Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

... it was more about the feeling that using language that gives bigots an inch would lead to them taking a mile and hollering about the future generations being made out of glass and why don’t you care about the increased costs to the NHS of all those x-rays and plaster casts and trips to A&E etc.
Trying to anticipate the ways your enemy might think can be useful, you just have to be careful not to drive yourself mad by internalising that nonsense to the point you can reproduce it in your own head.

I found myself doing this before, thinking about how puberty blockers prevent suicide and how a terf could use that to argue it's a mental health problem and should be treat as such (knowing that mental health care is also dogshit, and what they mean by mental health care is conversion therapy); and at that point I realised I was letting them into my head, spending mental energy making up arguments for them, and more importantly arguing with people I made up in my head instead of taking my dog out and enjoying the nice weather.

The one good thing 99 did for me as a contrarian was point out that I do this to myself a lot, so I warn you: down that road lies madness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Bobby Deluxe posted:

oral thrush if you don't use expensive non-prescription mouthwash afterwards

whenever i see a reference to oral thrush i just assume it's your mouth being full of small brown birds

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That sounds like a much better way to clean your teeth than expensive mouthwashes, if you happened to be a giant or an alligator.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Only registered members can see post attachments!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
richard you wally

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

Just wanted to thank everyone in this thread who has put energy into unpicking all the flaws in the Cass review (double-blinds, etc) and how it's being portrayed in the media. I don't post here much but seeing the even larger than normal bombardment of TERF poo poo in the news this week is upsetting and enraging, and I want to be prepared if anyone around me tries to regurgitate it.

Solidarity with trans posters and lurkers. You are loved and I am sorry that you have to put up with so much constant bullshit

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

He probably gave it to her with his unwashed willy

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if she murdered him no jury would convict her

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

killerwhat posted:

I dated someone from Swindon for a while. Everything he said made it sound like an irredeemable shithole. In this case, haha gently caress you Mr Lister, hope you're miserable

I grew up there and can confirm that it's an irredeemable shithole. I left at 18 and basically only go back to see family.

It's a soulless commuter town.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Train museum is quite good though.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

sebzilla posted:

Train museum is quite good though.

That's true, one redeeming factor. Couple of nice parks too but that's true of a lot of places.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I've heard there's a decent little community/district with some good restaurants there? Old Town I think? Person who told me about it did a decent job of selling it for a visit at some point at least.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

thebardyspoon posted:

I've heard there's a decent little community/district with some good restaurants there? Old Town I think? Person who told me about it did a decent job of selling it for a visit at some point at least.

Old Town is fine and the best option if you’re actually going out in Swindon but it’s nothing special

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

the biggest problem with Swindon is the ever presence of that shithead Carl

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I had occasion just now to look up something in the Labour manifesto of 2019.
It's no longer on their website - but.... the clowns forgot to remove the large-print version mwahahahaha.

Anyone know where I can upload a copy for the interwebs (anonymously!) before they zap it from the labour site.

(I have googled but don't see a copy anywhere else.)

Oh found a copy in the web archive - didn't know it did pdfs before (this is the non-large-print version)!

https://web.archive.org/web/20200212025456/https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Real-Change-Labour-Manifesto-2019.pdf

Large print version:

https://web.archive.org/web/20200724175630/https://labour.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Large-Print-Manifesto-2019-pdf.pdf

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 12, 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://web.archive.org/

Will it let you archive the page?

E: I see we had the same idea.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I keep meaning to donate to the web archive as I do use it a fair amount. It throws up some interesting volte-faces!
Eg IIRC Theresa May as MP for Maidenhead was dead set against Heathrow new runway for several years then changed completely once she became PM & overhauled her website! (been a few years since I looked that one up so I might be misremembering which way round she changed it).

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Huh, I always thought of this thread like a basement with about 20 people in, but it’s actually an ampitheatre with thousands watching, baying for blood.

My posting is about to evolve

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think more like a basement with a cage fight happening and maybe 40 or 50 watching :v:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
God I’ve had dreams like that

Mister Fantastic
Oct 25, 2007
Fallen Rib

Tesla was right posted:

I found out years later that I used to work with feedmegin.

:same:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jakabite posted:

God I’ve had dreams like that

If it's your first time in Posting Club, you have to Post

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Stop posting about the Post Club! *taps rules sign* :mad:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The giant Post Club sign makes me question the effectiveness of a couple of the rules on said sign.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I did actually have a dream last night that I got up this morning to find myself made the the IK of "the wrong" UK thread and having already been pre-emptively probated by the other thread IK for trying to sully their thread

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Chas McGill posted:

Hope the ombudsman is actually useful.

I have some bad news.

Scottish power once started sending me bills for a different account and when I complained they decided to solve the problem by merging this supposed other account with my own. I live on the 8th floor and they were chasing me for months with bills for a loving restaurant. It took about 8 months of screaming at people to get it sorted and to this day the door guy for our building tells me every so often they get power guys appearing “for the restaurant on the premises”.

Scottish power HQ is a couple streets over from me and I should’ve burnt the place down.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nenonen posted:

Stop posting about the Post Club! *taps rules sign* :mad:

The first rule of Post Office is DO NOT try to mail your own faeces to Westminster

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Mr Teatime posted:

I have some bad news.

Scottish power once started sending me bills for a different account and when I complained they decided to solve the problem by merging this supposed other account with my own. I live on the 8th floor and they were chasing me for months with bills for a loving restaurant. It took about 8 months of screaming at people to get it sorted and to this day the door guy for our building tells me every so often they get power guys appearing “for the restaurant on the premises”.

Scottish power HQ is a couple streets over from me and I should’ve burnt the place down.

Cool sounds great

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

OwlFancier posted:

I think more like a basement with a cage fight happening and maybe 40 or 50 watching :v:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I had a car insurer - 1stCentral - somehow manage to open 2 separate policies for me on the same car, with wildly different start dates. I spoke to them a load of times wasting literally hours on hold, was assured that it would be closed, that they would stop asking for money, that it was definitely dealt with this time... until I got a letter from them saying that if I did not pay it would be sent to bailiffs.

Made a complaint to the ombudsman and it got sorted really quickly, plus they paid me some money (think it was like £1-200) as compensation for loving me about.

So sometimes they work.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I did actually have a dream last night that I got up this morning to find myself made the the IK of "the wrong" UK thread and having already been pre-emptively probated by the other thread IK for trying to sully their thread

I can make half of this come true :evilbuddy:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Probation doesn't make my posts less lovely overall they just increase the per-post crappiness.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

WhatEvil posted:

I had a car insurer - 1stCentral - somehow manage to open 2 separate policies for me on the same car, with wildly different start dates. I spoke to them a load of times wasting literally hours on hold, was assured that it would be closed, that they would stop asking for money, that it was definitely dealt with this time... until I got a letter from them saying that if I did not pay it would be sent to bailiffs.

Made a complaint to the ombudsman and it got sorted really quickly, plus they paid me some money (think it was like £1-200) as compensation for loving me about.

So sometimes they work.

How long ago was that though? As an organisation that can hold shifty businesses to account, it's unsurprisingly been pretty neutered in recent years

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jakabite posted:

Huh, I always thought of this thread like a basement with about 20 people in, but it’s actually an ampitheatre with thousands watching, baying for blood.

My posting is about to evolve

Christ, now i feel exposed. :butt:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Rayners hosed then.

Just put out a statement saying she'll step down if shes found to have broken the rules.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that about the SNP motion thing with Hoyle?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Imagine earning 80k a year and still avoiding £1500 capital gains tax, in Minecraft.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

Is that about the SNP motion thing with Hoyle?

Shes being investigated for election fraud over her house.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68801671

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I also mostly lurk unless the conversation turns to things I know stuff about (linguistics, history, insurance), but I just want to say I've considered the thread an invaluable resource ever since the coalition days (when I posted more frequently) and I really appreciate reading the thoughts of the regular posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

Shes being investigated for election fraud over her house.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68801671

lmao, thats even funnier.