Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
It Mando S3 was animated we’d have all been “well, of course, Mandalorians do completely unstructured combat training on a beach next to a lake full of giant monsters. That’s just the cost of doing business!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Larryb posted:

Makes me wonder why they decided to make a live action sequel to an animated series in the first place honestly, seems like it’d make more sense to keep things in the same medium all things considered

One of the initial rumors years ago was that an Ahsoka/Sabine animated series was in development. Then Mando and the volume showed what could be in live action TV, and theoretically Filoni might have pivoted.

One could see how the first season might have been set during the OT, and ended with the Rebels finale flashforward. With the back half of Ahsoka being what would have been a season 2.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

That BB episode was absolutely gorgeous, possibly the best looking the show has been so far.

It was just a 15 minute action scene though and it slid completely off my brain.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, that's the worst of all possible options, so of course that's what they'd go with.

new thread title

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

thrawn527 posted:

I thought it was pretty good, until I watched X-Men '97's new episode today, which really raised the bar on "good". I need more than "pretty good".

Same here. X-Men took the bar, raised it, then threw it at the loving moon.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't really care about what the deep canon is, but Clone Wars/Mando/Ashoka all point heavily towards Palpatine being really obsessed with using the Force to get control over life and death, which is entirely consistent with SMG's reading that he actually has no idea how to do it other than some legends that say its possible.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Alchenar posted:

I don't really care about what the deep canon is, but Clone Wars/Mando/Ashoka all point heavily towards Palpatine being really obsessed with using the Force to get control over life and death, which is entirely consistent with SMG's reading that he actually has no idea how to do it other than some legends that say its possible.

He also just straight-up says he can’t do it in Episode 3:

“To cheat death is a power only one has achieved - but, if we work together, I know we can discover the secret.”

But there’s a twist! You might note that, in the Plagueis legend, two people knew the secret of immortality and neither of them achieved it for themselves. They couldn’t cheat their own deaths, right? So what is Palpatine talking about here? Treating this line as an epilogue to The Tragedy, things get really ambiguous.

The most straightforward implication is that the apprentice either did not or could not wield the power. Influencing the midichlorians this way is psychic ability that implicitly required a high “m-count”, and/or a great force of will. But that’s kinda lame, right? It doesn’t make for a good legend.

So, did the apprentice kill Plagueis because he considered the ability too dangerous to wield? Like, did Plagueis tell his apprentice about the discovery, and the apprentice freaked out because it was ‘unnatural’? Was the apprentice a secret Jedi, like Dooku? Who’s the bad guy here?

That’s the kind of nuance that people just gloss over because it requires reading the text and reaching informed conclusions, rather that just being told what happened.

When folks keep going on about how Sith-ism represents pure selfishness and hate and whatever, for example, did they skip this part?

“[Plagueis] had such a knowledge of the dark side, he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying."

Plagueis cared about people! He had a family! He was terrified of losing his power, it seems, because it would leave his family unprotected.

In the gap between Episodes 8 and 9, Rey has achieved the power to save others from dying but not herself. At the end of 9, she passes it on to Ben Solo, who then sacrifices himself to save her. In that sense, in the movies, to cheat death is a power only one has achieved. Was the legend a prophecy? Is that “Sith”?

So we’re going back to the original point: what is redemption? Was Anakin ‘good’, or does he become ‘good’? According to who? This isn’t just some endless, aimless questioning, mind you. Pure postmodern deconstruction is Obiwan’s dumb stance (passed on to Luke), which is ultimately just support for the Republic: ‘If you have a point of view, believe in anything too strongly, then you are truly lost!’ We all know there is a true socioeconomic justice, and the Republic system ain’t it. But the Disney sequel stuff keeps dodging those conclusions.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 11, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SMG if you start with a bad premise (Sheevy ain’t lying.) You’ll reach bad conclusions.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What's the actual truth behind that story and what are the correct conclusions?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sheev: Tell me, do you know the tragedy of Darth Plagueis?
Anakin: Yes
Sheev: Of course not. The Jedi wouldn't tell you
Anakin: Adi Mundi told me about it
Sheev: Well you see, wait. What?
Anakin: Yeah, he thought he found an immortality power but then his apprentice killed him.
Sheev: Ok now ask me if you could learn this power

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

What's the actual truth behind that story and what are the correct conclusions?

According to the current canon Plagueis was researching ways to achieve immortality but never fully succeeded (and based on later material it seems Sheev was hunting for the same thing). The story he told was a lie though except for the bit about his apprentice killing him (likely to entice Anakin into joining him)

And since Padme died anyway Palpy never had to follow through on his promise and Anakin was none the wiser

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 11, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Palpatine got him drunk killed him with force lightning.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Palpatine got him drunk killed him with force lightning.

I refuse to believe he has ever successfully killed someone with force lightning

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I refuse to believe he has ever successfully killed someone with force lightning

He technically killed himself with it when Rey reflected it back at him in ROS

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My personal theory is that force lightning alone can not kill. It can kill by causing you to fall off a ledge or out of a building or something, but force lightning is a method of torture. It will scar, disfigure, and even drove one insane, but it doesn't kill.

Of course I am sure there is some novel somewhere that will prove me wrong.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Let me tell you about the Emerald Justice...

Larryb posted:

According to the current canon Plagueis was researching ways to achieve immortality but never fully succeeded (and based on later material it seems Sheev was hunting for the same thing). The story he told was a lie though except for the bit about his apprentice killing him (likely to entice Anakin into joining him)
Okay, but that means nothing to me. There is no canon; different canon sources contradict each other, and what is and isn't canon is a corporate business decision. (You can see this especially in the ST spin-off materials, where a lot of it seems to be frantic backpedaling and apologism for the stuff in the movies that's nonsensical or ludicrously vague.) I just watch the movies and shows.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 11, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Let me tell you about the Emerald Justice...

Okay, but that means nothing to me. There is no canon; different canon sources contradict each other, and what is and isn't canon is a corporate business decision. (You can see this especially in the ST spin-off materials, where a lot of it seems to be frantic backpedaling and apologism for the stuff in the movies that's nonsensical or ludicrously vague.) I just watch the movies and shows.

Same here honestly, I was just stating what the wiki page said (though the Palpatine wanting immortality thing is present in the shows)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.starwars.com/series/the-bad-batch/juggernaut-episode-guide

Love how far they've come in terms of exterior shots

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am a bit annoyed that we seem to be back to where we were at the start of the season, but I doubt we're going to have the Bad Batch and Omega separated while she just goes along with her duties. Especially since Omega is now in the vault rather than wandering around.

Surprised that Rampart was still alive, not executed. Though there's probably a good chance that Palpatine was "I might have need of you later". I also like the Imperial officer in the control tower watching nerf video on space youtube or something rather than paying attention to what was going on.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Omega got some very basic training from Ventress, then was put into a room with other Force Sensitives

Methinks Hemlock is about to have a terrible few days

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vinylshadow posted:

Omega got some very basic training from Ventress, then was put into a room with other Force Sensitives

Methinks Hemlock is about to have a terrible few days

May his day be as bad as Rogues or Buntaros.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Larryb posted:

Same here honestly, I was just stating what the wiki page said (though the Palpatine wanting immortality thing is present in the shows)
I haven't had time to effortpost about it, but an interesting aspect of Disney Star Wars is how much of the story is recontextualized to be entirely about Palpatine's machinations. He was conducting immortality research, training a corps of Sith Inquisitors and Purge Troopers, building up a fleet on Exogol, etc. And TROS ends with his granddaughter claiming the Skywalker name. Disney decided to call the entire 9-film series the Skywalker Saga, but it's really all down to Palpatine. Creating the Empire was just instrumental to a longer-term and more convoluted plan, and even Vader's redemption was just a bump in the road.

And we could say that it was all about his quest for immortality, but not really. He went to extraordinary lengths to be like "Kill me you assholes, do it, I loving dare you, don't be a loving pussy, kill me already!" The word Sith went from being a minor detail to being a central explanation for why everything happens. The plot of the entire franchise was Palpatine trying to win some moral victory that only ever made sense to him, which brings us back around to the moral of the Plagueis story.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

twistedmentat posted:

I am a bit annoyed that we seem to be back to where we were at the start of the season, but I doubt we're going to have the Bad Batch and Omega separated while she just goes along with her duties. Especially since Omega is now in the vault rather than wandering around.

They have Crosshair back with them, which is a significant improvement, but I mostly agree. However, I will say that Hunter, Crosshair, and Wrecker seem to be in "a mood", and will be finding Omega soon (also, there's only a few episodes left).

I've really enjoyed this last season, but there has been a certain level of "spinning wheels" that I'm not loving, that's true of most animated Star Wars shows. Can't advance the plot too much.

Again, though, maybe I'm just spoiled by this week's X-Men episode.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

thrawn527 posted:

This week's Bad Batch really was the Alderaan to the Death Star that was this week's X-Men '97. Then again, I suppose it was kind of the other way around the previous week.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

MMAgCh posted:

This week's Bad Batch really was the Alderaan to the Death Star that was this week's X-Men '97. Then again, I suppose it was kind of the other way around the previous week.

I hadn't thought about it, but this is a good point. I mean, to a slightly lesser degree, as far as last week, but definitely true.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

thrawn527 posted:

They have Crosshair back with them, which is a significant improvement, but I mostly agree. However, I will say that Hunter, Crosshair, and Wrecker seem to be in "a mood", and will be finding Omega soon (also, there's only a few episodes left).

I've really enjoyed this last season, but there has been a certain level of "spinning wheels" that I'm not loving, that's true of most animated Star Wars shows. Can't advance the plot too much.

Yea. I got a feeling they're not going to spend to much time loving around trying to find Tantis. They don't really seem like they're in the mood to let Rampart lead them by the nose. If he tries poo poo Crosshair is going to start cutting off his fingers.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

twistedmentat posted:

I also like the Imperial officer in the control tower watching nerf video on space youtube or something rather than paying attention to what was going on.

Most realistic thing ever shown in Star Wars.

All these troopers always on full alert for their entire shifts, day after day, on the planet equivalent of bumfuck Arkansas? Less believable than space wizards.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Most realistic thing ever shown in Star Wars.

I liked Andor well enough from the beginning, but the moment that actually made me love it was this. That quick scramble to hide the food and look busy when the tryhard boss shows up. Too real.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Every scene with the rent-a-cops was incredible.

The jaded boss, the jumped up little swot, all the mooks who just gave no shits and were there for a paycheque :discourse:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Every scene with the rent-a-cops was incredible.

The jaded boss, the jumped up little swot, all the mooks who just gave no shits and were there for a paycheque :discourse:

The boss is great, because he's not even really corrupt he just knows that making too much noise will make things far worse for everyone. Two officers down in a mugging is a small price to pay compared to Imperial Law being brought down on everyone forever.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"They were at a brothel, which we're not supposed to have, the expensive one they shouldn't be able to afford, drinking revnog, which we're not supposed to allow."

:discourse:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
That scene with Chief Inspector Hyne is what convinced me the show was going to be good.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

All the Space Cops know what kind of show they're in, Syril thinks he's the main character of a completely different show. :allears:

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
I love the detail that he regularly goes to Coruscant where he convinces them that everything is fine and they don't need imperial law enforcement in their sector.

Like I can imagine he's from a sector that isn't relevent enough so they just take his reports at face value.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That scene with Chief Inspector Hyne is what convinced me the show was going to be good.

Exactly the same here. 17 mins in to episode one and so far it's the sister mystery, one short action scene, and some slow worldbuilding that feels a lot longer than 15 mins, then BOOM Andor hits you with a character dialogue that's so rich and deep and is comprised of real people talking at each other.

e: and what's fantastic is that Hyne's instincts are completely right and if Syril had just gone along with it a lot of bad things just don't happen.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 12, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s funny how Andor makes Rogue One look so much worse by comparison despite technically being a prequel to it (they took a fairly nothing character and made him awesome), the writing is probably the best out of any of the live action (and possibly animated) SW shows to boot

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Bar Ran Dun posted:

SMG if you start with a bad premise (Sheevy ain’t lying.) You’ll reach bad conclusions.

Palpatine obviously withholds information, but he never says anything strictly untrue in any of the Lucas films. The point is that he doesn't have to; he gives people exactly what they want, and watches them getting torn apart by their own contradictions.

"I love democracy. I love the Republic."

If you think about it for like two seconds, how would Palpatine hide such a lie from Darth Vader for over 20 years? Like, "uh, hey, Sheev? I've been reading through the ancient Sith texts, and I can't find any reference to a 'Darth Plagueis' anywhere...."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Palpatine obviously withholds information, but he never says anything strictly untrue in any of the Lucas films. The point is that he doesn't have to; he gives people exactly what they want, and watches them getting torn apart by their own contradictions.

"I love democracy. I love the Republic."

If you think about it for like two seconds, how would Palpatine hide such a lie from Darth Vader for over 20 years? Like, "uh, hey, Sheev? I've been reading through the ancient Sith texts, and I can't find any reference to a 'Darth Plagueis' anywhere...."

He pitted two sides of a war against eachother, orchestrating a galaxy-wide war that would put him on top regardless of which side won, without anyone knowing until it was too late to stop him.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neddy Seagoon posted:

He pitted two sides of a war against eachother, orchestrating a galaxy-wide war that would put him on top regardless of which side won, without anyone knowing until it was too late to stop him.

Yes, and he accomplishes that without making any counterfactual statements.

For example, saying "I am not related to this 'Darth Sidious' person" would be false - but Palpatine never says any such thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yes, and he accomplishes that without making any counterfactual statements.

For example, saying "I am not related to this 'Darth Sidious' person" would be false - but Palpatine never says any such thing.

Do you not understand the concept of lying by omission?