Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Dr. Cool Aids)

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I was gonna get the train and go camping this weekend but it's like £60 for a train ticket or £10 in fuel for driving.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Apr 11, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

It's free to not do anything.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

shouldn't camp on trains imo. makes it hard for the drinks trolley to get past

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Home from Tenerife lads. Brought you all presents.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Ronmiel I hope

loving love that stuff

gimme

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Salisbury Snape posted:

Newquay is basically one big building site at the moment, have fun lol

The Carland Cross non-existent junction on the A30 in theory was terrible but traffic kept moving so it was fine. We're staying somewhere in the wilderness near Bodmin, so not even Newquay so I'm not sure if that counts or not. Also, I'm drove my mum's car and the normal pressure I would apply on brakes to stop my own car has caused it to emergency stop three times, which isn't ideal. On the other hand, when my mum was driving she decided that trying to overtake in mist and heavy rain at 90mph was fine, fiddling with the aircon when leaving Perranporth beach as traffic was coming towards us in a fairly narrow road was fine and also waving to my brother who was following while going down a twisty single track road was fine. I have never felt as much fear being driven as I have today

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I was hella confused but then i looked it up and the A30 really does run from Staines to Lands End lol

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The A3 runs from the Monument tube station to the Spice Island Inn in Portsmouth and the Portsmouth end looks so non-descript

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 11, 2024

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Microplastics posted:

Ronmiel I hope

loving love that stuff

gimme

straw donkey

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

NO

IT'S GOT TA RHYME

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

fridge corn posted:

I was hella confused but then i looked it up and the A30 really does run from Staines to Lands End lol

hosed me up when I found out that I moved a couple of hundred miles to go from living just off the A6, to living just off the A6.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Dysgenesis posted:

Nice. I'm currently making char siu fried rice (rice currently cooling and drying in the fridge).

That sounds lovely. How was it?.. I think I may cook adobo this week now you've mentioned rice.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

CancerCakes posted:

hosed me up when I found out that I moved a couple of hundred miles to go from living just off the A6, to living just off the A6.

Funny enough I moved from one end of the A12 to the other too and had to double check it.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Just leaving Aberdeen now i know bozza is there. Currently quite pleasant

I took a picture of the Union Square puddle, what a landmark

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Itt goons learning how roads work

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Itt goons learning how roads work

I have an excuse..I don't drive. I never have. It seems like a huge expense. Especially living in London.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

dinky 1l petrol, ulez exempt, road tax is like £30 a year. parking, speeding, congestion fines etc are just a skill issue box junctions are my nemesis

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I think London is one of the few places where public transport infrastructure isn’t completely terrible.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah honestly if I lived in London I wouldn't bother with a car.

On a similar note, could it please not be 1/4 of the cost to drive me and my missus to London (including parking for multiple days, thanks North Ealing tube station!) than to get the train?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I live in London and it feels like councils are becoming rabidly anti car.

Like not just LTNs which are great, but everything becoming an inscrutable one way system with no directions, new raised crossings and speed bumps that hit like going up a kerb, cameras and fines for everything.

I honestly think the meetings go "yeah just punish those fuckers (please don't minute that)", but otoh anyone supporting drivers is inevitably Joseph Gammon Esq. or Lutfur Rahman

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

i used to live in a lovely city where everything was within walking distance and i wish i could go back

only drawback was the university didnt boot out problem students until after xmas when their second accommodation payment came through, so there was a 1/4 of a year when the town was brimming with cunts

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Only 1/4, unlucky, City grad schemes hire all year round :v:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Strategic Tea posted:

I live in London and it feels like councils are becoming rabidly anti car.

Like not just LTNs which are great, but everything becoming an inscrutable one way system with no directions, new raised crossings and speed bumps that hit like going up a kerb, cameras and fines for everything.

I honestly think the meetings go "yeah just punish those fuckers (please don't minute that)", but otoh anyone supporting drivers is inevitably Joseph Gammon Esq. or Lutfur Rahman

Good. gently caress cars and most drivers too

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm planning a severe mental breakdown in my 40s revolving around the prevalence of cars in modern society

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm planning a severe mental breakdown in my 40s revolving around the prevalence of cars in modern society

it's important to have something to strive for

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame the 3 hours of good weather for this month are over.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

tomorrow the weather is / was forecast to hit twentington

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dysgenesis posted:

Nice. I'm currently making char siu fried rice (rice currently cooling and drying in the fridge).

Both of those things require prep from the day before. :ohdear:

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

Yeah honestly if I lived in London I wouldn't bother with a car.

On a similar note, could it please not be 1/4 of the cost to drive me and my missus to London (including parking for multiple days, thanks North Ealing tube station!) than to get the train?

my unfortunate counter to this is be careful what you wish for

LNER have started doing a much bigger and aggressive demand led advance booking system which means if you know when you want to travel you can get some real steals if you can be flexible (like Easyjet) but if you leave it until the last minute, or woe betide on the day, you will be paying max price every time

fundamentally we have an issue where people want both and you functionally can't design a system that does both

cheap inter regional rail can only be made possible by not allowing turn up and go passengers on it, and similarly, making turn up and go cheap (ie aimed at metro, s-bahn type arrangements) means making long distance very expensive in nearly all cases

we currently have the worst of both

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Bozza posted:

my unfortunate counter to this is be careful what you wish for

LNER have started doing a much bigger and aggressive demand led advance booking system which means if you know when you want to travel you can get some real steals if you can be flexible (like Easyjet) but if you leave it until the last minute, or woe betide on the day, you will be paying max price every time

fundamentally we have an issue where people want both and you functionally can't design a system that does both

cheap inter regional rail can only be made possible by not allowing turn up and go passengers on it, and similarly, making turn up and go cheap (ie aimed at metro, s-bahn type arrangements) means making long distance very expensive in nearly all cases

we currently have the worst of both

I'm aware that there's a snowballs chance in hell of it happening, but I'd really rather we just subsidised nationalised rail travel (because lord knows we already slip enough bungs to private rail firms)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I was in Germany for the 9€ ticket and it was so loving good.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Nettle Soup posted:

I was in Germany for the 9€ ticket and it was so loving good.

Yeah, even other privatised systems are better. We took the train from Florence to Rome about 18 months back and it's the nicest train I've ever taken.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I've got to come down to Bristol in August and it's £105 for a return and I'm loving fuming. Like there's literally no justification for that kind of price lol

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

I'm aware that there's a snowballs chance in hell of it happening, but I'd really rather we just subsidised nationalised rail travel (because lord knows we already slip enough bungs to private rail firms)

my point is rather that it is simply *not possible* to have cheap intercity travel without severely restricting it to *only* intercity travel

which will break most of how the UK network is set up (for example Cross Country trains which are used by commuters between the various short hops)

you'd need to totally reform ticketing top to bottom and there would be substantial downsides for a lot of people vs today - classic would be a commuter ticket from somewhere like Reading to London on the fast trains would cease to exist, you would need to book an individual ticket for that leg, or use Crossrail which is designed as a commuter metro

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

From where I live now, it's cheaper to get down to City airport, fly to basically any western EU city and spend the night, return flight and back home again than it is to get a return train to my parents place in Devon lol

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

legit just checked flights from Liverpool to Bristol but that requires going up to Belfast to change lol. Still kind of tempting as it'll be better than the train change over at Birmingham New Street.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

When I was looking to get my wedding suit made by Suitsupply I looked into going to the Amsterdam one because it was cheaper to fly there then get the train to London.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
Train prices are always a little nuts, especially now when I have an electric car which costs gently caress all and arguably less emissions than a diesel train.

Nationalisation of the trains just make sense, or rather a government owned by shares private company.

While they are there they can work on my Cardiff to Edinburgh sleeper train idea

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Solefald posted:

I've got to come down to Bristol in August and it's £105 for a return and I'm loving fuming. Like there's literally no justification for that kind of price lol

For August, you may well be checking too early. Anytime and off-peak tickets go on sale before advance fares. The Man touches on this. Also consider split tickets, they may save you some money for a slightly different (or sometimes not) route. Perhaps having a poke around a closer date on equivalent days will give you an idea if advance fares might save you?

That said, I still completely agree the rail prices are are beyond the pale.

Starbucks posted:

Nationalisation of the trains just make sense, or rather a government owned by shares private company.
I used to be a proponent of state-owned infrastructure serviced by competing providers (same as with ISPs, electricity, etc.) but I've come around to thinking that it may not work with rail and so far as I can divine, the difference is that the operators are competing over what amounts to a very lumpy and discrete schedule of capacity. 5 operators can't run the same train at the same time to compete, nor can they run just 5- or 10-seat trains in off-peak times to then use the rest during peak times. In the discrete to continuum spectrum, rail is way more lumpy in supply than data or electricity and so the whole concept of dynamic pricing provided by multiple competing operators is hamstrung.

e: clearly the solution is for the state to run the trains and the operators to compete on selling individual seats aboard those trains

Nam Taf fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 12, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

That sounds lovely. How was it?.. I think I may cook adobo this week now you've mentioned rice.

It was my best effort yet. Cooked the rice first slightly underdone and put it in the fridge to dry and cool. Marinaded the pork in a recipe I found online.

Warmed some star anise and szechuan peppercorns in vegetable oil in the wok. Removed them blasted some scrambled eggs, then cooked the pork (I was left over cooked pork so just warm3d it through) added spring onions, peas and carrots and then finally the cooled rice and then the egg back in. Dressed with toasted sesame oil.