Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Jerusalem posted:

I really hope the next episode of Discovery opens with "Okay cool, with this bug they planted on you that our hyper advanced security system immediately detected, we can plant false leads to capture those two."

Probably not. But either way. I laughed out loud at the end of episode reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i want lower decks

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mx. posted:

i want lower decks

Possibly in like August-september'ish if production takes about as long as usual!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

mllaneza posted:

Probably not. But either way. I laughed out loud at the end of episode reveal.

I look forward to the explanation of how they managed to follow them at all. :allears:

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Have they said anything about Prodigy? Except for it leaking of a French streaming service.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

TuxedoOrca posted:

Have they said anything about Prodigy? Except for it leaking of a French streaming service.

Not a leak, the French broadcaster simply released it because their contract said they could.

The latest re: an English release is "we'll announce it when we can".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

Y'know, I'm pretty sure the original intention for Black Alert was 'we're about to do something classified not everyone on the ship is authorised to know all about, unauthorised personnel remove yourself from necessary areas', but because it was the thing they said before the Spore Drive the writers kept it as the thing they say before Spore Drive even now the original meaning doesn't apply. (hell, given Discovery's production issues, there might not be anyone left from back then)

Yeah, I always got the impression the original draft was for a lab-of-the-week Eureka-like show on a ship full of mad science, with Stamets just being Angry Project Chief of the Week, then rewrites missed the point of all that, and they then Flandarized a whole season out of just the Spore Drive instead.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I liked jerkass Stamets :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Apollodorus posted:

I liked jerkass Stamets :colbert:

Didn't mean to infer he was bad, he really isn't, just that I reckon there's a draft somewhere where his role was more minor or one-off and next week you'd have had a different Jerkass Scientist with his pet Super-Destructo-Phaser project that destroys planets or something.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, I always got the impression the original draft was for a lab-of-the-week Eureka-like show on a ship full of mad science, with Stamets just being Angry Project Chief of the Week, then rewrites missed the point of all that, and they then Flandarized a whole season out of just the Spore Drive instead.

Hmm, nah the spore drive leading to the mirror universe is a core part of the S1 story arc - it's Lorca's secret plan and motivation. It's played very differently to how Fuller would have done it, but I think the real divergence is when happens when Discovery crosses over.

e: stamens being a core part of the spore drive story. I think what was supposed to be made more of was the lengths he want to and rules he broke, including gene splicing himself with a space bug, to get there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The original plan with discovery was that it was going to be a lab-of-the-season, not lab-of-the-week. Discovery would be starfleet's weird experiment ship and each season's arc would involve some new ridiculous thing it can do or bizarre abomination of science.

Fuller's season one would've started with the war kicking off, then we get introduced to the spore drive, the spore drive malfunctions relatively early on and we get flung into alternate possibilities and Burnham faces a world where she didn't mutiny, sliding doors style. The war would be the motivation of the spore experiments but the show wouldn't dive into it as much until season 2, when it would be the main arc. Discovery would have chameleon abilities and pretend to be a klingon ship and go undercover in the empire. (It's one reason why the ship is laid out roughly similar to a D7)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 12, 2024

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Mx. posted:

i want lower decks

https://www.startrek.com/en-us/news/lower-decks-conclude-fifth-final-season

https://twitter.com/StarTrekOnPPlus/status/1778861026811031837

Strange New Worlds was renewed for Season 4. Lower Decks is cancelled.

I imagine it has to do with the viability of the streaming model and Paramount+'s financial situation, but Mike McMahan had been sounding the alarm for a while.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Those motherfuckers

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Five seasons feels like the end date for a lot of shows and based on declining quality after that, usually for the best.

Feels like we've only had two seasons of LDS.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
Ahh Paramount CBS.

"Let's pour tons of money into a mass-appeal revival nobody likes of a popular show from 30 years ago (Frasier), while we kill the more niche shows its fans are actually watching."

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Good news! They're not going to scrub the show from existance!

for now

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Feel like this is one where I should buy the dvds

E: or make them if there aren't any

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

gently caress gently caress gently caress fuckity gently caress.

Wonder where they are on the pipeline, I hope they have a chance to do the ending knowing it's definitely the ending. (Admittedly, even if not, they've known for a while there was a good chance this was the ending, so there'll probably be some finality, but if they have a chance to do the ending after it was certain then they can give us a flashforward to Captain Boimler on the USS Modesto or something.)

The Last Call posted:

Five seasons feels like the end date for a lot of shows and based on declining quality after that, usually for the best.

Well we've had 40 episodes. Two season of old trek.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

All good things, I guess.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Glad SNW is getting at least two more seasons, but god loving dammit for Lower Decks. :(

Phy posted:

Feel like this is one where I should buy the dvds

E: or make them if there aren't any
The one thing Paramount does right is put all the Trek shows on physical media. Wish other streaming services would follow suit there.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

MikeJF posted:

gently caress gently caress gently caress fuckity gently caress.

Wonder where they are on the pipeline, I hope they have a chance to do the ending knowing it's definitely the ending. (Admittedly, even if not, they've known for a while there was a good chance this was the ending, so there'll probably be some finality, but if they have a chance to do the ending after it was certain then they can give us a flashforward to Captain Boimler on the USS Modesto or something.)

Well we've had 40 episodes. Two season of old trek.

It had enough for two or three seasons until the characters fully promote out of the lower decks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Last Call posted:

It had enough for two or three seasons until the characters fully promote out of the lower decks.

McMahan said in an interview a while back he had rough plans through to a season 7.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

MikeJF posted:

McMahan said in an interview a while back he had plans through to a season 7.

Makes sense since that's when I figured it would end anyway, because all of the 24th century shows (TNG, DS9, VOY) ran for 7 seasons.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

He also said he kinda hoped they hit a season 8 because he had no idea what he'd do and would probably end up doing something batshit insane off-the-wall.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Lower Decks is going to end with Riker and Troi in the holodeck watching a recreation of a critical decision Boimler makes, with Troi later remarking "Why did we watch that Will, it was last week. You could have just reached out to talk to him about why he did that."

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Last Call posted:

A season these days is half a normal season at best. Still glad we got as many as we did. Would've loved to see what they could do with a full seasons worth of episodes each time, but same for SNW too.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This stupid goddamn era of streaming is going to go down in history as a giant graveyard of missed opportunities and shows killed before their time just to marginally improve some figures on a spreadsheet before the next shareholder meeting.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Maybe LDS S5 will have 400 episodes

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Man that hits hard. But hey, 5 seasons is more than TAS got. 🫠

Glad that SNW is confirmed for a 4th season, I doubt it will go for more after that with the way things are going.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Bummed about Lower Decks cancellation. They found their footing faster than the average Trek show, but it really felt like they had a lot of gas left in the tank.

The bluray of season 4 is coming out next week. Now I'm wondering if there's going to be any hint of this in the commentary tracks...

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

very sad LDS is cancelled. best trek in years.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Man that hits hard. But hey, 5 seasons is more than TAS got. 🫠

Glad that SNW is confirmed for a 4th season, I doubt it will go for more after that with the way things are going.

Yeah, maybe I’m a cynic, but I’m legit surprised SNW got renewed for a season four. I think that’ll be the last one, though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

With SNW positioned as flagship and so popular, if they cancel SNW that means they're cancelling NuTrek as a whole. So yeah, might happen.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

hosed up Kurtzman added his name to this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eh, not really, for all the guff he gets Kurtzman apparently did have LDS and PRO's backs and fought all the bullshit as hard as he could.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

MikeJF posted:

With SNW positioned as flagship and so popular, if they cancel SNW that means they're cancelling NuTrek as a whole. So yeah, might happen.
I know this is the exact opposite of the thoughts of the rest of the thread, but with how popular Picard season 3 was (despite all reason) I think they do have Legacy in the pipeline because they think that's what viewers want to see, and will wind down the current shows to get the money for it. I do hope we at least get 5 seasons of SNW though, 5 seems to be the new 7.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

ugh, what lovely bullshit

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

Eh, not really, for all the guff he gets Kurtzman apparently did have LDS and PRO's backs and fought all the bullshit as hard as he could.

Kurtzman has become an irrational internet boogeyman just like Kathleen Kennedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Five seasons isn't *bad* but yeah they could easily have done more.