Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

more like copeland, am I right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i simply avoid using terminals as much as possible

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
At least you updated to FC39 Hbag!

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

mystes posted:

more like copeland, am I right?

we already did that one

Beeftweeter posted:

more like copeland

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

mycophobia posted:

i simply avoid using terminals as much as possible

:mods:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

nice work people, got hbag to admit they posted an anime

:tipshat:

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I use a black terminal background, or maybe a slate grey one, because I am not a child in the 90s running Enlightenment on Red Hat.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

lol i tried enlightenment once. it blew rear end

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i usually use a slightly off-black background (i.e. #111111) with 75% opacity and ~85% blur (depends on what my background is)

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like transparent terminals were a fad from when terminals started doing it as a gimmick when true transparency wasn't possible.

Maybe now people are doing it as a retro thing which makes me feel old.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im doing it because it looks neat op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also every current os is stuffed full of transparencies. often blurred or frosted or whatever, but i think this "i remember when this used to be a thing" take is kind of ignoring current reality outside of terminals specifically.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

also every current os is stuffed full of transparencies. often blurred or frosted or whatever, but i think this "i remember when this used to be a thing" take is kind of ignoring current reality outside of terminals specifically.
I don't think any current os is making the contents of focused windows partially transparent by default

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I use a transparent terminal so i can see stuff behind it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

semi-related but ive been seeing screenshots of people with what looks like real-time stats being printed onto their wallpaper, sometimes with fancy graphs n poo poo, instead of in a terminal and ive always wondered what theyre using to do that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

I don't think any current os is making the contents of focused windows partially transparent by default

windows 11 does that in a lot of places

e: so does ios and i would assume macos, but i haven't used that for a few major versions now so idk

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 12, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

hbag posted:

semi-related but ive been seeing screenshots of people with what looks like real-time stats being printed onto their wallpaper, sometimes with fancy graphs n poo poo, instead of in a terminal and ive always wondered what theyre using to do that
that sounds insanely distracting

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hbag posted:

that's just having it in an overlay on the desktop instead of in a taskbar or whatever. it's not some magic background

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Beeftweeter posted:

that's just having it in an overlay on the desktop instead of in a taskbar or whatever. it's not some magic background

yeah i know its not a "magic background" i meant like i was wondering what software they were using to draw it on there

mystes posted:

that sounds insanely distracting

looks cool though

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mycophobia posted:

i think libreoffice is pretty good

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mystes posted:

The problem with libreoffice is that it's eternally a clunky ~95% compatible office clone, and it can't become better than office without becoming less compatible.

To the extent that it very occasionally tries to fix tiny aspects of office's weird legacy crud, like not having two ways to highlight text in Writer, it tends to end up breaking the formatting of office files.

A word processor that didn't suck would probably have all the layout and styles stuff work completely differently from Word but then it would be impossible to achieve a good level of compatibility.

you mean like abiword or something

does anyone even use abiword? I just remember it crashing all the dang time and losing hours of work and this was just last year or so.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

hbag posted:

yeah i know its not a "magic background" i meant like i was wondering what software they were using to draw it on there

looks cool though

idk i haven't tried anything like that since probably 2002. for windows there's a semi-official (sysinternals) tool that does it https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/bginfo

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

sb hermit posted:

you mean like abiword or something

does anyone even use abiword? I just remember it crashing all the dang time and losing hours of work and this was just last year or so.

it got preinstalled with i think some ubuntu variant i tried a while back. it wasn't too bad

there are actually a plethora of office-like apps now. one of them is WPS office, which indeed does a pretty decent job of emulating office, but iirc there are some insane privacy issues with it calling home or something

mystes is right though, for 99% of what most people do with office the online versions are probably fine and are afaik free to use

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Beeftweeter posted:

idk i haven't tried anything like that since probably 2002. for windows there's a semi-official (sysinternals) tool that does it https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/bginfo

this helped. just googled "linux bginfo" and found out what im looking for is "conky"

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The problem with Word, Libreoffice et al. is that people don't know how to typeset, so they manually format until they have a document that looks fine on first glance. Then you look at it wrong and it explodes into a cloud of glyphs.

You should probably force people to write something like markdown first, and slap them until they get their headings sorted. Also, take away all the manual formatting buttons. Styles or gtfo.

And once they've figured out that all they really want is to write paragraphs of simple text with the occasional heading, list, or image, they may find out they only needed Word to fix the problems they had because of Word.

Use LaTeX, is what I'm saying.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

The problem with Word, Libreoffice et al. is that people don't know how to typeset, so they manually format until they have a document that looks fine on first glance. Then you look at it wrong and it explodes into a cloud of glyphs.

You should probably force people to write something like markdown first, and slap them until they get their headings sorted. Also, take away all the manual formatting buttons. Styles or gtfo.

And once they've figured out that all they really want is to write paragraphs of simple text with the occasional heading, list, or image, they may find out they only needed Word to fix the problems they had because of Word.

this made me look up a markdown-based text editor and i found retext, which might be useful, in the future, for me

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I use ReText a lot for writing md and rst documents, the live preview is perfectly adequate.

e: I also use pandoc to turn md/rst into pdf. They look like I used LaTeX, even though I didn't :twisted:

Antigravitas fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 12, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Antigravitas posted:

The problem with Word, Libreoffice et al. is that people don't know how to typeset, so

weird way of saying groff, nroff or troff

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

f-off :v:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Antigravitas posted:

I used to use lyx and I've always kind of wished that someone would make something similar but intended more as a stand alone word processor rather than a latex frontend where you end up having to fall back on using latex commands a lot

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

I use ReText a lot for writing md and rst documents, the live preview is perfectly adequate.

e: I also use pandoc to turn md/rst into pdf. They look like I used LaTeX, even though I didn't :twisted:

my use case is writing web pages. retext doesn't appear to be able to export directly to html but it does have an html view that i can copy/paste from, which is good enough, as i wouldn't do that until i was close to done writing anyway

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I use pandoc to turn a markdown file into html.

My use case is that I have to maintain some documentation in a CMS that is an absolute shite pain to use, BUT it does have a WebDAV "API".

So I have a makefile that uses pandoc to turn my stuff into html, then cadaver to upload it to the CMS.

I'm not proud of this, but unlike the WYSIWYG editor in the CMS, I can make simple edits without everything falling apart…

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Antigravitas posted:

I use pandoc to turn a markdown file into html.

My use case is that I have to maintain some documentation in a CMS that is an absolute shite pain to use, BUT it does have a WebDAV "API".

So I have a makefile that uses pandoc to turn my stuff into html, then cadaver to upload it to the CMS.

I'm not proud of this, but unlike the WYSIWYG editor in the CMS, I can make simple edits without everything falling apart…

nah that's a perfectly cromulent setup imo. i'd probably do something similar

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

hbag posted:

kde widgets can do that for basic graphs (CPU/ram etc)

I treat them as decorations because if I actually cared about that data I'd open system monitor or htop or something

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

NihilCredo posted:

kde widgets can do that for basic graphs (CPU/ram etc)

I treat them as decorations because if I actually cared about that data I'd open system monitor or htop or something

you can even have a kde widget with htop always open on the desktop or something, but judging from the previous screenshot hilbo doesn't use kde

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Does LibreOffice have better compatibility if you stick to .odt instead of .docx? Could you pass the document back and forth between LibreOffice and Word without it affecting the formatting?

I did this for a spreadsheet, and it had fewer issues when I saved it as .ods.

Dunno what features are in the MS Office formats that I’d need.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
my hot take on transparent terminals is that transparent terminals suck because it makes it unreadable as soon as you have text behind it, but 90s terminal "transparency" owns because it just shows you your desktop background you'd never see otherwise

mystes
May 31, 2006

That loving Sned posted:

Does LibreOffice have better compatibility if you stick to .odt instead of .docx? Could you pass the document back and forth between LibreOffice and Word without it affecting the formatting?

I did this for a spreadsheet, and it had fewer issues when I saved it as .ods.

Dunno what features are in the MS Office formats that I’d need.
I've only tried to open an ods file in Excel once, a few months ago, and it just showed an error message and refused to open it

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

My desktop background is #c2c2c2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
gnome people seem to be the only desktop people doing actual performance work on their poo poo, e.g.

https://bxt.rs/blog/just-how-much-faster-are-the-gnome-46-terminals/

but they've been doing a bunch of analysis and picking of low-hanging fruit using their sysprof tool for the past few releases

so yeah gnome-terminal is pretty deece