the factions vying for control of the new world.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Tankbuster posted:

Narratively it firmly sets up Vault-Tec as the bad guys based on what Moldaver says. The show gives a glimpse of a functioning society without vault-boy looking down from every poster and then takes it away.

They've always been among the bad guys though.

And the NCR beating the Legion but attracting the attention if something sleeping and terrible to me makes sense. Also very curious to see what happens in New Vegas next season, and finding out how the Lost Hills guys metastasized

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tankbuster posted:

See it can't be that they chose the game with the most high fidelity assets or most popular in terms of people playing it. Its a deliberate slight to people on twitter. Wonder if I would have been fuming instead if it was based on elder scrolls.

I wish you'd go yell at the people on Twitter instead because it feels like you have literally nothing else on your mind besides projecting dumbass takes over there onto everyone else here.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I guess, yeah. I can see that, and I do get why it's frustrating for people who were told "this is a continuation of the game world" because clearly that's not 100% true. It'd be a very goofy way for the show to tell the story like "the old world collapsed, here's the story of people trying to make it by in what came from that" and then add a "but also society had kinda rebuilt but that one also collapsed the exact same way as the old one so watch that as it happens now while we introduce the world state we actually want to tell our story in"

It'd be way too baggy a way to introduce non-familiar people to the setting. They wanted blank slate, ground zero fallout world but Bethesda said "no" it has to keep moving the timeline for whatever reasons so... eh. I also strongly suspect though that now that we've got the "this world is a lawless hellscape" out of the way it makes way more sense to introduce our group to the remnants of the NCR next season for a higher stakes plot line between all the factions vying for control of the new world.

Yeah I'd be curious production wise how they settled on the West Coast for the setting. Honestly I think the show would have just been as successful in the Capital Wasteland, with some even stronger visual appeal to people who don't play the games. Those first concept art paintings of the ruined capital were so hype to me as a child. That's why I say "almost spiteful". It's pretty apparent the staff and cast have a lot of love for the setting, so why choose an area that has a lot of baggage and then not engage with that baggage? Very odd decision.

I don't think it was a matter of difficulty of filming locations since they scouted all over, lots of the sets were in New York and even Namibia.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 12, 2024

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Entorwellian posted:

It's been posted already, but I can't tell you how much this brought a smile to my face at the end (major spoiler):

There seem to be quite a few people on social media who’ve forgotten that outside of House’s personal fiefdom on the Strip, Vegas was a broken down poo poo hole. Although here, it seems like the wall is around the entire city, not just the Strip.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah I'd be curious production wise how they settled on the West Coast for the setting. Honestly I think the show would have just been as successful in the Capital Wasteland, with some even stronger visual appeal to people who don't play the games. That's why I say "almost spiteful". It's pretty apparent the staff and cast have a lot of love for the setting, so why choose an area that has a lot of baggage and then not engage with that baggage? Very odd decision.

It's not a matter of difficulty of filming locations since they scouted all over, lots of the sets were in New York and even Namibia.

The Capital Wasteland is just really not as iconic for the setting, it makes a lot more sense for it to be on the West Coast. They also are throwing New Vegas in there so you kind of have to have it start in California.

They also had a issue with the general world state, and part of it is introducing the viewer to the "wasteland". That said, if you watch the entire season, there are a ton of threads by the end from Fallout 1/2 and New Vegas. The problem isn't ignoring the setting, but moving it forward in a way that people don't like but someone was always going to be ticked off.

The NCR got bonked in the head, but even in New Vegas was being setup. People who thought the NCR was doing great in F:NV obviously didn't do any of its quests. I think the problem is that the show didn't follow people's individual playthroughs, which isn't a real criticism, especially since the NCR is the one faction pretty much shown in a mostly positive light if anything.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Also, it is a big question what they do with the Brotherhood of Steel because they make it very clear they aren't the good guys but they may end up being a useful foil against Vault-tec and the Enclave.

Yeah, they left the season on a really interesting note , with the main Brotherhood guy accidentally becoming a brotherhood hero and really not being into it, seemingly to be a bit over the Brotherhood at that point. Season was good in terms of ending with enough closure while still leaving a lot of stuff open for another season. 

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Ardennes posted:

The Capital Wasteland is just really not as iconic for the setting, it makes a lot more sense for it to be on the West Coast. They also are throwing New Vegas in there so you kind of have to have it start in California.

They also had a issue with the general world state, and part of it is introducing the viewer to the "wasteland". That said, if you watch the entire season, there are a ton of threads from Fallout 1/2 and New Vegas.

The NCR got bonked in the head, but even in New Vegas was being setup to some degree. I think the problem is that the show didn't follow people's individual playthroughs which isn't a real criticism, especially since the NCR is the one faction pretty much shown in a mostly positive light.

I think its more iconic in the long run, more people played the Bethesda game as their first, including me. I'm just talking from the perspective of somebody who hasn't played the games either, setting it in the capital or even New York, where they got a lot of the filming done would be super visually arresting in a way that would be great for general audiences.

It's not my favorite movie but theres still a ton of love and memory out there for the Will Smith I am Legend because of its apocalyptic big city vibes.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 12, 2024

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

There seem to be quite a few people on social media who’ve forgotten that outside of House’s personal fiefdom on the Strip, Vegas was a broken down poo poo hole. Although here, it seems like the wall is around the entire city, not just the Strip.

Sure, but The Strip is supposed to glow and poo poo, even from a distance, it's kind of a defining feature.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Whoever pointed out about the injuries to the left feet were right on the money, it's kinda hilarious they commited to the bit.

I counted four instances, I think? the corpse in Vault 32, Dane, Wilzig, and Thaddeus. Yeah, it's good fun.

After a night of sleep, I'm also half-convinced that (end spoilers) Maldover's complete lack of proactivity is a deliberate homage to video-game antagonists who just loiter in their homebase until the climax (while you're out in the wastes kidnapping the guy who you could have kidnapped any time in the past 20 years, Lee, do you want to make a stop at the nearby town of Filly so you can ensure the safety of the helpless scientist who you know is heading there imminently with the priceless cold fusion chip which absolutely everything hinges on? No, you'd rather just head directly home to Griffith Observatory and sit there doing nothing? Sure, makes sense.)

You also have to appreciate how in Episode 1, Maldover has both Hank and Lucy at her mercy, deliberately tests Hank to demonstrate that he loves his daughter more than anything and will sacrifice anything to protect her, and then leaves with only Hank and is afterwards like 'oh, drat, guess I have no leverage to get the codes out of him'

grobbo fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Related: I really appreciate how much of the production design continues to take off of Adam Adamowicz artwork, Bethesda was so gifted to have him work for them and he deserves the respect. Really most of what is memorable visually about fallout nowadays is his designs.