Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think the events at Genosha are too big to undo through time travel.

Maddie had visions of it happening though. Then it seemed she was attacked psychically. So it'll be interesting to see why she had the visions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I honestly didn't plan on watching X-Men 97 since I never really watched the original very much and so didn't have nostalgia for it, but this thread (and others) going crazy about the most recent episode* finally got me to give it a shot and after binging the whole thing tonight... drat, this is a good show. I will agree with a lot of people that while it's nice they got the original guy back to voice Wolverine, he's just not that great at it anymore and they'd probably have been better off getting a soundalike imo.

*one other factor was having my little brother literally text me all day badgering me about watching it because he needed to gush to someone about it lol

deoju posted:

In the most recent episode they show a picture of the 1963 team in their original outfits. So I guess we know how things stand now.

Also Gambit went out like a badass today.

From the minute I understood Gambit's powers I always thought "Why doesn't he just charge up much bigger poo poo?" and I know the answer is "because he can't throw it" but still, I feel like writers are less creative than they could be in general (at least in most comics I've read featuring him) with the power of "make anything (inorganic) loving explode"

X-O posted:

I mean Cable was already trying to fix it and said "Not again!" like he'd done it before and failed. I fully expect it to be lessened so some of the dying characters don't die, but probably not completely halted. We'll see. Doesn't change the impact the episode had in the moment which is what really matters.

Yeah, the Wild Man of Borneo has really beefed it here and I also get the feeling that from his POV it's not the first time.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Has comic book Magneto ever worn a costume like the one in '97? I assume so, it just looks so different from any version I have seen from comics or adaptations. But I really dig it.

Also I really dig the new opening each episode. EP5 accordingly had an amazing OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXldMBoT-54

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 12, 2024

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NikkolasKing posted:

Has comic book Magneto ever worn a costume like the one in '97? I assume so, it just looks so different from any version I have seen from comics or adaptations. But I really dig it.

He wore it for a while in the Claremont era when he seemed fully reformed, I think while he was leading the New Mutants.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Air Skwirl posted:

He wore it for a while in the Claremont era when he seemed fully reformed, I think while he was leading the New Mutants.

Including "The Trial of Magneto" which the second episode pulled from.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I really dig the new opening each episode. EP5 accordingly had an amazing OP

I love the changing intros but find it mildly hilarious that they still have to keep that end with the X-Men and villains running at each other at the end because it's so iconic despite the fact that the show starts off with Xavier dead and now characters keep dying (or going away in Storm's case).

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BTAS talk always puts me in mind of the movie poster gallery some mad artist made,

https://imgur.com/gallery/1HArE

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Those own. The one for the Last Laugh instantly made me recall the song from Batman fighting Captain Clown.

That episode had a sick soundtrack.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXUF_FuG2o

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

As mentioned, he wore it during and around the "Trial Of Magneto" storyline in Uncanny X-Men #200.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I mean, I guess it was allowed back then but it's just funny to me that the lawyer really needs her nicotine fix in that moment.

"Your Honor, permission to approach the bench."
"Granted."
"Hey, I'm outta matches. You got a light?"
"I gotchu."
[flicks a lighter on for her]

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
e: nm

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The defense also gets pretty silly.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

NikkolasKing posted:

Has Hank ever really been addressed as The (definite article) Beast? I'm not sure he's had a solo series and that title banner has existed since at least the original show but it's just something I noticed and seemed odd. None of the other OG X-Men are a "The" so it seems weird that every guy added.

Oh, and did Jean ever go by Marvel Girl in the old series? It always seemed like she never had a codename, although we've had acknowledgement of her being in the first five and wearing both the original outfit and the green number with yellow mask.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 12, 2024

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

From the minute I understood Gambit's powers I always thought "Why doesn't he just charge up much bigger poo poo?" and I know the answer is "because he can't throw it" but still, I feel like writers are less creative than they could be in general (at least in most comics I've read featuring him) with the power of "make anything (inorganic) loving explode"
There's a cool bit in the 90s during the run-up to either Onslaught or Operation: Zero Tolerance where he and Bishop are trying to stop an out of control train, so Gambit charges up the locomotive and Bishop immediately absorbs the energy, then redirects it into his feet to ride the rails and stop it.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Has Hank ever really been addressed as The (definite article) Beast? I'm not sure he's had a solo series and that title banner has existed since at least the original show but it's just something I noticed and seemed odd. None of the other OG X-Men are a "The" so it seems weird that every guy added.

Oh, and did Jean ever go by Marvel Girl in the old series? It always seemed like she never had a codename, although we've had acknowledgement of her being in the first five and wearing both the original outfit and the green number with yellow mask.

Yes, they both have. Hank's first fuzzy appearance was in an issue of Amazing Adventures featuring "THE BEAST" and there was a "THE BEAST" miniseries in the 90s.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

BizarroAzrael posted:

I have admitted its' been a long time since I watched TAS but even as a kid I always wondered why Jean didn't have a codename. I'm positive she is always just Jean Grey in the show. Unless you count when she's possessed by Phoenix Force and calls herself Phoenix.

I think she's just Jean in X-Men Evolution, too.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I didn't know Jean's hero name was Marvel Girl until I read Ultimate X-Men #1 as a teenager and was exposed to Millar for the first time lol

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Soooo was the background for Magneto in the intro foreshadowing?

Gambit related, I always liked the introduction that he has minor telekinetic abilities and that's one reason why his cards are so accurate.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't know what I like more, the ruling that all babies are dead (world stillbirth rate rockets to 100%!) or that the lawyer used the very legal phrase "state of grace", enshrining in precedent that from now on a Catholic can do all the crimes they want and then go to confession, and then the person who did those crimes is legally dead.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Azubah posted:

Gambit related, I always liked the introduction that he has minor telekinetic abilities and that's one reason why his cards are so accurate.

I'm the opposite. I like when characters are just good at stuff. Gambit doesn't need a power for throwing cards, Cyclops doesn't need a power for knowing angles to bank his beams, Spider-Man doesn't need inherited spider knowledge to invent web fluid, etc.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

CapnAndy posted:

I don't know what I like more, the ruling that all babies are dead (world stillbirth rate rockets to 100%!) or that the lawyer used the very legal phrase "state of grace", enshrining in precedent that from now on a Catholic can do all the crimes they want and then go to confession, and then the person who did those crimes is legally dead.

I love it. I'm not sure you can write this kind of thing anymore. It is such unapologetic blend of comic book insanity with something very serious and "real."

If this was done nowadays, somebody would have to go wink wink nudge nudge at how absurd it is. But Claremont takes this silliness totally straight.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BeauDemayo/status/1778190058144866726

Apparently episode 5 was the whole centerpiece of this project

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CapnAndy posted:

Also Magneto 100% remembers his prior life plus the experience of being a baby before he is re-aged, as that is what inspires his revenge scheme to force the X-Men to enact an adult baby/mommy dom role play scenario inside his secret arctic fortress.

Also also the X-Men are not the ones responsible for him getting turned into a baby.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Speaking as a current lawyer I would love to be a lawyer in comic book world. I can only imagine the hosed up precedents there would be.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Monaghan posted:

Speaking as a current lawyer I would love to be a lawyer in comic book world. I can only imagine the hosed up precedents there would be.

That was one of the main gimmicks of Dan Slott's She-Hulk run. He even had thanks to the Comics Code Authority (for reasons that escape me) back issues were admissible as evidence.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dawgstar posted:

That was one of the main gimmicks of Dan Slott's She-Hulk run. He even had thanks to the Comics Code Authority (for reasons that escape me) back issues were admissible as evidence.
It was previously established in other comics that Marvel Comics exists in-universe and certain characters, most notably the Fantastic Four, officially license their names and adventures to them -- and Spider-Man, famously, does not, so in-universe Spider-Man comics are full of guesses and made-up bullshit. I believe the rationale was that for the official licensors, they signed off on each plot being the accurate truth, so those comics could be taken as, essentially, affidavits.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's almost a shame the finale is monopolizing everyone's attention. And for those who aren't captivated by all the questions and emotions there, they're focused on kisses and romantic angst.

Amidst all this, Scott's best moment yet has been overshadowed.

I wonder if this is gonna go anywhere, especially combined with the rest of the episode? It's probably just a moment of vulnerability, of being a person. Either way, it was quite great.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm not really an X-Men guy so I havne't been watching but I've seen clips of '97 and it's pretty great.

NikkolasKing posted:

It's almost a shame the finale is monopolizing everyone's attention. And for those who aren't captivated by all the questions and emotions there, they're focused on kisses and romantic angst.

I wonder if this is gonna go anywhere, especially combined with the rest of the episode? It's probably just a moment of vulnerability, of being a person. Either way, it was quite great.

I keep thinking about this scene. "You are normal, we are nothing like you. And thank god, otherwise you'd all be dead." is so loving raw

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

NikkolasKing posted:

I only know X-Men comics via osmosis around these parts and elsewhere on the internet but is it setting up his more militant era? This latest episode has definitely given him reason to be way less of an Xavier boyscout and go more aggressive.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 30 days!)

yea, the episode was overshadowed with the amazing second half, but Scott was super raw.

Like I was ready to slam into him with the walk out last episodes, but I actually understand both sides of real Jean and Scott's anger and confusion. Do you actually love me, or am I just a lovely memory. Especially after that scene with Wolverine.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Monaghan posted:

In Charles Soule's Daredevil run he had Matt Murdock go to the Supreme Court and (successfully!) argue that costumed vigilantes could testify in court mask on and everything. This later came into play when Daredevil accidentally kills a guy, then goes to jail for it and keeps the mask on the whole time. Marvel law is nuts.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 13, 2024

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Monaghan posted:

There's a great short arc in Astro City about exactly that, though Astro City in general has always been great about depicting a world where Superheroes are a thing and how that affects everyday life

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Lobok posted:

I only know X-Men comics via osmosis around these parts and elsewhere on the internet but is it setting up his more militant era? This latest episode has definitely given him reason to be way less of an Xavier boyscout and go more aggressive.

That was my thinking as well. (fellow non-Xpert here)

But at the same time I think that might be going too far. I think it would be tantamount to saying you have to be Magneto or like him to have that reaction, and you don't. Scott has been through - and is going through - Hell and the woman was prying into his personal life, saying he was lying about not having a child. So he lost his temper, vaguely explaining the insanity of his life and how he does it all for a bunch of ungrateful assholes.

You can stay good, upstanding and caring leader-man and still have moments of vulnerability like that.

But who knows, it might be the first steps towards what I've been told is "Bendis Cyclops." (Bendis is a name I never heard very good things about when I paid attention to comics back in the late 2000s)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bendis was a great writer. Around here people just make fun of him for the way he writes dialogue, but he's written some of the best comics ever. People are split on his X-Men, but that was written way after his peak.

I also wouldn't call it a Bendis Cyclops. Grant Morrison wrote a jaded Cyclops who was struggling to find his place (and eventually did at the end of the run) and then Whedon picked up and wrote him as a much more confident person than he had probably ever been before. Most writers followed that with an increasingly more hardline "do whatever it takes to survive" Cyclops until eventually he became a bad guy in Avengers vs. X-Men.

This episode is a lot more Grant Morrison Cyclops than anything else.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

My favorite thing about Militant Cyclops was that it coincided with Wolverine at his absolute softest, as a peacable (by his standards) school headmaster. So you had the really wonderful character dynamic where each of them, after decades of butting heads, had finally been convinced that the other was right all along, stepped over the line to join him... and found that his counterpart had done the exact same thing at the exact same time, and viewed the other moving as a betrayal. That great "I don't want to hear this from you of all people!", in stereo, every time they argued.

So, yeah, show's not ready for that yet.

TwoPair posted:

In Charles Soule's Daredevil run he had Matt Murdock go to the Supreme Court and (successfully!) argue that costumed vigilantes could testify in court mask on and everything. This later came into play when Daredevil accidentally kills a guy, then goes to jail for it and keeps the mask on the whole time. Marvel law is nuts.
Slott's She-Hulk also introduced an Avengers-issued biometric scanner that could recognize members, and since they were a government agency, a successful scan from it meant you were a legal witness. That's how Spider-Man testified in J. Jonah Jameson's libel trial without taking off his mask or revealing his secret identity.

NikkolasKing posted:

But who knows, it might be the first steps towards what I've been told is "Bendis Cyclops." (Bendis is a name I never heard very good things about when I paid attention to comics back in the late 2000s)
Bendis is 2/3rds of a very good writer. He's great at setups, and he can keep a status quo going forever by entertainingly spinning his wheels and fooling the audience with one step forward, one step back storytelling. But he can't write an ending to save his life. Ultimate Spider-Man aside, all his runs end the same way: he either gets bored and wanders off or is forced out, and either he or the next writer up has to abruptly and anticlimactically wrap all his poo poo up in like one issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CapnAndy posted:

My favorite thing about Militant Cyclops was that it coincided with Wolverine at his absolute softest, as a peacable (by his standards) school headmaster. So you had the really wonderful character dynamic where each of them, after decades of butting heads, had finally been convinced that the other was right all along, stepped over the line to join him... and found that his counterpart had done the exact same thing at the exact same time, and viewed the other moving as a betrayal. That great "I don't want to hear this from you of all people!", in stereo, every time they argued.

Slott's She-Hulk also introduced an Avengers-issued biometric scanner that could recognize members, and since they were a government agency, a successful scan from it meant you were a legal witness. That's how Spider-Man testified in J. Jonah Jameson's libel trial without taking off his mask or revealing his secret identity.

Bendis is 2/3rds of a very good writer. He's great at setups, and he can keep a status quo going forever by entertainingly spinning his wheels and fooling the audience with one step forward, one step back storytelling. But he can't write an ending to save his life. Ultimate Spider-Man aside, all his runs end the same way: he either gets bored and wanders off or is forced out, and either he or the next writer up has to abruptly and anticlimactically wrap all his poo poo up in like one issue.

Bendis' Daredevil is the greatest long run of Daredevil that's ever existed and the ending worked perfectly to set up the next writer for something great (although supposedly Brubaker had to tell him "no go with the natural consequence with this, don't put all the toys back in the box")

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

This is why I plan to try and read some stuff from the 2000s leading up to Schism once I'm done with Krakoa. I've heard mixed things on how it's executed but it sounded really cool for the reasons you described. I remember thinking myself way back when "...X-23 is on the kill squad of mutants? That seems pretty hosed up to do to her, either by the writers or the characters." And I was told recently Wolverine himself calls Scott out on this so it was an intentionally hosed up move,, not just the writers being bad.

So yeah, once I get done with Krakoa in however long that takes, gonna go back and maybe look into the Messiah Trilogy and stuff going into Schism and Wolverine and the X-Men. (which is a shockingly popular book from most accounts I've read. Then again, if you aren't a Cyclops fan, Jason Aaron seems much beloved)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, that seemed like the basic pattern for Powers' arcs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I got big into reading marvel around the Marvel NOW! relaunch, so my first real-rear end Bendis besides Ultimate Spider-man was his Guardians of the Galaxy, and issue 1 read like a parody of Bendis Talk

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MorningMoon posted:

I got big into reading marvel around the Marvel NOW! relaunch, so my first real-rear end Bendis besides Ultimate Spider-man was his Guardians of the Galaxy, and issue 1 read like a parody of Bendis Talk

The most I remember from Guardians is Tony was there, I assume because movie, and he slept with Gamora but apparently it was really bad and she just up left which is kind of funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Interview with directors of '97

They kinda echo my thoughts on it, that this isn't the first step of Militant Cyclops, just a good man who is tired of having to justify his very existence to people.