Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

If it's a long-sleeve shirt that I wear over a t-shirt, it can go back on a hanger or (more likely) on a chair. If it's a t-shirt or a button-up shirt worn without a t-shirt, it goes in the laundry even if I don't see sweat on it.

The thread has moved on but I just want to say how much I enjoyed this avatar/username/post combo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

ZombieCrew posted:

I feel that if she has a serious conversation with him about it, he will reveal to her that he meant it in jest and its only all the other women that need paternity tests and not her. "Naw baby, I didnt really mean you too!"

He’s just a prankster who can’t resist a funny joke

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Troublemaker posted:

Uh ...

I(29m) am unsure about what to do about my wifes(33F) eating cat kibble?
I was giving my cat a kitty treat, a greenie (not weed) and thought "oh, she really likes these, I wonder how they taste?"

Horrible, they taste horrible. I learned a powerful lesson that day.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh btw, I forgot to mention that he's actually a perfect partner and potential father, and only has a deap-seated resentment of women because he's TOO caring

Ugh. The 'he can't be a misogynist, he treats women like fragile objects that need constant protection' defense. How does OP not get that it's two sides of the same coin.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Also let your kids be kids.

This is important. My daughter loves dressing herself despite only being 2.5yo and I have awesome pictures of her absolutely beaming in her hockey jersey and tutu.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

CannonFodder posted:

I was giving my cat a kitty treat, a greenie (not weed) and thought "oh, she really likes these, I wonder how they taste?"

Horrible, they taste horrible. I learned a powerful lesson that day.
One time when I was really little I ate a Cocoa Puff off the floor, because I was young and stupid and sugar was a rare treat.

I still remember what Ol' Roy dog food tastes like 30+ years later.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
AITA for missing my son's birth to see the eclipse?

quote:

My (36M) wife (30F) gave birth to our beautiful son yesterday afternoon. However, things have been icy between us ever since my decision to not give up my plan to view the total solar eclipse to drive to a hospital while my wife was giving labor. For context, I live two hours away from the point of totality, and have been planning this trip for weeks. I offered my wife to come with me, but she declined as she was not feeling well and did not really care to see the eclipse. When I was about an hour away, my wife called me and told me that she believed she was going into labor. I was doubtful, since she was only 34 weeks, and asked her if she was sure it wasn't just braxton hicks contractions. She really wanted me to turn around in case the baby was coming but I told her I couldn't because I was almost there, and I wasn't going to give up this experience when I wasn't even sure the baby would be born today.

As I was a half hour away from arriving to the site, my wife was blowing up my phone and confirmed she was in labor and going to the hospital. I was getting pretty stressed out, and didn't *want* to miss the baby's birth necessarily, but I wasn't about to turn back once I already almost arrived and I still didn't want to miss out on this experience. My wife begged me to drive back after I was already there, but I refused to back down. We both said some things we regret. I put my phone on silent after that, because the eclipse was about to start and I wanted to enjoy it. When I picked up my phone again on the way home, I saw furious texts from my wife and MIL telling me I missed my son's birth for 'the stupid loving sun'. As soon as I was back in town I came to see my son, but they wouldn't allow me in the hospital room.

Today, my wife and her family are still not speaking to me or allowing me to see my son. I think this is outrageous and I don't see why I should be demonized for choosing a once in a lifetime event over something that could happen again if we have more children. I will still end up bonding with my son and I don't see why it is necessary for me to witness him being born for that to be true. My wife should know that I support her even if I'm not physically there with her. It wasn't like she was alone, my MIL and SIL were both in the delivery room with her. I think that as a father it is my right to see my son and she shouldn't withhold that from me over one disagreement. AITA?
From r/AmITheEx, naturally.

So many bangers in that story. "My wife should know that I support her even if I'm not physically there with her"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At least have enough respect for your wife to lie and tell her you are on the way back immediately, then when you arrive at the hospital way too late say you got pulled over because you were speeding to get back to the hospital but he let you off with a warning

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

FMguru posted:

quote:

For context, I live two hours away from the point of totality, and have been planning this trip for weeks

Lol come on dude, at least pretend you're one of the diehard fans who planned the trip years in advance. "It's been a dream of mine since approximately this past St. Patrick's Day :qq:"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

FMguru posted:

'the stupid loving sun'

Wow, rude. Good thing the sun is forgiving.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There's a 2026 eclipse if you can get to Iceland or Spain.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Enemabag Jones posted:

One time when I was really little I ate a Cocoa Puff off the floor, because I was young and stupid and sugar was a rare treat.

I still remember what Ol' Roy dog food tastes like 30+ years later.
Be grateful your parents didn't keep bunny rabbits.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Pretty sure every rabbit owner has a Milk Dud story.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol reading about other's terrible relationships makes me glad to be a hermit on a mountain with no chance of human contact other than online, and we all know how that goes.....

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Found an update to an ancient post with an absolute brain genius of a man.
9 months ago
AITAH for rejecting my boyfriends proposal even though I've been dropping hints that i want to married.

quote:

My(26f) and boyfriend (30m) have been dating for three years we don't live together cause we both want to get married first because our parents wouldn't agree to cohabiting before marriage. I've been fairly obvious about wanting to get married and my boyfriend has picked up on it. Last week we went to my great aunt's funeral although i didn't know her very well I was still upset and it was really hard to see how much it hurt my mother. So after the funeral we went to a hall that we rented to cater to the other mourners and to remember her my boyfriend saw this as a chance to propose. This left me mortified and everyone was staring at us for using this to make it about ourselves. I said no told he got angry and walked off saying that i'm the one who wants to get married so i shouldn't care where he proposes he also said that if i truly loved him I would say yes. He's ignoring me right now and won't give me a chance to explain. In any other scenario I would say yes but I didn't think it was the right place or time.I'm wondering if I'm the rear end in a top hat because I rejected him even though I want to get married when I asked my co worker she agreed that what I did was wrong but want some more opinions from people who don't know me.So,AITAH.
Yesterday
UPDATE: AITAH for rejecting my boyfriends proposals even though I was dropping hints that I wanted to get married?

quote:

Alot has happened since my first post.Firstly, me and my boyfriend have since broken up. This was for a multitude of reasons the biggest one being that he cheated on me. My former boyfriend and i had not been living together but I did spend most my time staying at his place as I had a roommate and he never.However when I went to visit him his friend told me that he had been cheating on me and had gotten another girl pregnant.This crushed me cause we had been dating for nearly 4 years.This lead to us breaking up.

When I questioned him about why he had cheated he told me he wasnt the type to commit to anyone despite initially prusing me with the promise that we would be in a committed relationship.This was hard for me to understand as we had been speaking about marriage and the future.

When we used to talk about marriage he would always say that he would never be happy in a marriage were he got proposed to as it would be an insult to his masculinity.Looking back on this I should've realised that he had many noticeable toxic traits.He proposed to me at my aunts funeral which is something I will never understand.When I asked him why he did that he initially claimed it was to make everyone happy but when I pushed him for more information he told me it was to show his lover that I was a bad person.

This is because he was cheating on me with my aunts friends daughter who was at the funeral .So he proposed to me to show that our relationship is over to that girl in order to justify why he was cheating. Even though he knew that I was grieving.

Since we broke up about 3 weeks after the funeral his friend who exposed the affair to me told me that because she was pregnant he had to find away to make her not leave him and chose the funeral to make a public display for her.I havent seen him since the breakup and his friend moved all of my stuff out of the apartment for me so I dont have to see him.

His family are very strict and because he is having a kid out of wedlock they have refused to help him so he has been contacting me for help. I havent not responded nor do intend to respond because I will not lower my self worth to help someone who never truly cared about me.

Since our breakup my life has improved as i can now do the things that he never wanted me to do and I've now realised how lucky i am that we never married.
Op clarifies in the comments that her BF's plan was he knew she'd reject him, so he could act like he was the wounded party and break up with her and prove to his new fling that he was now available.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kurieg posted:

Found an update to an ancient post with an absolute brain genius of a man.
9 months ago
AITAH for rejecting my boyfriends proposal even though I've been dropping hints that i want to married.

Yesterday
UPDATE: AITAH for rejecting my boyfriends proposals even though I was dropping hints that I wanted to get married?

Op clarifies in the comments that her BF's plan was he knew she'd reject him, so he could act like he was the wounded party and break up with her and prove to his new fling that he was now available.

Brain genius is right, holy poo poo. And then he's asking OP for presumably money now?? Lmao

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Kurieg posted:

His family are very strict and because he is having a kid out of wedlock they have refused to help him so he has been contacting me for help

I get that dudes are like “well you miss a hundred percent of the shots you don’t take” on requests like this but I still can’t understand why somebody would try and take this particular shot.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

redshirt posted:

lol reading about other's terrible relationships makes me glad to be a hermit on a mountain with no chance of human contact other than online, and we all know how that goes.....
I love your other notable works, Mr. Kaczynski

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Enemabag Jones posted:

I love your other notable works, Mr. Kaczynski

I'm only buff, sexy, rich, funny, sensitive, single, but who would care about any of that.....

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I don’t know why she thinks she hosed up when she got away from a filthy hambeest

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

When I questioned him about why he had cheated he told me he wasnt the type to commit to anyone despite initially prusing me with the promise that we would be in a committed relationship.

I can't figure out what word this is supposed to be

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

haveblue posted:

I can't figure out what word this is supposed to be

"pursuing" is my guess

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

FMguru posted:

From r/AmITheEx, naturally.

So many bangers in that story. "My wife should know that I support her even if I'm not physically there with her"

quote:

I think this is outrageous and I don't see why I should be demonized for choosing a once in a lifetime event over something that could happen again if we have more children.

lol “it’s okay hon, I’ll just catch the next one!”

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

mllaneza posted:

There's a 2026 eclipse if you can get to Iceland or Spain.

and you can take you beautiful baby to it and have the sun empower them

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If anyone told me "my wife is a lousy gently caress" I'd not want them to talk to me ever again.

One thing my wife and I agreed on while we were dating is that we would never speak negative about the other person to people we know. That's just opening the door to negative resentment. We agreed that as soon as someone starts feeling like it is okay to speak negatively about their partner to other people, you're no longer addressing the issue and, in fact, you're dragging other people into a problem the two of you should be dealing with together.

It's such a boomer mindset imo. "THE OLE BALL AND CHAIN!!!"

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The closest I have ever come to complaining about my wife to a third party IRL in our 14 years of marriage was once her own mother grumbled about one of her picadillos and I did not argue.

It's probably related to growing up in a house where both my parents' favorite subject was how much they were unhappy with the other.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

FMguru posted:

quote:

As soon as I was back in town I came to see my son, but they wouldn't allow me in the hospital room.

Today, my wife and her family are still not speaking to me or allowing me to see my son.

Hope a glimpse of the Sun was worth a glimpse of his Son.

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 12, 2024

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol come on dude, at least pretend you're one of the diehard fans who planned the trip years in advance. "It's been a dream of mine since approximately this past St. Patrick's Day :qq:"

"drat, forgot to set a reminder 9 months in advance to not gently caress my wife for a couple of weeks"

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

tactlessbastard posted:

The closest I have ever come to complaining about my wife to a third party IRL in our 14 years of marriage was once her own mother grumbled about one of her picadillos and I did not argue.

It's probably related to growing up in a house where both my parents' favorite subject was how much they were unhappy with the other.

Yeah, for me and my wife, we like each other and as such, we wouldn't want to make the other person look bad in front of other people. When you complain about your partner to a friend or something, the friend is naturally going to take your side and it is only going to make the situation worse. The only reason I can understand bringing an outside person into the situation is in a mediation sort of way. But even for something like that - see a therapist. I guess the reason I don't get it is, as mentioned, my wife and I actually like each other and it sure as gently caress seems like that's an uncommon thing in relationships nowadays.

There is a couple we're friends with that it seems like their favorite past time is to bitch about each other to whoever will listen. To the point my wife and I have, multiple times, wondered "Do they even like each other? Why are they married?"

I hate to stereotype but it feels like such as cis-het boomer mindset. Gotta bitch about my spouse! The ole ball 'n chain is holding me back from achieving greatness!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I know I've told stories about my ex-wife in here but it's been more than a decade since the divorce. While we were together I never complained about her to other people, it just never even occurred to me as anything other than a lovely thing to do. And I've worked at places where it was a bunch of guys and it was just the norm to do the whole "ball and chain" routine as mentioned earlier, each idiot trying to top the last with how awful their wife or girlfriend is.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

bitching about your SO is pretty much always going to come back and bite you in the rear end

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Runcible Cat posted:

"drat, forgot to set a reminder 9 months in advance to not gently caress my wife for a couple of weeks"

What a real eclipse lover would've done.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I think there's probably some nuance to the complaining about SO thing, I think there's a big gulf between just randomly bitching or making fun of your SO vs like saying to a person who knows both of you like "I'm having a hard time with ____" that involves your SO, or even just like venting about them being unreasonable sometime if you just need reassurance you're not being the rear end in a top hat if you have a friend that knows both of you and would be honest with you

I'm not sure "keep absolutely everything negative involving your SO to yourself or a therapist" is really realistic or healthy but certainly just like insulting your SO is bad I think everyone agrees on that

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think there's probably some nuance to the complaining about SO thing, I think there's a big gulf between just randomly bitching or making fun of your SO vs like saying to a person who knows both of you like "I'm having a hard time with ____" that involves your SO, or even just like venting about them being unreasonable sometime if you just need reassurance you're not being the rear end in a top hat if you have a friend that knows both of you and would be honest with you

I'm not sure "keep absolutely everything negative involving your SO to yourself or a therapist" is really realistic or healthy but certainly just like insulting your SO is bad I think everyone agrees on that

as long as your friends don't think they're therapists themselves, which is hella common these days

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

It also ignores that a lot of people don't have access to therapy due to cost/location/etc and maybe a trusted friend is the only person they can talk to.

In the grand scheme I don't think it's terrible to vent to a friend about your SO as long as you're not slamming them and instead looking for perspective on the situation you're dealing with. The biggest issue is making sure your friend is someone trustworthy and not like that one guy's Dad who will give you advice that leads to you being single and homeless because you pushed everyone away.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

as long as your friends don't think they're therapists themselves, which is hella common these days

When it comes to the "trusted friend," it also depends if they are a friend of one individual or of the couple. If one person is bitching to a friend who doesn't often interact with the other person, then the friend is very likely going to take the side of the person bitching, even if they're wrong. That's just natural bias. And that's not going to help the situation.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Biplane posted:

Just popping in to say LMAO if you didn't dress your kids like little fashion disasters when they were young

My mom made me wear corduroys until 2nd grade.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm currently playing D&D for the second time in my life and the DM is using Pathfinder. I'm a wizard.

I'm mostly joking; I find the 3/3.5 design philosophy (which Pathfinder is an extension of) to be extremely uninteresting and encouraging powergaming bullshit.

But also like, a good GM can make nearly any system interesting. Unless the system is clearly the result of mental illness, like Hybrid, or clearly just some weirdo's misogynistic racist fantasy, like FATAL.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

hawowanlawow posted:

can you elaborate a bit on that?

I feel like most people don't think they're therapists per se but probably would try to help beyond just saying "that sucks" in like whatever natural way people try to help, whether it's offering reassurance or just their honest assessment of the situation or whatever

what kind of behavior in that situation do you think is inappropriate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

We don't even know that she was actually complaining though. It could easily have been something like "oh god remember that rear end in a top hat Brad I used to go out with, best sex of my life but I can't believe I put up with his other crap for so long, so glad I got out of that and have a decent boyfriend now" kind of thing and friend decided to poo poo-stir.