Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Just played a game yesterday where we had 3 reinforcements left, but we completed pretty much everything, had a fair number of samples, and made it to the evac point.

There was one sub-objective left near evac - a Gunship Depot.

As we crossed the entire map to get to the evac point, it was pretty quiet. Dead quiet, even. What patrols we ran into were small and could be taken out in a single Eruptor shot. We probably could've called for evac and had a fairly boring 2 minutes before the Pelican showed up to take us home.

The completionist instinct itched, though. It was just one measly Gunship Depot - we could smash it in no time.

Holy hell, was that ever a mistake.

As soon as the first Gunship lifted off from the depot, the entire area around evac turned into bot hell.

It was as if every single dropship, Hulk, Devastator, and Tank on the map had been held in reserve for just the exact moment that someone got spotted just so that the bots could dump everything at us from everywhere all at once.

Needless to say, we did not get to turn in any of those samples that we collected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

I was using the Punisher and first DMR a lot before the new warbond and having a lot of success with both against bots and the Punisher against bugs is real good because of the stun and ease of use against shriekers.

Since the new warbond the Erupter is new beloved, it's maybe a little too good but has some big drawbacks so I hope it doesn't get nerfed. Wouldn't be surprised if it does though, if it loses two or three mags I'll still use it. Haven't even tried it against bugs yet.

But I see people using the Sickle all the time and I keep meaning to go back to that and the Plasma Punisher. They're both very solid guns.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The Liberator with the grenade launcher secondary is really excellent. Highly recommend it for your standard all-purpose loadout. Senator is also good for style points.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Gunships are ridiculously tanky for something which is basically a heavy devastator taped to a rocket devastator in terms of firepower that you can't sneak past and is almost impossible to take cover from. Gunship Factories with a double factory layout are game enders.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

It's ths infinite ammo and consistency that makes me want to always use the Sickle.

After I unlock the Scorcher I am going to try to get the flame shotgun. But that looks like a long grind :smith:

It’s very good on bugs. You can even roast a charger with it in a pinch.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Darox posted:

Gunships are ridiculously tanky for something which is basically a heavy devastator taped to a rocket devastator in terms of firepower that you can't sneak past and is almost impossible to take cover from. Gunship Factories with a double factory layout are game enders.

If someone brings an autocannon and can aim they're not a big deal. If no one does......

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Darox posted:

Laser Cannon and Autocannon make mince meat out of gunships. At least 1 person should be bringing one of those weapons on a bot mission anyway.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Darox posted:

Everyone may know this, but it wasn't obvious to me - the red scanner light they project is what they use to detect you. If you play hide and seek from the spotlight, they won't find you.

That may not apply if you call down a Hellbomb, but you can at least sneak past them if you don't want to do the objective.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

TwoDice posted:

If someone brings an autocannon and can aim they're not a big deal. If no one does......

Or if you accidentally land next to one, like my group did last night. We lost like 13/15 reinforcements in the first 2 minutes lol

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

gunships and other bots prioritizing shooting the hellbombs is brutal for the gunship towers

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

TwoDice posted:

The last double gunship factory I got I was also the only one with an autocannon and the only one who tried to push in. Everyone else was shooting Quasars at the gunships, trying to airstrike the facility, or loving off elsewhere. If those things activate you need to rush them or you're going to have a bad time.

Also the tutorial should teach you how to drop things. Someone grabbed by AC backpack and didn't have their own to swap and didn't know how to drop it, which kinda sucked. And dropping samples before running off to do something dangerous alone is something I wish more people did.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
Rocket turrets seem OK too for hot drops - they prioritize dangerous enemies first unlike the other turrets.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

People who main Sickle, have you unlocked the Scorcher? I never really felt like I needed to return to it, and now I'm flirting with the Eruptor.

I haven’t grabbed Eruptor yet but I often switch between Sickle and Scorcher.

Against Bots-
I grab Scorcher on hot and planets and Sickle on cold planets and then normal planets are kind of a coin flip. I think Sickle pairs better with AC, so if I notice all 3 teammates have ACs then I will run Scorcher + Anti Armor. Need either scorcher or AC to deal with Scout Striders IMO.

Against bugs- I haven’t run Scorcher yet because I feel like the splash will kill me. I love the Sickle but also still like the Slugger against them. Is scorcher good against the bile spewers?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If it was just the gunships by themselves they wouldn't be so bad, they'd just be a dangerous version of the stalker. Shooting down one or two gunships with an autocannon is trivial, dealing with them while hulks and devs are charging in is a nightmare. It's the combination of them being a durable dangerous threat that draws in the aggro of every hulk & devastator patrol in the area and the base having just enough defenses around to trigger a bot drop that makes them a slaughterhouse.

I think the best option if you want to take on a double gunship factory is to first make sure flares are on cooldown and then have one person sneak in to plant hellbombs while everyone else picks off the gunships and patrols from a distance.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Goddamn I can't wait till they fix the lock-on for the Spear. Loving bringing that thing on bot missions for taking out turrets/fabs from across the map but it sure does suck when it refuses to lock on to anything you're looking at or want it to.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Parkingtigers posted:

Autocannon supremacy remains unchallenged.

"Your father's Autocannon. This is the weapon of a Helldiver. Not as clumsy or random as an Erupter. An elegant weapon, for a more... democratic age."

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

piano chimp posted:

I genuinely think the new ship upgrades are meant to be a long-term incentive for players that you're not really meant to grind for, same with the new bonkers high level cap. They aren't as impactful as some of the earlier upgrades and, as the other honourable poster mentioned, it'll mean more higher level players will bother with collecting samples again, helping newbies get their unlocks.

Yeah, I've been using the eagle one and I can't really notice a difference in terms of performance. The ammo one might make a pretty big difference but it doesn't even work.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

space uncle posted:

I haven’t grabbed Eruptor yet but I often switch between Sickle and Scorcher.

Against Bots-
I grab Scorcher on hot and planets and Sickle on cold planets and then normal planets are kind of a coin flip. I think Sickle pairs better with AC, so if I notice all 3 teammates have ACs then I will run Scorcher + Anti Armor. Need either scorcher or AC to deal with Scout Striders IMO.

Against bugs- I haven’t run Scorcher yet because I feel like the splash will kill me. I love the Sickle but also still like the Slugger against them. Is scorcher good against the bile spewers?

I love the Scorcher on bugs, but you have to get used to switching to your secondary / support for close engagements, like you guessed. It's great for the spewer types WITHOUT the armored head(nursing?). For armored ones you seem to have to shoot the sac or switch(it still damages with headshots, but only white, so they take a full magazine to go down).

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
the most dangerous thing you can do in this game is try to hit one last objective on the way to evac

it's suicide every time

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

the most dangerous thing you can do in this game is try to hit one last objective on the way to evac

it's suicide every time

Yeah after a couple disastrous times of doing this, the friends I play with now focus on taking care of all secondaries before doing the last primary. The increased patrol spawns really do make a difference even though one might not think so.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Superior Packing Methodology is bugged, right? I bought it but my autocannon still only fills up half the backpack with a supply box.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

RoyalScion posted:

The adjudicator just has way too much recoil to be useful, the thing kicks like a mule for no reason and makes the auto mode completely worthless while making repeated single shots a pain as well

A lot of y'all don't crouch and ADS while shooting and it shows :colbert:

Jokes aside, you should try the adjudicator with the armor that reduces recoil while crouched and get good at your quick tap scope headshots, stuff like the humble machine gun or the adjudicator are pretty deadly with that combo, it really tames the recoil a lot

E: in fact, the machine gun+supply pack/shield/jetpack+Eruptor+grenade/machine pistol sounds like it'd be proper fun right now

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 12, 2024

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The light armor that gives you explosion resistance and recoil reduction continues to be the best armor in the game.

Things that kills most divers:

divers, specifically divers' stratagems
spewers
unexpected explosions (rockets, jetpacks)

explosion resistance helps with 2 of these, and light armor helps with the spewers

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Okay I really really like the Eruptor. Incredibly strong against the amount of medium armour you see on 6/7 and above missions

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://i.imgur.com/O8WtoNM.mp4

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Superior Packing Methodology is bugged, right? I bought it but my autocannon still only fills up half the backpack with a supply box.

Yes. The devs have acknowledged that it appears to be broken and they are "investigating and looking into a permanent fix", but apparently for some people, restarting the game fixes it lol

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

johnny park posted:

Yes. The devs have acknowledged that it appears to be broken and they are "investigating and looking into a permanent fix", but apparently for some people, restarting the game fixes it lol

some of these bugs seem really...trivial? like how hard is it to find the line that says "magazines += (magazines_max * 0.5)" and change the 0.5 to a 1 lol

but i guess i'm not a game dev

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I love the Scorcher on bugs, but you have to get used to switching to your secondary / support for close engagements, like you guessed. It's great for the spewer types WITHOUT the armored head(nursing?). For armored ones you seem to have to shoot the sac or switch(it still damages with headshots, but only white, so they take a full magazine to go down).
For the armored spewers I've had more success aiming for its mandibles rather than the head itself. Seems to take about 5 Scorcher shots that way IIRC

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Sagebrush posted:

some of these bugs seem really...trivial? like how hard is it to find the line that says "magazines += (magazines_max * 0.5)" and change the 0.5 to a 1 lol

It will be one of those weird and mysterious engine things.

Like how in final fantasy 14 its apparently totally impossible to increase player inventories without the entire game breaking

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Really puts the "Hell" in "Helldiver".

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

missed the whole drat planet

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

insufficient liberty in your heart

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

mirarant posted:

"Your father's Autocannon. This is the weapon of a Helldiver. Not as clumsy or random as an Erupter. An elegant weapon, for a more... democratic age."

:hfive:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Taking the fight to the fascists inside the Hollow Earth. :patriot:

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

I assume the issue isn't with the code of the module itself but for whatever reason it isn't activating for players when they buy it. Like the server database that the player's client consults doesn't give it the correct information. Or something like that

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Mederlock posted:

A lot of y'all don't crouch and ADS while shooting and it shows :colbert:

I'm a big fan of diving forward while shooting like Max Payne. You get prone levels of recoil compensation the moment the dive starts.

Adjudicator is a perfect belly flop gun.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Whats the weakpoint on the gunships to hit with an AC/Eruptor? The jets?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Spuckuk posted:

Whats the weakpoint on the gunships to hit with an AC/Eruptor? The jets?

Engines, they are shaped vaguely like dropships with 4 engines justting off at the sides, the big red light just makes it hard to see.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just shoot the nose

Like anakin said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Does the RR oneshot them if you don't hit an engine? I know the spear does