Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

I wonder what tabletop trapping ended up making them program crappy AIs, or not hire a competent VA director, or design a skill system that makes your guns feel weak until several dozen hours into the game.

PGI's poor decisions can't be blamed on the tabletop game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

On the other hand, as someone who plays World of Tanks, not having pinpoint accuracy sucks so hard.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Firing cone would always help mechwarrior games but nobody does it lol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I wonder how it'd play if you didn't actually see any of the opfor mechs unless you landed a tag on them, otherwise you'd just see a fuzzy ECM cloud and know that the mech is somewhere in it.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Something like the Helldivers 2 aiming where your view follows the mouse faithfully but each weapon has it's own cursor and tries to follow to the best of it's abilities, depending on what the weapon is and where it is mounted would probably work pretty well

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Bring back the MW3 mechbay which had 100% build freedom so every single 'mech in every single multiplayer match was a fast medium with 15 Clan ER Medium Lasers that would immediately try to drill head/CT(and the only thing that kept it vaguely balanced in any way was that the netcode was so terrible that consistently drilling head/CT was very difficult because you had to shoot predictively based on how laggy the individual player was).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jabor posted:

I wonder how it'd play if you didn't actually see any of the opfor mechs unless you landed a tag on them, otherwise you'd just see a fuzzy ECM cloud and know that the mech is somewhere in it.

That sounds like a niche game for the grog or simulator threads, not a generalist game for people wanting to blow things up with their cool stompy mech.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

McGavin posted:

On the other hand, as someone who plays World of Tanks, not having pinpoint accuracy sucks so hard.

You're playing new wot aim code. Old wot aim code would have any result above the midpoint value be hard coded to hit the edge of the circle or outside of it. Missing a maus completely at 100m because your 100mm shell left the barrel sideways. They changed it so if it would land outside the circle it would reroll until it ended up inside of it and changed it so 75% of the shots would be within half the radius of the aim circle instead of 50%. Or atleast that was the big change like 7 years ago

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Kafouille posted:

Something like the Helldivers 2 aiming where your view follows the mouse faithfully but each weapon has it's own cursor and tries to follow to the best of it's abilities, depending on what the weapon is and where it is mounted would probably work pretty well

They kinda do this already with the arm mounted stuff no? I believe it takes a moment for your arms (or maybe torso?) weapons to catch up. Been a minute since I've played MW5.

But yeah, having your stuff just straight up miss wherever you're aiming is from a gameplay standpoint, the loving worst. I'm not sure why it feels so much worse in a FPS vs missing in an RPG but it does. The way they handle it in HD2 is fine as your bullets go where the circle is. I think really what needs to change in MW is it always feels like the enemy mechs focus you too much vs shooting the rest of your lance. Maybe bump up armor values on everything since it's so much more reliable to hit. Make your aim "bounce" the faster you go. Increase the smarts of the AI team so that they don't get stuck on buildings so much. Way less helicopters. loving, no more helicopters please.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My biggest beef is actually the spawning algorithm. poo poo just spawns all over the place, at random, in places it wouldn't make sense. Lances spawn on opposite sides of the target, or tanks will spawn in the exact spot you were looking just moments ago, or it'll spawn behind a mountain on the other side of the map and not know how to path to you.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My biggest beef is actually the spawning algorithm. poo poo just spawns all over the place, at random, in places it wouldn't make sense. Lances spawn on opposite sides of the target, or tanks will spawn in the exact spot you were looking just moments ago, or it'll spawn behind a mountain on the other side of the map and not know how to path to you.

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm the single tank in a barn sitting hidden under a dropship picking up the lance that just annihilated an entire region, my hand on the throttle and my commander saying, hit bro we got this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Marx Headroom posted:

The Clans should be cringey in a Starship Troopers way not a Thin Blue Line Punisher logo way, if that makes sense, and I'm not sure the PGI writers understand this

I guess what I'm saying is, Smoke Jaguar missions should not have a "targets scanned" counter. They should have a "civilians killed" counter, and your CO should yell gibberish at you for walking past a prominently labeled orphanage without firing your lasers at it. The entire game should be the Old King route from AC4A. You should be wandering into minefields and losing honor points for shooting at legs.

It's really a shame that Brigador was made by such huge shitheads, relatedly.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

It's really a shame that Brigador was made by such huge shitheads, relatedly.

was a fun game to blast through then lol yeah. I wish we got a new mech commander where you could individually take over mechs like that

hell even just a Battletech flavored Brigador would be good enough

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

GD_American posted:

god if only we had the Wars of Reaving among modern police

Although, poo poo. I finally sat down and read it front to back this week and it is just warcrime after warcrime after warcrime.

I said it a while back, but the Smoke Jaguars are the best example of "The Leopards, er.. Jaguars said they wouldn't eat MY face" (says person who voted in the Leopards-Eating-Peoples-Faces Party)

"My Khan, we have created an unstoppable juggernaut, cleansing anyone who has ever visited the Inner Sphere. Nothing can stand in its path. What are you going to do with it now?"

"I'm going to stand in front of it to better guide it."

"My Khan, won't it crush you?"

"Of course not. I control it (gets immediately crushed)

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

ACValiant posted:

They kinda do this already with the arm mounted stuff no? I believe it takes a moment for your arms (or maybe torso?) weapons to catch up. Been a minute since I've played MW5.

yeah, arms aim fast, torso lags behind a bit

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

As if PGI would be brave enough to feature an Elemental.

Considering the last minute boost given to RE8 you'd think that'd be a no brainer.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022
What was the name of the mod that made you not shoot after melee if the mech was destroyed?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

jkq posted:

What was the name of the mod that made you not shoot after melee if the mech was destroyed?

Don't Shoot The Dead

(many people in the comments say not compatible with BTA, I'd think probably RT too)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

IIRC the big melee overhaul in BTA a million years ago broke Don't Shoot the Dead and they were never interested in fixing it because they like the risk/reward factor of choosing if you're going to unload 100 guns into a guy after a punch and risk atomising the salvage or holding back and risking missing a kill.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Klyith posted:

Don't Shoot The Dead

(many people in the comments say not compatible with BTA, I'd think probably RT too)

Kanos posted:

IIRC the big melee overhaul in BTA a million years ago broke Don't Shoot the Dead and they were never interested in fixing it because they like the risk/reward factor of choosing if you're going to unload 100 guns into a guy after a punch and risk atomising the salvage or holding back and risking missing a kill.

...drat. Of course I'm using BTA. Thanks anyways, both of you!

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Punching a mech’s head off then lasering the wreck into slag sends a message :colbert:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

ro5s posted:

Punching a mech’s head off then lasering the wreck into slag sends a message :colbert:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

PoptartsNinja posted:

As if PGI would be brave enough to feature an Elemental.

Or a pilot, for that matter.

shoot are there any non-modded BT games that have them?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Pattonesque posted:

Crescent Hawks Revenge :haw:

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Mw3

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pirate's Moon, the MW3 expansion, even had elementals as playable units in multiplayer!

They were hacked in in an incredibly jank manner where they were basically treated as 10 ton 'mechs, and the game's math wrt engine size -> speed fell apart at sizes this small, so it was extremely easy to make an elemental that ran at 180 kph and carried 3 or 4 heavy medium lasers by stripping all of the armor off(because you had no armor anyway and you were too fast and small to reliably hit with the game's poo poo netcode). It was more common to die as an elemental player by accidentally running into a 'mech's leg at high speed and exploding because you had no armor than it was to die because someone actually shot you.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kanos posted:

Pirate's Moon, the MW3 expansion, even had elementals as playable units in multiplayer!

They were hacked in in an incredibly jank manner where they were basically treated as 10 ton 'mechs, and the game's math wrt engine size -> speed fell apart at sizes this small, so it was extremely easy to make an elemental that ran at 180 kph and carried 3 or 4 heavy medium lasers by stripping all of the armor off(because you had no armor anyway and you were too fast and small to reliably hit with the game's poo poo netcode). It was more common to die as an elemental player by accidentally running into a 'mech's leg at high speed and exploding because you had no armor than it was to die because someone actually shot you.

Sonic 06 challenge

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Pattonesque posted:

MW2 lets you play as an elemental if you use a code.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
It's not a modded BT game but rather a BT mod for Crysis Warhead - Mechwarrior Living Legends has you play as a Battle Armor/Elemental when you're outside of a vehicle. It's not lore-accurate but it's pretty fun

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Tarezax posted:

It's not a modded BT game but rather a BT mod for Crysis Warhead - Mechwarrior Living Legends has you play as a Battle Armor/Elemental when you're outside of a vehicle. It's not lore-accurate but it's pretty fun

It might actually be quasi-lore accurate if you want to well actually hard enough. The SLDF had some infantry power armor which was the basis that the clans eventually developed into Elementals. It was dexterous enough to allow the wearer to use normal infantry weapons, but with augmented speed and grip and greater suitability than normal infantry body armor. This gets into the "how big, exactly, is a mech cockpit" problem that BT/MW lore has in general, but some sources claim that you could pilot a mech wearing that, and that it helped mitigate heat issues because it's already a pretty well sealed environmental suit.

But yeah, I assume you're in like iconic 3050 elemental armor in that game, not deep nerd SLDF special snowflake kit.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

jkq posted:

MW2 lets you play as an elemental if you use a code.

MW2 Elementals were both hilarious and absolutely infuriating

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

Mechwarrior 2 & 3 and MechCommander had enemy Elementals.

If you're asking if any game has ever had an Elemental as a character or even a background NPC, the answer is no.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Pattonesque posted:

Mechassault had them as playable units

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

RBA Starblade posted:

???????? had them as playable units

I’m sorry, i don’t understand

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Whichever book I was reading, possibly the wolf's dragoons internal war one had a description of battle armor like 3m tall I think. I thought elementals were still relatively human sized, just bigger.

Reading ideal war now, about halfway through and it is grim. As an intro to wobbies and how they look at war it's brutal

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

ilmucche posted:

Whichever book I was reading, possibly the wolf's dragoons internal war one had a description of battle armor like 3m tall I think. I thought elementals were still relatively human sized, just bigger.

Reading ideal war now, about halfway through and it is grim. As an intro to wobbies and how they look at war it's brutal

Elementals are all over 2m tall; I imagine a particularly large one in armor could reach 3m if you count the missile pack. Alternatively, might have been a protomech but those show up way later and not with the dragoons.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If by grim, you mean terrible, I'd agree. Gibson was a world in the FWL notable for its protections for religious freedom; so when the Word showed up and said "Thomas Marik gave us your planet, swordpoint convert to the Word, or Die" the locals were shockingly unhappy about that. William Blane, politically astute close personal friend of Thomas Marik and the primary WoBbie character in Ideal War? One of the rare "sane" WoBbies? Oh well, nothing for it but to exterminate all the locals under the guise of peacekeeping and Sir Paul Masters, Knight of the Inner Sphere, and representative of the the Free Worlds League is apparently perfectly OK with both the extermination of a planetary population and the Word of Blake's very cool "mercs get paid for bringing in ears" policy.

Blane gets assassinated by the Word immediately before the Jihad because he wasn't extreme enough.

Sir Paul Masters is the most credulous idiot in the entire setting, and as much as I joke about Regulus not being terrible (they're pretty terrible), Ideal War wants you to think that being willing to nuke your own Feudal Space King to stop a genocide is wrong and proof that Regulus is pure evil instead of the truth: Regulus is desperate because the League doesn't have (and has never had) their back, and Gibson is right on their border and one of the worlds they have a good relationship with.

Ideal War was such a sour note we didn't get another FWL-focused book until Star Lord--and Star Lord was so Star Lord we didn't get another FWL-focused book until...

After the Dark Age? :shrug:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 12, 2024

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

PoptartsNinja posted:

If by grim, you mean terrible, I'd agree. Gibson was a world in the FWL notable for its protections for religious freedom; so when the Word showed up and said "Thomas Marik gave us your planet, swordpoint convert to the Word, or Die" the locals were shockingly unhappy about that. William Blane, politically astute close personal friend of Thomas Marik and the primary WoBbie character in Ideal War? One of the rare "sane" WoBbies? Oh well, nothing for it but to exterminate all the locals under the guise of peacekeeping and Sir Paul Masters, Knight of the Inner Sphere, and representative of the the Free Worlds League is apparently perfectly OK with both the extermination of a planetary population and the Word of Blake's very cool "mercs get paid for bringing in ears" policy.

Blane gets assassinated by the Word immediately before the Jihad because he wasn't extreme enough.

Sir Paul Masters is the most credulous idiot in the entire setting, and as much as I joke about Regulus not being terrible (they're pretty terrible), Ideal War wants you to think that being willing to nuke your own Feudal Space King to stop a genocide is wrong and proof that Regulus is pure evil instead of the truth: Regulus is desperate because the League doesn't have (and has never had) their back, and Gibson is right on their border and one of the worlds they have a good relationship with.

Ideal War was such a sour note we didn't get another FWL-focused book until Star Lord--and Star Lord was so Star Lord we didn't get another FWL-focused book until...

After the Dark Age? :shrug:

i haven't reached a part where he's ok with yet. he's still horrified that the wobbies are going a mudering and tallying things up like a convenience store audit

It feels like he's going to put a stop to the insane cruelty murder spree that's going on

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'd actually half want a game where you're an elemental (or a team of elementals) trying to fight and survive amongst the big Mechs (and trying to take them down). Then I realized that it would just get "No female waifus? Just ugly big woke women clanners?" and that certain class of gamer would be screaming their fool heads off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

SirFozzie posted:

I'd actually half want a game where you're an elemental (or a team of elementals) trying to fight and survive amongst the big Mechs (and trying to take them down). Then I realized that it would just get "No female waifus? Just ugly big woke women clanners?" and that certain class of gamer would be screaming their fool heads off.
Good. I want it made even more now.