Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Thoguh posted:

Since we are having a big language derail, am I the only one annoyed by all the zoomers that think ‘whilst’ is a just a fancy way to say ‘while’ and use it constantly?

I don't know what whilst is supposed to be other than a fancy way to say while

The poo poo that drives me insane is when zoomers say poo poo like "unalive" and "sewerslide". that stuff is not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mags posted:

iirc one of the biggest issues with latinx is that the -x suffix in spanish doesnt make sense

The white people who came up with it don't know that.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Casey Finnigan posted:

The poo poo that drives me insane is when zoomers say poo poo like "unalive" and "sewerslide". that stuff is not good.

unalive at least had a good origin story of - various social media platforms started censoring the word suicide and kill so while talking about poo poo they had to get creative to not actually have their videos get delisted / shadowbanned.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I understand why they started saying it I just hate that they continue saying it even in places where they won't be punished by an almighty algorithm. Very obnoxious censorship. It's not their fault but it sure isn't good for em

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

It's good to me

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Since we are having a big language derail, am I the only one annoyed by all the zoomers that think ‘whilst’ is a just a fancy way to say ‘while’ and use it constantly?

iirc, there used to be a wikipedia troll who's only action was to change instances of "while" to "whilst"

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Officer Sandvich posted:

The Democrats will be violently purged and filled with Manchin/Sinema sycophants to play the role of opposition in a staged democracy.

Uhh bad news on this one

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

i'm mostly worried about the zoomers who developed fake tics or say things like PogChamp out loud

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Thoguh posted:

whomst amongst ust?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rubellavator posted:

i'm mostly worried about the zoomers who developed fake tics or say things like PogChamp out loud

I feel like this is like when the boomers were worried about millennials using leet speak irl.

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

i am also worried about the kids these days. theyre always up to no good. new words, weird clothes. this cou8ntry is going downhill.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Maybe these kids should stop saying “cool” and “chill” and start saying “please” and “thank you”!!! :smug:

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

personally, I can't wait until the next generation has me executed for failing to do anything about the world's problems 10 - 15 years ago

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Rubellavator posted:

I don't think fake tics are a generational thing.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
remember back when someone saying lol in public marked them as far-too-online weirdo

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Succ thread on some good poo poo today, why does language change and is it to make me feel old and dead?

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

luv2shit posted:

░S░U░C░C░I░N░B░I░O░

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Succ thread on some good poo poo today, why does language change and is it to make me feel old and dead?

Every generational shift comes with tension as the generation aging out tries desperately to cling to their relevance

The only difference is that this time it’s actually justified because I’m in the aging out cohort

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Casey Finnigan posted:

joe biden is going to unalive all the watermelon people

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
affordable access to unalive gringe politricks

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Thoguh posted:

I feel like there was a long stretch on the internet where people where our gen was doing that with whilst, whom, per se, etc, that culminated in redditor *tips hat m'lady* memes so it's nothing really new.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Democrats met with pro-Palestinian protesters have had an array of responses to the interruptions — from yelling back to attempting to connect them to Russia.

But President Biden, who has faced a host of cease-fire supporters across the country, has been markedly more sympathetic. Even though they wholly disagree with his Israel policy, he often sides with the protesters’ sentiments.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/4589171-biden-stands-in-stark-contrast-to-democrats-confronted-by-pro-palestinian-protesters/

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

insanity if we go along with israel against iran

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1778811052622258374

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
well yeah genocide joe already said the us will back israel no matter what they do

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

I can't wait for Genocide Joe's approval rating to plummet even further if we go to war with Iran on Israel's behalf.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

remember back when someone saying lol in public marked them as far-too-online weirdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95-yZ-31j9A

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
they're also isolating a ton of another people by going to the right of the gop on immigration

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HallelujahLee posted:

well yeah genocide joe already said the us will back israel no matter what they do

it's actually insane how much of a Zionist he is

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

WampaLord posted:

it's actually insane how much of a Zionist he is

thats why hes the worst possible freak that could be in charge hes a firm believer in it probably even beyond a regular israeli zionist

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
https://abcnews.go.com/538/vote-back-trump/story?id=109090626

The less you vote, the more you back Trump

quote:

And when we broke out respondents by their voting history, we found dramatic differences in whom they support for president in 2024. President Joe Biden performed much better among frequent voters, while Trump had a large lead among people who haven't voted recently. Specifically, among respondents who voted in the 2018, 2020 and 2022 general elections, Biden outpaced Trump 50 percent to 39 percent. But among respondents who were old enough to vote but voted in none of those three elections, Trump crushed Biden 44 percent to 26 percent

I've had this vibe for awhile, nice to see some evidence for it. Trump benefits from higher turnout elections.

And yes, Presidential elections will have much higher turnout than midterms and especially off-year special elections

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

VoicesCanBe posted:

I've had this vibe for awhile, nice to see some evidence for it. Trump benefits from higher turnout elections.

And yes, Presidential elections will have much higher turnout than midterms and especially off-year special elections

i havent checked entirely but the presidential primaries so far have shown the gop voters outpacing the dems by 2-3 times the voter numbers in general and continues even after trump won

i dont know if this translate into anything at all since primaries arent indicative of a general election turnout

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

VoicesCanBe posted:

The more you vote, the more you need
The more you succ, the more you bleed

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Liberals are under the impression that the people are going to punish them unfairly by not voting for them. Like it’s a an active thing (which it may be for some). But the vast majority of the non voters are people that have checked out because they suck so much. And maybe sucking less might bring those people back, but instead they just scold people.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bidens going to get America into a war with Iran

Lol lmao

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Raccooon posted:

Liberals are under the impression that the people are going to punish them unfairly by not voting for them. Like it’s a an active thing (which it may be for some). But the vast majority of the non voters are people that have checked out because they suck so much. And maybe sucking less might bring those people back, but instead they just scold people.

This is the thing that they never seem to grasp. Like they’ll say “you had an obligation to vote for Hillary to defend Roe” and then you can ask them “but what about the subset of voters that generally oppose abortion rights but that opposition is soft enough that they might be won over by other policy? Wouldn’t it be better to try to bring them in on other issues, thereby protecting reproductive rights, rather than shaming them for not supporting Hillary to save Roe?”

“No! Those people don’t exist!”

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Iran's bark is louder than it's bite. They've allowed the US and Israel to build up considerably before any kind of reprisal attack.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

my bony fealty posted:

Bidens going to get America into a war with Iran

Lol lmao

Ah but you see Trump is going to get us in 10 wars so if you do the math...

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Raccooon posted:

that's why i submit blank ballots instead of not showing up

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
this is an amendment to require the federal government to obtain a warrant before searching the phone records of Americans, which you'd think would already be covered by the constitution, but thanks to our wonderful supreme court isn't. this is in the FISA reauthorization bill.

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1778818114437742805

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Zoomers are right again