Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Barret not wanting to murder people anymore is kind of central to his character after he encountered his best friend who went whole hog on the murder.

When does he stop mowing down Shinra soldiers and or chiding Yuffie for being a ninja that stalks in the shadows to slit people's throats when he would much rather use bombs to blow poo poo up? He felt remorse about his friend just losing it, is a great dad to Marlene, but he's never had any qualms about sending people back to the planet if they get in his way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hey, after meeting his ex-bestie he gunned down a bunch of people on bikes and then went "I think Dyne would be proud".

Anyway, its easy enough to rationalise an explanation for why Barret is not supporting Cloud in Turk murder at the Ancient Temple (maybe he just feels weird about doing an after battle execution with the two kids in the party being about) but also probably more importantly than that FF7 is just a video game where the charmining & goofy recurring midboss squad were also responsible for a mass amount of civilian deaths in the prologue. And that sort of strangeness in FF7 is something this remake project wants to maintain.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jiro posted:

When does he stop mowing down Shinra soldiers and or chiding Yuffie for being a ninja that stalks in the shadows to slit people's throats when he would much rather use bombs to blow poo poo up? He felt remorse about his friend just losing it, is a great dad to Marlene, but he's never had any qualms about sending people back to the planet if they get in his way.

He literally does after Dyne dies. He talks to Tifa about their guilt. In the original game he turns down leadership because of the guilt he felt over engaging in violence out of a desire to hurt people.

He is still willing to fight but he isn't willing to murder prisoners.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Hey, after meeting his ex-bestie he gunned down a bunch of people on bikes and then went "I think Dyne would be proud".

Anyway, its easy enough to rationalize an explanation for why Barret is not supporting Cloud in Turk murder at the Ancient Temple (maybe he just feels weird about doing an after battle execution with the two kids in the party being about) but also probably more importantly than that FF7 is just a video game where the charming & goofy recurring mid-boss squad were also responsible for a mass amount of civilian deaths in the prologue. And that sort of strangeness in FF7 is something this remake project wants to maintain.

Yeah you're not wrong, but the better this game looks and the more time we spend in it, the more that poo poo sticks out to me. Sorry for the derail. I'd just like Rufus, Turks, and the Entire Shinra board to be super dead, yes even a worm like Reeve, and no I've never really cared for Cait Sith. Because even though they're not some half alien entity that now sits apart from a flow of Life Energy that fosters life on the planet, they're part of a despotic ruling class that enabled said entity to exist in the first place and poo poo like that needs a guillotine to be put to work.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 12, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

It would be pretty out of character for Barrett and Tifa to be totally cool with executing wounded enemies that can’t fight back after a lot of time was spent diving into the guilt they feel for the casualties from their fighting.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I can respect not liking the Turks (couldn't be me tho) but I draw the line at disliking Cait Sith. He's so trustworthy and reliable!!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

To be fair it's also in character for them to just let a person who's suffering massive mental trauma lead them around and let him fight and wield crazy powerful magic, while he winces in pain clutching his head, and straight up wounded the girl he likes(?) because a hallucination told him to.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jiro posted:

Yeah you're not wrong, but the better this game looks and the more time we spend in it, the more that poo poo sticks out to me. Sorry for the derail. I'd just like Rufus, Turks, and the Entire Shinra board to be super dead, yes even a worm like Reeve, and no I've never really cared for Cait Sith. Because even though they're not some half alien entity that now sits apart from a flow of Life Energy that fosters life on the planet, they're part of a despotic ruling class that enabled said entity to exist in the first place and poo poo like that needs a guillotine to be put to work.

I mean you're not wrong, but Rufus aside, most of them are literal pawns, even Reeve who just wanted to run a drat city. If you're going "Everyone in Shinra needs to die" then it's worth pointing out that Cloud and Zack are both ex-SOLDIERS (Well, ex soldier in Cloud's case.), Cid is an ex-Shinra pilot and Vincent is an ex-Turk.

poo poo, in Remakeverse Cid was literally hanging out in the lab where Aerith's mom is and points out that "them Shinra boys still got their uses"

Rufus getting a redemption arc is pretty poo poo but at bare minimum they appear to be trying a bit more to justify him as being manipulated and a pawn himself.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 12, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Jiro posted:

To be fair it's also in character for them to just let a person who's suffering massive mental trauma lead them around and let him fight and wield crazy powerful magic, while he winces in pain clutching his head, and straight up wounded the girl he likes(?) because a hallucination told him to.

Barrett has lost confidence in his own ability to be a leader and desperately wants Cloud to continue being the guy he can rely on. Tifa is terrified that if she says the wrong thing Cloud will go off the deep end, and she’s probably right about that.
there’s just not really any good way for them to handle Cloud’s issues with the knowledge available to them besides just hoping that taking down Sephiroth will make it better.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

poo poo, in Remakeverse Cid was literally hanging out in the lab where Aerith's mom is and points out that "them Shinra boys still got their uses"

I flipped my poo poo when he said that, like no one just pointed out that, "Woah, wait you saw her being experimented on and all you could think of was, nice you're pretty??"

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I kinda doubt he saw her being experimented on.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

What can anyone actually do about Cloud being bugfuck nuts except try to reason with him?

The party really needs Cloud as he is by far their strongest fighter, but he also is clearly veering back and forth between being completely insane and normal competent Cloud. There is no alternative to keeping him around that doesn't end in Sephiroth butchering the entire party.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RevolverDivider posted:

What can anyone actually do about Cloud being bugfuck nuts except try to reason with him?

The party really needs Cloud as he is by far their strongest fighter, but he also is clearly veering back and forth between being completely insane and normal competent Cloud. There is no alternative to keeping him around that doesn't end in Sephiroth butchering the entire party.

There genuinely isn't.

Like even if the rest of the part was like "Welp, gently caress Cloud," Tifa and Aerith are not the kind of people who would just ditch him, Barret isn't the kind of guy who would abandon Tifa, and at that point the only person in the party who might otherwise leave is Yuffie but Yuffie has multiple reasons for hanging out with the party and also likes them.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

RevolverDivider posted:

At the very least they could ask him about what's going on inside his head to figure out his triggers and try to avoid them.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Barret is also genuinely pretty tight with Cloud by this point.

Sometimes you just want to believe in your friend. It also doesn't help that by Chapter 13 the party has seen Cloud push through these episodes a couple of times (ok one time he only got through it because of guilt thinking he killed Tifa, but still). He's just relapsed hard.

ZiegeDame posted:

At the very least they could ask him about what's going on inside his head to figure out his triggers and try to avoid them.

Tifa literally does this. Several times

E: Like, I think one of the emotional beats that really hits for me in the last 3rd of the game is how you can see Tifa really trying to come up with a strategy on how to "handle" Cloud. Keep asking him if he's having weird Sephiroth thoughts lately, always ask how he's feeling but clearly don't trust whatever answer he gives, don't bring up the contradictions in their stories, lie to him that everything's fine to assure him, don't talk about Zack. It's great. That poo poo owns. You think they've made a breakthrough after Gongaga but actually it just gets worse.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 13, 2024

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
All this talk is telling me is that Cloud is a MASTER gaslighter

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I look forward to the most stabilizing influence on Cloud being trans-dimensional conversations with Aerith that the rest of the party can only hear one side of.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The ending cutscene shows those conversations are not stabilising in the slightest

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Well just wait for everything else in his life to get way, way worse

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

That sort I really waiver on since in my personal life of dealing with, assisting, conversing with someone that had severe disassociative Schizophrenia.

Like yeah you can't just ditch him in Nu Niebelheim cause he'll just break out on his own and run amok.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ZiegeDame posted:

Well just wait for everything else in his life to get way, way worse

i don't think there's gonna be much resembling a "stabilizing influence" for him when he's catatonic in a wheelchair

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Augus posted:

i don't think there's gonna be much resembling a "stabilizing influence" for him when he's catatonic in a wheelchair

That'd be the wheel chair brake.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Anyway, I imagine an Aerith will be providing assistance in solving Cloud's issues when Cloud and Tifa fall into the lifestream and I have mixed feelings about that but I will probably get emotional when that leads to Tifa seeing Aerith again.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway, I imagine an Aerith will be providing assistance in solving Cloud's issues when Cloud and Tifa fall into the lifestream and I have mixed feelings about that
Pffffff..... everyone wanted the drat thruple, but then when your dead friend is pulling strings so you can hook up under an airship, suddenly there's a lot of cold feet.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I figure the Turks might kill Don Corneo next game, but maybe they'll keep him alive.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

bobjr posted:

I figure the Turks might kill Don Corneo next game, but maybe they'll keep him alive.

If anything can complete the heel face turn...

I mean, morally, yeah, the Turks suck so much, but if they put Corneo out in a way that isn't kill stealing, it'd go a long way in my book.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I mean remember also that Tifa and the gang aren’t privy to the full story of what the gently caress is going on with Cloud. To be frank, from their perspective, all they can really do is minimize his instability and hope they can wrap this poo poo up fast enough that he gets to have a few years of peace before the degradation puts him down for good. They don’t know about the Jenova cells or the Sephiroth brain ghosts or that he could be brought back from the brink with a genuine intervention, the story everyone is telling them is that all SOLDIERs have an expiration date and, by all appearances, Cloud’s is coming up soon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobjr posted:

Canonically he survived being dropped off a cliff, but that story loving sucks and I hope they just hose his rear end.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
It's really to imagine Remake Elena getting kidnapped and then not finding out every member of the Corneo Family has died of grenade suppository before your halfway up the statue.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Coreno and his lackeys are like the Turks where there's a bit of inconsistent tone with them. Like on the one hand they're these goofy almost Team Rocket esque goofballs who provide silly commentary on Cloud's fights and have their balls threatened to be crushed by Aerith, but then you remember they're all are a group of creepy sex-traffickers who take advantage of people at their lowest.

I'm looking forward to Corneo getting his final comeuppance in part 3.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I hope Don Corneo bites it so Dio can hire Scotch and Kotch as color commentary for the musclehead colosseum.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Namnesor posted:

I hope Don Corneo bites it so Dio can hire Scotch and Kotch as color commentary for the musclehead colosseum.

I kind of assumed that happened around the time of the Turks fight. Y'know, when he was doing triple commentary with them. They're Saucer men now.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

tracecomplete posted:

I kind of assumed that happened around the time of the Turks fight. Y'know, when he was doing triple commentary with them. They're Saucer men now.

Sadly, they’re still working for Corneo during the second half of the Corel protorelic quest

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if they're even going to do the "Corneo kidnaps Yuffie and Elena" plot at all considering how different Wutai is in this version of the story.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Having to fight multiple iterations of two super bosses in the advanced six person is killing me. That's so many times I have to fight King Zu, does anyone have any tips beyond putting him to sleep? I got through the first set but having to do this over and over...

I need to get the Gotterdammerung, don't I?

Rhonne posted:

I wonder if they're even going to do the "Corneo kidnaps Yuffie and Elena" plot at all considering how different Wutai is in this version of the story.

I'd be shocked if they don't, tbh. I really do want to kill him and Gus, honestly more than the Turks. Yuffie's 14 you creeps!

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
She's 16 in the OG so I'm pretty sure that's the same in rebirth isn't it

It's still extremely young and creepy for sure

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Cavelcade posted:

I'd be shocked if they don't, tbh. I really do want to kill him and Gus, honestly more than the Turks. Yuffie's 14 you creeps!

Yeah, but why would Corneo be able to set up operations in Wutai while a war is going on? Unless they want to make Wutai and the SRC more shady by having them work with Corneo.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think Zack in Crisis Core was the same age then as Yuffie is now, which is kind of funny and weird

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

I think Zack in Crisis Core was the same age then as Yuffie is now, which is kind of funny and weird

Cloud was the same age as Yuffie when he killed Sephiroth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Rhonne posted:

Yeah, but why would Corneo be able to set up operations in Wutai while a war is going on? Unless they want to make Wutai and the SRC more shady by having them work with Corneo.

Corneo could just be doing good old fashioned black-market war profiteering. Not like Wutai could spare any resources to stop him, they'll be too busy with the war.