Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Chop Sewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

why does it cut off where it does? I wanted to see his answer.

lol at this reply, tho:

https://twitter.com/PodcastEnjoyer2/status/1778835587052515581

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

say it out loud

I had to do this like 5 times before I got it.

I like my interp better, tho.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I like that it's hippie boomers gently suggesting to fet-man that he's overvaluating israeli lives, because he prolly would've been more aggro with youngs in keffiyehs approaching him & instead he's just sitting there like a dumbass.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I’m always surprised when fetty man opens his mouth like his voice is too small and mousey for his ogre body

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

glenn feasts
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1778775884960592376

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1778833890028798212

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1778824467193442749

i sure do love these Hate Speech laws keeping me safe
https://twitter.com/DiEM_25/status/1778806437365399665

https://twitter.com/derJamesJackson/status/1776184707597705484

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

dtg

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

mcmagic posted:

Gore would have 100% invaded Afghanistan. I don't think he would've invaded Iraq just because he wouldn't have had the project for a new american century neo cons in his administration who had a hardon for Saddam for the previous decade.

Gore wouldn't have invaded anyone because he would've been immediately impeached and maybe executed for willingly, recklessly, and negligently allowing the American's homeland to be attacked.

Lieberman would have attacked Afghanistan and Iraq and probably Iran.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Glenn's right

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

Glenn's right wing

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Down To Glennpost

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

he’s right

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I read this the other day & lol'd:

quote:

Former CIA Director John Brennan criticized former President Trump in an interview with a Belgian state broadcaster published Sunday, saying Trump isn’t qualified to handle national security matters.

“I think he didn’t believe what we were telling him,” Brennan said in the interview with RTBF, referring to a meeting on national security he had with Trump before his inauguration in 2017.

“And he was especially trying to find out how we knew what we knew about Russian interference in the election,” Brennan continued.

“According to me, he was not qualified at the time, and he is not qualified today. We could see in particular that he did not understand the importance of the United States’s relations with our foreign allies and partners. He has little recognition for the transatlantic relationship, for NATO.”

In the interview, Brennan also expressed his concern about the former president not supporting Ukraine in its war against Russia.

He said Trump can undermine Kyiv in a variety of ways, for example by telling American intelligence not to help Ukrainian counterparts or by cutting off financial and military aid.

“And that would give Vladimir Putin the green light to try to almost swallow up Ukraine,” Brennan said. “And unfortunately, I think it will encourage [Russian President Vladimir Putin] to look hungrily toward the rest of Europe.”

Brennan, who served as CIA director under former President Obama, is a frequent critic of his ex-boss’s successor. In the wake of the 2020 presidential election, Brennan said he planned to “ignore Trump” and would “leave his fate to our judicial system, his infamy to history, [and] his legacy to a trash heap.”

“For four years, I spoke out vigorously against Donald Trump’s craven dishonesty, corrupt pursuit of personal interests, & trampling of our democratic principles,” Brennan said in a series of posts on then-Twitter in November 2020. “After serving over three decades in national security, I felt compelled to condemn Trump’s depravity & incompetence.”

this sure goes a long way toward explaining the letter agencies' project to do everything they could to ensure biden won in 2020, as well as their involvement in secretly censoring media that "undermined" our government & its fine institutions.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm afraid to ask what a sewerslide is... is it a poop chute, ie butthole?

:okboomer:

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

B-b-but warrant requirements were tying the hands of our brave members of the intelligence community :qq:

Yeah....Glenn's 100% right.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Willa Rogers posted:

why does it cut off where it does? I wanted to see his answer.

lol at this reply, tho:

https://twitter.com/PodcastEnjoyer2/status/1778835587052515581

It’s always fun to see how mad politicians get when they’re asked questions by people who’s job isn’t dependent on them maintaining access

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

If you had an undergraduate who confidently wrote that Achilles had no notion of being embodied because only his limbs and soma, corpse, could be described, you would assume they had been kicked by a mule.

Apparently, there are people who believe that ancient Greeks could not see the colour blue for similar reasons. Not sure if they were ever undergraduates though.

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

frankly, i don't think we have a large enough sample size to say this confidently

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Apparently, there are people who believe that ancient Greeks could not see the colour blue for similar reasons. Not sure if they were ever undergraduates though.

yeah that’s true

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Dommolus Magnus posted:

isnt that mostly because of Anti-Fragile? Talib was the main person i saw put that forward and eventually recanted

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

post hole digger posted:

isnt that mostly because of Anti-Fragile? Talib was the main person i saw put that forward and eventually recanted

The main source is because Homer (you know, a blind guy) kept on calling it "the wine-dark sea" and people were like, "hmm, this means greeks can't see blue."

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

sullat posted:

The main source is because Homer (you know, a blind guy) kept on calling it "the wine-dark sea" and people were like, "hmm, this means greeks can't see blue."

right. thats talib's source in anti-fragile as well. i assumed that was just some poo poo he came up with tho.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

sullat posted:

I remember the argument also went something like: there's no naturally-occurring blue color in the world, so ancient people were never exposed to blue and thus never developed language for it or even the ability for their brains to process it. Like the experiments where you blindfold a baby monkey or whatever and then it's never able to see properly because it had no visual stimulus when its brain was developing. So humans only gained the ability so see blue once blue pigment was invented and we started painting things blue and so on.

But...like...there is blue in nature. Bluebonnets, bluejays, blueberries, turquoise, sapphires, lapis lazuli, the sky?

If people didn't see blue, why were blue pigments from Afghanistan so prized in the ancient world, wouldn't they just look like any cheaper wine-dark pigment you could get at home? How did rare expensive blue pigments even get invented in the first place if no one needed them or could distinguish them from wine? Why do we find evidence of blue paint on ancient Greek buildings like the Parthenon (OK it was 5th century BC and Homer was 8th century, so were those 300 years the critical ones when people started seeing blue?) But even then you can find blue tiles from the 30th century BC in Egypt soooo

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Raccooon posted:

Liberals are under the impression that the people are going to punish them unfairly by not voting for them. Like it’s a an active thing (which it may be for some). But the vast majority of the non voters are people that have checked out because they suck so much. And maybe sucking less might bring those people back, but instead they just scold people.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

An idiot: "My uncle passed away recently"

Me, a genius: "Passed away where, mother fucker? You mean he died?"

"If there was actual ambiguity, you wouldn't be able to correct me. Checkmate, prescriptivists."

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

No doubt Gore would have felt like he "had" to invade to "prove" that democrats can be tough against "America's enemies".

what a great reality that would have been since of course republicans would have done the same things democrats did and refuse to attack the ruling political party in any way since the most important thing in that moment we all agreed was to put on a united front

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

post hole digger posted:

right. thats talib's source in anti-fragile as well. i assumed that was just some poo poo he came up with tho.

No, it’s a real debate.

VitalSigns did a great job explaining it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Thats the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard, Homer used tons of little turns of phrase because he used a ton of mnemonic aids and that was one of them, it doesn't prove they can't see blue (how the gently caress would that even work, are Greeks aliens)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

I remember the argument also went something like: there's no naturally-occurring blue color in the world, so ancient people were never exposed to blue and thus never developed language for it or even the ability for their brains to process it. Like the experiments where you blindfold a baby monkey or whatever and then it's never able to see properly because it had no visual stimulus when its brain was developing. So humans only gained the ability so see blue once blue pigment was invented and we started painting things blue and so on.

But...like...there is blue in nature. Bluebonnets, bluejays, blueberries, turquoise, sapphires, lapis lazuli, the sky?

If people didn't see blue, why were blue pigments from Afghanistan so prized in the ancient world, wouldn't they just look like any cheaper wine-dark pigment you could get at home? How did rare expensive blue pigments even get invented in the first place if no one needed them or could distinguish them from wine? Why do we find evidence of blue paint on ancient Greek buildings like the Parthenon (OK it was 5th century BC and Homer was 8th century, so were those 300 years the critical ones when people started seeing blue?) But even then you can find blue tiles from the 30th century BC in Egypt soooo

It’s basically the same thing as Charlemagne truthers where if you stop and think about it for a few seconds it falls apart but nobody who is buying into it is the type to stop and think

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Also, just heard that Nordberg OJ died.

michael moore had some interesting thoughts about oj i posted them in the oj thread but lobster shirt was astonished at his doctrine and punished me for spreading his truth

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

There are people who argue that people didn’t understand time, like a sequence of chronological events with cause and effect, until pretty late because it takes a while to show up explicitly and boringly detailed in writing until later, and of course if the written word doesn’t present an idea it can’t exist.

Hence Latine.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

im branching out heavy into horseradishes this year

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

https://x.com/JRubinBlogger/status/1778785461105750233

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It’s basically the same thing as Charlemagne truthers where if you stop and think about it for a few seconds it falls apart but nobody who is buying into it is the type to stop and think

These are the same people who think that the Japanese think Green and Blue are the same color and can't tell the difference. When they definitely can tell the difference, and they just group colors differently from us in the West.

https://ottowretling.medium.com/why-so-many-things-are-described-as-blue-in-japanese-1db0835dc046

quote:

These four colors were used to describe all shades of color. Anything pink, orange, green, yellow, etc. would have been described as a shade of either blue, red, black, or white.

The color blue used to include what is now called purple, gray, and green. One example of this that still lives on to this day is the grey heron, which is called a blue heron(青鷺) in Japanese.

Many other languages and cultures have the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

https://twitter.com/mcinthedc/status/1778517174799225067