Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

Skill issue.

Scale issue

(jk, i love whoever we're talking about)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny
Oct 26, 2003
My leg hurts....

Prop Wash posted:

this is totally incomprehensible

I THINK they're sarcastically saying that koolaid-drinking morons will whatabout 'how bad the americans treat enlisted' hard enough to say child soldiers have it better and thus, there is no room to complain.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Tiny Timbs posted:

Ironically goons thinking the US has a monopoly on everything from imperial measurements to bad tourists is itself a form of American exceptionalism

This is Britain erasure :britain:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Prop Wash posted:

this is totally incomprehensible
Glad to see my posts are having the intended effect :hmmyes:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

No that was some “community college philosophy professor makes class buy their book” level poo poo.

Please TLDR in 1 or 2 sentences.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Discussion Quorum posted:

The English and the Chinese are pretty close in the awful tourist competition.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

psydude posted:

In Japan, a lot of the train stations have started using turnstiles that are open by default and only close if you don't scan a valid ticket.

Charging people at the point of use for a service that’s generally a clear public good and gets better the closer it gets to capacity is silly policy making in the first place. Fares add unnecessary friction to a system that should be optimized for throughput to do what exactly, give people an incentive to drive instead of taking transit? There are ways to fund trains and trams and buses without fares and they would all be a better experience for it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

goatsestretchgoals posted:

No that was some “community college philosophy professor makes class buy their book” level poo poo.

That reminds me. My community college compsci professor wrote, and self-published, his own textbook. And the class did have to buy it.

Unlimited extra credit was available for finding typos and the like.

I still use it, even now! It's the perfect size to prop up my monitor. :getin:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

code:
do
    print “penus “
until 0

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Charging people at the point of use for a service that’s generally a clear public good and gets better the closer it gets to capacity is silly policy making in the first place. Fares add unnecessary friction to a system that should be optimized for throughput to do what exactly, give people an incentive to drive instead of taking transit? There are ways to fund trains and trams and buses without fares and they would all be a better experience for it.

I'm not sure what point you're responding to here, but I was simply pointing out that the OP's complaints about getting stuck in a turnstile have been addressed by the Japanese, thus rendering them a suitable replacement to the secret train police.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Quackles posted:

A strangely good idea

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Quackles posted:

That reminds me. My community college compsci professor wrote, and self-published, his own textbook. And the class did have to buy it.

I still use it, even now! It's the perfect size to prop up my monitor. :getin:

I actually preferred when the prof wrote the text book, because chances are it was only going to be between twenty and fifty bucks and if you where lucky you could even get a copy for free if you knew people who had already taken the class. Unlike if you needed a text book from a large publisher, which was gonna run you more than a 100 bucks and there was nearly no chance of a hand me down.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

psydude posted:

I'm not sure what point you're responding to here, but I was simply pointing out that the OP's complaints about getting stuck in a turnstile have been addressed by the Japanese, thus rendering them a suitable replacement to the secret train police.

Not them, but I get the feeling the gist was basically "maximizing the usage of public transit makes it even more efficient. Therefore, public transit should be free to better maximize usage of public transit."

And I agree with that sentiment.

Oh, they need funding? Well, what are all the taxes that should be paying for them being spent on instead?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

pseudosavior posted:

Not them, but I get the feeling the gist was basically "maximizing the usage of public transit makes it even more efficient. Therefore, public transit should be free to better maximize usage of public transit."

And I agree with that sentiment.

Oh, they need funding? Well, what are all the taxes that should be paying for them being spent on instead?

Yup, exactly this. The design of the turnstile, or turnstiles vs fare enforcement employees isn't really the point. When you take into account the avoided infrastructure costs and various externalities from someone taking a trip on most public transportation (there are some ill conceived exceptions) instead of driving, the goal should be to make it as easy as possible to take mass transit. Yet charging a fare, going through the process of confirming that fare at the point of use, and adding overhead to enforce fares is standard practice practically everywhere, just feels like one of those absurd things where there's an easier and better answer right there.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ford Bronco Sport, OJ Simpson Recalled On Same Day

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Looks like Ford is taking action here, unlike OJ who never found the "real killer".

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
Mass stabbing at a Syndey Shopping Centre

Reports of 6 dead and more injured. No seems to know what the gently caress is going on yet.

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
One of the victims is a 9 month old baby.
NSW Ambulance is say there is 2 offenders, police killed 1 bloke, another still on the run.

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
5 Confirmed dead, more in hospital, some critical.
Police confident it was a single person acting alone. I have seen photo of a bloke wear an Australian Rugby jersey holding a big rear end knife. He was shot and killed by a female inspector who happened to be at the center at the time. No word on motivation yet.
There is some pretty graphic photos and videos out there, be careful what you are searching.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

bad_fmr posted:

Back in the day in Finland it was basically a hobby for many broke rear end teenagers including myself to travel by train without buying tickets. Just go to the restaurant car and look extremely bored or read a book or something and very rarely the conductors bothered to ask for the ticket. If you get caught once in a blue moon, eh you pay the extra fee as cost of doing business.

I like Finnish trains, so much better than the ones in the UK, cheaper too.

I travelled from Helsinki to Oulu, a cabin was just 30 Euros for the trip. The ticket inspectors were nice as well.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Discussion Quorum posted:

Gotta do what daddy did, hence the phrase "the sun only sets on the American Empire 0-3 hours a day, depending on time of year"

CommieGIR posted:

God I miss Japanese public transit. Not so much the work schedules. Still, I'd move there in a heartbeat if I could.

Between that, and the fact that Japanese people follow a standard social etiquette, walking on the right side of the path, standing to one side on an escalator, so people in a hurry can pass, not waking looking at the phone, queueing in a quick and orderly manner, it's incredible the massive crowds of people it can handle, like an NYC subway feels equally crowded with half the people.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Elviscat posted:

not waking looking at the phone

Not in any part of Japan I've ever been to, lol. It's a problem and I see (and have to dodge around) people doing it constantly. I even see people doing it on bicycles, just leaning forwards onto the handlebars while scrolling through stuff on their phone.

The escalator thing is actually kind of interesting, though. Stations and department stores and etc. put up signs and occasionally run announcements asking people to stay still on both sides of the escalator instead of walking up. Walking up is slightly more dangerous, and people standing on one side puts unbalanced wear on the escalators and increases maintenance costs, so the companies who own and maintain the facilities would prefer people stand still. But everyone just ignores all of that and does the standing/walking separation thing anyway. The side that people walk up the escalator on is also reversed in Kansai (the part of the country around Osaka).

Japanese train stations are not an absolute 100% utopia - there are still some habits people have that make things worse for everyone else. People running into the train just as the doors close, causing the train to be late; people crowding around the doors instead of going further in the train; people with backpacks hitting people when they turn around, etc etc.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’d imagine all the sex and groping in the Japanese trains would be bothersome too.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Maybe calm your imagination down dad

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Crab Dad posted:

I’d imagine all the sex and groping in the Japanese trains would be bothersome too.

I think you’ll find that half of the people involved in the groping find it to be quite enjoyable, so it’s a tricky one to call.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

I think you’ll find that half of the people involved in the groping find it to be quite enjoyable, so it’s a tricky one to call.

“Just grab ‘em by the 😺”
-45th, and last legitimately elected and long form birth certificate submitted bestest President ever, Donlad J Trump.

:trumpsmug:

Triggered much libtards?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vintage shim energy making a comeback.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

I think everyone knows I’m nuts, but not MAGA nuts.

MAGA, not even once.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Midjack posted:

mustve ran out of anti-psychotics

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Psychotic? Don't mind if I do!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I think everyone knows I’m nuts, but not MAGA nuts.

MAGA, not even once.

Oh I know, the over the top style itself is kind of a throwback. :cheerdoge:

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Midjack posted:

Oh I know, the over the top style itself is kind of a throwback. :cheerdoge:

Right on, brother. :cheers:

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Iran launched dozens of drones against Israel. They're still en route apparently.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
begun, the drone wars have

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bored As gently caress posted:

Iran launched dozens of drones against Israel. They're still en route apparently.

Guessing Iran using DRONES won't be super effective.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_PrZ-J7D3k

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Guessing Iran using DRONES won't be super effective.

My biggest concern would be drone swarms as decoys to overwhelm air defenses.

Ie, how the coalition completely clowned the Iraqi defenses in 1991.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

My biggest concern would be drone swarms as decoys to overwhelm air defenses.

Ie, how the coalition completely clowned the Iraqi defenses in 1991.

This is probably the goal. They might launch IRBMs or have Hezbollah fire off a sizeable part of their rocket reserves while Israel's air defenses are tied up.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1779263867840860565?t=jl_rwQN1mfsa2mkV80dNtw&s=19

That's a whole lotta poo poo in the air. Still on team "don't escalate you dumb idiots" but will be interesting to see what gets through and what Iran targetted.

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I'm tired of bad poo poo happening.