Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just found out about this today, is this true?

United States added a Trojan horse to gas pipeline control software that the Soviet Union obtained from Canada...which led to a huge explosion in a Siberia gas pipeline in 1982.

So the CIA has been doing Nordsteam since forever. I am trying to find the damage estimate of that explosion but I can't find it. I wonder if it was comparable to Nordsteam.

yep it is true. Canada was the preferred source for export-controlled products and CIA/NSA/FBI and so on would use that as a vector for literal terrorism whenever they could

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

Ah yeah I kinda forgot about INS. I think the 1000 pounder is actually the smallest they use too, no? There's FAB1000 and 1500 and those numbers are in kg rather than burger

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

I just found out about this today, is this true?

United States added a Trojan horse to gas pipeline control software that the Soviet Union obtained from Canada...which led to a huge explosion in a Siberia gas pipeline in 1982.

So the CIA has been doing Nordsteam since forever. I am trying to find the damage estimate of that explosion but I can't find it. I wonder if it was comparable to Nordsteam.

I posted about this poo poo like 10 times in this thread

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

fizziester posted:

Source: Politico

Russian military replaced Ukraine battlefield losses ‘far faster’ than expected, general warns
By CONNOR O’BRIEN
04/11/2024 11:48 AM EDT

The top U.S. commander in Europe and NATO is warning Congress that Russia has replaced its heavy battlefield losses in Ukraine, and did it faster than anticipated.

Gen. Christopher Cavoli, who heads up European Command and is also NATO’s supreme allied commander on the continent, made the case Thursday for long-stalled aid to Ukraine, telling senators that Kyiv “could lose” without further U.S. assistance.

“The overall message I would give you is [Russia’s military has] grown back to what they were before,” Cavoli told the Senate Armed Services Committee. “They’ve got some gaps that have been produced by this war, but their overall capacity is very significant still, and they intend to make it go higher.”

In a written statement, Cavoli also sounded the alarm that Russia’s army has even more manpower than when it launched its full invasion in February 2022. Moscow has also boosted its frontline troop strength from 360,000 to 470,000 soldiers, he noted.

Russia is reconstituting that force far faster than our initial estimates suggested,” Cavoli wrote. “The army is actually now larger — by 15 percent — than it was when it invaded Ukraine.”

The four-star general told senators that Russia has also replenished its heavy tank losses on the battlefield and now operates as many tanks in Ukraine as it did during the beginning of the full conflict...

very clearly recall that Russia's vehicle reserves and the Russian ability to repair, modernize, and send into the field those vehicles was explicitly identified as a Russian weakness

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
INFINITE TANKS

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Congratulations to the international freedom fighters

(What did Sonia Guajajara do to deserve ending up on this blighted list?)

many people have tried to prevent the speech of Brown Moses...

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Leandros posted:

Ah yeah I kinda forgot about INS. I think the 1000 pounder is actually the smallest they use too, no? There's FAB1000 and 1500 and those numbers are in kg rather than burger

Current lineup in use seem to be 250, 500, 1000 and 1500. The 500 family has also been used in thermobaric and cluster variant.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
How many poods is 500kg??

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

How many poods is 500kg??

Well if you use the current rounded value used for weight lifting measurement, it would be 31.25 poods.

With the older historical pood, it's 30.52503052503053 pood or about 1221 funt.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

Same, but because people insist on using imperial system.

that's what i meant yes, the weight is in the loving name lmao

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

really should be in metric, as in, a 1000kg bomb

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Apparently they will be unveiling a 3000 kg version of the glide bomb soon, experts are speculating that it will be roughly twice as devastating as the 1500 kg bomb they are currently using.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Starsfan posted:

Apparently they will be unveiling a 3000 kg version of the glide bomb soon, experts are speculating that it will be roughly twice as devastating as the 1500 kg bomb they are currently using.

They will definitely test it but the aerodynamics of a 3000KG bomb might be too lovely to be practical in a glide deployment.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

supersnowman posted:

They will definitely test it but the aerodynamics of a 3000KG bomb might be too lovely to be practical in a glide deployment.

just give it bigger wings

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You'd be surprised. A narrow body airliner weighs ~70 tons, a widebody ~200 tons, and they can often spend most of their descent gliding on a three degree glide path. That's assuming a maximally efficient glide though, which is going to be quite slow relatively speaking (like 450 knots true air speed decelerating to 250ish at sea level due to increasing air density). And glider aircraft are far more efficient still. It really depends on how big a pair of wings you want to put on it.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

euphronius posted:

those vital elements in the life of Western civilisation which have been the secrets of its strength, and the greatest of its gifts to the world: the sovereignty of a just and rational system of law, liberty of person, of thought, and of speech, and, finally, where the conditions are favourable, the practice of self-government and the growth of that sentiment of common interest which we call the national spirit. These are the features of Western civilisation which have justified its conquest of the world;

just absolutely incredible

I’m a conference today, where the winning bid for the Afghan war monument was discussed - it’s going to be a woman in a Niqab. They’re just not sure if it’s gonna be an abstract representation, like a veil hanging over the monument with a horizontal slit exposed letting light in, or more a more literal statue of a woman in a niqab.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Megamissen posted:

You still have to hitch it under a SU-34/SU-35 to be of real tactical use and while the plane can carry a load that heavy, it usually consist of multiple smaller bombs.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Megamissen posted:

slap putlers XXXL table onto that bad boy and you could glide halfway around the world

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

sullat posted:

Yeah it came out just before Nordstream in some CIA guy's memoirs.

the Siberian pipeline explosion has been a known CIA op for quite a while. I don't recall which book I read it in first but it's been public for many years prior to Nordstream blowing up

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I’m a conference today, where the winning bid for the Afghan war monument was discussed - it’s going to be a woman in a Niqab. They’re just not sure if it’s gonna be an abstract representation, like a veil hanging over the monument with a horizontal slit exposed letting light in, or more a more literal statue of a woman in a niqab.

a solemn reminder of all the ones our special forces missed

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

supersnowman posted:

You still have to hitch it under a SU-34/SU-35 to be of real tactical use and while the plane can carry a load that heavy, it usually consist of multiple smaller bombs.

just give the jet bigger wings too dumbass

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

supersnowman posted:

why wouldn't they just use a tu-160?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

FirstnameLastname posted:

just give the jet bigger wings too dumbass

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If your jet is not fat enough to hang a FAB3000, just hang 2 FAB1500.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

That's insane and perverse

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Torpor posted:

That's insane and perverse

and the rest of it is pretty loony tunes as well

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lmao the west is just collectively losing their loving minds

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lmao the west is just collectively losing their loving minds

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

(muttering) jesus christ

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

supersnowman posted:

Close enough only matters in horseshoes and 3000kg bombs

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
They should add a slide pointing out the whole thing is also a tortured metaphor with a picture of Bagram Air Base beneath it.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Hatebag posted:

why wouldn't they just use a tu-160?

Putting strategic bombers 40-70km from the frontline will probably be a bet too risky for the Russians. The Ukrainians always notice when large bombers take off.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

when you describe it like that, it sounds like a victory monument for the taliban lmao

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Is there any background on the thought process here?

Delta-Wye posted:

when you describe it like that, it sounds like a victory monument for the taliban lmao

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Officer Sandvich posted:

just countries posting their Ls

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Officer Sandvich posted:

Excellent question. No, none. I have no idea what anyone involved was thinking.

I suggested we just contemporize the South African War Monument, since the visual language is more clear and straight forward.

If we're going to pretend we won, as you say, we may as well actually do it, instead of retroactively saying we went there for women's rights, and then lost.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

If we're going to pretend we won, as you say, we may as well actually do it, instead of retroactively saying we went there for women's rights, and then lost.

Does the army really say we went to Afghanistan for women's right?

WTF???

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

supersnowman posted:

Does the army really say we went to Afghanistan for women's right?

WTF???

No, the army does not, the liberal government does.

It's been a contentious issue since 2002, the army resented the poo poo out of the war.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin keeps trying to kill BBC journalists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Yeah, what ever happened to a nice statue of a guy on a horse.

Isn't Canada one of the biggest producers of softwood lumber worldwide? If not the biggest?

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The Expansion of Europe: The Culmination of Modern History, Seeley

Thankfully, much like the Ukrainian counter offensive, Europe's expansion culminated too soon.

Ardennes posted:

Btw, supposedly the amount of apartment buildings that have been hit by the Russians has declined to pretty much nil along with the strength of Ukrainian AD. It is so weird!

Also, it seems like they are consistently accurate on their targets as well...so strange.

Glad to hear Russia has improved the accuracy of their S300s in ground attack mode