Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
generally i find it rude to use someones race as one of their pronouns so i dont do it and the latina/o/x/e/é thing just hasnt come up irl one way or another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011
putx

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I’m old enough that I was still in school while people were trying to sort out what came after the gender neutral he with various solutions like “one” instead of pronouns and the teacher in high school who recommended jumping between he and she in alternating paragraphs
Ah yes, the D&D 3rd edition Players Handbook solution

HashtagGirlboss posted:

And I feel bad for anyone who hasn’t heard it spoken, it’s funny every time

Now I'm imagining someone trying to pronounce other written conventions like s/he

'Will suh-slash-he be there to pick me up at the airport'

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 15:14 on Apr 12, 2024

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Hal Draper posted:

The day after Reagan’s election as governor of California, a liberal pro-Brown acquaintance met me with haggard face and fevered brow, muttering “Didn’t they ever hear of Hitler? Didn’t they ever hear of Hitler?” Did he mean Reagan was Hitler? “Well,” he said darkly, “look how Hitler got started ...” A light struck me about what was going on in his head. “Look,” I said, “you’ve heard of Hitler, so tell me this: how did Hitler become chancellor of Germany?”

My pro-Brown enthusiast was taken aback: “Why, he won some election or other – wasn’t it – with terror and a Reichstag fire and something like that.” – “That was after he had already become chancellor. How did he become chancellor of Germany?”

Don’t go away to look it up. In the 1932 presidential election the Nazis ran Hitler, and the main bourgeois parties ran Von Hindenburg, the Junker general who represented the right wing of the Weimar republic but not fascism. The Social-Democrats, leading a mass workers’ movement, had no doubt about what was practical, realist, hard-headed politics and what was “utopian fantasy”: so they supported Hindenburg as the obvious Lesser Evil. They rejected with scorn the revolutionary proposal to run their own independent candidate against both reactionary alternatives – a line, incidentally that could also break off the rank-and-file followers of the Communist Party, which was then pursuing the criminal policy of “After Hitler we come” and “Social-fascists are the main enemy.”

So the Lesser Evil, Hindenburg, won; and Hitler was defeated. Whereupon President Hindenburg appointed Hitler to the chancellorship, and the Nazis started taking over.

The classic case was that the people voted for the Lesser Evil and got both.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Programmer Humor posted:

it's gringe now

gringay (laudatory)

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Programmer Humor posted:

it's gringe now

Checks out

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

[succ] You're a robber, Mr. Gringe

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

PhilippAchtel posted:

[succ] You're a robber, Mr. Gringe

im a gaylord mr gringe

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

No loving way lmao

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

PhilippAchtel posted:

No loving way lmao

mein gott

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

gringay

so what

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

jesucristo

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PhilippAchtel posted:

No loving way lmao

lmao

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

ayy dios mio! jajajajaja

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

ArmedZombie posted:

ayy dios mio! jajajajaja

guilty as charged

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Dr seuxx

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It is incredible to me that America under Joe Biden is threatening war with Iran to defend little Ukraine

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nonsense posted:

It is incredible to me that America under Joe Biden is threatening war with Iran to defend little Ukraine

When have we not threatened war with Iran?

https://www.theonion.com/bush-announces-iraq-exit-strategy-well-go-through-iran-1819567765

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

It's more lol that it's under a Democrap, and not Trump who everybody is saying will usher in WW3 and kill more Gazans than Biden has somehow.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

pop-pop's heel turn:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1778464367668871305

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008
Fighting....like...hell!!! Next time.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

well this is what he needs to do to win. will it be enough?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

jesucriste

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

MadSparkle posted:

Latine like Lateen in pronunciation ?

quote:

Using Latine (sounds like "la-TEEN-eh") in the U.S. "makes sense as an internationally used way of speaking and writing in a less gendered manner," says Monica Trasandes, director for Spanish language media and representation at GLAAD.

I'm not a Spanish speaker, so someone else will have to explain how it will sound different from Latina when spoken aloud

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

someone remind me, who was elected president in 2020 and who is president right now?

Iverron
May 13, 2012

these people are so annoying

https://twitter.com/katewillett/status/1778635721848259030

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Comedian, Author, Podcaster (NETFLIX, Colbert) - "a perfect blend of smart and filthy" - SF Weekly - Tour Dates on Website! New Special Coming Soon!

raisin kane
Dec 26, 2019

*spilling the salt shaker of coke in fear & loathing voice* look what donald trump just did to us man!!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Toph Bei Fong posted:

I'm not a Spanish speaker, so someone else will have to explain how it will sound different from Latina when spoken aloud

la-teen-ah versus la-teen-ay

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

bedpan posted:

someone remind me, who was elected president in 2020 and who is president right now?

how dare you

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

bedpan posted:

Comedian, Author, Podcaster (NETFLIX, Colbert) - "a perfect blend of smart and filthy" - SF Weekly - Tour Dates on Website! New Special Coming Soon!

░S░U░C░C░I░N░B░I░O░

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

As far as I know Latinx didn’t have some intentional start beyond academics trying to be gender neutral in papers and then other academics and students noticed and it kind of snowballed into a thing

I’m old enough that I was still in school while people were trying to sort out what came after the gender neutral he with various solutions like “one” instead of pronouns and the teacher in high school who recommended jumping between he and she in alternating paragraphs

The thing is if Latinx had caught on it would still get backlash but it clearly hasn’t caught on and at this point anyone trying to make it a thing is a dork

And I feel bad for anyone who hasn’t heard it spoken, it’s funny every time

Do... do people not use "one" anymore? It still works if you want to do generalized singular, "they" would be awkward in that context.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Do... do people not use "one" anymore? It still works if you want to do generalized singular, "they" would be awkward in that context.

It makes one sound like a Khajit

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
iirc one of the biggest issues with latinx is that the -x suffix in spanish doesnt make sense

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Lib and let die posted:

It makes one sound like a Khajit

It makes you sound like Boromir! Who doesn't want to sound like Sean Bean?

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Probably Magic posted:

It makes you sound like Boromir! Who doesn't want to sound like Sean Bean?

characters that want to stay alive

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

I use "you" or "your" sometimes

Jon
Nov 30, 2004

Probably Magic posted:

Not really, you probably use it singularly all the time without even knowing it. "My cousin had a birthday," "Oh yeah, how old are they?" et al.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Officer Sandvich posted:

I will boldly state that what is happening both in Ukraine and Gaza is relatively insignificant compared to what will happen to the entire human race for at least the next 50-100 years if Trump is reelected and remains there. If the new tri-Axis corner stone of BRICS achieves stability at least a third of humanity will be enslaved by 2100.

How many Palestinians remain in the West Bank and Gaza - about 5 million or so?

After a Trump "presidency" takes China-level control of the internet and TV networks, all five million of those people will be exterminated, imprisoned or expelled, and we may not even know about it.

The Democrats will be violently purged and filled with Manchin/Sinema sycophants to play the role of opposition in a staged democracy.

Millions of Americans will be rounded up and put into camps. Tens of thousands will be killed in the process. After a few years of extracting slave labour from them, executions will start in earnest.

All of the remaining democracies around the world will fall in a similar way. That was the dream of the Third Reich and the coming Triaxis will make it theirs as well.