Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Finally, I was able to update my game and finish the side quest. I booted up my PS5 on my lunch break and beat the G-Bike high score and huzzah! It finally acknowledged that I did it and moved on to the Queens Blood match! I started the match, put down a few cards and then

I loving LOST POWER

The funniest outcome, I waited weeks for this patch and as soon as I could finish the quest the universe said no lol
make sure the savegame wasn't corrupted on the console side if it happened at home. you can probably just download the cloud save if it happened

or just pull out the ethernet cable on it when you get home i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

kliras posted:

make sure the savegame wasn't corrupted on the console side if it happened at home. you can probably just download the cloud save if it happened

or just pull out the ethernet cable on it when you get home i guess

I saved right before the QB match, hopefully it didn’t get messed up. I ended up having to finish my work day at the office so I won’t know until tonight. Worst case, I have a save from right before G-Bike that was definitely uploaded to the cloud. :cloud:

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Yeah there's fighting out of necessity, and then there's just violence for the sake of violence and Cloud crosses that line quite a few times. He would have killed Elena and the other Turks in the temple no problem if the party didn't intervene.

You really think the group wouldn't be too upset about the Turk thing though. The Turks murdered most of sector 7 in cold blood in order to kidnap Aerith, including Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie. You think at least Barret and Tifa would be at least someone okay with Cloud finishing off the ones who tried to murder all their friends. I get he was being merciless about it, but still

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

You really think the group wouldn't be too upset about the Turk thing though. The Turks murdered most of sector 7 in cold blood in order to kidnap Aerith, including Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie. You think at least Barret and Tifa would be at least someone okay with Cloud finishing off the ones who tried to murder all their friends. I get he was being merciless about it, but still

I think they would be upset actually. Pretty much everybody in the cast would balk at killing even the Turks when they weren't in a position to fight back, and Aerith would definitely not have accepted it Barret and Tifa have good reason to hate the Turks and Rude in particular, but they aren't about to become murderers themselves. The fact that Cloud was in a state where he'd have actually done it if he wasn't stopped is what makes his whole deal notable amongst the crew and JRPG protags in general.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 11, 2024

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

True, but at that point everyone is more or less aware that Cloud is slowly loosing it, so letting him indulge in gleeful murder probably isn't a good thing in the long run

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

To be fair, a lot of Sector 7 survived in this version as opposed to in the original, due to them mounting an evacuation. Corneo calls out the attempted slaughter as something of a failure.

That said, Biggs and Jessie died at the hands of Shinra soldiers whom Cloud and co then killed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Tifa and Barrett have struggled with guilt over the casualties from their battles so it makes sense they’re not comfortable with their friend executing someone who’s injured and can’t do anything.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Do I have to max Star these cactus thing with Aerith to unlock the next one? Can’t just beat the lowest one?
Also I think the weakest running chore in each region is the snapshot one, doesn’t really send you anywhere that looks any particularly better than any other place and not a running story connecting each region

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
The snapshots are pretty dumb. Many of the spots aren't even very photogenic or representative of the region.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

It’s oh another photo of the ocean..

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt
it would have been better if the ugly photo post thing disappeared when taking the picture

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

GateOfD posted:

Do I have to max Star these cactus thing with Aerith to unlock the next one? Can’t just beat the lowest one?
Also I think the weakest running chore in each region is the snapshot one, doesn’t really send you anywhere that looks any particularly better than any other place and not a running story connecting each region

You don't need the highest score but you can only do the first two Protorelic challenges on your first visit to Corel Desert. The other two unlock much later.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

okay that answers that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Corel region is weird in that it only lets you unlock parts of it at a time, while the other regions can be completed more or less as soon as you reach them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I have finally become the Ultimate Party Animal. Oh what’s that? It unlocked an even harder opponent in 3-D Brawler? Let me just try this and :fuckoff:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Aerith is streaming the game

https://twitch.tv/thestrangerebel

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I have finally become the Ultimate Party Animal. Oh what’s that? It unlocked an even harder opponent in 3-D Brawler? Let me just try this and :fuckoff:

I despise the loathsome UPA, however it's not the hardest 3D Brawler fight. The hardest one was the only thing that tilted me in the game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

For the life of me I cannot get through the UPA coliseum fight on Hard mode. I can get past the Gigantaurs every few attempts and then it's basically free until I get to the 4th round but that's just a disaster. I just get walloped and destroyed basically immediately.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

doos posted:

I despise the loathsome UPA, however it's not the hardest 3D Brawler fight. The hardest one was the only thing that tilted me in the game.

I beat the UPA quest. We are talking about the same opponent. It’s extremely difficult to distinguish his attacks and he only has to hit you like three times before you lose. Real sicko poo poo

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

If nothing else, the brawl mini game is easy to cheese with the pause button.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Thundarr posted:

If nothing else, the brawl mini game is easy to cheese with the pause button.

I still struggle to distinguish the final opponent’s moves, even if I pause. They look so similar it’s really, really hard to tell.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I beat the UPA quest. We are talking about the same opponent. It’s extremely difficult to distinguish his attacks and he only has to hit you like three times before you lose. Real sicko poo poo

I had no issues distinguishing his hits, but what drove me insane, is that it would sometimes block instead of dodge. Had a few runs where I was one hit away from hitting, dodging his combo moves only for the last one to become a block. And he gets so much meter from a block that it was a rip. It takes forever for him to allow you to hit him. Finally got him in a run where he didn't land a single hit.

Now that goddamn worm in the brutal challenge round 8 can gently caress off. ruined 2 runs so far. I know how to dodge him but the reaper fucks me up and rip swallowed.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I still struggle to distinguish the final opponent’s moves, even if I pause. They look so similar it’s really, really hard to tell.

The difference between Left-up and Left-left is whether his elbow is bent or extended.
Right-up and Right-right the difference is whether his hand is obscured by his head or not.
When going for an uppercut, he'll tilt his head down slightly.

Just use the pause trick and take all the time you need to figure out which pose he's in. He takes forever to let you get a hit in at first, but once you get through the initial onslaught he'll start to become vulnerable more frequently. Also his super combos have fixed patterns (every enemy does) and the first one he uses in the fight will always be the same one ( I think R-d, R-u, R-r, R-r). You should still use pausing though to be safe.

ZiegeDame fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 12, 2024

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
UPA in general is a whirlwind tour of content that should have stopped three or four iterations ago but just kept going, characterised primarily by having you repeat achievements you've probably already accomplished and have already had the characteristic "thank god I'm finished with that" emotion about, but the brawler in particular represents a nadir because at this point if you're going for this level of completion you've probably (although admittedly not necessarily for UPA's quest) already cleared out increasingly demanding opponents and unlocked the secret one and actually gotten a trophy for beating it, but what if, and bear with me here while I blow your mind, you did it again?

e: on reflection i'm not actually certain that you can get the secret brawler before finishing UPA but i can't remember the actual conditions. however, I still contend the brawler UPA is a solid contender for the worst of his requirements, competing with Send In The Clowns in the colosseum. And of course the literally broken g-bike but that was a glitch. Also, this means the brawler still has the same problem, where you beat what you think is the hardest one and get a trophy for it, and now you have to do another one.

The only one of his tasks that really has any business existing is his unique Queen's Blood challenge which, like, is actually interesting, and centred around a unique card, which you then get to keep (I will additionally grant a technical exception to his chocobo race, which is in all respects also completely superfluous but gave us a certain musical reprise so I'm contractually obligated to approve it). Everything else is just Even More Repetition. All this in service of... the Shinra Middle Manager, who for some reason is now getting a fanservice arc? More than the actual content of this quest I'm baffled as to why this guy in particular is getting this treatment, before he returns to service keeping the office functional while the atrocities roll out.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 12, 2024

doos
Jan 1, 2015

It took me a long time to memorize the rushes, even pausing, and lost multiple attempts on blocks only. It was really frustrating. Reward's worth it though.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wait you can get the secret brawler before the UPA? That doesn't sound right

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

All this in service of... the Shinra Middle Manager, who for some reason is now getting a fanservice arc? More than the actual content of this quest I'm baffled as to why this guy in particular is getting this treatment, before he returns to service keeping the office functional while the atrocities roll out.

because it’s funny

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wait you can get the secret brawler before the UPA? That doesn't sound right

Now that I carefully review my records it does show that I did the secret brawler 30 minutes after finishing all sidequests so... maybe not? It's entirely possible that I have confused that with some other related minigame although hell if I know what in retrospect

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fedule posted:

All this in service of... the Shinra Middle Manager, who for some reason is now getting a fanservice arc? More than the actual content of this quest I'm baffled as to why this guy in particular is getting this treatment, before he returns to service keeping the office functional while the atrocities roll out.

Shinra Middle Manager is going to save the day in part 3, trust me.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

Fedule posted:

That's the joke. This generic looking corporate suit who pissed his pants riding the subway in the first game is in this one a beloved savant who's good at everything and gets carried around in the sky by magical creatures.

Up until then you've been doing side quests for all these quirkly colorful characters like Johnny, Butch and his gang, Kyrie and Gilgamesh and your final, most difficult, all encompassing final side quest is against Lenny from the Simpsons.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Upon even further review of my records, I seem to have completed all sidequests and completed the secret brawler before completing chapter 12. It was my understanding that you can only do the UPA quest in Chapter 13 and only after completing all other sidequests and all other Gold Saucer minigames. So hell if I know what order any of that poo poo unlocks in anymore.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fedule posted:

Upon even further review of my records, I seem to have completed all sidequests and completed the secret brawler before completing chapter 12. It was my understanding that you can only do the UPA quest in Chapter 13 and only after completing all other sidequests and all other Gold Saucer minigames. So hell if I know what order any of that poo poo unlocks in anymore.

you can do the UPA quest in chapter 12 after talking to Dio

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hm. So when Cloud is first introduced to Dio, they get into a bombastic punching match complete with a lot of posing.

Does that mean Cloud is a Jojo?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

nm

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 12, 2024

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Hm. So when Cloud is first introduced to Dio, they get into a bombastic punching match complete with a lot of posing.

Dio is a Part 2 Jojo, Cloud is a part 4 Jojo.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

Cloud's Stand is just summoning other party members to do synergy attacks with him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

you can do the UPA quest in chapter 12 after talking to Dio

Yep, I'm coming back to do UPA soon and I've not triggered ch. 13 yet.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I didn’t get a trophy for completing all the side quests after I completed the UPA one, which was definitely the final one. lol this game

Edit: I just checked and I do have the trophy, so nevermind! I must not have noticed the pop up

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 12, 2024

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I completed UPA yesterday so I can definitively say this is the order of stuff:

- Initial games (bike, space shooter, chocobo, battle)
- Once you complete bike you can do QB
- Do all the above and he challenges you to 3D brawler
- Beat that and you unlock the hidden boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I dodged 7 hits in a row on the final 3D brawler and he just never opens for a hit. I don't usually care to mod games, but the minigames in this all need a rework.