Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cugel the Clever posted:

You really, really can. For all the glaring and thoroughly unjust faults in our judicial system, there's a lot to be said for it compared to others.

What is there to be said exactly unless you're rich? Access to the parts of the US justice system that people praise - right to a speedy trial, exhaustive appeals, presumption of innocence, judicial impartiality, guaranteed trial by jury, protection from extrajudicial searches, no cruel punishments - is broadly gated by the defendant's ability to pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bird food bathtub posted:

Eh, 76 ain't a bad run. If I make it to 60 I'll be surprised.

I felt that way until I turned 60...

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Stravag posted:

Who then sold a book titled if i did it: confessions of a killer

Right, so he was also a branding genius. Truely a dynamic and enigmatic figure. An all-time great at football, and he did other things too. Some not so good.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

*Better known for other work

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

He was great on the Naked Gun films; that's how I knew him. Maybe not such a nice guy outside of that though.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
im just sad oj outlived Norm

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

My Spirit Otter posted:

im just sad oj outlived Norm

Gonna rewatch all the weekend update bits where Norm just trashes OJ. Much like how OJ trashed his wife and her bf.

Edit: The network tried to get him to stop so I'm surprised Norm got away with it for as long as he did. Much like how OJ got away with murder.

Steezo fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 11, 2024

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

orange juche posted:

That Russia brief before the HACS by the US EUCOM commander was definitely interesting. Basically saying that if Russia continues on its path that it is going, in a year or two if they don't experience severe degradation of their capabilities in the wider European and global theater they're on the way to reaching the point that in a conventional war, all they'd need to reach the Atlantic as a land army is boots, and they will have about 2 million of them in uniform by that point, and the artillery and tanks to back them up thanks to alliances with Iran, China, and North Korea, and Europe and the US are not on track to be able to match them on the battlefield. Quantity is a quality all its own.

Hasn't their doctrine always been some variant of "you can't kill all of us"?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

My Spirit Otter posted:

yea dude, the guy who murdered his wife and her lover is a total king

lol, just lol

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
:( and he was SO CLOSE to catching the real killer, too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

:( and he was SO CLOSE to catching the real killer, too

I once worked for a very conservative anesthesiologist that said that he watched a ton of the trial because his normal schedule at the time was scheduled stuff early morning and then on call for the afternoon east coast time. He believed OJ was innocent.

Why? Well, he determined LAPD were lying and making poo poo up but it couldn’t be because they were racist and this was their standard SOP. No, he outlined some sort of crazy mob hit gone wrong that the LAPD was in on. LAPD had probably made enough of a mess of it that the real truth couldn’t be determined anymore.

Honestly that was kinda refreshing compared to where I was expecting that conversation to go.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

I'd like to ask if these are the same sorts of nerds who predicted Russia would molly whop Ukraine in the first place or that the gulf war would be some horrible slog with mass casualties? I'm not saying I'm some sort of military genius with access to intel, but I don't think we're getting a reorganization of the Russian army like 1943 soviets that where arguably one of two greatest military forces on the planet.

The difference here is that a lot of the idiots in the Russian military apparatus are dead or gulaged at this point. The people occupying big positions are people who are more experienced with combat than anyone in the Russian military in the last 40 years.

Much like treating a bacterial infection with antibiotics, if you don't kill it outright by finishing your course of medicine it can evolve to develop resistance to the meds, if you don't knock your adversary out of the park in a war, and it turns into a slog, eventually capable people will wind up in the key positions needed for them to get poo poo done. The difference between Russia and Ukraine here is Russia has access to the assets of a superpower, while Ukraine has none of that really. Europe is providing Ukraine what it can, and is increasing investment in its defense industrial base, but that kind of work takes years of sustained effort to come online. The US has massive stocks of weapons and materiel but has turned Ukraine aid into a political football.

Russia has spent the last year or so while people were back-slapping each other laughing about Russia being incompetent slowly cleaning house. The EUCOM assessment that Russia has the capability to produce 1300 tanks per year is likely born out by actual current imagery of the tank plants producing vehicles. Also, their deepening ties with their ally nations is letting them tap into supplies they would not have had otherwise, such as DPRK ammunition production for their arty rounds, and Chinese manufacturing capabilities, and their European neighbors don't have a whole lot of capacity or capability to match it, preferring until recently to lean on the US largesse for their defense.

Like i said, they might be wrong, but if they're right, they could quite soon start a whole lot more hell on the European continent if they wanted to. Nobody can really predict whats happening 2 years down the road, but Russia is definitely doing work to shift conditions to be favorable for Russia's continued aggression towards its neighbors in Europe.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 12, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: hang on I’m not on board with the OJ conspiracy anymore

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

russia (or perhaps ukraine, depending on how you look at it) has spent a lot of time cutting out the russian military's bloat and rot. we are unfortunately approaching a point where russia is starting to get its poo poo together by virtue of everyone who did not have their poo poo together being dead or in prison.

combined with the republican ratfucking denying them aid, it's a tough situation. i genuinely hope the EU steps up to the plate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
OJ was framed by the LAPD, for a crime that he was actually guilty of.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Rampart did OJ

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Platystemon posted:

There's a lot of controversial cases in history that come down to this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kith posted:

russia (or perhaps ukraine, depending on how you look at it) has spent a lot of time cutting out the russian military's bloat and rot. we are unfortunately approaching a point where russia is starting to get its poo poo together by virtue of everyone who did not have their poo poo together being dead or in prison.

combined with the republican ratfucking denying them aid, it's a tough situation. i genuinely hope the EU steps up to the plate.

Disagree wholeheartedly. I suspect the machine of graft and theft is still grinding along and that the people in power are still the same empty suits.

Remember they tried to clean up their military previously and it upset the graft machine so they canned the guy cleaning it up, there's no reason to believe that's changed, or they would've stopped with the human wave poo poo by now.

No, I suspect it's 'Same poo poo, different day' in Russias high command.

Ukraine on the other hand appears to be learning quickly, and is being forced to do so on a very lean budget both equipment and manpower wise so they have to be much more creative.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What is there to be said exactly unless you're rich? Access to the parts of the US justice system that people praise - right to a speedy trial, exhaustive appeals, presumption of innocence, judicial impartiality, guaranteed trial by jury, protection from extrajudicial searches, no cruel punishments - is broadly gated by the defendant's ability to pay.

This is true in plenty of other places. In the UK, if you've got enough money you can actually criminally prosecute someone yourself. It's had predictable results. Meanwhile, in Germany, suing anyone and everyone is practically a national pass time. To the point where many folks take out legal insurance to help with hiring an attorney for when their neighbors inevitably sue them.

For all the faults of the US legal system, it's nowhere close to the level of an authoritarian regime like Vietnam or China.

psydude fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 12, 2024

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

The time it takes to mobilize a nation with a small incompetent military into a massive competent one is not measured in years but decades. But, I'm not going to argue with anyone paranoiaing out, frankly the more people supporting a militarily re-competent (democratic) europe the better for and calmer the world

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Arrath posted:

If nothing else I hope that will decrease traffic around the pumps at actual costcos (lol good luck)

Oregon Costco pumps are great for the near future because there’s an entire self serve row that Costco Person is afraid of. I got in/out in like 10 mins the other day.

E: Still scary as poo poo driving through the parking lot. Costco Person knows they have a spare BMW at home and gives zero fucks backing out.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 12, 2024

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

I once worked for a very conservative anesthesiologist that said that he watched a ton of the trial because his normal schedule at the time was scheduled stuff early morning and then on call for the afternoon east coast time. He believed OJ was innocent.

Why? Well, he determined LAPD were lying and making poo poo up but it couldn’t be because they were racist and this was their standard SOP. No, he outlined some sort of crazy mob hit gone wrong that the LAPD was in on. LAPD had probably made enough of a mess of it that the real truth couldn’t be determined anymore.

Honestly that was kinda refreshing compared to where I was expecting that conversation to go.

We forget that this was 2 years after the assholes who beat Rodney King half to death got off.

Yeah we all know OJ was a wife murdering piece of poo poo but also Mark Fuhrerman was a typical LA cop.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

CommieGIR posted:

Disagree wholeheartedly. I suspect the machine of graft and theft is still grinding along and that the people in power are still the same empty suits.

Remember they tried to clean up their military previously and it upset the graft machine so they canned the guy cleaning it up, there's no reason to believe that's changed, or they would've stopped with the human wave poo poo by now.

No, I suspect it's 'Same poo poo, different day' in Russias high command.

Ukraine on the other hand appears to be learning quickly, and is being forced to do so on a very lean budget both equipment and manpower wise so they have to be much more creative.

I genuinely hope you're right. Honestly, I've lost track of things since there hasn't been nearly as much information coming out of the conflict as there used to be.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

goatsestretchgoals posted:

We forget that this was 2 years after the assholes who beat Rodney King half to death got off.

Yeah we all know OJ was a wife murdering piece of poo poo but also Mark Fuhrerman was a typical LA cop.

Yeah, when a certain aged and disposition white person gets all aghast at black people "celebrating" a murderer, they're really celebrating beating the lapd when they had home court advantage. It's pretty unfortunate it had to come at the lives of two people but what are you gonna do. If there was any hint of impropriety or malfeasance on their part, that jury wasn't gonna convict. And the LAPD wasn't sending their best.

psydude posted:

This is true in plenty of other places. In the UK, if you've got enough money you can actually criminally prosecute someone yourself. It's had predictable results. Meanwhile, in Germany, suing anyone and everyone is practically a national pass time. To the point where many folks take out legal insurance to help with hiring an attorney for when their neighbors inevitably sue them.

For all the faults of the US legal system, it's nowhere close to the level of an authoritarian regime like Vietnam or China.

It's just like the milhist thread all over again. Apparently germans got that poo poo in their blood.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's just like the milhist thread all over again. Apparently germans got that poo poo in their blood.

Local transit operators employ ticket checkers who dress in non-descript clothing and appear suddenly on trains to harass tourists and students. Because apparently this is better than just using turnstiles. I used to jokingly refer to them as the Train Stasi until someone advised me that I could probably be sued for it.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

psydude posted:

Local transit operators employ ticket checkers who dress in non-descript clothing and appear suddenly on trains to harass tourists and students. Because apparently this is better than just using turnstiles. I used to jokingly refer to them as the Train Stasi until someone advised me that I could probably be sued for it.

Is it for using the word Stasi to describe them or just disparaging them in general? If it is the former, could call them the Train Pinkertons

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

psydude posted:

It's good to see americans don't have a monopoly on this poo poo maybe?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Is it for using the word Stasi to describe them or just disparaging them in general? If it is the former, could call them the Train Pinkertons

Insulting someone is illegal in Germany. Most people would never invoke it, but as you can imagine, it's not infrequently used by the police and other public officials to punish normal people. One of the more famous (if not ironic) cases involved a man who flipped off a guy who was passing him on a road at high speed, which triggered a speed camera. The guy who flipped him off was caught in the photo and was prosecuted for insulting the police. He fought it in court, but ended up paying a €5000 fine.

https://www.thelocal.de/20220615/driver-in-bavaria-gets-e5000-fine-for-giving-the-finger-to-speed-camera

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The train gestapo exists because travelling without paying is actually a criminal[!] act.

While this is obviously stupid and actually costs a ton of money (the people who get caught usually can't pay either and routinely get imprisoned), the only parties who think this should be changed do not have a majority in the Bundesrat. The majority of the population thinks this is stupid as well, including the association of judges, FWIW.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They’re not big on freedom of speech in Germany?

This is my shocked face.

Shocked, 😮.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

psydude posted:

Lol no, gently caress this. They 100% should scrap the ticket checkers, but if I had to choose between dealing with the ticket checkers or with turnstiles, I would choose the former every time. Currently you can just buy your ticket online, and then saunter onto the train station and board your train at your leisure without having to squeeze yourself through some stupid turnstiles.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Lol no, gently caress this. They 100% should scrap the ticket checkers, but if I had to choose between dealing with the ticket checkers or with turnstiles, I would choose the former every time. Currently you can just buy your ticket online, and then saunter onto the train station and board your train at your leisure without having to squeeze yourself through some stupid turnstiles.

In Japan, a lot of the train stations have started using turnstiles that are open by default and only close if you don't scan a valid ticket.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
This is from close to twenty years ago, but a distract relative I was chatting with at wedding lived in Japan for a while and said where he was you purchased tickets based on the number of stops you travel. Ticket agents would sometimes come to check tickets, and if you didn't have the correct one (ie paid for one stop but traveling further) then the penalty was... having to buy the correct ticket.

Side note he observed it was as ridiculous how much a foreigner could get away with because it was assumed that you just didn't know any better.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's good to see americans don't have a monopoly on this poo poo maybe?

Ironically goons thinking the US has a monopoly on everything from imperial measurements to bad tourists is itself a form of American exceptionalism

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Eyes Have It posted:

This is from close to twenty years ago, but a distract relative I was chatting with at wedding lived in Japan for a while and said where he was you purchased tickets based on the number of stops you travel. Ticket agents would sometimes come to check tickets, and if you didn't have the correct one (ie paid for one stop but traveling further) then the penalty was... having to buy the correct ticket.

Side note he observed it was as ridiculous how much a foreigner could get away with because it was assumed that you just didn't know any better.

Yeah this happened to me twice during my visit, and it was very much "Oh no, you are missing enough tickets, let me help you get what you need". The conductor was really nice and just helped me get the right ones for my stop.

God I miss Japanese public transit. Not so much the work schedules. Still, I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ironically goons thinking the US has a monopoly on everything from imperial measurements to bad tourists is itself a form of American exceptionalism
Looking forward to someone coming out of the woods works to pronounce the experience of the average American enlisted in the 21st century as uniquely and unprecedentedly terrible and that it would be wrong to cast stones at some warlord for his army of child soldier slaves.

Truly, the extent to which I see people these days confusing the real flaws of something they're intimately familiar with for representing a drastic negative departure from the mean is wholly novel and spells doom for our society in particular.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Torrannor posted:

having to squeeze yourself through some stupid turnstiles.

Skill issue.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Back in the day in Finland it was basically a hobby for many broke rear end teenagers including myself to travel by train without buying tickets. Just go to the restaurant car and look extremely bored or read a book or something and very rarely the conductors bothered to ask for the ticket. If you get caught once in a blue moon, eh you pay the extra fee as cost of doing business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Looking forward to someone coming out of the woods works to pronounce the experience of the average American enlisted in the 21st century as uniquely and unprecedentedly terrible and that it would be wrong to cast stones at some warlord for his army of child soldier slaves.

Truly, the extent to which I see people these days confusing the real flaws of something they're intimately familiar with for representing a drastic negative departure from the mean is wholly novel and spells doom for our society in particular.

this is totally incomprehensible