Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

i found this imgur gallery today of fighting game backgrounds and I'll bet you guys would like it. I almost forgot to share this.

https://imgur.com/a/GPlx4
https://i.imgur.com/KZwLV4q.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/Evb2Bp4.mp4

So if multiversus feels gross, here's some fighting game content with ~soul power~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Hitbox is getting dragged pretty good in the comments but also lol good luck suing random aliexpress manufacturers.

https://twitter.com/hitboxarcade/status/1778468157579276575

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This one is so good

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

This one is so good

Yeah but have you considered how much cooler it could be with low poly 3d?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-jKJ5F2K34&t=2013s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Dave posted:

Yeah but have you considered how much cooler it could be with low poly 3d?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-jKJ5F2K34&t=2013s

honestly thats not as good but it does have a vibe

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(

Trillhouse posted:

i found this imgur gallery today of fighting game backgrounds and I'll bet you guys would like it. I almost forgot to share this.

https://youtube.com/@FistsWillFlyatThisLocation

This youtube channel has a bunch of fighting game stages

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I look forward to Hitbox trying to sue keyboard manufacturers

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Endorph posted:

honestly thats not as good but it does have a vibe

Yeah honestly it was way worse in my memories.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Boogalo posted:

Hitbox is getting dragged pretty good in the comments but also lol good luck suing random aliexpress manufacturers.

https://twitter.com/hitboxarcade/status/1778468157579276575

most of the aliex companies just use the PCB design from the open source flatbox github, so if hitbox takes that down then it's gg

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I dont see how that would be gg, it's not like taking down the github page will stop people already using it from continuing. Or from sharing it with others for that matter.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
when's the dissidia 012 revival

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Oh, I guess WBD has figured out how to sell Multiversus to everyone:

By having them sponsor an alternate telecast for a NHL game.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2024/apr/09/multiversus-weird-nhl-crossover/

Event Hubs posted:

MultiVersus is already one of the most eclectic platform fighters out there in terms of roster by mashing up a bunch of different Warner Bros. media properties, but now they're about to dial the weird meter up a few more notches with a different type of crossover.

To apparently help promote the game's upcoming return and full release, a number of the MultiVersus cast will be literally taking over an NHL game this weekend with the team match ups decided.

The MultiVersus NHL Face-Off is set to take place this Sunday, April 14, at the game between the Colorado Avalanche and the Las Vegas Golden Knights.

How they're pulling this off is apparently some sort of alternate telecast of the game with MVS characters mirroring the actions of the actual pro hockey players, so they'll be doing all the same moves and shots, just with cartoon and comic book characters.

According to the official statement, "MultiVersus NHL Face-Off will merge two different tracking technologies — NHL EDGE positional data (NHL Puck and Player tracking) and Hawk-Eye Innovations optical tracking to generate realistic character and player avatar movements to best represent the movements of the NHL players on the ice. The real-time animation will be produced in association with NHL innovation partner Beyond Sports."

[snip]

Considering Space Jam is already a real thing and LeBron James himself is in MultiVersus, you'd think an NBA game would be the place for a sports crossover, but maybe the tech just isn't there yet like they're trying to push for the NHL.

Combined with the recent McDonald's Happy Meal promotion, it seems MultiVersus is trying to get the attention of the younger audience for the game's upcoming re-launch though we're not sure how much of the youth is going to be interested in pro hockey.

WBD is trying to do an alternative kid-friendly cast with the NHL what the NFL has been doing with Disney and Nickelodeon the past couple of years, but uh, lol at tying it to Multiversus

stratego
May 6, 2007

Remember when Magnavox sued everyone for making joysticks ripping off the Odyssey.
This does not seem like a move the FGC would appreciate.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

the crypto-esque rugpull they pulled with the 'beta' crap doesnt help

Endorph posted:

frankly i think if you play it at this point youre a moron. +r is 3 dollars and has robo-ky in it play that

I do agree with your points, but didn't they kind of get screwed over by circumstances? Like, I heard that they were going to add LOTR characters and Godzilla but then Embracer bought the former and the Toho suddenly pulled back the rights on the latter. Is there any truth to that? I do remember there being like a content drought for some time which basically iced its momentum.

I do wonder if those things did not happen, if they actually did, then they would not have done the whole beta closing bullshit.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Apr 12, 2024

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shinji2015 posted:

Oh, I guess WBD has figured out how to sell Multiversus to everyone:

By having them sponsor an alternate telecast for a NHL game.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2024/apr/09/multiversus-weird-nhl-crossover/

WBD is trying to do an alternative kid-friendly cast with the NHL what the NFL has been doing with Disney and Nickelodeon the past couple of years, but uh, lol at tying it to Multiversus

Sounds like great corporate synergy and excellent co-markering opportunities for a wide brand catalog. Where do I sign up!

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

This one is so good

It is like hands down one of my favourite pieces of game pixel art. It's loving beautiful.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I do agree with your points, but didn't they kind of get screwed over by circumstances? Like, I heard that they were going to add LOTR characters and Godzilla but then Embracer bought the former and the Toho suddenly pulled back the rights on the latter. Is there any truth to that? I do remember there being like a content drought for some time which basically iced its momentum.

I do wonder if those things did not happen, if they actually did, then they would not have done the whole beta closing bullshit.
i mean, then that's management's fault for putting all their eggs in stuff they didnt have 100% locked down and papers signed for.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

None of this would impact launching if the game was successful, and would have been signed off years in advance in order to make launch scheduling.

I dont work in games but the game collabs I worked on were 18 months out from launch minimum, with preferences towards 2+ years. Granted I wasnt working with Fortnite which might do faster turn arounds, but they'd still have a content pipeline and have a way to pivot for an unexpected outcome.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

If u can't do rollback this (input lag) is what you end up with to solve the problem. As someone who has never seen the game, the speed doesn't bother me as much as the weird way the character models and effects overlap when they're on top of each other. It's very difficult to read for seemingly no benefit, it looks unrefined.

This isn't input lag. If it's a deliberate design choice to handle network issues, then you'd only do it if it prevented input lag. The tradeoff is that everything is happening slower but it's still responsive.

It's sort of analogous to the principle behind EVE Online's time dilation, that it's better for the game action to slow down but no input lag vs very choppy gameplay and high latency on your UI (ie your inputs)

Given how well rollback works it's still a very odd choice, though, and we're just assuming it's due to network considerations I think?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Can’t really blame them if they took a look at threads like these and decided that trying to appeal to the fighting game market was a losing battle

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how dare those fighting game players not like scams that are also bad games. bugs bunny is there

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Endorph posted:

how dare those fighting game players not like scams that are also bad games. bugs bunny is there
gamers are so entitled nowadays smh

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
People would def be willing to overlook the scam part if the game was good but lol. lmao

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I had fun with MVS, enough to toss five, ten bucks at them at the time (before everything went to poo poo), but they've definitely earned this kind of scrutiny. I mean, Tekken 8, MK1, and SF6 have all gotten a bunch of criticism for their DLC/GaaS practices, and SF6/T8 are considered to be great games in the FGC. Why should MVS get a pass, especially with how things ended the last time the game was up?

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Man, they're really wheeling this game out for one last battlepass before they kill it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is multiversus the first FG by a publically traded company? Because this is what you get when your decisions are driven by shareholder value incentive.

Thirsty Dog posted:

This isn't input lag. If it's a deliberate design choice to handle network issues, then you'd only do it if it prevented input lag. The tradeoff is that everything is happening slower but it's still responsive.

It's sort of analogous to the principle behind EVE Online's time dilation, that it's better for the game action to slow down but no input lag vs very choppy gameplay and high latency on your UI (ie your inputs)

Given how well rollback works it's still a very odd choice, though, and we're just assuming it's due to network considerations I think?

Ah okay that makes sense. Thanks.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

VelociBacon posted:

Is multiversus the first FG by a publically traded company? Because this is what you get when your decisions are driven by shareholder value incentive.

Ah okay that makes sense. Thanks.

NRS since MK9 has been owned by WB

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just emailed my opponent Superman Up-Special at D7. He's so hosed. I suspect he'll just concede.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It kinda looks like when you'd play SFIV in a terrible connection where everything is under water and god awful. Why would you choose this footage to highlight your netcode improvements?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
This reminds me of Neptune’s Pride, a game that consumed my office about 10 years ago.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

Is multiversus the first FG by a publically traded company?
most of the big JP developers are also publicly traded, i think the biggest private company in the fg space is arcsys

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah I don't think this is because WB is publicly traded, I think this is because they really thought they could lock up the platform fighter niche and that didn't happen so they're struggling to recover. Meanwhile their other big published games right now are Mortal Kombat 1, which is in a bad place at the moment, and the dead on arrival Suicide Squad game so gotta do something.

Most companies only fail to make one thriving live service game and WB is going for the hat trick.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 12, 2024

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I don't think it's specifically the platform fighter niche but the live service game niche, which is why WB is desperately throwing IPs around in hopes one will stick. Expect Harry Potter Fortnite Impact in 2025.

Basically what you said after the edits.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wb specifically is also just melting down in every other possible way

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

mycot posted:

I don't think it's specifically the platform fighter niche but the live service game niche, which is why WB is desperately throwing IPs around in hopes one will stick. Expect Harry Potter Fortnite Impact in 2025.

Basically what you said after the edits.

Yeah they're definitely first and foremost hungry for fortnite money and everything other decision is in service of that pipe dream.

I am surprised they didn't put Harry Potter in multiversus after the LOTR thing fell, but then they'd have to remove one of the gremlins and obviously people were craving more gremlins content.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

jk rowlings everything might have also given them some hesitation. like hogwarts legacy made money but thats just a video game you put on shelves, when youre trying to be an Esport im sure theres some tourneys that wouldnt have run the game

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
The thing that Smash Bros (and Marvel vs) understood that no Smash Clone has is the basic concept of fanservice. Solid Snake snapping Mario's neck or the Dante Deadpool shootout is what people want. Everyone else just smashes IPs together incoherently and are confused when Arya Stark vs Scooby Doo doesn't go viral.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
I'd say that seems too forward thinking for WB, but yeah maybe. Probably didn't help that people were/are rapidly cooling on fantastic beasts and how to ensure world war 2 happens.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mycot posted:

The thing that Smash Bros (and Marvel vs) understood that no Smash Clone has is the basic concept of fanservice. Solid Snake snapping Mario's neck or the Dante Deadpool shootout is what people want. Everyone else just smashes IPs together incoherently and are confused when Arya Stark vs Scooby Doo doesn't go viral.

I think MVS looks awful, but they DID do this. Possibly more than Smash honestly, characters actually talk to each other in the match, whereas Smash post-Brawl just has the prerelease character trailers for stuff like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

having the smash characters talk to each other sounds awful