Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/minchoi/status/1778074187778683253?t=aiByp7lyj6Yo3FvkAIkrHg&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I actually kinda like it. feels disgusting to admit

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

First good use an LLM I’ve seen

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
AI notwithstanding, it's definitely true that this musical should exist. It would be amazing and lose $200m and destroy Broadway

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dune has to be a psychedelic rock opera. There's no other way to adapt it to a musical.

Dr. Yueh unplugs the Atreides amps at the end of act 2.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I yearn for the giant mechanical sandworm

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Starlight Express but with worms

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

This was made with thinking machines.

Are the ixian breaking the rules again?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You couldn't get me to listen to something called "Dune the Broadway Musical" if David Bowie was the composer and you held a gun to my head. gently caress off.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

You couldn't get me to listen to something called "Dune the Broadway Musical" if David Bowie was the composer and you held a gun to my head. gently caress off.

What if I told you it was composed by an AI backed by ridiculous amounts of techbro VC

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thou shalt not deform the soul.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I've had the idea for Dune the Broadway musical for years now and it must involve a very ironic tune of 'Walk Without Rhythm' and filling the stage with dancing Fremen for multiple numbers

Also probably structured like a rock opera

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Scags McDouglas posted:

w/r/t Prescience, Paul is navigating the narrow path. But did he really need to take two stab wounds from Feyd? Did the golden path (in the movie!!) not just indicate to him a way to avoid that or did he have to get pushed around for most of the fight?
In Messiah, he talks a bit about how prescience allows you to foresee and plan around long-term events, but it can't give you the kind of predictive ability that would help you win a fight, because in the critical moment, there are too many variables in play and too much happening too quickly.

Like for example, say you wanted to use prescience to walk through heavy traffic without being hit. This guy is spilling some coffee and not paying attention, this lady's on her phone, this guy is going to suddenly change lanes because he remembered he forgot to pick up his kids from soccer, this lady's brake pads have a 3% chance of failing suddenly, it's too much to take in.

Don't want to spoil it if you haven't seen it, but there's a point where Paul is able to literally see with his eyes closed, thanks to prescience, but this sight fails him as important events approach.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I've had the idea for Dune the Broadway musical for years now and it must involve a very ironic tune of 'Walk Without Rhythm' and filling the stage with dancing Fremen for multiple numbers

Also probably structured like a rock opera

It would be some jukebox thing set to the music of a millennial legacy act. Like, a combo of Beyonce and Jay-Z.

(Actually ...)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Huxley posted:

It would be some jukebox thing set to the music of a millennial legacy act. Like, a combo of Beyonce and Jay-Z.

(Actually ...)

The soundtrack of The Transformers: The Movie.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They do the JayZ thing but still have to hire a white boy for thematic purposes so they replace all the N words with "Fremen."

e: Stilgar doing all the DMX verses

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Baron von Eevl posted:

I mean no that would avoid the jihad (by effectively running his own smaller jihad) but it would still lead to the death of all humanity in the not too distant future.

That's what the characters believe justify their actions, yes. They're imperialist fundies after all

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Blood Boils posted:

That's what the characters believe justify their actions, yes. They're imperialist fundies after all

I'm getting tired of this bit, especially because it's increasingly clear you haven't read the books and are just pulling all this from half-read wiki articles

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's an important point that things aren't true just because a character says they are. It's inevitably going to come up when we're talking about a book full of characters who confidently express theories about politics and history and human and nature itself, and some of these theories are maybe endorsed by the author, maybe not.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I think treating prescience in Dune as JUST some made up political bullshit or rationalization or w/e misses a bit of what Herbert was going for. The problem with having a Führer isn't JUST that he needs to be a smarter or nicer dude, it's the Führer idea itself. Paul starts the story as a good kid who is impossibly competent and then levels up from that, and the result is STILL exponential space Hitler.

Nobody is good enough to be a messiah without it being a catastrophe, not even if they're a literal visionary.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Gaius Marius posted:

Zendaya is a good movie star and a poor actress

:wrong: she's incredible in Euphoria and deserves all the accolades she got for that

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm getting tired of this bit, especially because it's increasingly clear you haven't read the books and are just pulling all this from half-read wiki articles

Someone interrogating the premises of a story isn't a "bit."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I'd actually phrase that the other way around. Zendaya's performances are so naturalistic she's a good actress but sometimes not a great movie star.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

All the folks missing the point of the later books where Leto II and Paul's Golden Path was explicitly designed so that humanity would develop the means to defeat his prescience and stop an all-powerful space emperor from ever rising up who didn't have the best interests of humanity at heart like Paul and his offspring did. The No-Ships and development of FTL that didn't require Spice or thinking machines were to ensure that you could never again have a singular ruler in charge of everything, and to spread humanity out among the rest of the stars to ensure they could not be wiped out by apocalyptic disasters like AI.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Half the people "discussing" have never read the books

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Let the record show I have read all the Frank books and even 3 of Brian's lol and seen all the adaptations except SciFi's children and dunc 2 but I do plan on rectifying both. I have only played dune 2000.

I love dune and entertaining thoughts about it with my peers

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Schwarzwald posted:

Someone interrogating the premises of a story isn't a "bit."

It is kinda stupid though, because it doesn't go anywhere. See, here:

"What if he's wrong?". Then he's wrong. Guess it just sort of worked out lucky that every major issue he ever truly faced had his incorrect psychic visions give him the correct answer, and the only hardships he ever faced being when he didn't face the reality of his powers. Turns out he didn't really have perfect psychic powers at all and none of that mattered! Weird story I guess.

Or "What if he just saw the future he wanted to see and made it happen, and it's not the one true future?". Well then you get to the plot of the fifth book, where a character believes that Paul and Leto never actually saw possibilities, they just created the future with their visions, locking humanity into the one path they saw. And that Leto, immortal god emperor that he is, is still doing that and the remnants of his psyche must be wiped out to truly give humanity freedom. And the answer to that is is....it's irrelevant in anything but a philosophical sense? It's like debating free will versus determinism. They both lead to exactly the same place, why do you give a poo poo?

And that's it. That's all you can get to by rejecting the premise that the story is being honest with you about what they can do. And now we've done it.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

haven't seen dunc 2? what are you waiting for???

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
This is honestly the reason why I hate the sequels (and the Lynch movie) because people insert the later bullshit into the first book without realizing it was never there. There is no Golden Path in Dune, Paul's actions are not some benevolent "lesser evil" that he carries out to save the human race. There are no future AIs, fish people, or impending great extinctions. Paul sees early on that his quest for revenge will lead to a Jihad. He makes the choice to stay the path because he thinks that he can find an off ramp that lets him get his cake and eat it too. He wants revenge, but he also wants to avoid the Jihad, and ultimately, his gamble fails, and he is stuck on the Jihad path after a certain point.

The book is a story about how no one person should be invested with such power because it ultimately leads to disaster for the human race. As someone above said, even a literal uberman fucks up being the Messiah, so maybe don't raise a person to that position.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I can respect that stance although I do love the sequels and, despite what people have said, even they make the point that Paul NEVER walked the Golden Path. He saw it and rejected and none of his actions at any point in his story are influenced by it up until the final fifth of Children of Dune after his debate with Leto II. It has basically nothing to do with his motivations as a character, ESPECIALLY in the first book.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I mean correct me if I'm wrong and I'm pretty sure Frank Herbert even said this in an interview that Dune is a direct response to people blindly following JFK into Vietnam because he was charismatic.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

This is honestly the reason why I hate the sequels (and the Lynch movie) because people insert the later bullshit into the first book without realizing it was never there.

Herbert has talked about writing bits that would go on to be Messiah and Children before Dune came out. The ideas in question, Messiah as counter-point to the largely straightforward "heroic" narrative of Dune were always there. Indeed, the Jihad never happens in Dune. There are no consequences in Dune, the last bit of the story is Jessica telling Chani that history will call them wives. That's it. Paul has defeated his enemies, his house is in order, for the moment all is well. It's only in later works that we really see what the downside is, the cost. It's not the focus of Dune. Oh there's talk about how he's going to loose the Fremen, and how people will look back to the gentle ways of the Sardaukar, but then we continue into him carving up the galaxy for his friends and loved ones. Reassuring Chani that she's loved, looking out for his people, stuff like that.

You have to, as you say, look into the future works to truly call it a warning about raising a person to be a Messiah. Dune itself is pure victory, with only the lightest rumblings in the background that it's going to go bad. How the little bit about Pardot Kynes ends with it talking about how Dune was "afflicted" with a Hero is probably my favorite. It's not the focus though. It's not the message, it's not the tone it sets. That's the work as a whole, not that one novel.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

This is honestly the reason why I hate the sequels (and the Lynch movie) because people insert the later bullshit into the first book without realizing it was never there. There is no Golden Path in Dune, Paul's actions are not some benevolent "lesser evil" that he carries out to save the human race. There are no future AIs, fish people, or impending great extinctions. Paul sees early on that his quest for revenge will lead to a Jihad. He makes the choice to stay the path because he thinks that he can find an off ramp that lets him get his cake and eat it too. He wants revenge, but he also wants to avoid the Jihad, and ultimately, his gamble fails, and he is stuck on the Jihad path after a certain point.

We have the curse of prescience. We know exactly all the flaws of Paul, and that he is not a very robust made person, he is weak and kinda dumb and perhaps even made this way to be easy to manipulate by the Bene Gesserit.

Since we know Paul future, we can't see his present. You are right. And because you are right, you are wrong.

And this said the Zen-sunny master.

------

You made a good point, but what if we apply that to other novel series?, Is Frodo just some temporal carrier. Was Han Solo just some convenient roguet trader, a step in the path. Your suggestion even with merit would mean we have to delete every 2th and 3th book or movie in a serie and reinterpret what that leave us. And is just too hard, and not too interesting?

It seems a huge effort made only for the convenience of these that only want to read the first book, or watch the movies based on the first book. People don't raise this problem with LOTR. "Please, lets ignore the 2th book".

I don't even think the first book of Dune is the good parts of Dune. Is playing checkers, the later books are playing chess.

Tei fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 13, 2024

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s funny that the more you talk about about Dune the more you end up sounding like Leto II

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s funny that the more you talk about about Dune the more you end up sounding like Leto II

it absolutely rules

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mulva posted:

It is kinda stupid though, because it doesn't go anywhere. See, here:

[...]

And that's it. That's all you can get to by rejecting the premise that the story is being honest with you about what they can do. And now we've done it.

Unless I heavily misunderstood Blood Boils, I think they were primarily noting how Paul had a very particular set of biases, which would have factored into his decision making. I don't think that contradicts him being a powerful oracle or any other of the series premises.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's Always Zensunni on Arrakis

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

Don't doxx me just because my leviathan body has tempted me to plaster on a fake penis

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Scags McDouglas posted:

Don't doxx me just because my leviathan body has tempted me to plaster on a fake penis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CwB4T1nkaM

Poor Hwi Noree

(video is not related)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Arglebargle III posted:

There's no way metal eyes Jason Momoa actually makes it into the script, is there?

Why do you hire Jason Momoa to play a version of Duncan Idaho who only shows up for 5 minutes in the first movie?

They even changed Duncan's death from "ornithopter explosion" to "cut down by 6 sardaukar" to make his resurrection more plausible.