Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Quiet Feet posted:

AA would never throw away a wing. :colbert:

Not even the bones, just slip them into your pocket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
What kind of maniac is eating chicken wings with 46 seconds left in a basketball game?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

wandler20 posted:

What kind of maniac is eating chicken wings with 46 seconds left in a basketball game?

he's got at least a good ten minutes of actual time left

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

saintonan posted:

he's got at least a good ten minutes of actual time left

Lol, this is a very good point.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Well they're clearly not intending to eat that particular one

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

What you want to do is dial up some Roberto Firmino highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niFxD9iUv0A&t=65s

see you and raise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hHtMl2yjsI

also if I'm making a legit football recommendation, this is the one you really want

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M7jMpAh8B8

swickles posted:

Ita not as bad as what will happen if you watch the highlights Ohio State's top WR's father...

who? :haw:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm705Itp2OU
Harlan is a goddamn treasure and speaks the absolute truth.

The Wild Man of YOLO posted:

Not even the bones, just slip them into your pocket

Gotta save the bones to make chicken stock.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Whoever suggested x men 97 thank you kindly. This show hits hard.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Whoever suggested x men 97 thank you kindly. This show hits hard.

Yea, I'm digging it. Need to catch up on the new episode. I've been going back to the old series, and I think it's still fine. Obviously isn't quite as good as I remember, but good enough for 90s kids cartoons.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Is the fallout show worth watching?

First two episodes were kinda meh

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

FizFashizzle posted:

I saw someone complaining about it being woke so maybe?

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Started the first few minutes of Fallout and was like man she sounds familiar, looked it up and she’s Jinx from Arcane. Arcane rocks

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Hell yeah another $7.4 billion in student loan debt cancelled by Biden: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/apr/12/biden-student-debt-cancellation-plan

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hot Diggity! posted:

Hell yeah another $7.4 billion in student loan debt cancelled by Biden: https://www.theguardian.com/money/2024/apr/12/biden-student-debt-cancellation-plan

Nice.

quote:

Those plans include canceling up to $20,000 of accrued and capitalized interest for borrowers, regardless of income, which Biden’s administration estimates would eliminate the entirety of that interest for 23 million borrowers.

Now will Mohela be able to pull this off? WAIT AND SEE

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Hot Diggity! posted:

I found this calculator a few days ago and was talking about it with my friend who just had PSLF knock off the last bit of his loans after ~3 years of 0 payments. We greatly enjoyed doing 'what ifs' of debts some of our friends have with 4-600k and then talked about feasibility of using bankruptcy to get out of the tax hit at the end.

https://www.studentloanplanner.com/free-student-loan-calculator/

It's pretty fun that they included present value, because that matters a lot for figuring out SAVE v PAYE. I'm going to need to share this with a lot of my younger cousins who are still figuring it all out.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hot Diggity! posted:

Only $1.6 trillion to go

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Only $1.6 trillion to go

Gotta start somewhere. Can't do much about the courts blocking a larger debt cancellation plan. At least another $153 billion is approved too.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

Gotta start somewhere. Can't do much about the courts blocking a larger debt cancellation plan. At least another $153 billion is approved too.

Yeah it’s obviously better than nothing, I’m just tired of “better than nothing” being the absolute best we can do.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Yeah it’s obviously better than nothing, I’m just tired of “better than nothing” being the absolute best we can do.

“Better than nothing” is Liberalism.txt

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I think the most infuriating aspect of student loan relief getting blocked or denied is everyone behind that got 6+ figures of PPP loans waived.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

bobjr posted:

I think the most infuriating aspect of student loan relief getting blocked or denied is everyone behind that got 6+ figures of PPP loans waived.

But they’re ~*~*~jErB cReAtOrS~*~*~*~

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Well yes, and the larger project was blocked by the courts, so they are now doing this in a way specifically to circumvent the courts.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Hot Diggity! posted:

Well yes, and the larger project was blocked by the courts, so they are now doing this in a way specifically to circumvent the courts.

Pardon my ignorance but isn't most of the announced relief due to 2007's PSLF program + the various cancellations for debt to go to awful schools? Or are these numbers including the rolling interest that is being cancelled each month for people on SAVE plans?
I don't really know how the SAVE plans work - presumably the government isn't paying the servicers the interest monthly, and I guess the servicers would be placing the interest into a separate bucket that gets waived without a tax penalty.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

LeeMajors posted:

But they’re ~*~*~jErB cReAtOrS~*~*~*~

It always feels like clockwork when some dipshit politican says "in my day we paid off what we borrowed!" Only to find that they took out a fuckton of PPP loans that were like 95% forgiven.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

You have to look at politics like it's a classic horror movie. The Republicans are the guy in the mask with the chainsaw. The Democrats are the guy saying "Instead of driving away in this truck, maybe we should hide down in the unlit basement with the skulls and stuff, behind the wall of knives, he will never think to look for us there".

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Pardon my ignorance but isn't most of the announced relief due to 2007's PSLF program + the various cancellations for debt to go to awful schools? Or are these numbers including the rolling interest that is being cancelled each month for people on SAVE plans?
I don't really know how the SAVE plans work - presumably the government isn't paying the servicers the interest monthly, and I guess the servicers would be placing the interest into a separate bucket that gets waived without a tax penalty.

It's a combination. Prior to the Biden admin only 7k people had received debt relief since PSLF's 2007 inception (pretty wild stats of the program can be found here: https://educationdata.org/student-loan-forgiveness-statistics). Allocations that I've been able to locate are as follows:

-$3.6 billion for SAVE plans, which were created last year (approx. 207,000 borrowers impacted)
-$3.5 billion for approx. 66,000 income-based borrowers
-$300 million for approx. 4,500 PSLF borrowers

Hot Diggity! fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 12, 2024

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Meanwhile look at what the House is up to (well, the Rules Committee anyway): https://rules.house.gov/news/announcement/meeting-announcement-april-15-2024

H.R. 6192 – Hands Off Our Home Appliances Act
H.R. 7673 – Liberty in Laundry Act
H.R. 7645 – Clothes Dryers Reliability Act
H.R. 7637 – Refrigerator Freedom Act
H.R. 7626 – Affordable Air Conditioning Act
H.R. 7700 – Stop Unaffordable Dishwasher Standards Act

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Hot Diggity! posted:

Meanwhile look at what the House is up to (well, the Rules Committee anyway): https://rules.house.gov/news/announcement/meeting-announcement-april-15-2024

H.R. 6192 – Hands Off Our Home Appliances Act
H.R. 7673 – Liberty in Laundry Act
H.R. 7645 – Clothes Dryers Reliability Act
H.R. 7637 – Refrigerator Freedom Act
H.R. 7626 – Affordable Air Conditioning Act
H.R. 7700 – Stop Unaffordable Dishwasher Standards Act

Big fan of the HOOHA Act

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

My extremely cynical take on this is that the initial forgiveness program was announced with the knowledge that it would be struck down by courts. Throw the voters a bone without having to actually give them anything.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

My extremely cynical take on this is that the initial forgiveness program was announced with the knowledge that it would be struck down by courts. Throw the voters a bone without having to actually give them anything.

if that were the case, the administration would be going :shrug: rather than spending the increased overall time and resources to piecemeal it using smaller existing authority they already had

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Drake No: ACA
Drake Yes: AAC

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The only gender reveal I would ever consider:

https://twitter.com/PaulTweetsRIP/status/1778557152942043347?t=G9Qmp2ld_fJ1XT4xlgMtjg&s=19

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Hot Diggity! posted:

It's a combination. Prior to the Biden admin only 7k people had received debt relief since PSLF's 2007 inception (pretty wild stats of the program can be found here: https://educationdata.org/student-loan-forgiveness-statistics). Allocations that I've been able to locate are as follows:

-$3.6 billion for SAVE plans, which were created last year (approx. 207,000 borrowers impacted)
-$3.5 billion for approx. 66,000 income-based borrowers
-$300 million for approx. 4,500 PSLF borrowers

Thanks, that's useful.

PSLF makes sense though - a lot of my friends graduated in '08 and had half private, half public loans and could never get on IBR plans due to that, so they just paid for ten years and didn't get much, if any, forgiveness. It was the grads who started taking loans after '07 (so graduating in '10 if law students), and then immediately found good public sector employment, who were able to avail themselves fully. Especially because of the undergrad disbursement cap vs the unlimited gradplus situation now.

I'm surprised at the 66k income-based borrowers and am going to dig into that. A large part of me is suspicious that a huge amount of debt cancellation may be on loans that have long been in default and aren't being paid, so not really helping anyone, but I could easily be wrong.

I think I"m also reading the numbers wrong, or giving too much credence to nonspecific numbers, because of things like this

quote:

A total of 476,631 students had their loans forgiven, either in part or in full, through federal forgiveness programs prior to 2021.
Among all student loan borrowers, at least 323,000 have had loans forgiven due to total and permanent disability; each had an approximate average of $17,957 forgiven.
At least 190,000 have each had an approximate average of $20,410 forgiven due to having attended defunct schools and/or institutions that defrauded its students.

Implying 3/4 of debt forgiveness was due to disability, except the second sentence doesn't have a time frame. And the second/third could share overlap, but adds up to more than the total.

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 12, 2024

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

But they didn't even burn down a whole forest?

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Man that's a great site. I had no idea so many teachers were able to get debt forgiveness.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Had a fun meeting this morning to go over a case where we'll probably need to get a protective order to remove information because there are credible threats to kill the social workers and others involved. Learned some new things too. Now I'm off for the afternoon and took Monday off too since I've been hella stressed over a project and need a little long weekend to reset.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Qwijib0 posted:

if that were the case, the administration would be going :shrug: rather than spending the increased overall time and resources to piecemeal it using smaller existing authority they already had

Right, exactly. They had a broad forgiveness program, but it was struck down as not properly unauthorized, so now they’re doing the legwork of doing a bunch of more tailored forgiveness programs in places where the legislation more clearly authorizes forgiveness. It’s slower and much narrower, but it’s the only option without Congressional support, which can’t happen without a majority.

We can never know what’s in someone’s heart of hearts, but looking at their actions is more important anyway, and the Biden administration’s actions have been consistent with earnestly wanting to forgive a huge amount of student loan debt.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Man that's a great site. I had no idea so many teachers were able to get debt forgiveness.

Yeah it's fantastic. They have so much easily digestible information there relating to college and college loans. Their refinancing page in particular I wish people knew more about : https://educationdata.org/student-loan-refinancing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

FizFashizzle posted:

Trying to not spoil anything:

Honestly? Nah.

By the end theres more than a few hanging threads and things they should have explored that just get dumped to the wayside and abandoned and any attempt at social commentary with the vault dwellers being the rich kids descendants and the raiders / everyone else being the poor is pretty badly executed and I can't decide if it's meant to be a wink to the audience or its just badly done because it's done badly.

The main love story if you wanna call it that is so wooden and devoid of any kind of chemistry through. This is the sort of stuff I wouldn't have thought made it out of an early table read because they both just look uncomfortable in a way that doesn't seem like a direction choice. Reminds me of some of Richard geres late work where the supposedly romantic scenes are kind of awkward it takes you out of your sense of suspended disbelief and that's kinda hard to recover from.

Its not poorly written, more just very shallow, though it is relatively well executed at certain times. Walton is a joy to watch in anything and he owns in this too. That being said a lot of his flashback story is just kind of there for him to flex his chops and doesn't actually provide context to his character. Like the flashbacks in nope about Steve yuens character informs his motivations pretty specifically. Goggin's ghoul/actor just doesn't, really at all.

Part of me thinks there was some heavy handedness from someone, somewhere because there's some really cool set pieces and some of the set design is nice in parts but I found myself getting very easily distracted a lot going "come on" for just a lot of poo poo every episode. So I think there was a good story there somewhere but it got pulled apart and they doubled down in the wrong areas.

If feels a little like they rushed to film what they had and settled on going for sizzle over steak.

I get what they were going for with the 50s sitcom vault dweller optimism juxtaposed with the supposed brutal reality of post Apocalypse but it never really does anything beyond use it as a goofy joke set up, just over and over and over again. So it just becomes a little one note because thats the same well they return to, every, single, time.

The satirical elements are kinda cute at first but become a little grating if you're binging eps. Starship troopers worked because in part it had the right beats to hook you in, fallout kinda misses the drum a few times trying to do the same thing but it might be because troopers is like an hour and forty minutes long and the series is about 8 hours. So the ultra clean surface with filthy gory underbelly trope just continues forever.

Basically if you've seen the first two eps with the 50s music, violent montages, the aw shucks vault dwellers getting shitwhipped by their reality and the occasionally snappy witty comeback you've seen the show.

The plot just meanders until it's time for next montage/vault dweller slap/isn't this so zany guys! Scene and repeat.

The main lady is great though. Does her best.

My best analogy is its like ordering a whole lot of your favourite food, eating a third of it and craving something, anything to cleanse the palette. Same way with walking dead's whole "people are the worst" is all they had and all they could imagine.

If the "love" story was better done and the fish out of water stuff had more to it other than guess what's behind this door (it's violence and 50s music), then it probably would have been real good but instead it's just kind of mid. If you're a big fallout fan there's enough to get you through though, if not... you'll probably find yourself asking do I need to watch the rest after a couple eps.