Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i got quake 1 in a weird bundle as a kid with Quake 1, Malice (the weird total conversion), and Q!Zone or something. it came in an extremely hosed box that was like one of the cardboard boxes, but thinner and like 3 times wider. like the box for a music keyboard or something

i was really young so i barely understood any of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Fil5000 posted:

The best copy protection was for F-19 Stealth Fighter where you had to identify an aircraft from a top down line drawing of it, ostensibly by looking it up in the manual. In practice they were all so distinct if you had any interest in flight sims you'd learn it near instantly.
Legitimately the first game I ever played, I was six. And yeah, learned the plane database by heart via trial & error.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
I've been listening to the audio book version of "Doom Guy: Life in First Person" written by John Romero. It's a decent book, but could have been edited better, doesn't seem necessary to be as long as it is.

He goes into the shitshow that was Ion Storm, essentially taking full responsibility. I remember trying Daikatana when it first came out, probably the demo. My memory at the time is that it seemed really hard and not very fun, but didn't give it a fair shake at the time.

I decided to go back and give it a try after reading the book to see what it was really like. Good lord the game is terrible... The story and dialogue is written by a 12 year old, the sound effects are bad, the level design feels bad, AI is terrible. It deserves the hate, but still interesting to go back and check it out.

Deus Ex came out one month later, and I definitely recall playing through and loving it. At least something positive came out of Ion Storm shenanigans.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

There was definitely a 5.25" floppy version of Doom. When I ordered the registered version via the phone line, they were out the normal 3.5" version and offered to send that one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Kashwashwa posted:

I've been listening to the audio book version of "Doom Guy: Life in First Person" written by John Romero. It's a decent book, but could have been edited better, doesn't seem necessary to be as long as it is.

He goes into the shitshow that was Ion Storm, essentially taking full responsibility. I remember trying Daikatana when it first came out, probably the demo. My memory at the time is that it seemed really hard and not very fun, but didn't give it a fair shake at the time.

I decided to go back and give it a try after reading the book to see what it was really like. Good lord the game is terrible... The story and dialogue is written by a 12 year old, the sound effects are bad, the level design feels bad, AI is terrible. It deserves the hate, but still interesting to go back and check it out.

Deus Ex came out one month later, and I definitely recall playing through and loving it. At least something positive came out of Ion Storm shenanigans.

I was in a bookstore and saw this book, picked it up, and immediately had to find at least something about Quake, I don't know why. Maybe it's my favourite id game, I don't know. Anyway, I read the chapter covering when they finished it and man, that was depressing :negative: They were all so burnt out that it was John Romero in the office by himself on the day of the shareware launch, uploading it to the ftp. The IRC chat was losing its collective mind, but everyone at id just wasn't there for that moment.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Kashwashwa posted:

Speaking of, don't suppose anyone has listened to the audiobook of Masters of Doom? Thought I'd pick it up as I have a couple of Audible credits to use, but saw it was read by Wil Wheaton which has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.

Anachronox also came out of the Ion Storm poo poo show. Not at the level of Deus Ex, obviously, but still great. Also one of the all timer most painful unresolved cliffhangers.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 10, 2024

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Crosspost from the Post your IRL HUD thread:

making fake Doom images is fun

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Played Doom when it was new and it blew my mind. Thirty years later, I'm playing it on my Quest 2.

The really crazy thing is that Doom feels like it was always meant for VR.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That's probably an effect of the more modern engine you're running it in. Remember how everything distorted when you tried to look up or down in the original game? Yea.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

tango alpha delta posted:

Played Doom when it was new and it blew my mind. Thirty years later, I'm playing it on my Quest 2.

The really crazy thing is that Doom feels like it was always meant for VR.

Not quite VR, but it was designed with wraparound display support https://youtu.be/q3NQQ7bPf6U?si=LbvaJf-7cR3Qpuqh

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The big update is out for the System Shock remake, along with a 55%-off sale. If you haven't been paying attention, this adds a female player model option, a completely redone finale, optimisations for the Steam Deck crowd, and a list of changes and fixes about as long as your arm.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Plutonia has so many gently caress off traps... I just finished map 8 on UV and I had chaingunners warp in on both sides of me after picking up a key, then the platform with the exit portal spawned TWO ARCHVILES and a bunch of revenants.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yup. And it only gets better from there, Plutonia owns.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Serephina posted:

That's probably an effect of the more modern engine you're running it in. Remember how everything distorted when you tried to look up or down in the original game? Yea.

I can confidently say I don't remember the view getting distorted when you looked up or down in the original release of doom.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

I can confidently say I don't remember the view getting distorted when you looked up or down in the original release of doom.

:amen:

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I like to imagine Doom Guy was in a neckbrace until 4.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Flubby posted:

I like to imagine Doom Guy was in a neckbrace until 4.

Turns out UAC marine armor was built exactly like Michael Keaton's Batman suit and there was no neck articulation. The Praetor Suit fixes this oversight.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

nah, it represents his singular focus and relentless forward momentum diegetically

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Kins posted:

The big update is out for the System Shock remake, along with a 55%-off sale. If you haven't been paying attention, this adds a female player model option, a completely redone finale, optimisations for the Steam Deck crowd, and a list of changes and fixes about as long as your arm.

I'm between games at the minute so seemed a good time to give this a go. Only wanted to have a quick look at the Steam Deck focused updates and controls but ended up getting sucked in and completing medical.

For anyone interested, the Steam Deck improvements are as advertised and it's now a significantly better experience on there. Controls are good too - bodes equally well for the console release if anyone here is waiting for that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Bumhead posted:

For anyone interested, the Steam Deck improvements are as advertised and it's now a significantly better experience on there. Controls are good too - bodes equally well for the console release if anyone here is waiting for that.

Excellent!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I'm getting a PS5 physical copy both for my collection and to eventually play it there. I'll still play it on PC first.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I'm not going to get System Shock right away but I guess I'll put it on my wishlist for later. Never played it before.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Grimthwacker posted:

I'm not going to get System Shock right away but I guess I'll put it on my wishlist for later. Never played it before.

I played a fair amount of SS2 when it first came out but have zero experience with the original, and I had a blast with the remake. Easily one of my favorite games of 2023.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Baron von Eevl posted:

You know, I was absolutely certain I'd seen that distortion well before I'd ever heard of gzdoom, but apparently I must have seen it in Hexen or something instead of Doom. I think I'll stand by my point however; even as a kid who was being spooked, the world felt full of artifice. The only time I really felt... uh, immersed (?) was when trying to spy what the outside, since the skyboxes where so cool.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Serephina posted:

The true 3D engine helps but I kinda get what they mean. I think it might be the consistent sense of scale? A lot of early 3D games hosed that up, like Duke Nukem 3D's light switches that are the size of a dinnerplate.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Baron von Eevl posted:

It did not because you couldn't look up or down in the original release of doom, but you could look up and down in Heretic and Hexen. This was done through a simple and clever rendering hack and is distorted in the way discussed. Duke 3d's original renderer works the same way.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Serephina posted:

You know, I was absolutely certain I'd seen that distortion well before I'd ever heard of gzdoom, but apparently I must have seen it in Hexen or something instead of Doom. I think I'll stand by my point however; even as a kid who was being spooked, the world felt full of artifice. The only time I really felt... uh, immersed (?) was when trying to spy what the outside, since the skyboxes where so cool.

Artifice used to mean skillfully crafted :colbert:

I do agree about the skyboxes though

koren posted:

It did not because you couldn't look up or down in the original release of doom, but you could look up and down in Heretic and Hexen. This was done through a simple and clever rendering hack and is distorted in the way discussed. Duke 3d's original renderer works the same way.

I kinda like the up/down distortion. It wouldn't be the same without it

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
ROTT Ludicrous Edition has received a big update, adding multiplayer to the console ports (with full cross-play with pc), level stats on the automap, one final alternate actor from the cutting room floor, 4k 120fps support on Xbox Series, and the usual assortment of bug fixes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtpImURZq6c

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

skasion posted:

There might be other options out there but I use the Marathon 2 Special Edition plugin since it's drag and drop, no need to delve into lua. Mixture of M1 remixes and fanmade tracks.

I'm not aware of any comparable project for Infinity sadly.

Since I posted this, someone has stepped up to the plate and provided a Marathon Infinity fan soundtrack plugin!

Preview available on Bandcamp

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Kins posted:

ROTT Ludicrous Edition has received a big update, adding multiplayer to the console ports (with full cross-play with pc), level stats on the automap, one final alternate actor from the cutting room floor, 4k 120fps support on Xbox Series, and the usual assortment of bug fixes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtpImURZq6c

skasion posted:

Since I posted this, someone has stepped up to the plate and provided a Marathon Infinity fan soundtrack plugin!

gently caress yeah!

edit: also for anyone that didn't pick up ROTT: LE yet, there's a big FPS sale on Steam next week!

Convex fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 12, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd4ffQlZnnc

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That reminds me, what was the name of that indie, medieval FPS that came out a year or so ago? I think it was using digitized sprites.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mordja posted:

That reminds me, what was the name of that indie, medieval FPS that came out a year or so ago? I think it was using digitized sprites.

Arthurian Legends: https://store.steampowered.com/app/658890/Arthurian_Legends/

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

I actually tried to install and play this just today, and it freezes at the developer logo :(

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
It’s insanely badly optimised, unfortunately

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

koren posted:

Well yeah, that was my point.

I played a little heretic/hexen but I remember that effect most from duke3d.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

skasion posted:

Sweet!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s insanely badly optimised, unfortunately

yeah i would genuinely say that there's a lot of things about it that make it unpleasant. i think it plays a large part in why it never gets mentioned.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSTClUnCHoc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

What is Phantom Fury?

It's an FPS; hobby-grade coop campaign; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Phantom Fury heroes!